PDA

View Full Version : DJ out / Mike North in? (Update: RUMOR is false per Sherman & Feder)

MARTINMVP
12-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Two separate posts on the ChicagolandRadioandMedia.com message board caught my attention today.

The first entitled "Mike North... Sox?" at 4:47 a.m., said that David Spada was on WSCR/670 The Score saying that DJ is out and will be replaced by Mike North.

The second entitled "Mike North and the big announcement?" said that North posted on Facebook that he will reveal a big announcement on Monday, Jan. 2nd.

Neither post was submitted by the website's moderator "Larz," so those posts should be taken with a grain of salt until more information is revealed. Perhaps, Larz or maybe even Robert Feder from TimeoutChicago.com will shed some light on it before Monday?

Risk
12-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Please God NO!:angry:

Risk

Noneck
12-29-2011, 12:48 PM
I can never see Farmio working with this guy, so I think if hes in then both DJ and Farmio are out.

I just had a thought, I can imagine a Rongey North combo, if thats the case my transistor radio will finally find retirement.

esbrechtel
12-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Wow....this is terrible news...

How does this guy stick around? Is there anyone out there that actually likes the guy?

Uncle_Patrick
12-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Wow....this is terrible news...

How does this guy stick around? Is there anyone out there that actually likes the guy?

Reinsdorf was a North fan, as I recall.

Please let this not be true.

Domeshot17
12-29-2011, 01:07 PM
I can never see Farmio working with this guy, so I think if hes in then both DJ and Farmio are out.

I just had a thought, I can imagine a Rongey North combo, if thats the case my transistor radio will finally find retirement.

Could you imagine a Rongey North booth:

Mike North: Can you believe this, why would they do that, just idiotic, WHY, what is even going on with the game?

Rongey: Look, everything the Sox do is awesome and right, "can we get someone to disconnect this guy".

Fenway
12-29-2011, 01:08 PM

WSCR's ratings in 2011 were awful...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131680

Can North be any worse than Suzyn Waldman on WCBS?

Lip Man 1
12-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Short answer: Yes he can.

Lip

Noneck
12-29-2011, 01:19 PM

I live in Chicago and have no idea who she is or what city or team WCBS broadcasts for.

SI1020
12-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Can North be any worse than Suzyn Waldman on WCBS? Yes.

Foulke You
12-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Short answer: Yes he can.

Lip
Indeed. North would be an embarrassment to the franchise. I seriously hope this is some sort of out of control rumor. North is like a bad penny that keeps showing up. It was North's bloated seven figure WSCR contract that allowed John Rooney to hit the bricks for St. Louis. Now, we might be actually considering him for a spot in the booth? This would be a giant middle finger to the fanbase if they brought him in.

So, WSCR is scapegoating DJ for bad ratings? Perhaps fans didn't tune in because the team wasn't very good.

TommyGavinFloyd
12-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Of course the ratings in 2011 were awful, the team was awful. Why would anyone want to listen to that on the radio. If I'm going to sit through them ****ing up I at least want to see it with my own eyes. I'm not the biggest fan of Ed Farmer but him and DJ in the booth aren't bad. If North joins the booth I will go out of my way to make sure I never have it on 670 when B and B aren't on.

tacosalbarojas
12-29-2011, 01:23 PM
No one is worse than Waldman. That said, that doesn't mean we should settle for 'better than Waldman'.

Fenway
12-29-2011, 01:24 PM
I live in Chicago and have no idea who she is or what city or team WCBS broadcasts for.

Yankees radio on WCBS New York

best known nationally for this
Fdtn0Z4o8cM

and this

8m6CRBsWb3U

WhiteSox5187
12-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Didn't Lip quote Brooks Boyer (or someone) as saying that if WSCR wanted to put Mike North in the booth the White Sox would veto it? Even putting him on the post game show would be awful

MARTINMVP
12-29-2011, 01:32 PM
In all fairness, there is a lot of crap spewed on the ChicagolandRadioandMedia.com message board. The moderator, Larz, usually will call people out when they attempt to post B.S. Larz, himself, is usually pretty good at analyzing and sometimes breaking stories -- he hasn't posted any response though.

If it would had been only one post about it on that site, I wouldn't have mentioned it here. When I saw two separate postings, that's when I wanted to bring it here and see if anyone else had any other info.

I really hope the news is not true though.

Bring Wimpy back, move him and Hawk to the radio, hire Dave Wills for TV (whenever his contract expires with the Rays) and pair him with Stone. White Sox television and ratings success couldn't possibly be any easier, with the exception of them having a winning year. :smile:

Lip Man 1
12-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Looks like everyone can relax.

