12-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Red Sox & A's announce deal that sends Andrew Bailey and Ryan
Sweeney to Boston for Josh Reddick and prospects Raul Alcantara
and Miles Head.

Fenway
12-28-2011, 05:42 PM
:scratch:

I will have to wait and see what the rest of the deal involves, but my
first reaction to this is that there's got to be another shoe to drop.

Sweeney is a decent fourth outfielder but doesn't really cut it as a
starting right-fielder, so I have to think that if they're flipping
out Reddick they're planning to add a right-handed hitting outfielder
somehow (especially as the two guys they acquired won't cost a lot in
terms of money -- probably around $5 million in arbitration total).

This also means that Boston has pretty much decided to just focus on
bullpen upgrades and rely on converted relievers to fill the last two
slots in the rotation. Can't say I'm feeling optimistic about the
success of that move, but I hope I'm wrong.

Fenway
12-28-2011, 05:46 PM
http://www.csnne.com/blog/redsox-talk/post/Verdicts-in-Thumbs-up-for-Cherington?blockID=620616&feedID=10430

Lip Man 1
12-28-2011, 05:47 PM
A's could lose 100 games this season.

Guess Bobby Jenks wasn't ready to fill the closer's role. LOL.

Lip

Fenway
12-28-2011, 05:49 PM

Guess Bobby Jenks wasn't ready to fill the closer's role. LOL.

Lip

Right now they appear to be just treading water until they can start over in San Jose.

PalehosePlanet
12-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Trevor Cahill, Gio Gonzalez and Andrew Bailey are all young, still under control players, that should have been a part of the A's rebuild and near future. I don't know what "wonderboy" Beane has in mind, but so far, so bad.

This was a **** return in my opinion. I guess they're trying for a 12.5 million dollar payroll (25 X 500k?)

thomas35forever
12-28-2011, 10:57 PM
A's are going nowhere except perhaps to San Jose.

PaleHoser
12-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Of the trades the A's have made this off-season, this one makes the most sense. They won't need a closer since they've traded their best starting pitching.

They just may threaten their record for lowest attendance for a game. The A's-Mariners game on April 17, 1979 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/OAK/OAK197904170.shtml) had a paid attendance of 653.

I'd have Billy Beane on speed-dial right now inquiring about Kurt Suzuki.

TDog
12-28-2011, 11:33 PM
I have never felt sorry for A's fans, but I might feel sorry for the kid who got the 2012 A's calendar (http://www.calendars.com/Oakland-Athletics-2012-Wall-Calendar/prod201200006330/?SSAID=332695&cm_mmc=Affiliate_Program-_-SAS-_-332695-_-480028251)for Christmas. I've seen the calendar at my neighborhood grocery story, and I'm pretty sure that Bailey is featured as well as Cahill and Gonzalez.

Not that the people who make these calendars seem to care about off-season roster moves. It wouldn't surprise me if there are 2012 White Sox calendars with months devoted to Mark Buehrle. But the A's devoted a lot of effort into promoting these players over the last 12 months. Last year, there was an entire calendar devoted to Bailey and dogs.

I don't believe the A's will be any better off if they ever move to San Jose. They seem to have revived, for the longterm, a franchise tradition of serving as a sort of farm club, although they don't seem to be a farm team for the Yankees.

Trade for prospects and when they start to play well and demand to be paid, trade those prospects for other prospects. Repeat. Now that's moneyball. Last year's biggest bobblehead giveaway was M.C. Hammer, who, apparently, was an A's batboy before anyone cared who he was.

Lip Man 1
12-28-2011, 11:47 PM
He was a batboy and later Finley made him a vice president (not kidding) during the glory days of the franchise. He was a batboy in the early 70's and a vice president in the late 70's.

Maybe the A's plan is to collect 'revenue sharing' money. LOL.

He got the nickname 'Hammer' because of his facial resemblance as a kid to Hank Aaron.

Lip

DSpivack
12-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Of the trades the A's have made this off-season, this one makes the most sense. They won't need a closer since they've traded their best starting pitching.

