PDA

View Full Version : The White Flag is Being Raised

DrWatson27
07-18-2002, 04:18 PM
Well today's 9th inning loss to the mighty Royals has done it for me. I have pulled out the white flag and am putting it up. I can only hope for 3 things.

1. A strike ends the misreable season eairly so I can get focused on the upcoming football season.

2. The Sox better end with a better record than the Cubs.

3. Kenny Williams doesn't screw up anymore trades that weaken instead of improve next years team. (Or better yet KW gets canned so I won't have to worry about it)

The first two are feasiable. #3 the odds are stacked against me.

Same old Chicago baseball song--Wait till next year.

KruseControl04
07-18-2002, 06:49 PM
The sox may have a shot yet. I'm keeping my white flag in my pocket though, just incase.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-18-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by KruseControl04
The sox may have a shot yet. I'm keeping my white flag in my pocket though, just incase.

I really don't see how the way things are going these days.

WinningUgly!
07-18-2002, 07:58 PM
Anybody remember Mike Ditka's last season as Bears head coach? He went off after a mid-season loss & said something about the team not being able to win another game the rest of the year. I feel the same way about the Sox now...they'll be lucky to win a series the rest of the way. Say what you want about JR, KW & JM (all 3 have done plenty to bring the '02 Sox down to their current level) but my biggest beef is with the players on the team & their overall lack of desire. In my 20+ years as a Sox fan, I've suffered through plenty of disappointing seasons & heartbreaks with good teams & plenty more with god awful teams. None have let me down as a fan more than the current one. This '02 team is killing me because I know there is enough talent there to at least compete with the Minnesota friggin' Twins. Maybe it starts at the top & works it's way all the way down to the players on the field, but for whatever reason, nobody seems to give a damn...except the fans. Sucks to be us. :(:

sox_fan_forever
07-18-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND

I really don't see how the way things are going these days.

Same here. I mean, when you can't beat the Tigers, Indians, and Royals of all teams...

voodoochile
07-18-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Anybody remember Mike Ditka's last season as Bears head coach? He went off after a mid-season loss & said something about the team not being able to win another game the rest of the year. I feel the same way about the Sox now...they'll be lucky to win a series the rest of the way. Say what you want about JR, KW & JM (all 3 have done plenty to bring the '02 Sox down to their current level) but my biggest beef is with the players on the team & their overall lack of desire. In my 20+ years as a Sox fan, I've suffered through plenty of disappointing seasons & heartbreaks with good teams & plenty more with god awful teams. None have let me down as a fan more than the current one. This '02 team is killing me because I know there is enough talent there to at least compete with the Minnesota friggin' Twins. Maybe it starts at the top & works it's way all the way down to the players on the field, but for whatever reason, nobody seems to give a damn...except the fans. Sucks to be us. :(:

I feel the same way. This team has flat out quit trying. I cannot bring myself to watch the games anymore, and only part of that is due to the impending strike, steroids and AS game fiasco issues. Mostly is because the team is not enjoyable to watch at all. They quit early and often, IMO. Early lead? Okay, maybe they will hold it, but it better be by more than 3 runs. Early deficit? fuggedaboudit. They just start thinking about where they are eating dinner.

Earlier this year my buddy (as diehard flubbie fan as there comes and not just a FOW) stopped watching his boys, because he just couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't understand why he felt that way, but now I do. He sees new energy in his team with Kimm managing them, and is once again looking forward to baseball games, meanwhile on the southside, I am ignoring the whole business...

Like you said, sucks to be us...

Jerry_Manuel
07-18-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
This '02 team is killing me because I know there is enough talent there to at least compete with the Minnesota friggin' Twins. Maybe it starts at the top & works it's way all the way down to the players on the field, but for whatever reason, nobody seems to give a damn...except the fans. Sucks to be us. :(:

They should be a little closer then they are. You can thank Todd Ritchie for that. I'd say they should be within 6 games of Minnesota at this point.

I don't really give a damn either, I said in March that this team wasn't good enough. Thus far they've proven me right that they cannot hang with Minnesota.

harwar
07-19-2002, 10:38 AM
The trades are coming anytime now.I just hope K.W. doesn't shoot himself in the foot again.Anyone else notice that lofton is playing a lot better(and harder) since he found out the Sox were actively trading him?

Pete Ward
07-19-2002, 03:36 PM
This team is done. Over paid underachieving bunch of losers.

As this season grinds on, I see more and more disinterest on the players part coupled with a lack of effort.

I too now feel the same disinterest in Sox baseball. A strike will all but take my heart out.

I am truely sad that this team couldnt have been more like the 2000 White Sox.

C'est la vie. Bring on the Bears!