Just heard from Ed Sherman. He says he's already checked on this and "there's nothing to it..." He didn't tell me who he contacted on this. I suspect it was probably Brooks or someone connected with Sox broadcasting.

Thank God for small favors!...

Lip

Foulke You
12-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Didn't Lip quote Brooks Boyer (or someone) as saying that if WSCR wanted to put Mike North in the booth the White Sox would veto it? Even putting him on the post game show would be awful
Putting him on post game would be far more preferable than having to listen to that boob try and call a live baseball game.

MARTINMVP
12-29-2011, 01:33 PM

Just heard from Ed Sherman. He says he's already checked on this and "there's nothing to it..." He didn't tell me who he contacted on this. I suspect it was probably Brooks or someone connected with Sox broadcasting.

Lip

You rule Lip!

DumpJerry
12-29-2011, 01:40 PM

Lip
:putitontheboard

Frontman
12-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Whew. And here I was about to write off listening to White Sox radio until further notice.

tstrike2000
12-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Have no idea where North is these days, but I really wish he'd move to Barrow Alaska and cover igloo sports or something so he's never heard of in these parts again.

Frontman
12-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Have no idea where North is these days, but I really wish he'd move to Barrow Alaska and cover igloo sports or something so he's never heard of in these parts again.

There's no Gibson's or mafia in Alaska.

MY GUYS!!!!

downstairs
12-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks for clarifying Lip.

Now, didn't Mike North once attempt play-by-play for a minor league or college game of some sort... and completely bombed?

chisoxjtrain
12-29-2011, 02:08 PM
http://gifsoup.com/view3/1353166/michael-scott-no-god-o.gif

Fenway
12-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Robert Feder to me
show details 3:13 PM (4 minutes ago)
No, there's no truth to it, Kevin. Just a bad rumor.

Best,
Robert

tstrike2000
12-29-2011, 02:43 PM
There's no Gibson's or mafia in Alaska.

MY GUYS!!!!

Very true, he's a class act.

tebman
12-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Robert Feder to me

Best,
Robert

Bad rumor indeed. Let's play this game for a minute: how about North doing radio, Terry Bevington as manager, and Bukvich & MacDougal in the bullpen?

:gah: :emo: :shocked: :nuts: :screwloose:

Viva Medias B's
12-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Robert Feder to me

Best,
Robert

Remember when North did DePaul basketball? BRUTAL!!!!!!!!!1

Thank you, Jesus.

October26
12-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Bad rumor indeed. Let's play this game for a minute: how about North doing radio, Terry Bevington as manager, and Bukvich & MacDougal in the bullpen?

Eeeeewwww. Yuck. Awful. Nasty. Bad. Malo. & NO!

:lol: Did you temporarily lose your mind, tebman? You must have to even suggest such a scenario.

Bucky F. Dent
12-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Please, No! I just got done posting my happiness with the Danks signing, don't screw it up this quickly!

Bucky F. Dent
12-29-2011, 03:29 PM

Lip

Thanks, Lip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOXPHILE
12-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Mike North has to be the one constantly starting up these rumors, due to his own deluded, wishful thinking. It's the only reason that makes any sense as to why these stories keep flaring up like a bad case of hemorrhoids.

Also, don't ever believe any crap or rumors spewing from that two bit, jock sniffing, ambulance chasing lawyer, David Spada.

Noneck
12-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Yankees radio on WCBS New York

She is obnoxious and that east coast accent makes it even worst.

Oh well I now dont have worry about retiring my transistor.

Brian26
12-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Lip

Get your guy Bob Grim on the horn. If there is a shred of truth to this, the Sox wont see a penny from me next season.

Edit- Glad to see this is bunk.

Edit- I changed the title of the thread to update the situation.

Lip Man 1
12-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Brian:

Glad I could help! :D:

To the individual who mentioned Brooks' comment from his interview with me, here you go:

BB: We have a significant amount of input. If we dont want someone or if say WSCR radio doesnt want someone, either party can veto the choice. Its a collaborative process, both of us have a large say in the matter. For example, and Im just using this name, not that he was ever a candidate, if WSCR radio came to us and said we want Mike North in the Sox broadcasting booth, wed say no. Why would we want someone who is going to knock our product or be very critical of it?

Lip

TommyJohn
12-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Mike North has to be the one constantly starting up these rumors, due to his own deluded, wishful thinking. It's the only reason that makes any sense as to why these stories keep flaring up like a bad case of hemorrhoids.

I really like your analogy. It really fits Mike North.

MARTINMVP
12-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Lip

Get your guy Bob Grim on the horn. If there is a shred of truth to this, the Sox wont see a penny from me next season.

Edit- Glad to see this is bunk.

Edit- I changed the title of the thread to update the situation.

