PDA

View Full Version : WLS-TV report on 1981 White Sox

Fenway
12-26-2011, 04:45 PM
tCoT-4E1-Ww

Brian26
12-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Weigel didn't pull any punches with Le Flore at 3:30. That was awkward. You'd never see a question like that today from anyone in the media.

Also - Fisk signed late in Spring Training, that might be the reason the letters on the back of his jersey look like they were sewn on by a blind person.

Fenway
12-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Weigel didn't pull any punches with Le Flore at 3:30. That was awkward. You'd never see a question like that today from anyone in the media.

Tim died way too young :whiner:

LITTLE NELL
12-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Was at the last game before the strike, a win against the the Yankees and we were on a nice winning streak and only 2.5 games out. I was sick about the strike because I thought that if the season had continued we would have won the division.

downstairs
12-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Was at the last game before the strike, a win against the the Yankees and we were on a nice winning streak and only 2.5 games out. I was sick about the strike because I thought that if the season had continued we would have won the division.

Wash, rinse and repeat in 1994.

TDog
12-26-2011, 06:19 PM

The Indians felt the same way about 1994 which ended with Cleveland only a game behind the Sox.

nwisox
12-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Weigle sure jumped on top of Twinkle Toes Bosco with that morale question.

Lip Man 1
12-26-2011, 10:18 PM
No one knows what might have happened but what we do know is the Sox beat Cleveland seven out of 12 times they played.

Lip

StillMissOzzie
12-27-2011, 03:13 AM
I noticed that, too! Everyone else had their name in a nice, symmetrical arch on their back and Fisk's name looked like starsteps going down.

SMO
:gulp:

SI1020
12-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Was at the last game before the strike, a win against the the Yankees and we were on a nice winning streak and only 2.5 games out. I was sick about the strike because I thought that if the season had continued we would have won the division. My wife and I were at that game too. Willie Randolph hit a lazy fly ball to Baines to end the game. The crowd was on its feet cheering, and the Sox looked like real contenders. The long strike just ruined their momentum.

LITTLE NELL
12-27-2011, 09:48 AM
My wife and I were at that game too. Willie Randolph hit a lazy fly ball to Baines to end the game. The crowd was on its feet cheering, and the Sox looked like real contenders. The long strike just ruined their momentum.

I was there with my cousin and a couple of friends sitting right next to the press box and we stayed until every fan was gone and the park looked just great with all those green seats and but not knowing when we would be back there.
As we were about to leave I'll never forget my cousin turning to me and saying "God, I love this place''.

Fenway
12-27-2011, 09:52 AM
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1981/Y_1981.htm

Cincinnati fans had the biggest beef in 1981 -they won more games than anybody and didn't make the playoffs.

TDog
12-27-2011, 10:52 AM
No one knows what might have happened but what we do know is the Sox beat Cleveland seven out of 12 times they played.

Lip

You're right. No one knows how the season would have turned out if it had run its course. But a lot of national media assumed it would be the Indians with Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, Kenny Lofton and Omar Vizquel at the top of their game.

In the Central, the Indians grabbed a 1-game lead by winning the first 2 of 3 in Chicago in mid-July, and the White Sox won the Sunday afternoon game to pull even. Then they split a 4-game season later in the month to leave the Sox 2 up. Over the next 3 weeks, the Indians picked up a game. Essentially, the difference between the Sox being up 1 and the Indians being up 1 when the season ended was that the Sox won 4-2 in their last meeting of the season.

Whtie Sox fans, however, don't remember the race being so close.

soxinem1
12-27-2011, 12:15 PM
You're right. No one knows how the season would have turned out if it had run its course. But a lot of national media assumed it would be the Indians with Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, Kenny Lofton and Omar Vizquel at the top of their game.

In the Central, the Indians grabbed a 1-game lead by winning the first 2 of 3 in Chicago in mid-July, and the White Sox won the Sunday afternoon game to pull even. Then they split a 4-game season later in the month to leave the Sox 2 up. Over the next 3 weeks, the Indians picked up a game. Essentially, the difference between the Sox being up 1 and the Indians being up 1 when the season ended was that the Sox won 4-2 in their last meeting of the season.

The race was getting close in those last weeks before the strike. While many of us believe that the 1994 White Sox would have been World Series bound, the facts are that was not a lock. And not just because of CLE.

Another fact nobody brings up from 1994 is KC. The Royals were right there in 3rd Place, just four games out. That was a solid KC team led by David Cone in pitching and a fast, efficient offense that led MLB with 140 stolen bases in just 115 games.

Vernam
12-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Quite a relief to see that Farmer was wearing socks for a change. That was some afro Harold was rockin'. They both need to go back to those looks.