They just may threaten their record for lowest attendance for a game. The A's-Mariners game on April 17, 1979 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/OAK/OAK197904170.shtml) had a paid attendance of 653.

I'd have Billy Beane on speed-dial right now inquiring about Kurt Suzuki.

Are the prospects they got from Boston decent?

Noneck
12-29-2011, 12:05 AM
He got the nickname 'Hammer' because of his facial resemblance as a kid to Hank Aaron.

Lip

Now that is quite a piece of trivia:smile:

PKalltheway
12-29-2011, 12:18 AM

No kidding. They might as well trade places with their Triple-A affiliate in Sacramento. No implied teal here.

TDog
12-29-2011, 01:41 AM
He was a batboy and later Finley made him a vice president (not kidding) during the glory days of the franchise. He was a batboy in the early 70's and a vice president in the late 70's.

Maybe the A's plan is to collect 'revenue sharing' money. LOL.

Lip

All I know is that at an afternoon game against the White Sox a couple of years ago, he was sitting a few rows from me. People were talking about him, but I had no idea who he was. They had a camera come over and talk with him between innings, putting the interview up on the scoreboard live. He said he used to work for the A's. The A's commercial on television promoting his boblehead day only mentioned that he was a former batboy.

I didn't think he looked anything like Henry Aaron.

PorkChopExpress
12-29-2011, 10:15 AM
:scratch:

I will have to wait and see what the rest of the deal involves, but my
first reaction to this is that there's got to be another shoe to drop.

Sweeney is a decent fourth outfielder but doesn't really cut it as a
starting right-fielder, so I have to think that if they're flipping
out Reddick they're planning to add a right-handed hitting outfielder
somehow (especially as the two guys they acquired won't cost a lot in
terms of money -- probably around $5 million in arbitration total).

This also means that Boston has pretty much decided to just focus on
bullpen upgrades and rely on converted relievers to fill the last two
slots in the rotation. Can't say I'm feeling optimistic about the
success of that move, but I hope I'm wrong.

Weren't they linked to Quentin at one one point? And they're also supposed to be focused on starting pitching now. Floyd and Quentin? Do they have good enough prospects to swing a deal like that?

Fenway
12-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Are the prospects they got from Boston decent?

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/15894/prospect-analysis-what-sox-lost-for-bailey

A. Cavatica
12-29-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm trying desperately not to think about what Boston gave Oakland for Bailey.

Fenway
12-29-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm trying desperately not to think about what Boston gave Oakland for Bailey.

The Oakland beat writer tries to spin it

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/28/SPQ01MHVJS.DTL

Brian26
12-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Contract the A's.

Not sure who else would need to go with him them though to take it back down to an even 28.

palehozenychicty
12-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Contract the A's.

Not sure who else would need to go with him them though to take it back down to an even 28.

Tampa needs to be contracted as well. Neither team has a market at all. Their success with nearly no resources is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Fenway
12-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Tampa needs to be contracted as well. Neither team has a market at all. Their success with nearly no resources is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

A Tampa TV reporter has a blog where he follows the Rays stadium mess.

http://shadowofthestadium.blogspot.com/

What nobody really knows is how much attendance would jump if they moved to Tampa or at least further north in Pinellas County. The reality is Tampa Bay is hurting and even the Bucs have problems selling tickets. The Bucs owners are not that popular to begin with as the one game that was certain to sellout (Bears) because of transplants they moved to London. (second time in 3 years the Bucs played in the UK)

soxfanreggie
01-06-2012, 12:15 AM
A Tampa TV reporter has a blog where he follows the Rays stadium mess.

http://shadowofthestadium.blogspot.com/

What nobody really knows is how much attendance would jump if they moved to Tampa or at least further north in Pinellas County. The reality is Tampa Bay is hurting and even the Bucs have problems selling tickets. The Bucs owners are not that popular to begin with as the one game that was certain to sellout (Bears) because of transplants they moved to London. (second time in 3 years the Bucs played in the UK)

Part of the Bucs problem is that the Glazers bought Man U and that is their focus. They owe so much on the debt that they are too cheap to spend what most NFL teams spend. We always seem to be $20-30 million below what most teams spend. So, we let a lot of good players leave.