Earlier today, I presented a potential problem to WSI, and within a few hours, the problem was solved. WSI saves the day again. :smile:

Fenway
12-29-2011, 07:33 PM
When Don Imus was fired by WFAN in 2007, CBS considered North for the show.

North was supposed to do 3 days - he lasted 2. That was the beginning of the end of him at CBS Radio as I suspect the New York execs had never heard him on the air.

An old friend who is a retired executive at WLS-7 told me of her dealings with the North family. This woman never says a bad word about anyone but with Bebe North she breaks the rule.

soxinem1
12-29-2011, 08:16 PM

Well, we do need a closer and they are both available.........

PaleHoser
12-29-2011, 10:28 PM
how about North doing radio, Terry Bevington as manager, and Bukvich & MacDougal in the bullpen?

I'd rather stick lit cigarettes in my ears and forks in my eyes.

Nelson Foxtrot
12-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Is it a given that DJ isn't coming back, or is that just speculation?

I'd like to see KW leave for Oakland to serve as a mismatched co-GM/roommate with Beane for an MLB Network reality show, Stone promoted to GM, Farmer moved to TV with Hawk, DJ as 1B coach, and Harold Baines calling games solo on the radio.

DrCrawdad
12-30-2011, 01:30 AM
Putting him on post game would be far more preferable than having to listen to that boob try and call a live baseball game.

I can understand the reaction to the rumor of North doing Sox game broadcasts, but like you, I don't have a problem with North hosting Sox pre and post games. Heck, we had to endure David Kaplan doing Sox pre and post games.

Bob Roarman
12-30-2011, 02:40 AM
What does it matter honestly? Will it stop me from going to games? Will it stop me from watching them? No. The Hawk in all his stupidity, and being much more "in the way" as far as watching a baseball game on TV goes, doesn't stop me or a lot of other fans, why would some other idiot (doing radio of all things) who works for the Sox stop me?

Brian26
12-30-2011, 08:55 AM
What does it matter honestly? Will it stop me from going to games? Will it stop me from watching them? No. The Hawk in all his stupidity, and being much more "in the way" as far as watching a baseball game on TV goes, doesn't stop me or a lot of other fans, why would some other idiot (doing radio of all things) who works for the Sox stop me?

You don't understand the importance of a radio broadcaster for people who may be listening in their car, at work, in the backyard, or, for whatever reason, away from a television?

Hawk may not stop you from watching games because you can figuratively or even literally tune him out (volume control) because television conveys the action with pictures. Not the case on radio.

The Sox radio broadcasts have been horrid since 2006, but I'll still take the disaster of DJ over the bigger disaster of North. It's a shame they ran Rooney out of town with an embarrassing offer that was actually a pay-cut from his previous contract.

gobears1987
12-30-2011, 09:15 AM
That will be one brutal broadcast next year. Between Mike North's stupidity, Farmer's constant talk about golf, and Rongey's apologist hour, OUCH! If I'm 670, I would NOT rebid for the White Sox games whenever the contract runs out if that's what it is.

I'd hope the Sox hire a pair of good broadcasters and that Rongey would actually be critical of a team that has underperformed for years.

Frater Perdurabo
12-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Read the updated thread title. Two reporters have independently verified that the rumor is false.

SI1020
12-30-2011, 10:30 AM
You don't understand the importance of a radio broadcaster for people who may be listening in their car, at work, in the backyard, or, for whatever reason, away from a television?

Hawk may not stop you from watching games because you can figuratively or even literally tune him out (volume control) because television conveys the action with pictures. Not the case on radio.

The Sox radio broadcasts have been horrid since 2006, but I'll still take the disaster of DJ over the bigger disaster of North. It's a shame they ran Rooney out of town with an embarrassing offer that was actually a pay-cut from his previous contract. As the British say, spot on.

The Critic
12-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Mike North involved in Sox broadcasts in any capacity would chase me away from whichever station he was on completely.

The Critic
12-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Read the updated thread title. Two reporters have independently verified that the rumor is false.

VERY happy about this. I would hate to boycott the Sox in any way, but I could never listen to that imbecile.

Bob Roarman
12-30-2011, 10:49 AM

The Sox radio broadcasts have been horrid since 2006, but I'll still take the disaster of DJ over the bigger disaster of North. It's a shame they ran Rooney out of town with an embarrassing offer that was actually a pay-cut from his previous contract.

No I do, because I stopped listening to them on the radio halfway through the 06' season. Never saw a reason to go back other than to occasionally see what the score was if I'm in the car. It's irrelevant to me who does the game on the radio at this point, unless they actually hire a real play by play guy and an actual color/analyst, but the absence of that won't make me want to boycott them. I won't allow one person to ruin an entire lifetime worth of memories if he were to be hired (which I know he won't). But just to make that kind of statement or threat if he were, it seems silly to me.

