PDA

View Full Version : White Sox May Pursue Yoenis Cespedes After Dealing Carlos Quentin

Fenway
01-01-2012, 01:46 AM
http://www.nesn.com/2011/12/report-white-sox-may-pursue-yoenis-cespedes-after-dealing-carlos-quentin.html

SoxSpeed22
01-01-2012, 02:00 AM
I don't think we have $60 million to spend. I think the Fish would be his best fit. The Yanks already have Granderson and I doubt the Red Sox want to throw more money at another outfielder after the whole Crawford thing.

LITTLE NELL
01-01-2012, 06:36 AM
It's the only thing that makes sense after getting just about nothing for TCQ.

EMachine10
01-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Knobler wrote about this maybe a week ago - link is posted somewhere in the Winter Meetings thread, I believe. I can buy it.

DirtySox
01-01-2012, 10:12 AM
I don't buy it at all.

Noneck
01-01-2012, 10:45 AM
If they are bidding against cubs, yanks and bsox, the Sox will fold their hand early.

DirtySox
01-01-2012, 10:53 AM
If they are bidding against cubs, yanks and bsox, the Sox will fold their hand early.

Right. I'm sure the Sox are interested, but at the purported price? I'd be pretty shocked if they signed him. I'll guess he ends up with the Marlins.

WhiteSox5187
01-01-2012, 01:01 PM
The guy is going to command a lot of money and allegedly we don't have a lot to spend. I would like to see him here and maybe he could fit into a long term plan but I am dubious of Kenny throwing money at more guys.

cards press box
01-01-2012, 01:45 PM
It's the only thing that makes sense after getting just about nothing for TCQ.

It's a little early to say that. Simon Castro battled injuries and, according to KW, some mechanical issues in 2011. I find it a little hard to say that a 23 year old power pitcher that Baseball Prospectus rated as the #2 prospect in the Padre system in 2010 and 2011 is suddenly a bust because of an injury plagued season. If KW is right about Castro having mechanical flaws in his delivery similar to those of Jose Contreras circa 2004, then this could work out very well for the Sox.

I don't know much about Pedro Hernandez but a lefty with three pitches and some success in the low to mid minors merits watching.

Right. I'm sure the Sox are interested, but at the purported price? I'd be pretty shocked if they signed him. I'll guess he ends up with the Marlins.

I don't see the Cubs, Yanks or Red Sox bidding hard on Cespedes. After the Jason Frasor trade today, I'm starting to think that the Sox might well do so.

DumpJerry
01-01-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't see the Cubs, Yanks or Red Sox bidding hard on Cespedes. After the Jason Frasor trade today, I'm starting to think that the Sox might well do so.
The Cubs are pursuing Fielder-they don't have anyone playing First right now. Until Fielder signs with someone, the Cubs can't make a big contract with someone else. Remember, the Cubs keep telling us they are broke....

russ99
01-01-2012, 02:02 PM
The guy is going to command a lot of money and allegedly we don't have a lot to spend. I would like to see him here and maybe he could fit into a long term plan but I am dubious of Kenny throwing money at more guys.

They threw good money at Ramirez and Viciedo, so there is some precedent. Also, this would be from the development budget and not the major league payroll.

Considering the Sox can now compete at the draft with the new slotting rules, I can see Jerry taking a shot at this, especially considering our OF prospects coming up the next 2-3 years aren't looking too good other than Trayce Thompson, and he's not a sure thing at this point.

DirtySox
01-01-2012, 02:11 PM
They threw good money at Ramirez and Viciedo, so there is some precedent. Also, this would be from the development budget and not the major league payroll.

Considering the Sox can now compete at the draft with the new slotting rules, I can see Jerry taking a shot at this, especially considering our OF prospects coming up the next 2-3 years aren't looking too good other than Trayce Thompson, and he's not a sure thing at this point.

But the amount of money that Cespedes is going to get should trump what Dayan and Alexei received. Also, despite the new slotting rules it won't force the White Sox to spend on the draft. It reigns in teams like the Royals, Blue Jays, Rangers, Rays, and Red Sox, but Jerry/Kenny can still choose to be cheap if they desire.

Foulke You
01-01-2012, 02:50 PM
They threw good money at Ramirez and Viciedo, so there is some precedent.
The fact that two of his fellow countrymen play on the Sox is definitely a valuable bargaining chip as well. Obviously, money is going to do a lot of the talking but if he is weighing multiple offers and the Sox are even close to the other teams, he may choose to play here for the comfort level and ease of transitioning to a new country and culture.

central44
01-01-2012, 04:20 PM
The fact that two of his fellow countrymen play on the Sox is definitely a valuable bargaining chip as well. Obviously, money is going to do a lot of the talking but if he is weighing multiple offers and the Sox are even close to the other teams, he may choose to play here for the comfort level and ease of transitioning to a new country and culture.

