PDA

View Full Version : Sean Marshall to the Reds

cws05champ
12-23-2011, 10:02 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/cubs-to-send-sean-marshall-to-reds-for-travis-wood.html

For Travis Wood and two prospects....seems like a bit much to give up for a set up guy. Does this set the market for Thorton if he is indeed traded?

Now all those douche bags with the "We've got Wood" shirts can bring them out again.

Jpgr91
12-23-2011, 10:07 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/cubs-to-send-sean-marshall-to-reds-for-travis-wood.html

For Travis Wood and two prospects....seems like a bit much to give up for a set up guy. Does this set the market for Thorton if he is indeed traded?

Now all those douche bags with the "We've got Wood" shirts can bring them out again.

Marshall was one of the best relievers in baseball last year. It does not set the market for Thornton. Marshall is younger, cheaper, and better than Thornton.

PalehosePlanet
12-23-2011, 02:56 PM
I always thought The Cubs, and Larry Rothchikd in particular, did wrong by Marshall. The bullpen at one time needed a lefty, he was put in to help the pen, did well, and was forgotten as a starting pitcher.

If they would have been patient and taught him a straight change (off the fastall) to go along with a good fastball and plus curveball he could have been a solid mid-rotation starter, IMO.

slavko
12-23-2011, 05:14 PM
I always thought The Cubs, and Larry Rothchikd in particular, did wrong by Marshall. The bullpen at one time needed a lefty, he was put in to help the pen, did well, and was forgotten as a starting pitcher.

If they would have been patient and taught him a straight change (off the fastall) to go along with a good fastball and plus curveball he could have been a solid mid-rotation starter, IMO.

Is who goes to the pen a pitching coach decision? I agree that he's a heckuva pitcher and better than Thornton. His curve looks more like Sale's without the scary mechanics. Might he be reconverted to starting?

DSpivack
12-23-2011, 05:16 PM
My cousin is friends with his wife's family, she said he seemed very nice.

I remember reading that he bought a house in Lincolnwood, guess that will be going on the market now.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-23-2011, 06:37 PM
I always liked Marshall. I'm not familiar with the guys the Reds gave up, but Marshall was very dominant.

DrCrawdad
12-24-2011, 04:42 PM

Cubs
Sean Marshall, a relief pitcher with one year till free agency, traded for Travis Wood, a young lefty starter and two decent prospects.

Sox
Sergio Santos, a closer under contract for several years, traded for Nestor Molina who is a very good prospect.

I hope that the Sox are that confident that Molina is an absolute stud and a virtual lock to contribute on the ML team. I look at these two trades and wonder why the Sox couldn't have got another prospect in return.

Foulke You
12-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Cubs
Sean Marshall, a relief pitcher with one year till free agency, traded for Travis Wood, a young lefty starter and two decent prospects.

Sox
Sergio Santos, a closer under contract for several years, traded for Nestor Molina who is a very good prospect.

I hope that the Sox are that confident that Molina is an absolute stud and a virtual lock to contribute on the ML team. I look at these two trades and wonder why the Sox couldn't have got another prospect in return.
Good left handed relievers have more value than good right handed relievers and therefore usually yield more of a return in trade. Despite the fact that Santos was a closer, good left handed relievers like Marshall are tougher to come by. It's also why there is more of a market for Thornton than a lot of people on WSI seem to think.

DrCrawdad
12-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Good left handed relievers have more value than good right handed relievers and therefore usually yield more of a return in trade. Despite the fact that Santos was a closer, good left handed relievers like Marshall are tougher to come by. It's also why there is more of a market for Thornton than a lot of people on WSI seem to think.

I hope you're right, if the Sox trade Matt Thornton.

gosox41
12-27-2011, 09:07 PM

But that much more. What is the ceiling on Nestor Molina? Reports I've read say #3 at best, but anyone can be wrong. Wood is like a #4-5 and also a left. If one of the 3 prospects becomes a middle reliever/utility player or unless Nestor Molina becomes a #1 or #2, the Sox got fleeced. Hard to believe the gap between a lefty set up man and a right closer who is cheaper and under control for more years is that wide.

Bob