Lip Man 1
12-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Heard back from one of the beat writers on this, they say DJ's contract runs four more years.

I assume he's not going anywhere given the length of the deal and the Sox even if they were contemplating a change probably wouldn't want to have to pay him off for that long of a period.

Lip

SI1020
12-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Heard back from one of the beat writers on this, they say DJ's contract runs four more years.

I assume he's not going anywhere given the length of the deal and the Sox even if they were contemplating a change probably wouldn't want to have to pay him off for that long of a period.

Lip Aren't rumors fun?

Fenway
12-30-2011, 02:05 PM

Lip

Why on earth would DJ get a contract that long???

I am still amazed that people think Rooney would have stayed. The Cards gig was his dream job - the man has strong Missouri roots. He was elected to the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame while still with the White Sox.

http://www.mosportshalloffame.com/inductee_detail/John+Rooney/180

SoxandtheCityTee
12-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Thank heaven this was not true. What a horrid thought. I listen to the radio broadcasts when the game is on FOX (duh), when I'm driving during game time, etc. This would have made listening to the games on radio impossible.

Why can't that awful creep go far, far away and stay there?

cards press box
12-30-2011, 02:40 PM

I am still amazed that people think Rooney would have stayed. The Cards gig was his dream job - the man has strong Missouri roots. He was elected to the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame while still with the White Sox.

And think about this -- since the creation of the AL and NL Centrals in 1994, only two teams from either Central Division (the White Sox and the Cardinals) have won the World Series. And John Rooney was the announcer for the World Champs on all three occasions: 2005 White Sox, 2006 Cardinals and 2011 Cardinals.

slavko
12-30-2011, 03:07 PM

Just a guess: To compensate him for the fact that he was being demoted from TV?

SI1020
12-30-2011, 03:15 PM

http://www.mosportshalloffame.com/inductee_detail/John+Rooney/180 He looked like an unhappy angry man on the podium at the WS celebration. I was told and was under the impression he wanted to stay. I have no idea what he makes announcing for the Cardinals, compared to what he made on WMVP, or what the Score offered him. All indications were that he was given the bums rush. No, I am not as well connected as some of you. I do know that he was a personal favorite, and White Sox radio broadcasts have declined immeasurably since he left.

Fenway
12-30-2011, 03:32 PM
He looked like an unhappy angry man on the podium at the WS celebration. I was told and was under the impression he wanted to stay. I have no idea what he makes announcing for the Cardinals, compared to what he made on WMVP, or what the Score offered him. All indications were that he was given the bums rush. No, I am not as well connected as some of you. I do know that he was a personal favorite, and White Sox radio broadcasts have declined immeasurably since he left.

USA Today 6 years ago ranked local broadcasts - The White Sox were #1

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-07-26-announcers-overview_x.htm

Meanwhile WFAN has just fired Wayne Hagin from Mets radio who Rooney replaced in St. Louis.

Frater Perdurabo
12-30-2011, 03:38 PM

Meanwhile WFAN has just fired Wayne Hagin from Mets radio who Rooney replaced in St. Louis.

I remember when Rooney and Hagin were paired in the Sox radio booth. They took turns with PBP and both were quite good at it.

Fenway
12-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Sidebar of article

Rooney, Farmer give White Sox AL's top radio team (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-07-26-announcers-al_x.htm)

Fenway
12-30-2011, 04:16 PM
A couple of months ago North hinted a movie was going to be made of his charmed life. :scratch:

http://www.foxsportsradio.com/pages/mikenorth.html

WBZ-FM Boston is a FOX Radio affiliate and PD Dave Thomas will not air the show.

He said he would rather have a kazoo band playing Sweet Caroline for 3 hours than that clown on his air.

Brian26
12-30-2011, 04:17 PM

Rooney had been with the Sox for 18 years.

If he would have been presented with a respectful, fair contract offer (and not a cut in pay as a slap in the face), I think his decision would have been made more difficult, and he may have stayed with the prospects of a World Championship team in front of him for years to come. There's no doubt he had roots in Missouri, but after 18 years in Chicago, where he had raised his family in the northwest suburbs, I think you could say he had established some roots here too. This is like Buehrle plus another seven years in Chicago.

Just unreal that the dip**** Sox let him walk away without a fight, putting no value in the radio broadcasts at all, and it's been a disaster ever since.

Brian26
12-30-2011, 04:20 PM
And think about this -- since the creation of the AL and NL Centrals in 1994, only two teams from either Central Division (the White Sox and the Cardinals) have won the World Series. And John Rooney was the announcer for the World Champs on all three occasions: 2005 White Sox, 2006 Cardinals and 2011 Cardinals.