I think this is key, it's the biggest selling point the Sox have if Cubans aren't afforded the same help transitioning as other foreign players.

cws05champ
01-01-2012, 04:24 PM
I would rather they go after Jorge Soler. Younger guy(19) that by all accounts may only need a couple years in the minors, will cost much less and has similar upside to Cespedes.

DirtySox
01-01-2012, 06:31 PM
I would rather they go after Jorge Soler. Younger guy(19) that by all accounts may only need a couple years in the minors, will cost much less and has similar upside to Cespedes.

I'd prefer Soler as well. I think he'll fit the Sox timetable to contention better.

Thome25
01-01-2012, 06:35 PM
I posted this in the Frasor thread but, it is worth mentioning here too:

I tend to believe that the Sox are in on Cespedes especially with the recent salary dumps of Quentin and Frasor:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/8386/both-chicago-clubs-may-pursue-cespedes

“What I will say is there are some doors that are now open for us that were not open yesterday because of the savings of dollars. But, which direction we are heading with that, [talking about it] I think would be counterproductive with us getting something done should we decide to go down that road.”

This isn't the first I've heard of their interest. They supposedly held a workout for him a couple of weeks ago and there may be a high comfort level for Cespedes with the White Sox given their recent history with Cuban ballplayers.

balke
01-01-2012, 06:59 PM
A five-tool, high-ceiling guy with some concerns about his swing more likely to hit 30 homers than hit .300 and probably compares best to somebody like Cameron Maybin, but with more power if less range and speed.

Sounds more like a faster expensive Joe Borchard waiting to happen. Then again, at least Walker is not given the task of developing him if he comes here.

WhiteSox5187
01-01-2012, 07:37 PM
I'd prefer Soler as well. I think he'll fit the Sox timetable to contention better.

If Soler has to go through the Sox system it increases the chances of the White Sox screwing him up somewhere along the way.

soxfanreggie
01-01-2012, 09:52 PM

For the Sox, we would have to backload his deal, like we did with Danks. Danks isn't making much more in 2012, if anything, than he would have made with arbitration.

When looking at what we spent on Ramirez and Viciedo, you're talking about $4.75M is what we spent on Alexei's first deal. His extension is what netted him over $30 million. With Viciedo, he's making $10 million over 4 years. That's a far cry from the much, much more they're thinking about for Cespedes.

Foulke You
01-03-2012, 02:04 PM
That's a far cry from the much, much more they're thinking about for Cespedes.
The market for Cespedes has yet to be set. The media is speculating right now that it could be in the $30-50 million range but the price could fall below those expectations. I don't think the Sox are a favorite to land Cespedes but I wouldn't dismiss them as being a contender for him.

On a different note, I wonder what the Sox outfield would look like **if** they did end up signing him? Would it push Rios into a reserve role? Would De Aza get edged out of a starting spot? If so, where would our leadoff man come from? I just can't envision a scenario where our $14 million CF Rios is sitting on the bench but you never know.

DonnieDarko
01-03-2012, 02:18 PM
The market for Cespedes has yet to be set. The media is speculating right now that it could be in the $30-50 million range but the price could fall below those expectations. I don't think the Sox are a favorite to land Cespedes but I wouldn't dismiss them as being a contender for him.

On a different note, I wonder what the Sox outfield would look like **if** they did end up signing him? Would it push Rios into a reserve role? Would De Aza get edged out of a starting spot? If so, where would our leadoff man come from? I just can't envision a scenario where our $14 million CF Rios is sitting on the bench but you never know.

I think the obvious answer is that De Aza becomes the odd man out.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
01-03-2012, 02:40 PM
I think the obvious answer is that De Aza becomes the odd man out.

Then we would have no leadoff man whatsoever...also, why would De Aza be unceremoniously discarded for a guy who has never seen a pitch at an MLB level? If the Sox sign Cespedes, they will send him down to AA/AAA for a while to get him acclimated before they send him up, meaning De Aza would start.

A defensive outfield of Viciedo/Rios/Cespedes makes me want to vomit in terror.

doublem23
01-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Then we would have no leadoff man whatsoever...also, why would De Aza be unceremoniously discarded for a guy who has never seen a pitch at an MLB level? If the Sox sign Cespedes, they will send him down to AA/AAA for a while to get him acclimated before they send him up, meaning De Aza would start.

I don't know, depends on who you ask, Cespedes is a legit star defensive CF. I've never seen the guy play, so I can't comment on it.

DonnieDarko
01-03-2012, 02:49 PM

Oh, I mean after some seasoning in the minors De Aza will be the odd man out in the starting role. And yes, I know that we would be without a traditional leadoff hitter, and that kinda worries me.

But I do believe that that is the most likely scenario.

DirtySox
01-03-2012, 02:49 PM
I don't know, depends on who you ask, Cespedes is a legit star defensive CF. I've never seen the guy play, so I can't comment on it.

I think there is varying thought on his defensive ability. I've read certain opinions that he's destined for a corner. Either way, if signed I hope he's given at least some minor league time allowing the organization to get a look at De Aza in a somewhat full-time role.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
01-03-2012, 02:53 PM

I haven't either, but I've heard mixed reviews on his defense.

