PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Danks signing long-term extension

Sockinchisox
12-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Doug Seyller
@k0na
Follow
#WhiteSox Danks signs a pretty big contract with the Sox. It's big...

Dan Shuftan @StateStSports
Got a call last night from someone who claims that Danks will resign with #WhiteSox for 5 year deal/54 million. #ThisIsARumor

FWIW k0na is the guy that broke the Edwin Jackson trade to the Jays.

TomBradley72
12-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Kind of interesting- IF that's the case- then they were making a decision to commit to the younger version of Mark Buehrle vs. the older/orginal version-

doublem23
12-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Kind of interesting- IF that's the case- then they were making a decision to commit to the younger version of Mark Buehrle vs. the older/orginal version-

Which I can completely live with. I can stomach losing Buehrle if it means Danks is locked up long-term.

DonnieDarko
12-21-2011, 02:58 PM

Besides them both being LHP, how are Buehrle and Danks alike in any way, shape, or form? >_>

Which I can completely live with. I can stomach losing Buehrle if it means Danks is locked up long-term.

Agreed.

KRS1
12-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Crossing my fingers on this one being true. Of all the rumors out there for our players, Danks leaving was the one I really did not want to see happen.

TomBradley72
12-21-2011, 03:20 PM

I agree- reasonable trade off-

russ99
12-21-2011, 03:26 PM
If it's true, I'll applaud it. Good pitching is hard to get, so you should hold onto the guys you think will be solid starters.

The only other issue is if Danks' salary goes up to $9-10M (estimate based on the total) for this season, who else will the Sox have to move to keep the payroll down?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-21-2011, 03:30 PM
I find it kinda hard to believe, since all I've ever heard is that he was dead-set on testing the market.

Maybe he realized that his performance wasn't all that great, and fears having another bad season will hurt his value more, so he'll take what he can get right now?

Or maybe the Sox are signing him long-term to deal him for better prospects.

Domeshot17
12-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Man I hope this is true. Danks is the type of young lefty you can build around.

rdwj
12-21-2011, 03:46 PM
That would be a bright spot in an otherwise difficult off season

gobears1987
12-21-2011, 03:54 PM
It would make letting Buehrle walk worth it. I'm saying this as someone who counts Buehrle as his all-time favorite Sox player too.

Sockinchisox
12-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Doug Seyller @k0na
#Whitesox 5yr 65mil

DumpJerry
12-21-2011, 04:15 PM
I want/hope this is true. However, Uncle Jerry agreeing to a five year deal with a starter?

Maybe John has accepted the contract he was offered and there is something resembling these numbers in it.

VMSNS
12-21-2011, 04:22 PM
I'd really love for this to be true...but I just don't see it happening. Hasn't Danks himself said on numerous occasions that he completely intends to test the free agent market?

DumpJerry
12-21-2011, 04:29 PM
I'd really love for this to be true...but I just don't see it happening. Hasn't Danks himself said on numerous occasions that he completely intends to test the free agent market?
Maybe he is understanding the risk of testing the free agent market if he gets injured between now and when he becomes a FA.

A bird in the hand.....

WhiteSox5187
12-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Well it's a good move and makes Buerhle leaving more understandable but with this extension and the rumor of the Sox being involved in the Cepedes sweepstakes it would certainly appear that our "rebuilding" phase lasted all of one week.

RichO
12-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Maybe he is understanding the risk of testing the free agent market if he gets injured between now and when he becomes a FA.

A bird in the hand.....

Plus 5/65 may not be market, but it's a deal that would be fair to both sides. He gets security and a salary that isn't wildly below market value, the Sox get a deal that he is likely to outperform. Plus, if need be, it's still a tradeable contract for as long as Danks is Danks.

Hitmen77
12-21-2011, 04:50 PM
I thought JR was dead set against giving pitchers anything more than 3 years?.....and that he made a special exception to even give Buehrle 4 years in 2007.

So, I'm skeptical of this rumor....though I'd be pleased to have it be true.

ChiSoxGal85
12-21-2011, 05:13 PM
While it doesn't take the sting out of Buehrle leaving for me, I'd be happy to see Danks here a few more years, especially if he can avoid the slow starts like 2011.

(that guy @k0na tweeted about the Edwin Jackson trade before anyone last summer. And it seemed there were a couple of other things he knew about first - although I can't remember offhand what they were now.)

kevingrt
12-21-2011, 05:54 PM
I thought JR was dead set against giving pitchers anything more than 3 years?.....and that he made a special exception to even give Buehrle 4 years in 2007.

So, I'm skeptical of this rumor....though I'd be pleased to have it be true.

Five for $65 is pretty darn cheap though. I am all for this extension. Brings a bit of a smile to my fave after seeing two of my favorite Sox players leave this winter.

thomas35forever
12-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Wouldn't be against the move, but I guess it also signals the Sox are looking to stay younger with the rotation. At least I think so.

DumpJerry
12-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Continue the discussion here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131897).