Just another interesting fact-

Rooney called the World Series for the White Sox in 2005, and everyone knows that he left the next year to call a World Series for the Cardinals. Rooney's first year for the Sox was 1988. The year before, he worked for the Minnesota Twins....who won the World Series.

Fenway
12-30-2011, 04:26 PM

If he would have been presented with a respectful, fair contract offer (and not a cut in pay as a slap in the face), I think his decision would have been made more difficult, and he may have stayed with the prospects of a World Championship team in front of him for years to come. There's no doubt he had roots in Missouri, but after 18 years in Chicago, where he had raised his family in the northwest suburbs, I think you could say he had established some roots here too. This is like Buehrle plus another seven years in Chicago.

Just unreal that the dip**** Sox let him walk away without a fight, putting no value in the radio broadcasts at all, and it's been a disaster ever since.

Think about this - the White Sox have no professionally trained announcers , they are all ex-jocks. Rooney molded Farmer into a good #2 announcer but kept him in check.

The solution to White Sox radio is simple.
http://archive.chicagobreakingsports.com/wills.jpg

Frater Perdurabo
12-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Think about this - the White Sox have no professionally trained announcers , they are all ex-jocks. Rooney molded Farmer into a good #2 announcer but kept him in check.

Sox announcers' lack of professional training makes them unemployable as announcers elsewhere, which in turn ensures their absolute loyalty and unwillingness to speak out against even the most gross mismanagement. JR values loyalty above excellence.

Fenway
12-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Sox announcers' lack of professional training makes them unemployable as announcers elsewhere, which in turn ensures their absolute loyalty and unwillingness to speak out against even the most gross mismanagement. JR values loyalty above excellence.

Hawk was fired in both Boston and New York for being too candid.

JR took him back which given the way fans felt about him after being GM was a risk. Obviously Hawk became a house man.

Frater Perdurabo
12-30-2011, 05:35 PM

JR took him back which given the way fans felt about him after being GM was a risk. Obviously Hawk became a house man.

He knows his continued employment - and enjoyment of whatever privileges come with being an MLB TV PBP guy - now rest solely on him being a house man.

Fenway
12-30-2011, 05:54 PM
He knows his continued employment - and enjoyment of whatever privileges come with being an MLB TV PBP guy - now rest solely on him being a house man.

Hawk called Haywood Sullivan a moron on the air for letting Fisk go....a year later he was in Chicago.

Sullivan was GM and part-owner. ( of course he wanted Fisk gone as he wanted his son to catch for Boston )

That was a disaster

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sullima02.shtml

Gedman was a decent catcher and if Fisk was still there Sullivan had no chance to make the roster.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gedmari01.shtml

Noneck
12-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Hawk called Haywood Sullivan a moron on the air for letting Fisk go....a year later he was in Chicago.

Sullivan was GM and part-owner. ( of course he wanted Fisk gone as he wanted his son to catch for Boston )

That was a disaster

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sullima02.shtml

Gedman was a decent catcher and if Fisk was still there Sullivan had no chance to make the roster.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gedmari01.shtml

There had to be more to story than that. Fisk was a boston darling so why not deal Gedam, $$$?

Fenway
12-30-2011, 08:28 PM
There had to be more to story than that. Fisk was a boston darling so why not deal Gedam, $$$?

A Boston TV station shows Haywood laughing when Fisk was declared a free agent - PBS used it later on a Frontline special.

The contract was sent late - the postage meter said December 21 ( 20th was he deadline ) - honestly Sullivan had disillusions his son could be the starter.

Noneck
12-30-2011, 08:36 PM
A Boston TV station shows Haywood laughing when Fisk was declared a free agent - PBS used it later on a Frontline special.

The contract was sent late - the postage meter said December 21 ( 20th was he deadline ) - honestly Sullivan had disillusions his son could be the starter.

If you have first hand knowledge of this then fine, otherwise it looked like a money issue which was covered by a postal error.

Fenway
12-30-2011, 08:48 PM
If you have first hand knowledge of this then fine, otherwise it looked like a money issue which was covered by a postal error.

Here is some background...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1124455/1/index.htm

A current Red Sox executive (Jerry Kapstein) was the agent for all 3 of these players and he said Haywood told him my son will be better than Fisk. :?:

Kapstein was the Scott Boras in those days.

Today he can be seen at every Red Sox game behind home wearing goofy headphones.