The OBVIOUS solution is to put Tank in LF and De Aza/Cespedes in CF/RF and ship Rios to Mozambique, Borneo or something where he won't offend/disgust/horrify Sox fans ever again, but unfortunately, KW/JR do not want/are not able to just eat his contract.

KMcMahon817
01-03-2012, 03:22 PM
I just can't envision a scenario where our $14 million CF Rios is sitting on the bench but you never know.

Rios has a terrible contract, but let's not overstate it. He makes 12M in 2012, and 12.5M in 2013 and 2014.

Foulke You
01-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Rios has a terrible contract, but let's not overstate it. He makes 12M in 2012, and 12.5M in 2013 and 2014.
My mistake sir. :tiphat:

DrCrawdad
01-03-2012, 10:57 PM

My mistake sir. :tiphat:

3 more years of Rios, hard to overstate how horrible of a deal that is for the Sox.

eriqjaffe
01-04-2012, 09:52 AM
It's an even-numbered year, Rios will do fine.

russ99
01-04-2012, 10:29 AM
I haven't either, but I've heard mixed reviews on his defense.

The OBVIOUS solution is to put Tank in LF and De Aza/Cespedes in CF/RF and ship Rios to Mozambique, Borneo or something where he won't offend/disgust/horrify Sox fans ever again, but unfortunately, KW/JR do not want/are not able to just eat his contract.

Considering the Sox took their time with Ramirez and even more so with Viciedo due to the acclimation period needed for Cuban players, I doubt that Cespedes would see much time with the Sox until later in the season at the earliest.

I'm also convinced that Rios is the best option for RF, with De Aza in center and Tank in left.

His arm is at least average for the position but his range will make us forget how poor Quentin and Dye were defensively.

Foulke You
01-04-2012, 01:16 PM
3 more years of Rios, hard to overstate how horrible of a deal that is for the Sox.
The contract won't look quite as bad if Rios returns to 2010 offensive production and defense. .284/21HR/88RBI was a solid season. He also becomes a trading chip to a contender if his production returns. However, if 2012 is a redux of 2011...

Jpgr91
01-04-2012, 04:52 PM
He also becomes a trading chip to a contender if his production returns.
Even if Rios does improve his inconsistencies would add a significant amount of risk, probably too much risk to be able to move him with out the Sox taking on significant money.

TheVulture
01-04-2012, 06:15 PM
The contract won't look quite as bad if Rios returns to 2010 offensive production and defense. .284/21HR/88RBI was a solid season. He also becomes a trading chip to a contender if his production returns. However, if 2012 is a redux of 2011...

Unless he makes significant changes to his approach at the plate I don't see that happening. Given he didn't appear willing to change during a full season of ineptitude, I doubt he will make those changes now. Unfortunately, it looks like we have three years to find out.

Foulke You
01-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Unless he makes significant changes to his approach at the plate I don't see that happening. Given he didn't appear willing to change during a full season of ineptitude, I doubt he will make those changes now. Unfortunately, it looks like we have three years to find out.
I'm not so sure about that. Rios was moving his hand positioning all over the place in his batting stance during his Sox tenure and especially last year. He started with his hands low, had them high by mid-season, and by September he was somewhere in the middle. I'd call that a willingness to change his approach. It's execution that plagued Rios in 2011 along with many other Sox hitters. When he was producing in 2010, no change was required. He simply was executing better. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Foulke You
01-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Even if Rios does improve his inconsistencies would add a significant amount of risk, probably too much risk to be able to move him with out the Sox taking on significant money.
Don't underestimate a team that is flush with cash and a twitchy GM in need of a bat at the trade deadline. If Alex is having a good year, he becomes much more viable to trade.

CubsfansareDRUNK
01-05-2012, 12:03 PM
How do you pronounce "Cespedes?" SESS-PEE-DIS?

Foulke You
01-05-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm pretty sure it is pronounced SESS-PED-ESS

doublem23
01-05-2012, 04:55 PM

Correct

DumpJerry
01-05-2012, 06:01 PM

Correct
:hawk
Look, I'm a professional at this. Leave it up to me and I'll show you.

EMachine10
01-17-2012, 04:41 PM
@scottmerkin
Scott Merkin
Viciedo has done a little recruiting with both the Cespedes and Soler camps
2 hours ago via web
Favorite Retweet Reply

DirtySox
01-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Kevin_Goldstein Kevin Goldstein
Updated rankings, most likely to sign Yoenis Cespedes: 1. Chicago Cubs; 2. Florida Marlins; [big gap] 3. Philadelphia Phillies.
2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

EMachine10
01-17-2012, 04:53 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-viciedo-valuable-as-white-sox-replacement-recruiter-20120117,0,6590861.story?track=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

More story on Viciedo's recruitment of Cespedes and Soler.

veeter
01-17-2012, 07:15 PM
But I thought Theo was going to build through draft picks, not free agents.

