PDA

View Full Version : Wrigley Groundskeeper May Have Killed Ivy

Viva Magglio
07-18-2002, 10:01 AM
According to Ron Rapaport in the Sun-Times today, the ivy might have been killed by a Wrigley groundskeeper accidently overtreating it.

Okay, Cubune. Where's the front page apology to White Sox fans?

soxrme
07-18-2002, 10:20 AM
I am shocked!!!

CubKilla
07-18-2002, 10:26 AM
Did anybody (besides Cub fans and the Organization) really think that a White Sox fan(s) did this in the first place? And if a groundskeeper is responsible, an apology to White Sox fans from McGwire and most Chicago radio sports talk hosts is in order I think.

LongDistanceFan
07-18-2002, 10:33 AM
fair is fair, they should retract that stupid accusation and make an apology.

but obvious they are not that classy

Chisox353014
07-18-2002, 10:46 AM
Here's the text from Rappaport's column today:

E-mailer Jim Donahue, who says he has worked in the chemical part of the landscape business for years, has grave doubts that a White Sox fan or anyone else could have severely harmed the ivy at Wrigley Field by pouring something on it from the stands. "The amount of concentrated herbicide that would be needed to do the damage that quickly would stink to high hell if dumped during a game,'' Donahue says, "and would have every person in the vicinity calling for the nearest usher to rat out the person.'' A more likely explanation, he says, is that a groundskeeper misapplied a product during regular treatments. ...

If this is true, how come no Chicago newspaper or TV station could figure it out? Did anyone even ask a landscaper about what could have caused the ivy to die that fast? Or would that mean actually doing research instead of slandering Sox fans everywhere?

LongDistanceFan
07-18-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Chisox353014

E-mailer Jim Donahue, who says he has worked in the chemical part of the landscape business for years, has grave doubts that a White Sox fan or anyone else could have severely harmed the ivy at Wrigley Field by pouring something on it from the stands. "The amount of concentrated herbicide that would be needed to do the damage that quickly would stink to high hell if dumped during a game,'' Donahue says, "and would have every person in the vicinity calling for the nearest usher to rat out the person.'' A more likely explanation, he says, is that a groundskeeper misapplied a product during regular treatments. ...

If this is true, how come no Chicago newspaper or TV station could figure it out? Did anyone even ask a landscaper about what could have caused the ivy to die that fast? Or would that mean actually doing research instead of slandering Sox fans everywhere?

you have a sport radio personality suing mlb for the all-star game. why not someone suing the trib for slander?

SoxRule
07-18-2002, 11:34 AM
Somebody owes the Sox fans an apology! But don't haold your breath.

Viva Magglio
07-18-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014

Murph implied that the Cubs should apologize.

Procol Harum
07-18-2002, 12:29 PM
From the looks of it I thought that the dead spot in the ivy was a little too uniform to be the results of a quick hit by some vandal--rather it appeared to be a specific root system that was in distress. Just what you might expect if someone with long-term care access had made a boo-boo in the regimem of regular chemical treatment. The Scrubs had better be thanking their lucky stars that the whole shebang wasn't damaged: then people might not be distracted by the pretty vines and notice the lousy baseball team on the field.

Don't hold your breath for a major apology from either Cub management or the press.

Cheryl
07-18-2002, 12:33 PM
On a related note, I heard Mary Frances Veeck on the radio last night saying Sox fans are far too polite to ever be involved in vandalism at that other ballpark.

WinningUgly!
07-18-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
On a related note, I heard Mary Frances Veeck on the radio last night saying Sox fans are far too polite to ever be involved in vandalism at that other ballpark.

She obviously isn't a regular SOX and ROLL listener. :)

FJA
07-18-2002, 09:42 PM
Hey everyone; a quick note ...

I'm the summer sports editor at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign based Daily Illini (I'm the entertainment editor year-round) in Champaign. Yes, the place we now know as Bear Country.

I write a column every week, and I was so mad when I read the ivy article Tuesday morning that this week's column was about the ivy. If you get a chance, read it and let me know what you think.

Thanks!

http://dailyillini.com/jul02/jul17/sports/stories/sports_column01.shtml

Foulke You
07-18-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by FJA

I'm the summer sports editor at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign based Daily Illini (I'm the entertainment editor year-round) in Champaign. Yes, the place we now know as Bear Country.

I write a column every week, and I was so mad when I read the ivy article Tuesday morning that this week's column was about the ivy. If you get a chance, read it and let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Good article. You should make a follow up article now that it has been revealed that it almost certainly couldn't have been Sox fans.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-18-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by FJA

Thanks!

nice!

voodoochile
07-18-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by FJA

Thanks!

Greg Maddux wasn't traded. He left for less money because he wanted a chance to win a ring. Other than that, great article...

Soxheads
07-18-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Greg Maddux wasn't traded. He left for less money because he wanted a chance to win a ring. Other than that, great article...

Worked for him....

alohafri
07-18-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Did anybody (besides Cub fans and the Organization) really think that a White Sox fan(s) did this in the first place? And if a groundskeeper is responsible, an apology to White Sox fans from McGwire and most Chicago radio sports talk hosts is in order I think.

Not to mention one to yours truly from the jerkoffs on the Flub mlb boards.

DVG
07-19-2002, 12:16 AM
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT expect an apology from McGuire or any
other Tribune stooge any time soon. Once a scum-sucking
corporate scumwad, always a scum-sucking corporate scumwad.
The Tribune acheived what it wanted; the opportunity to smear
and slander Sox fans over this issue. Now everyone who watches
Cub games or reads the house organ thinks we're a bunch of
reckless vandals. The damage is done, and it is irreversible.