Kapstein even enraged Marvin Miller

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/wiki/index.php/Jeremy_Kapstein

http://img.breitbart.com/images/2010/5/26/ap-p/6592942b-021c-42aa-8d2f-6bceabe740fe.jpg

Noneck
12-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Here is some background...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1124455/1/index.htm

A current Red Sox executive (Jerry Kapstein) was the agent for all 3 of these players and he said Haywood told him my son will be better than Fisk. :?:

Kapstein was the Scott Boras in those days.

Getting rid of Fisk may have given his kid a better opportunity but it still sounds like money was the key to letting fisk go.

Fenway
12-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Getting rid of Fisk may have given his kid a better opportunity but it still sounds like money was the key to letting fisk go.

Let's just say Hawk was livid they lost Fisk, Lynn and Burrelson. The early 80's was a bad time for Boston baseball. Mrs. Yawkey finally figured out Buddy and Haywood were no good and plotted to get rid of both of them. She then trusted John Harrington who Boston College accounting teacher who worked part time for the team.

Noneck
12-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Let's just say Hawk was livid they lost Fisk, Lynn and Burrelson.

I bet he still feels that way, as do any life long boston fans that were around at that time.

Fenway
12-30-2011, 09:25 PM
I bet he still feels that way, as do any life long boston fans that were around at that time.

Hawk is a prime example on how life/fate can change in an instant.

Tony Conigliaro gets beaned and is lost for the 67 season....at the same time Charley Finley FIRES Hawk and makes him in effect a free agent. He winds up in Boston and while he did little in 1967 he had a monster year in 1968.

He was traded to Cleveland and a year later suffered an injury that pretty much ended his career. He stayed in the Boston area and in 1975 WSBK-TV gave him a shot to do color on Boston games with Dick Stockton. Hawk remained popular in the area and the station gambled that he would appeal to younger fans and it worked.

But NONE of this happens if Tony C doesn't get beaned.

Sons of Sam Horn has a BRUTAL wiki on him.

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/wiki/index.php/Ken_Harrelson

Foulke You
12-30-2011, 09:52 PM

Agree with most of your points completely. Rooney most likely would have stayed after the '05 World Series if he had been given a competitive contract. Rooney's departure had more to do with money and the WSCR situation than anything else involving the team wanting him out or Rooney himself wanting to leave for the Cards. Rooney even said as much in an interview following his departure from the Sox. I'm going from memory here, but he said that he was given a low ball offer by WSCR. When the Sox switched from WMVP to WSCR, they ceased being official employees of the White Sox and all of their financial considerations were worked out with the radio station. The team still has tremendous input on who is hired but at the end of the day, the radio station is paying them and they are employees of WSCR and not the Sox. At the time of Rooney's departure, WSCR had some horrible contracts on the books to long time Score "talents" like Mike North and Mike Murphy. North's contract was reportedly a staggering amount considering he had the lowest rated show on The Score. It was supposedly over 1.5 million per year. Those outstanding contracts had a lot to do with their desire to have someone more economical in the booth which explains why they hired someone with zero experience to replace him in Chris Singleton who no doubt worked cheap while WSCR waited for North and Murphy's contract to run out.

Fenway
12-30-2011, 10:33 PM
The one truth that can be said. CBS Radio execs in New York and not Chicago made the call.

CBS Radio does not look at each station in a cluster separably. They just look at the bottom line in each city.

CBS Radio was in panic mode in late 2005 because their biggest revenue producer was walking out the door.

http://www.courant.com/media/photo/2011-08/64044422.jpg

Stern's departure destroyed CBS stations in NY, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington, Detroit, Boston and Chicago. None of them recovered and they all changed format to either sports or news (except in NY where they still play music) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WXRK) FREE FM was a disaster.

I suspect Stern leaving was more of a factor than North's contract.

CBS Radio today is really the old Westinghouse and they have always low balled talent.

One example is a talent who left Westinghouse in Boston even though he was popular and he did not want to leave. Back in 1968 he was doing both a TV show and a radio show that combine billed for over a million dollars a year.

They offered him a raise to $28,000. He took a job in LA which he hated and then came to Chicago where channel 7 had him do a live show at 9 AM and another live show at 10:30 at night. He had just been offered a new job which would have been seen nationally on ABC based in Chicago but cancer snuffed his life out at the age of 44. His name was Bob Kennedy.

TV/Radio is a bad business right now. CBS actually is using Boston to do traffic reports for their NY stations.

WFLD just moved master control to Las Vegas - anything to save a buck.

