PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Changes?

Jerry_Manuel
07-18-2002, 09:06 AM
From the SouthTown (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/181sd3.htm):

Yep, the guy is on a serious roll, all right. According to one deep throat, this fall K-Won't will instruct Manuel to change coaches or else, which means Nardi Contreras, Gary Pettis and Gary Ward may not want to renew their leases. Apparently, only Manuel disciple Wallace Johnson is safe for now. And player personnel director Duane Shaffer shouldn't get too comfy, either.

delben91
07-18-2002, 09:34 AM
I liked this section too.

Trust me. As the most sophisticated in town, Sox fans will understand this time.

harwar
07-18-2002, 09:45 AM
I'd like to see manuel pick himself up by the collar and shirtback and toss himself out the door along with the other trash.

LongDistanceFan
07-18-2002, 09:59 AM
lets start with the coaches, question, when is this suppose to happen?

Jerry_Manuel
07-18-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan

If the report is correct, after the season. Or in this case, during the strike.

LongDistanceFan
07-18-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

If the report is correct, after the season. Or in this case, during the strike.

damn, it would be more news worthy if it was on done in the beginning of aug.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-18-2002, 11:14 AM
i think we should hire :harold to replace Ward. just a thought

TheBigHurt
07-18-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan

good question :D:

Kilroy
07-18-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
i think we should hire :harold to replace Ward. just a thought

Coaching usually requires communication, and we know that Harold ain't much for that...

soxtalker
07-18-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Coaching usually requires communication, and we know that Harold ain't much for that...

This is probably a common problem with hiring many of the past stars. Now, how much of our impression of communication is driven by how well the players got along with the media. For example, I've often thought that Carlton Fisk might be a great coach. But he didn't get along with much of the media. (Of course, in his case, he also didn't get along with JR.) Does that mean that he wouldn't be a good communicator with the younger players?

Iwritecode
07-18-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker This is probably a common problem with hiring many of the past stars. Now, how much of our impression of communication is driven by how well the players got along with the media. For example, I've often thought that Carlton Fisk might be a great coach. But he didn't get along with much of the media. (Of course, in his case, he also didn't get along with JR.) Does that mean that he wouldn't be a good communicator with the younger players?

Some guys just aren't made to be coaches. They can be great at doing something, but doing it is usually a lot easier than explaining it. You also have to be able to pick up minor flaws or inconsistencies in the players.

For example, Franks is a great hitter. I'm just not sure he'd be able to teach another guy how to hit. His swing is to unorthodox IMO. But it works for him.

BuehrleACE56
07-18-2002, 12:45 PM
What pisses me off is that we can plaining see how bad our hitters and pitchers are doing, and that the coaches aren't helping. Ritchie stinks, but you'd think if we had a decent pitching coach that we could right the ship somehow, or at least a little bit and fix something. Thomas took like a month to get back to hitting which means he probably had to figure it out himself since Ward is clueless. Then our atrocious baserunning exploits show just how genius Gary Pettis is. Then wavin' Wally sending Konerko home from first on a hit to shallow center field. Yet despite all these obvious short comings of our coaching staff, Hawk and DJ still insist on praising Gary Ward for "putting in the hours" with Thomas and other hitters. Saying how wonderful of a coach he is a deserving credit for Thomas' turnaround. Then talking about how Nardi is soo wise and he'll help the youngsters. Seriously DJ, are you blind? Could those two suck up to management anymore? Honestly. It's such BS and it makes me sick.

bc2k
07-18-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
Yet despite all these obvious short comings of our coaching staff, Hawk and DJ still insist on praising Gary Ward for "putting in the hours" with Thomas and other hitters. Saying how wonderful of a coach he is a deserving credit for Thomas' turnaround. Then talking about how Nardi is soo wise and he'll help the youngsters. Seriously DJ, are you blind? Could those two suck up to management anymore? Honestly. It's such BS and it makes me sick.

I think you'd enjoy Ed Farmer and John Rooney calling games on AM 1000. I do.

RedPinStripes
07-18-2002, 05:46 PM
canning the whole coaching staff would make too much sense and should have been done last year. This is KW we're talking about.

:KW
"Friends are first. Just like Uncle Jerry taught me."

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-18-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
canning the whole coaching staff would make too much sense and should have been done last year. This is KW we're talking about.

:KW
"Friends are first. Just like Uncle Jerry taught me."

:KW "What the hell do I know about being a big leauge GM anyway."