PDA

View Full Version : Where is the 'One Dumb Owner' for Prince Fielder?

Fenway
12-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Bill Madden thinks there will be one...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/prince-fielder-t-find-owner-overpay-services-arte-moreno-albert-pujols-article-1.993075

http://media.arkansasonline.com/img/photos/2010/09/02/2Ccaray3colbw_t600.jpg?4326734cdb8e39baa3579048ef6 3ad7b451e7676

gosox41
12-17-2011, 10:25 PM

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/prince-fielder-t-find-owner-overpay-services-arte-moreno-albert-pujols-article-1.993075

http://media.arkansasonline.com/img/photos/2010/09/02/2Ccaray3colbw_t600.jpg?4326734cdb8e39baa3579048ef6 3ad7b451e7676

If you're a team that thinks they are close to winning, it's worth signing him for a 3 year contrat, IMHO. Anything above that is too risky.

Bob

jamokes
12-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Actually Fielder and his agent were probably hoping for two dumb owners to jack up the bidding.........PS; on a separate note after looking at the Ricketts picture, hasn't Dutchie's 10 minutes of fame ended?:o:

Whitesox029
12-20-2011, 04:27 PM
My question is: when will Boras start whining about collusion? Can that argument even be made or proven given what Pujols got? If the other 29 owners each independently see it as a bad business decision, and no one wants to give him the money or years that he demands, I would think the collective hands of Boras/Fielder/MLBPA would be tied. Could be good news for the Brewers, as I'm sure he'd stay in Milwaukee if no one else was going to blow their potential offer out of the water.

TDog
12-20-2011, 05:13 PM
My question is: when will Boras start whining about collusion? Can that argument even be made or proven given what Pujols got? If the other 29 owners each independently see it as a bad business decision, and no one wants to give him the money or years that he demands, I would think the collective hands of Boras/Fielder/MLBPA would be tied. Could be good news for the Brewers, as I'm sure he'd stay in Milwaukee if no one else was going to blow their potential offer out of the water.

Complaining about something and being justified in your complaint are not always the same thing. The answer to your initial question would be probably.

It is possible, of course, for owners to collude against one specific player, so the Puljos signing doesn't rule out collusion against Fielder. (Baseball at one time colluded against African-American men with impunity, but it would be held accountable for doing so again.) Collusion against Fielder would be the difference between conspiring to keep salaries down and conspiring against a specific player. Barry Bonds argued that he was the victim of collusion. If teams agree they don't want a certain player to sign with a new team, that would be collusion. One would think it wouldn't take a conspiracy for teams not to sign Bonds but teams not signing Fielder might raise questions. The union would still have to prove the elements of collusion. But they would have to show it was directed more specifically.

soxinem1
12-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Honestly, you have to look at the facts. There is no collusion, there is substantial risk.

Albert Pujols might be older, and many of us suspect even older than his stated age, however he is one of the few MLB players that is a gate draw both at home and on the road.

Among almost all MLB teams that would realistically afford Fielder, 1B is a pretty set position and/or there are in-house options for the position.

Additionally, many contenders seem more willing to spend their available $$$$ on pitching.

I think teams are also waiting for the clock to tick. Honestly, as time goes by the likelihood of Fielder getting the 8-10 year deal he is looking for keeps diminishing.

And while Prince is by far and away a better hitter than his Dad, teams remember that Cecil was a .240 hitter not far from his 30th birthday. Since they share most physical attributes, who wants to have a $25 million/year DH who is done for less than 2/5 through the mega-contract Boras is looking to get for him?

At the same token, if he agrees to taking a 5-6 year deal from someone in the $19-22 million/year range, and even have a couple easily-attainable options attached, there will be many suitors for him, including MIL.

I just can't see the 8+ years guaranteed coming to Prince, and he can blame himself.

ComiskeyBrewer
12-20-2011, 09:57 PM
I'd die from laughter if Boras doesn't get an offer above the 5yr/$100m contract the brewers offered him last year. With the signing of Ramirez, i doubt the Brewers can afford to offer him $20m/yr. The team that was expected to drop tons of cash on him was the Rangers, and with winning the bidding for Darvish, they won't have the money. Who does that leave? Maybe the Mariners or Cubs?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-21-2011, 05:46 AM
I'd die from laughter if Boras doesn't get an offer above the 5yr/$100m contract the brewers offered him last year. With the signing of Ramirez, i doubt the Brewers can afford to offer him $20m/yr. The team that was expected to drop tons of cash on him was the Rangers, and with winning the bidding for Darvish, they won't have the money. Who does that leave? Maybe the Mariners or Cubs?

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

The Rangers, with their new TV deal, are absolutely awash in cash. I can still see them making a play for Fielder even if they get Darvish.

They have to try to steal some of the "Pujols to Angels" thunder.

Thome25
12-21-2011, 10:57 AM

That's one dumb owner whether he signs Fielder or not.

Irishsox1
12-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Fielder is 5-11 and weighs close to 300 pounds. That right there is a big problem.

Of course someone will say what about CC Sabathia, he's fat. He's 6-7.

soltrain21
12-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Fielder is 5-11 and weighs close to 300 pounds. That right there is a big problem.

Of course someone will say what about CC Sabathia, he's fat. He's 6-7.

Is it? Because all I see is a guy who flat out hits the ball.

Irishsox1
12-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Is it? Because all I see is a guy who flat out hits the ball.

Put yourself in the shoes of an owner. Who do you want to pay a huge long term contract to? A 5-11 guy a cheese burger short of 300 pounds isn't going to be high on your list.

soltrain21
12-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Put yourself in the shoes of an owner. Who do you want to pay a huge long term contract to? A 5-11 guy a cheese burger short of 300 pounds isn't going to be high on your list.

Well, good thing he doesn't eat cheeseburgers then, huh?

white sox bill
12-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Couldn't we use same thread name for a guy named Adam Dunn?

sullythered
12-21-2011, 07:47 PM

Well if that guy's career seasonal averages were .282/.390/.540, with 37 HR and 106 RBI, and he's under 30, he might be.