Agree with most of your points completely. Rooney most likely would have stayed after the '05 World Series if he had been given a competitive contract. Rooney's departure had more to do with money and the WSCR situation than anything else involving the team wanting him out or Rooney himself wanting to leave for the Cards. Rooney even said as much in an interview following his departure from the Sox. I'm going from memory here, but he said that he was given a low ball offer by WSCR. When the Sox switched from WMVP to WSCR, they ceased being official employees of the White Sox and all of their financial considerations were worked out with the radio station. The team still has tremendous input on who is hired but at the end of the day, the radio station is paying them and they are employees of WSCR and not the Sox. At the time of Rooney's departure, WSCR had some horrible contracts on the books to long time Score "talents" like Mike North and Mike Murphy. North's contract was reportedly a staggering amount considering he had the lowest rated show on The Score. It was supposedly over 1.5 million per year. Those outstanding contracts had a lot to do with their desire to have someone more economical in the booth which explains why they hired someone with zero experience to replace him in Chris Singleton who no doubt worked cheap while WSCR waited for North and Murphy's contract to run out.

Thome25
12-30-2011, 11:47 PM
I didn't have cable growing up...Rooney and Farmer were my gateway into Sox baseball as a kid.

I'll NEVER forget the uniform descriptions before each game started: "And the Sox are wearing their black caps with the white S-O-X on them". They were so great together and they did a fantastic job of painting a picture of Sox baseball for me as a young fan.

WSCR ****ed up by letting Rooney go.

ChiSoxGirl
12-30-2011, 11:59 PM
I didn't have cable growing up...Rooney and Farmer were my gateway into Sox baseball as a kid.

I'll NEVER forget the uniform descriptions before each game started: "And the Sox are wearing their black caps with the white S-O-X on them". They were so great together and they did a fantastic job of painting a picture of Sox baseball for me as a young fan.

I haven't had cable in 25 years and also relied on the radio broadcast, especially as a kid. I credit much of my baseball knowledge to having to "imagine" what was going on through the radio broadcast.

In my opinion, there was no better tandem in the booth than Rooney and Farmer. One of my favorite Rooney quotes, used to describe the attendance, was, "A lot of people dressed as seats tonight, Farmio!" I use that line pretty regularly myself.

DSpivack
12-31-2011, 12:02 AM
I haven't had cable in 25 years and also relied on the radio broadcast, especially as a kid. I credit much of my baseball knowledge to having to "imagine" what was going on through the radio broadcast.

In my opinion, there was no better tandem in the booth than Rooney and Farmer. One of my favorite Rooney quotes, used to describe the attendance, was, "A lot of people dressed as seats tonight, Farmio!" I use that line pretty regularly myself.

I traveled around the midwest a bit growing up with my dad.

I remember being a big fan of Jack Buck, hearing Ernie Harwell on my one trip to Detroit. But John Rooney was always my favorite.

Thome25
12-31-2011, 12:06 AM

Using your imagination was so great. Rooney and Farmer did such an awesome job of igniting one's imagination. They are one of the reasons I prefer baseball on the radio rather than TV.

And I loved than line from Rooney!!

hi im skot
12-31-2011, 12:14 AM

And as already stated in the thread, the Score had little to no chance to bring Rooney back when his hometown Cardinals had an opening for him.

Nellie_Fox
12-31-2011, 12:20 AM
I remember when Rooney and Hagin were paired in the Sox radio booth. They took turns with PBP and both were quite good at it.And they sounded so damn much alike that they had to say their names all the time to avoid confusion. "That was a great inning, Wayne Hagin." "It sure was, John Rooney."

Thome25
12-31-2011, 12:27 AM
And as already stated in the thread, the Score had little to no chance to bring Rooney back when his hometown Cardinals had an opening for him.

I believe what was stated in the thread was that Rooney leaving had less to do with the Cardinals gig being available and more to do with the supposed lowball offers from WSCR. Post #'s 78 and 79.

Lip Man 1
12-31-2011, 12:29 AM
I have the PBS special called "Frontline: The Trouble With Baseball..." It aired in April 1994.

Have just reviewed it.

They do not show Haywood laughing, they show him matter of factly telling a group that Fisk was just made a free agent.

Lip

Fenway
12-31-2011, 12:49 AM
I strongly believe JR decides who does the broadcasts.

Brooks is not stupid - he has to know it is a substandard product.

Bob Grim is not listed as an officer - I assume he reports to Brooks.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=cws

It gets compounded when you are in a 2 team market - but even nobody can deny Pat Hughes on radio is a solid play by play man. He seemed better last year not being stuck with Santo.

I knock Sterling and Waldman all the time ( and I know Suzyn well ) but it obviously works for WCBS and the Yankees. Boston radio is solid with Joe Castiglione and Dave O'Brien.

AAA Pawtucket has a better radio feel than the White Sox - that should not happen in the #3 market

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=18760781&sid=t533

On the TV side Hawk seems more focused with Stone around.