DirtySox
01-17-2012, 07:24 PM
But I thought Theo was going to build through draft picks, not free agents.

He will. He will also spend on the international market like other teams. He just can't spend ridiculous amounts of money in the draft anymore thanks to the new CBA. If they sign Cespedes (which is sounding more and more likely) it will also allow them to flip Byrd for a decent return as well.

veeter
01-17-2012, 07:57 PM
I predict he does just what he did in Boston. Spend $$$$$$$$$$$$

Noneck
01-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Do the Sox have any spanish speaking coaches? If they dont that has to be a drawback.

doublem23
01-17-2012, 09:02 PM
I predict he does just what he did in Boston. Spend $$$$$$$$$$$$

Pretty much. A lot of Theo's eye for talent was also thanks in large part to the Sawx being able to go way above slot in the Draft and nab guys that other teams weren't willing to play games with. Some of them worked out well (Ellsbury, Pedroia, Lester), some of them not so good (Ryan Dent, Jason Place, Kris Johnson)... Epstein has yet to prove he can win without the crutch of money, so this is going to be an interesting few seasons.

DSpivack
01-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Pretty much. A lot of Theo's eye for talent was also thanks in large part to the Sawx being able to go way above slot in the Draft and nab guys that other teams weren't willing to play games with. Some of them worked out well (Ellsbury, Pedroia, Lester), some of them not so good (Ryan Dent, Jason Place, Kris Johnson)... Epstein has yet to prove he can win without the crutch of money, so this is going to be an interesting few seasons.

He'll have money with the Cubs, just not nearly as obscenely much as he had in Boston. That said, competing in the NL Central shouldn't cost as much as in the AL East, either.

Plus, the new CBA restricts draft spending.

doublem23
01-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Plus, the new CBA restricts draft spending.

Right, which kneecaps his one great advantage he had in Boston. Now we're going to see if he's truly got an eye for talent or if he just had the checkbook for it.

SCCWS
01-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Right, which kneecaps his one great advantage he had in Boston. Now we're going to see if he's truly got an eye for talent or if he just had the checkbook for it.

I disagree somewhat. I think Theo had a good scouting staff in place in Boston. GMs don't spend a ton of time scouting these days. Their job is to make final decisions based on input. So we will see if Theo and the Cubs scouting staff have an eye for talent. I don't know how many changes he has made to their scouting.

asindc
01-18-2012, 09:06 AM

I disagree somewhat. I think Theo had a good scouting staff in place in Boston. GMs don't spend a ton of time scouting these days. Their job is to make final decisions based on input. So we will see if Theo and the Cubs scouting staff have an eye for talent. I don't know how many changes he has made to their scouting.

I agree with doublem23 on this one. It's not as if all the players Theo gave huge checks to before they even played a minor league game were diamonds in the rough. Most of the huge-bonus guys were highly touted by everyone, and Boston was able to draft some of them because other teams (not just the Sox, contrary to popular belief) were scared off them because of signability issues. It did not take superior scouting and sharper intellect to recognize the talent of most of the guys that made it through their farm system to the majors.

veeter
01-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Theo's just another G.M.

cws05champ
01-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Theo's just another G.M.
Can we get one of those?

asindc
01-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Can we get one of those?

I hear Bill Smith is available.

October26
01-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Do the Sox have any spanish speaking coaches? If they dont that has to be a drawback.

No spanish speaking coaches on the Sox staff (that I'm aware of) but the Sox do have two of Cespedes Cuban countrymen: Alexei Ramirez and Dayan Viciedo currently on the team.

I'm disappointed to read earlier in the thread that it looks like Cespedes will sign with the Cubs. Cespedes is currently playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic and last night he hit a monster home run. Cespedes appears to have a quick bat, like Viciedo, but has a larger frame/build.

DonnieDarko
01-19-2012, 02:49 PM
No spanish speaking coaches on the Sox staff (that I'm aware of) but the Sox do have two of Cespedes Cuban countrymen: Alexei Ramirez and Dayan Viciedo currently on the team.

I'm disappointed to read earlier in the thread that it looks like Cespedes will sign with the Cubs. Cespedes is currently playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic and last night he hit a monster home run. Cespedes appears to have a quick bat, like Viciedo, but has a larger frame/build.

...a larger frame than Viciedo?

Good Lord, he's got to be a MONSTER.

soltrain21
01-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Don Cooper knows Spanish according to Mark Gonzales.

DirtySox
01-19-2012, 03:09 PM

They are very different players. Very different body types too. Cespdes is built like a brick ****house. The only similarities are the power tool and possibly the arm. Cespedes will actually provide defensive value unlike Dayan. Likely in CF.

Have you not seen his promo video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kREZHmOR1bg

doublem23
01-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Don Cooper knows Spanish according to Mark Gonzales.