Incidentally, where was Johnny boy Kass? He's usually our
staunchest ally in the media. Last year, when Mariotti accused
Sox fans of being bloodthirsty barbarians (after a Cleveland
pitcher was hit by a line shot) Kass was right there to defend his
fellow fans, and more than eager to take a swipe at "Daley's News."
Now, he falls silent. Paging John Kass. We need you.

Also, is it me, or is the house organ stepping it up? It seems
that both the White Sox and Sox fans are taking a high volume
of abuse from the Tribune this year. It's almost like the Tribune
is actively engaging in a smear campaign. I mean, even sus-
pects of the most heinous crimes are referred to as the "alleged"
perpetrator. Did Morrissey, Greenstein, McGuire or any other
Tribune scumbag "allege" that a vandal did it? Save it, I know
the answer to that one. In a smear campaign, anything goes.

Imagine this now. Imagine an explosion somewhere in the city,
anywhere. A bomb that had been set by someone.Imagine Mayor
Daley saying "It had to be a Muslim fanatic. No decent, God-fearing
Christian-American would do such a thing." Think the
Tribune would give that statement the same credence? And do
you think the news would get quotes from people about what
horrible people Muslims are, and how they terrorize Christians?

Sorry I'm going off like this, but I can't help it. I truly believe the
Tribune is actively trying to help run the Sox out of town.

ISUSoxfan
07-19-2002, 02:29 AM
I don't quite get the analogy of killing weeds to setting off a bomb. I wish it had been a Sox fan who poisoned the ivy. It's a funny, harmless prank and no lives were ever in danger.

DVG
07-19-2002, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by ISUSoxfan
I don't quite get the analogy of killing weeds to setting off a bomb. I wish it had been a Sox fan who poisoned the ivy. It's a funny, harmless prank and no lives were ever in danger.

Perhaps I hyperventilated just a bit. My point was not to compare
killing the ivy to setting off a bomb; it was to point out that the
stories were a vicious attack on all White Sox fans, who were
judged guilty of this "prank" as you call it, without a smidgen of
evidence. Morrissey, Greenstein and others attacked all Sox fans
without even knowing if one fan was even resposible for the
heinous deed. I wanted to pointed out that there is no way anyone
could get away with that sort of story or that kind of
quote if we're dealing with a bomb that went off. I may have
picked a poor analogy. Another fan on this board (I don't recall
who) said it better, calling it "the sports fan equivalent of racial
profiling." That's the point I was trying to make.

guillen4life13
07-19-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by DVG
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT expect an apology from McGuire or any
other Tribune stooge any time soon. Once a scum-sucking
corporate scumwad, always a scum-sucking corporate scumwad.
The Tribune acheived what it wanted; the opportunity to smear
and slander Sox fans over this issue. Now everyone who watches
Cub games or reads the house organ thinks we're a bunch of
reckless vandals. The damage is done, and it is irreversible.

Incidentally, where was Johnny boy Kass? He's usually our
staunchest ally in the media. Last year, when Mariotti accused
Sox fans of being bloodthirsty barbarians (after a Cleveland
pitcher was hit by a line shot) Kass was right there to defend his
fellow fans, and more than eager to take a swipe at "Daley's News." Now, he falls silent. Paging John Kass. We need you.

Also, is it me, or is the house organ stepping it up? It seems
that both the White Sox and Sox fans are taking a high volume
of abuse from the Tribune this year. It's almost like the Tribune
is actively engaging in a smear campaign. I mean, even sus-
pects of the most heinous crimes are referred to as the "alleged"
perpetrator. Did Morrissey, Greenstein, McGuire or any other
Tribune scumbag "allege" that a vandal did it? Save it, I know
the answer to that one. In a smear campaign, anything goes.

Imagine this now. Imagine an explosion somewhere in the city,
anywhere. A bomb that had been set by someone.Imagine Mayor
Daley saying "It had to be a Muslim fanatic. No decent, God-fearing Christian-American would do such a thing." Think the
Tribune would give that statement the same credence? And do
you think the news would get quotes from people about what
horrible people Muslims are, and how they terrorize Christians?

Sorry I'm going off like this, but I can't help it. I truly believe the
Tribune is actively trying to help run the Sox out of town.

well... the tribune is pretty right wing, so maybe they actually would stand behind the "no decent, God-fearing christian-american would ever do this."

Cheryl
07-19-2002, 01:50 PM
Those ****ers at the Cubune will not let this rest. This is on today's Tempo section online:

"A large patch of Wrigley Field ivy started dying shortly after the June 14-16 White Sox-Cubs series, and Cubs officials suspect a Sox fan is the culprit. The Tempo Subcommittee on Subversive Acts suggests the following acts of revenge for the chagrined North Siders:

- Plant poison ivy on the walls of Comiskey.

- Surround Comiskey with Land Rovers and hurl hunks of polenta and brie at Sox fans from behind the tinted glass.

- Replace the beer with white zinfandel.

- Get that annoying pod person from the Verizon ads to walk around the stands saying, "Jerry Manuel, can you hear me now? Good."

- Move ugly Michigan Avenue statue of Jack Brickhouse to main gate of Sox park.

- Clog the drain of the center-field shower.

- Whenever Magglio Ordonez comes up to bat, loudly cheer "Sam-mee, Sam-mee."

- Just be yourselves. Nothing is more annoying to Sox fans than Cubs fans.

- Paint over all the signs on Comiskey Park to make them read WorldCom-iskey Park."