Vernam

Lip Man 1
12-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Sox:

The ace in the hole for the White Sox was the starting pitching. I don't think it was a lock they would have made the World Series, the Yankees were good and I think had the edge in head to head meetings that season...but I have no doubt the Sox were going to get into the post season at least as the wild card.

Lip

TommyJohn
12-27-2011, 12:54 PM

Stop raining on everyone's pity parade.

soxinem1
12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Sox:

The ace in the hole for the White Sox was the starting pitching. I don't think it was a lock they would have made the World Series, the Yankees were good and I think had the edge in head to head meetings that season...but I have no doubt the Sox were going to get into the post season at least as the wild card.

Lip

Starting pitching from the top four was solid especially when McDowell started to get going after a brutal beginning, and so was middle relief. But the fifth spot was a problem once Scott Sanderson was demoted to the bullpen to make room for Scheuler's great pick Scott Ruffcorn. He pitched so bad the team was going with a four-man rotation the last three weeks of the season. One would think this may have come back to haunt them sooner or later because it sure looked like neither Scheuler nor Lamont had any desire to insert Sanderson back in the rotation.

Additionally, Roberto Hernandez was not having a good year closing games, though CLE didn't have a set closer themselves along with SP issues of their own, they were scoring runs in bunches.

Since the season ended as it did, we will never know how things would have turned out, but as strong as they were the 1994 White Sox were no lock for anything.

Fenway
12-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Starting pitching from the top four was solid especially when McDowell started to get going after a brutal beginning, and so was middle relief. But the fifth spot was a problem once Scott Sanderson was demoted to the bullpen to make room for Scheuler's great pick Scott Ruffcorn. He pitched so bad the team was going with a four-man rotation the last three weeks of the season. One would think this may have come back to haunt them sooner or later because it sure looked like neither Scheuler nor Lamont had any desire to insert Sanderson back in the rotation.

Additionally, Roberto Hernandez was not having a good year closing games, though CLE didn't have a set closer themselves along with SP issues of their own, they were scoring runs in bunches.

Since the season ended as it did, we will never know how things would have turned out, but as strong as they were the 1994 White Sox were no lock for anything.

People forget 1994 was the year the Yankees became good again.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/1994-standings.shtml

but Montreal may have been the team hurt the most
http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/1994.shtml

The fans never came back - and who could blame them

SI1020
12-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Stop raining on everyone's pity parade. Why beat people up? Championships have been few and far between and this was a legitimate chance at one that was ruined. No sure thing, the Indians, Yankees and Expos were right there too. It had the potential to be a really memorable season.

Lip Man 1
12-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Sox:

Ruffcorn only made two starts.

The reason the Sox went to a four man rotation the final few weeks of what turned out to be the end of the season was because they saw the writing on the wall...a stoppage of play was going to happen and because no one knew what the future might hold, it was imperative that the Sox were in first place when the games stopped being played.

From my interview with Jack McDowell:

JM: "I thought that we were going to be out longer then a week or ten days but I never felt the rest of the year was going to be cancelled. The Sox felt that we had to be in first place when the strike hit because we didn’t know what could happen. The last month, the Sox went with a four man rotation. My last three wins were all complete games and all on three days rest. It turned out we did finish the year in first."

Lip

PKalltheway
12-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Cincinnati fans had the biggest beef in 1981 -they won more games than anybody and didn't make the playoffs.

The Reds were also affected by the strike in '94, as they were leading the NL Central when it started.

soxinem1
12-27-2011, 03:24 PM
People forget 1994 was the year the Yankees became good again.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/1994-standings.shtml

but Montreal may have been the team hurt the most
http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/1994.shtml

The fans never came back - and who could blame them

MON had a great team in 1994, and yes I agree 100%, that might have been the team to beat in all of MLB.

But the fans stopped showing up in the mid-80's already. The Expos were in the bottom three in attendance each season from 1984 until they left.

downstairs
12-27-2011, 03:29 PM

But it may not have mattered. Cleveland had the wild card spot when the strike began.

Fenway
12-27-2011, 03:57 PM
MON had a great team in 1994, and yes I agree 100%, that might have been the team to beat in all of MLB.

But the fans stopped showing up in the mid-80's already. The Expos were in the bottom three in attendance each season from 1984 until they left.

There were non-baseball factors involved starting around 1980. Because of the Olympics, Montreal and Quebec raised taxes and the voters in frustration elected the Parti Québécois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parti_Qu%C3%A9b%C3%A9cois). This caused a massive exodus of anglophones to Ontario.

Montreal was the largest city and the financial capital of Canada but anti-English workplace laws drove most companies to Toronto. It would be like Wall Street suddenly leaving New York for Chicago.

The Expos in the 70's did not market the francophone fans and that cost them dearly when the anglos left.

rcescato
12-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Great video. Thanks for posting. Good to see some of those old names and hot young prospects.:):)