I'm going to assume that Juan Nieves, native of Puerto Rico, and the Sox bullpen coach, also knows some Spanish.

delben91
01-19-2012, 03:18 PM

Is Juan Nieves no longer the bullpen coach?

October26
01-19-2012, 03:23 PM

I should have said taller build.

Cespedes has tremendous power and I was glad to see him finally hit the ball during last night's game. Cespedes batting average so far in the winter league games has not impressed me (.176), but this week he is tearing the cover off the ball. His batting average should start climbing.

Also, I found it comical that the DR announcers pointed out that Cespedes had already purchased and is wearing a diamond stud earring (something that is not allowed in Cuban league baseball). Cespedes definitely has a swagger to him - he knows he's a talent. I like his self-confidence.

October26
01-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Is Juan Nieves no longer the bullpen coach?

I had forgotten about Juan Nieves. Yes, Juan does speak spanish.

DumpJerry
01-19-2012, 04:26 PM
He bought a new computer (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-01-12/sports/chi-cubs-partner-building-the-new-carmine-20120112_1_epstein-cubs-bloomberg-sports) last week.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/Apple-II.jpg/240px-Apple-II.jpg

gr8mexico
01-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Yoenis Cespedes first HR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_xDVWfTkuc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Foulke You
01-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Yoenis Cespedes first HR
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but his swing looks a lot like a right handed Griffey Jr. to my eyes.

DSpivack
01-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Yoenis Cespedes first HR

Who the heck is the catcher there? What an odd stance. :?:

KRS1
01-19-2012, 11:40 PM

Tony Pena popularized this stance. I used to do it occasionally during long innings or when I wanted a super low pitch.

Daver
01-19-2012, 11:59 PM

Stupid too.

That is a passed ball waiting to happen, not to mention an injury waiting to happen.

doublem23
01-20-2012, 01:26 AM

His name is Robinzon Diaz:

http://www.lidom.com.do/zbox1_RR_18_ene_12.htm

A few other fun names you'll recognize in this box score: Brandon Moss, Miguel Tejada, Carlos Gomez, Alexi Casilla, D'Angelo Jimenez, Wilson Betemit, and Tony Pena who I am happy to say is still pitching but giving up hits and not getting outs.

October26
01-20-2012, 06:25 AM
His name is Robinzon Diaz:

http://www.lidom.com.do/zbox1_RR_18_ene_12.htm

A few other fun names you'll recognize in this box score: Brandon Moss, Miguel Tejada, Carlos Gomez, Alexi Casilla, D'Angelo Jimenez, Wilson Betemit, and Tony Pena who I am happy to say is still pitching but giving up hits and not getting outs.

Thanks, doublem23. In last night's playoff game, (Jan 19th) the Aguilas beat the Tigres to advance to the championship game.

Yoenis Cespedes was the DH for the winning Aguilas. Yoenis homered and doubled; his average is up to .185. After a slow start, he is now tearing the cover off the ball.

Alejandro DeAza, who was on the Tigres team that was eliminated, did not have a good series. Alejandro hit .154 during these games, and is not looking like his usual, aggressive self at the plate. My father and I are concerned as Alejandro is projected to be the Sox starting CF in 2012.

In addition to the players that doublem23 mentioned above, there is a Cuban pitcher named Raul Valdes who has really impressed me in this series. Sox need pitching & I wonder if Valdes is still available?

www.lidom.com.do/zbox1_RR_19_ene_12.htm

DrCrawdad
01-20-2012, 07:27 AM
In addition to the players that doublem23 mentioned above, there is a Cuban pitcher named Raul Valdes who has really impressed me in this series. Sox need pitching & I wonder if Valdes is still available?

www.lidom.com.do/zbox1_RR_19_ene_12.htm (http://www.lidom.com.do/zbox1_RR_19_ene_12.htm)

This Raúl Valdés (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%C3%BAl_Vald%C3%A9s)? Lorenzo Barcelo is still hanging on to his dream, pitching. Good for him.

October26
01-20-2012, 07:36 AM
This Raúl Valdés (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%C3%BAl_Vald%C3%A9s)? Lorenzo Barcelo is still hanging on to his dream, pitching. Good for him.

Thanks for the info, didn't know Valdes was with the Phillies.

And yes, Lorenzo Barcelo is still trying to pitch.

Lorenzo Barcelo
01-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the info, didn't know Valdes was with the Phillies.

And yes, Lorenzo Barcelo is still trying to pitch.

Indeed.

soltrain21
01-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Indeed.

How is it working out for you so far?

doublem23
01-20-2012, 06:31 PM
How is it working out for you so far?

Well he's in the Caribbean and we're buried under half a foot of snow.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
01-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Well he's in the Caribbean and we're buried under half a foot of snow.

Exactly.

He's in a warm tropical climate getting paid to suck at throwing a ball...who should be laughing here?

