PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Twinkees sign Josh Willingham

Foulke You
12-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Multi-year deal:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/twins-agree-to-sign-josh-willingham.html

Frater Perdurabo
12-13-2011, 08:18 PM
If he wasn't a Sox killer before, he certainly will be now.

DumpJerry
12-13-2011, 10:18 PM
The link says this pretty much ends Cuddyer's career with the Twins. That's a good thing for us.

thomas35forever
12-13-2011, 11:23 PM
The link says this pretty much ends Cuddyer's career with the Twins. That's a good thing for us.
Please. How many times have we said that about many Twins players only to be wrong?

KMcMahon817
12-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Three years @ $21M. Not a bad deal for either side. Willingham isn't much of an outfielder, however.

Daver
12-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Three years @ $21M. Not a bad deal for either side. Willingham isn't much of an outfielder, however.

Neither is Quentin or Viciedo, and they will be starting in the corner spots for the White Sox next season.

DumpJerry
12-14-2011, 07:58 AM

Please. How many times have we said that about many Twins players only to be wrong?
:scratch: You tell us. How many times have we been glad to see a player leave the Twins and then kill us with his new team? Santana? Gomez? Those guys went to the NL.

asindc
12-14-2011, 08:31 AM
:scratch: You tell us. How many times have we been glad to see a player leave the Twins and then kill us with his new team? Santana? Gomez? Those guys went to the NL.

I think he's talking about Nick Punto.

doublem23
12-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Neither is Quentin or Viciedo, and they will be starting in the corner spots for the White Sox next season.

Their park has a lot more room to cover at the COF positions, though.

12-14-2011, 09:51 AM
That seems like a ton of money for Josh Willingham.

ohiosoxfan
12-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Reports have it that the Twinks will only sign one of Willingham, Cuddyer and Kubel. That could mean TWO Sox killers are gone from Minnesota. Also seems like the Twinks are getting weaker. . . (not that we aren't as well)

doublem23
12-14-2011, 11:03 AM

That's what I thought, too, Willingham's going to be 36 years old when this contract is done.

An OF of Willingham/Span/Revere? I'll take our chances against that.

TommyGavinFloyd
12-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Reports have it that the Twinks will only sign one of Willingham, Cuddyer and Kubel. That could mean TWO Sox killers are gone from Minnesota. Also seems like the Twinks are getting weaker. . . (not that we aren't as well)

That's almost too good to be true. Come on Rockies get Cuddyer already. Get at least one of them the hell out of there.

KMcMahon817
12-14-2011, 12:07 PM

What Double M said.

And, I would venture a guess that Quentin is not on the Opening day roster. Even if the SOX decide not to do a full-rebuild, Q should be probably be dealt. But agreed an outfield of with Quentin and Viciedo would be pretty awful defensively.

Hitmen77
12-14-2011, 12:22 PM

I think he means that whoever the Twins get as a replacement to the old Sox killer turns out to be just as much of a Sox killer.

That's why our team just has to: :tiphat:

asindc
12-14-2011, 12:22 PM

Especially since he is no better defensively than Cuddyer.

JB98
12-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Especially since he is no better defensively than Cuddyer.

I think Cuddyer is a better outfielder than Willingham.

I'd love to see Cuddyer out of our division.

The Twinks are having some problems. Giving all that money to Mauer has really tied their hands. Too much $$$ wrapped up into one guy.

DirtySox
12-14-2011, 01:30 PM

The Twinks are having some problems. Giving all that money to Mauer has really tied their hands. Too much $$$ wrapped up into one guy.

They've made the right choice in grabbing Willingham and letting Cuddyer and Kubel walk. They are netting 3 draft picks this way. The Twins are in a bad spot right now with a bad major league club and a pretty thin farm system. They won't be contending for a thing next year.

KMcMahon817
12-14-2011, 01:30 PM

Annnnnd its only the very beginning.

JB98
12-14-2011, 02:45 PM
They've made the right choice in grabbing Willingham and letting Cuddyer and Kubel walk. They are netting 3 draft picks this way. The Twins are in a bad spot right now with a bad major league club and a pretty thin farm system. They won't be contending for a thing next year.

The young players they had up last year were not impressive. That much I know. I understand their strategy, but I'm still going to be glad about Cuddyer and Kubel being the hell out of our division.

Kubel has basically built his entire career on murdering Sox pitching.

doublem23
12-14-2011, 02:57 PM
What Double M said.

And, I would venture a guess that Quentin is not on the Opening day roster. Even if the SOX decide not to do a full-rebuild, Q should be probably be dealt. But agreed an outfield of with Quentin and Viciedo would be pretty awful defensively.

It should also be noted that if Quentin is on the Opening Day roster, you're going to see a lot of Alex Rios or Alejandro de Aza in RF, too, if the Sox are going to find PT for all these outfielders.

Foulke You
12-14-2011, 03:23 PM

Cuddyer and Kubel out of the AL Central would be fantastic. Those guys alone were responsible for so many Sox losses. I'll take my chances with Willingham and whoever else the Twins replace them with.

You are right about the Mauer contract killing them but also the hefty Morneau deal has hurt them as well considering he has barely played the last two seasons.