The late Ken Coleman who did Boston radio-TV for years had an interesting observation. In 1967 he was the highest paid Red Sox employee ( players included ) - by 1986 he was way down in the list.

JR of all people should understand this growing up in Brooklyn where Red Barber was as important as any player on the team - and that continues to this day in LA with Scully.

BUT - somebody posted that DJ still has 4 more years to go - that tells me the White Sox are still paying the announcers and not CBS. Suzyn has told me she goes year to year with WCBS ( she is not paid by the Yankees but approved ) - that is the way they work.

dickallen15
12-31-2011, 07:04 AM

The Sox got rid of the Hagin/Rooney team because they sounded too much alike.

John Rooney was good but its really ridiculous the pedestal some put him on. One thing I'll always remember about him, when the Sox had Gary Redus, he said that he would rather have Redus as his leadoff hitter over Rickey Henderson.

dickallen15
12-31-2011, 07:11 AM

From what I've read, isn't Hawk still pretty candid about the White Sox when he's on Boston radio?

Viva Medias B's
12-31-2011, 08:47 AM
With the Cardinals on KMOX, isn't Rooney employed by CBS Radio again?

TomBradley72
12-31-2011, 09:19 AM
I wish at least half of the OP was true- firing DJ- "we have WORK to do!"- ugh!!!

Joining Chris Singleton, Del Crandall, Early Wynn, Lou Brock, Mary Shane, and JC Martin on the list of truly mediocre radio/tv talent.

I still miss Bob Waller- he had a great season or two with Harry in the booth.

slavko
12-31-2011, 09:20 AM
The Sox got rid of the Hagin/Rooney team because they sounded too much alike.

John Rooney was good but its really ridiculous the pedestal some put him on. One thing I'll always remember about him, when the Sox had Gary Redus, he said that he would rather have Redus as his leadoff hitter over Rickey Henderson.

Ah. A tiny bit of dissent. As long as dissent is OK, let me join you. He was kind of colorless, did nothing to sell the team to fans...a competent broadcaster, not worth pining over this long after the fact. But absence does make the heart grow, Fonda.

And as has been pointed out in an earlier iteration of this eternal thread, he was in a former situation where the STL job was open and the Sox wouldn't let him out of his contract and he commented bitterly to one of us about it at SoxFest. So I think he was going this time, despite all the facts presented to suggest otherwise.

Steelrod
12-31-2011, 12:07 PM
It's nice to have this thread where all the readers are in agreement!

Fenway
12-31-2011, 12:54 PM
From what I've read, isn't Hawk still pretty candid about the White Sox when he's on Boston radio?

I suspect that when Hawk goes into long silent mode it is to prevent him from saying what he wants to.

Viva Medias B's
01-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Apparently, the rumor with North going around is that he and Dan Jiggetts will be doing a show again. Where and/or what platform the show is taking place is not known.

SOXPHILE
01-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Apparently, the rumor with North going around is that he and Dan Jiggetts will be doing a show again. Where and/or what platform the show is taking place is not known.

With Norths track record the last couple years, if it's true, it'll probably be 4-4:30 a.m. Weekday mornings on "The U" in between infomercials for the Miracle Bra and the Sham-Wow. It will have a total audience of 9 people, three of which are Bebe North, "Knuckles", and "Fritzie", and will be cancelled after 2 months.

Brewski
01-02-2012, 10:58 PM
With Norths track record the last couple years, if it's true, it'll probably be 4-4:30 a.m. Weekday mornings on "The U" in between infomercials for the Miracle Bra and the Sham-Wow. It will have a total audience of 9 people, three of which are Bebe North, "Knuckles", and "Fritzie", and will be cancelled after 2 months.

I'm sure he's saved his money since he's been eating for free the last 15 years because of all the on-air plugs he's given to every restaurant in Edison Park. When you think of the money he was getting from 'SCR and the extent to which he's fallen, I think the world is out of alignment.

Jiggs, I hope you saved your money too. And I'm sure you did.

ZombieRob
01-02-2012, 11:34 PM
It's amazing Jigs hasn't commited career suicide by these projects he's always in with North. I like Jigs, but damn.

Fenway
01-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Jiggets has said on WEEI he admires sports radio in Boston. He says we can not do the same in Chicago.

Dan has Boston roots because of Harvard.

ZombieRob
01-03-2012, 01:08 AM
I'll say and I don't care if I get bashed. Say what you will about North and some of it is justified, but he wasn't a coward when it came to interviews. He'd ask the tough questions all are afraid to ask in this town. He was tight with JR yet still put Ozzie and KW on the hot seat or roasted Lovie when deserved. Why for such a large market is our media pussified? I can't stand listening to Arkush most times with his snarky little laugh, but he steps out with an opinion and doesn't apologize for it.