DirtySox
01-23-2012, 10:04 PM
JimBowdenESPNxm JIM BOWDEN
Marlins remain committed to outbidding the Cubs and Tigers for Yoennis Cespedes if and when he every attains free agency
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

DirtySox
01-24-2012, 03:40 PM
JesseSanchezMLB Jesse Sanchez
Cespedes gains residency in the DR.
6 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

http://mlb.mlblogs.com/2012/01/24/cespedes-gains-residency-in-the-dr/

mzh
01-24-2012, 03:47 PM
I assume spending $214 Million on Fielder puts the Tigers out of the running?

DirtySox
01-24-2012, 03:51 PM

I'd think so.

DumpJerry
01-24-2012, 05:12 PM

I'd think so.
Why would it? Have you seen their books to know what they have?

mzh
01-24-2012, 05:27 PM
No, but common sense dictates that unless Ilitch decides to push himself into Yankees/BoSox territory he won't dedicate the additional $40+ Million that it may take to sign Cespedes. They're already past $125 MM now with Fielder.

KMcMahon817
01-24-2012, 05:36 PM

This. Is. A. Message. Board.

Not to mention, a rumor message board. One shouldn't have to cite unknown financials in order to make a claim. That is some Daver territory right there.

DirtySox
01-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Others seem to think the Tigers are out as well.

JimBowdenESPNxm JIM BOWDEN
Yoenis Cespedes has gained residency in the Dominican Republic...now it's up to the Commissioner's Office to declare him a FA.....FLA vs CHC

DumpJerry
01-24-2012, 09:27 PM
No, but common sense dictates that unless Ilitch decides to push himself into Yankees/BoSox territory he won't dedicate the additional $40+ Million that it may take to sign Cespedes. They're already past $125 MM now with Fielder.
How much money does he have available? Is there something that is preventing him from going Yankees on us?

mzh
01-24-2012, 09:47 PM
How much money does he have available? Is there something that is preventing him from going Yankees on us?
No, but just like we know that Jerry doesn't go into Yankee territory, the fact that the Tigers average payroll in the last 15 years has been $70 MM dictates that he probably wouldn't spend $300 Million out of the blue. Even since 2005, when Ilitch went spend-crazy with pudge and Maggs, it's averaged around $103.5 MM. So again, reason would leave us to believe he won't raise payroll to the $150-160 MM range out of nowhere. No, there might not be anything preventing him from doing it, but was there anything preventing the Steinbrenners from signing Fielder and Pujols and platooning them with Teixeira? Common sense says they wouldn't, but can you give me a cited financial reason that would have prevented them from doing it?

DumpJerry
01-24-2012, 09:52 PM
No, but just like we know that Jerry doesn't go into Yankee territory, the fact that the Tigers average payroll in the last 15 years has been $70 MM dictates that he probably wouldn't spend $300 Million out of the blue. Even since 2005, when Ilitch went spend-crazy with pudge and Maggs, it's averaged around $103.5 MM. So again, reason would leave us to believe he won't raise payroll to the $150-160 MM range out of nowhere. No, there might not be anything preventing him from doing it, but was there anything preventing the Steinbrenners from signing Fielder and Pujols and platooning them with Teixeira? Common sense says they wouldn't, but can you give me a cited financial reason that would have prevented them from doing it?
He's 81 years old and wants to celebrate a World Series title while he has both feet on the ground. Oh comparing him to JR is apples and oranges. There is a huge factor in Ilitch's financial corner that Uncle Jerry does not have:
http://sawyerspeaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/little_caesar_low_res_copy11.jpeg

EMachine10
01-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Cespedes apparently has his papers in order and the free agent bidding can begin. I'm also reading that he may not be interested in the Marlins.

asindc
01-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Cespedes apparently has his papers in order and the free agent bidding can begin. I'm also reading that he may not be interested in the Marlins.

Where are you reading that?

doublem23
01-25-2012, 02:51 PM
He's 81 years old and wants to celebrate a World Series title while he has both feet on the ground. Oh comparing him to JR is apples and oranges. There is a huge factor in Ilitch's financial corner that Uncle Jerry does not have:
http://sawyerspeaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/little_caesar_low_res_copy11.jpeg

A ****ty pizza chain?

EMachine10
01-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Where are you reading that?

@DKnobler
DKnobler
Teams are waiting for the OK to start bidding on Cespedes. There's still a feeling that Cespedes really doesn't want to go to Marlins.
2 hours ago via web
Favorite Retweet Reply

DirtySox
01-25-2012, 03:29 PM
BenBadler Ben Badler
MLB has informed clubs that Yoenis Cespedes is now a free agent.
41 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

cards press box
01-25-2012, 04:12 PM
BenBadler Ben Badler
MLB has informed clubs that Yoenis Cespedes is now a free agent.
41 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

I wonder if Cespedes and/or Soler will be signed by Friday?

cws05champ
01-25-2012, 04:26 PM
I wonder if Cespedes and/or Soler will be signed by Friday?

Has Soler gained residency? I'd much rather the sox sign him since we won't be contending for several years anyway.

