PDA

View Full Version : Reds Acquire Mat Latos

DirtySox
12-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
Source: #Reds acquire Latos from #Padres. Yonder Alonso among those headed to Pads. #MLB
14 minutes ago

Great pickup for Cinci.

CPditka
12-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Yonder Alonso and prospects back to San Diego.

SD has a glut of 1B/OF prospects, Blanks, Rizzo, now Alonso...I sense another move happening asap.

Nice deal for Reds, Alonso was blocked by Votto, and sucks in the OF.

DirtySox
12-17-2011, 12:32 PM
@TroyRenck
Troy Renck, Rockies
Told by source that edinson Volquez going in trade to padres
5 minutes ago via TweetDeck Favorite Retweet Reply

DirtySox
12-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Padres San Diego Padres
#Padres acquire RHPs Edinson Volquez & Brad Boxberger, INF Yonder Alonso and C Yasmani Grandal from #Reds for RHP Mat Latos
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

DirtySox
12-17-2011, 12:34 PM
That is a monstrous haul for San Diego. Love the return.

Sargeant79
12-17-2011, 12:39 PM

Agreed. Volquez had a great season in 2008 but hasn't been healthy since, and Grandal is an excellent catching prospect. Between those two and Alonso, SD may have gotten three impact players back for Latos.

DirtySox
12-17-2011, 12:40 PM
As a Reds fan I think they gave up too much. Latos is a pretty damn solid top of the rotation piece though. 4 more years of team control too.

KMcMahon817
12-17-2011, 12:43 PM
WOW!!!!

Grandal, Alonso AND AND AND AND Volquez? Wow.

DirtySox
12-17-2011, 12:44 PM
WOW!!!!

Grandal, Alonso AND AND AND AND Volquez? Wow.

And Boxberger, a relief prospect who is no slouch.

13.5 SO/9 between AA and AAA last season.

KMcMahon817
12-17-2011, 12:48 PM
And Boxberger, a relief prospect who is no slouch.

13.5 SO/9 between AA and AAA last season.

Yeah, I see that now. Pretty amazing trade for the Padres. I am sure some fans are disappointed to see him go, but it is hard to be mad about this trade.

This is one of those trades that the Padres had no reason to move Latos. They had to be blown away by an offer, and well, they were.

Part of me is disappointed because I viewed the Reds as a good place for Danks to land. I would have been thrilled with Grandal alone. But this trade can only help the starting pitcher trade market for the sellers. The Reds just gave up A TON.

DirtySox
12-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I see that now. Pretty amazing trade for the Padres. I am sure some fans are disappointed to see him go, but it is hard to be mad about this trade.

This is one of those trades that the Padres had no reason to move Latos. They had to be blown away by an offer, and well, they were.

Part of me is disappointed because I viewed the Reds as a good place for Danks to land. I would have been thrilled with Grandal alone. But this trade can only help the starting pitcher trade market for the sellers. The Reds just gave up A TON.

Yea. I wanted Grandal myself. I'm not sure they matched up well with the Sox, as I think Kenny primarily wants starting pitching.

The Reds gave up tons, but the Central is wide open right now and they really needed someone to solidify the rotation. If you think about it, an arguement could be made that Latos warranted more than what it would take to acquire Gio.

DirtySox
12-17-2011, 12:52 PM
JeffPassan Jeff Passan
Can't wait to see what teams with starting pitching ask in return now. If Latos can get that, what would Gio/Danks/Garza/Jurrjens/etc. get?
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

DirtySox
12-17-2011, 12:53 PM
And about that glut of 1B/DH/Corner OF types now in San Diego.

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
Rival exec on #Padres' next move: "Trade Rizzo. No doubt." #MLB
41 seconds ago

DirtySox
12-17-2011, 01:02 PM
jonmorosi Jon Morosi
Some wondering if Rizzo could be part of package to #Rays for Wade Davis. Makes perfect sense. Davis similar to Latos in service time.

That would be a pretty stellar set of trades for Byrnes.

DirtySox
12-17-2011, 01:34 PM
JonHeymanCBS Jon Heyman
Some expect padres to flip alonso. They have good 1b prospect (rizzo). And says 1 nl exec: "no way alonso can play LF in petco."
38 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

VMSNS
12-17-2011, 01:40 PM
JonHeymanCBS Jon Heyman
Some expect padres to flip alonso. They have good 1b prospect (rizzo). And says 1 nl exec: "no way alonso can play LF in petco."
38 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

...Alonso for Danks?

KMcMahon817
12-17-2011, 01:50 PM
...Alonso for Danks?

No, no, no no, NO!

The SOX have no room for another ****ty corner OF/DH/1B type. We have Paulie, Viciedo, Dunn and Quentin already. Alonso is going to hit in the majors, but the SOX are not a good fit. At all.

Not to mention, SD would have no interest in one year of Danks. If he is dealt, it will be to a team going for it in 2012.

TDog
12-17-2011, 04:11 PM
No, no, no no, NO!

The SOX have no room for another ****ty corner OF/DH/1B type. We have Paulie, Viciedo, Dunn and Quentin already. Alonso is going to hit in the majors, but the SOX are not a good fit. At all.

Not to mention, SD would have no interest in one year of Danks. If he is dealt, it will be to a team going for it in 2012.

Not that I disagree with your overall point, but how many of the four named White Sox players did you intend to describe with your expletive adjective?

cards press box
12-17-2011, 06:42 PM
JeffPassan Jeff Passan
Can't wait to see what teams with starting pitching ask in return now. If Latos can get that, what would Gio/Danks/Garza/Jurrjens/etc. get?

Agreed. The market has shifted for the Yankees, Rangers, Rockies, Cardinals, Mets or other teams looking for starting pitching.

Yea. I wanted Grandal myself.

And maybe the Sox still get him. San Diego has inquired about Carlos Quentin and I could see a deal in Quentin goes to the Padres and Grandal and pitching prospect come back to the Sox.

If you think about it, an arguement could be made that Latos warranted more than what it would take to acquire Gio.

I definitely think that's the case. Mat Latos is likely the best pitcher to change teams this offeseason, so far. C.J. Wilson has a better year last year but Latos, in my view, has more upside.

Yeah, maybe San Diego fans don't miss Jed Hoyer and his not so monstrous haul for Adrian Gonzalez.

KMcMahon817
12-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Not that I disagree with your overall point, but how many of the four named White Sox players did you intend to describe with your expletive adjective?

Alonso is a poor outfielder that will end up being a 1B. We have a 1B, and two other guys in Viciedo and Dunn that can play 1B.

The SOX do not need another guy who plays the corner outfield poorly, or can be throw in at first. Therefore it makes no sense that people regularly suggest it.

And Cards, if KW could get Grandal from SD for Quentin, that would be amazing. But it ain't gonna happen.

DSpivack
12-18-2011, 01:39 AM
I don't know that this necessarily means great things for the Sox. Latos, as I understand it, is a year away even from arbitration and is under team control for four years. Danks is a free agent next season. Even if you think Danks is the superior pitcher, Latos still has much more value.

Bucky F. Dent
12-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Volquez is an outstanding talent, but every time I see his thin wiry arm thrown that triple figure fastball I cringe a bit expecting to see ligaments explode in his wrist, elbow, or shoulder......or perhaps I should say wrist, elbow, and shoulder.