DirtySox
01-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Has Soler gained residency? I'd much rather the sox sign him since we won't be contending for several years anyway.

No he hasn't, and I agree.

Foulke You
01-26-2012, 01:06 PM
@DKnobler
DKnobler
Teams are waiting for the OK to start bidding on Cespedes. There's still a feeling that Cespedes really doesn't want to go to Marlins.
2 hours ago via web
Favorite Retweet Reply
He probably saw their new uniforms.

moochpuppy
01-26-2012, 01:09 PM
He probably saw their new uniforms.

.....or he has a pitbull.

DirtySox
01-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Concepcion is close to signing with a team. The White Sox were interested. The 18 year old LHP profiles as a 4th or 5th starter. Great polish, but not the best stuff.

cards press box
01-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Concepcion is close to signing with a team. The White Sox were interested. The 18 year old LHP profiles as a 4th or 5th starter. Great polish, but not the best stuff.

Well, the Sox sure seem to be stockpiling pitching, that's for sure. Dirty, what do you think? If the Sox signed Concepcion, where would he rate on the BP Top 11 Sox prospects?

DirtySox
01-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Well, the Sox sure seem to be stockpiling pitching, that's for sure. Dirty, what do you think? If the Sox signed Concepcion, where would he rate on the BP Top 11 Sox prospects?

At this point in time, I have no clue. I actually know very little about Concepcion. Goldstein says he's a back of the rotation type as I posted above. Polished but without great stuff. Kevin is very tools/upside oriented though, so he might just not be as impressed as others. He could conceivably fit in a White Sox top 10, but likely closer to the tail-end. It's hard to get a feel for him at this point. I'm awaiting more scouting reports and viewpoints currently.

And as far as stockpiling pitching, I'm very okay with that. (Though most of the pitching acquisitions aren't all that touted at this point in time) Especially considering the Sox aren't awful at producing arms. Position players though, that's another story.

KMcMahon817
01-26-2012, 08:11 PM
How far away is Concepcion expected to be?

DirtySox
01-26-2012, 08:31 PM
How far away is Concepcion expected to be?

He's 18. Maybe Kanny, but probably rookie ball.

34 Inch Stick
01-31-2012, 01:54 PM
. Great polish, but not the best stuff.

This would be a good marketing slogan for the 2012 Sox season.

doublem23
01-31-2012, 02:06 PM

I don't see how that's not possible. ****, I think we have several posters at WSI who could crack the Sox's Top 11.

Domeshot17
01-31-2012, 03:20 PM
I don't see how that's not possible. ****, I think we have several posters at WSI who could crack the Sox's Top 11.

Well it is all moot as we aren't in on him. Kenny has said we are done spending and the roster is pretty much set.

DirtySox
01-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Well it is all moot as we aren't in on him. Kenny has said we are done spending and the roster is pretty much set.

The Sox are in on Concepcion. He is the Cuban with the least fanfare amongst the trio. He doesn't have star upside, but it seems he could be a back-end starter, maybe a bit more. The roster is insignificant as he will be in the minors in Rookie or A ball.

doublem23
01-31-2012, 03:52 PM

Kenny says a lot of things

DumpJerry
01-31-2012, 04:12 PM
He has said that many times in the past before signing additional free agents.

Also, he has not said the roster is pretty much set because it isn't. Nobody's roster is set at this time. There are still bench players and bullpen staff to put on the final 25 man roster.

Domeshot17
01-31-2012, 04:35 PM
He has said that many times in the past before signing additional free agents.

Also, he has not said the roster is pretty much set because it isn't. Nobody's roster is set at this time. There are still bench players and bullpen staff to put on the final 25 man roster.

I could be wrong but I thought I read that the Sox only have 4-5 open spots on the roster entering spring training in the Sox Fest thread.

DumpJerry
01-31-2012, 09:04 PM
I could be wrong but I thought I read that the Sox only have 4-5 open spots on the roster entering spring training in the Sox Fest thread.
That's about right.

DirtySox
01-31-2012, 11:20 PM
More KG on Concepcion.

Doing all the Yoenis work in the last 48 hours, I talked to a lot of people about Gerardo Concepion.
8 minutes ago

General thought on Concepcion is the same. Highly polished for his age w/ advanced control and secondaries, but not blow away stuff.
8 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Many teams in on Concepcion; don't have great feel for the market. Not Top 100 guy.
6 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Could move quickly for a teenager, but STILL A TEENAGER. RT @jklein78: @Kevin_Goldstein what's the range of timeline for Concepcion?
4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

LITTLE NELL
02-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Anyone hearing anything about him, why has no team signed him yet?
I thought the Sox would have the inside track on him with fellow Cubans TCM and the Tank persuading him to sign with the Sox.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Anyone hearing anything about him, why has no team signed him yet?
I thought the Sox would have the inside track on him with fellow Cubans TCM and the Tank persuading him to sign with the Sox.

Last I heard, his most likely suitor was the Cubs. The Marlins were supposedly in on him, but he doesn't want to play for them.

DirtySox
02-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Cespedes is how it's spelled. The Sox are interested, but he will likely exceed their price range. Yoenis should receive $40 million+. The Cubs and Marlins are the current favorite, but other teams remain in the mix. Including the White Sox. The 2 other Cubans are LHP Gerardo Concepcion and Jorge Soler. Soler is a toolsy OF who could end up just as good as Cespedes, but is younger and further away. He will also be expensive, but not nearly as expensive as Cespedes. Concepcion is a polished 18 year old pitcher who doesn't have the greatest stuff but has "pitchability". He will be the cheapest of the three, and is probably the most likely to sign with the Sox. He isn't on the level of Cespedes and Soler, but could still be a decent pickup.

There's also a thread already discussing this here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=132062).

Nellie_Fox
02-02-2012, 01:36 PM
The two threads on Cespedes rumors are now merged.

DirtySox
02-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Cubs have signed Concepcion.

kittle42
02-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Marlins frontrunners on Cespedes.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_baseball_marlins/2012/02/al-source-miami-marlins-frontrunners-to-land-yoenis-cespedes.html

DirtySox
02-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Marlins frontrunners on Cespedes.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_baseball_marlins/2012/02/al-source-miami-marlins-frontrunners-to-land-yoenis-cespedes.html

According to most it's Marlins and Cubs as big favorites, then the rest of the pack.

DirtySox
02-07-2012, 05:46 PM
CST_soxvan Daryl Van Schouwen
@ProfessorFog Chisox remain interested in younger, less expensive ($20 mil?) Soler. Cespedes, 26, will get $50m or more

KMcMahon817
02-08-2012, 01:49 PM
CST_soxvan Daryl Van Schouwen
@ProfessorFog Chisox remain interested in younger, less expensive ($20 mil?) Soler. Cespedes, 26, will get $50m or more

Get er' done, KW!

Lip Man 1
02-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Tribune has a story today where Cespedes says he hopes to play for the Marlins.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
02-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Tribune has a story today where Cespedes says he hopes to play for the Marlins.

LipCan't be. Nobody wants to play for Ozzie.

Frater Perdurabo
02-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Can't be. Nobody wants to play for Ozzie.

It could be that he wants to play his home games in an area with lots of Cuban-Americans, and in close proximity to the Caribbean.

russ99
02-08-2012, 07:52 PM
It could be that he wants to play his home games in an area with lots of Cuban-Americans, and in close proximity to the Caribbean.

Not to mention that Spanish-speaking manager...

DirtySox
02-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Not to mention that Spanish-speaking manager...

And the likelihood that the Marlins will be offering him the most money.

palehozenychicty
02-08-2012, 08:45 PM

They still need pitching.

Domeshot17
02-08-2012, 10:29 PM

Money, Location and Weather. Those are the 3 reasons he is headed to Miami.

DSpivack
02-08-2012, 10:29 PM
They still need pitching.

Their rotation doesn't look bad to me: Johnson-Buehrle-Zambrano-Nolasco-Sanchez.

siugrad25
02-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Their rotation doesn't look bad to me: Johnson-Buehrle-Zambrano-Nolasco-Sanchez.

I was about to say the same thing. Providing Zambrano isn't a complete waste of space with his BF Ozzie, I like the Marlins rotation. I think they can compete in the NL East this year with those five guys (providing they can stay healthy).

mzh
02-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Supposedly the Marlins have offered Cespedes less than $40 Million. Hmmm...

https://twitter.com/#!/clarkspencer/status/168438045127884800

LITTLE NELL
02-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Ozzie says signing Cespedes is a gamble.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7563173/gambling-sign-yoenis-cespedes

DirtySox
02-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Ozzie says signing Cespedes is a gamble.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7563173/gambling-sign-yoenis-cespedes

He's right.

CHISOXFAN13
02-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Cespedes to Oakland.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-reports-cespedes-signs-with-athletics-20120213,0,288309.story

DonnieDarko
02-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Looks like the A's have signed Cespedes. 4 years, $36 million. No link right now, I'll try and find one.

EDIT: Dammit, beat me to it. :(

DumpJerry
02-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Once again, another reason to ignore off-season rumors. Who saw the A's being a candidate?

LITTLE NELL
02-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Cespedes to Oakland.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-reports-cespedes-signs-with-athletics-20120213,0,288309.story

Sort of a shock, I had a feeling in my bones that KW would sign him.

DirtySox
02-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Soler is the only one left. Probably the most intriguing of the three. Cubs are going hard after him with rumor of a $27 million offer.

cws05champ
02-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Soler is the only one left. Probably the most intriguing of the three. Cubs are going hard after him with rumor of a $27 million offer.
$27 over how many years is the question. If it's over 6 yrs, OK....but still seems a bit high for Soler considering he probably will need 3 yrs in the minors if he makes it at all. I thought he'd get $15M or so.

DumpJerry
02-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Continue discussion here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2889490#post2889490).