PDA

View Full Version : This year's 'One Dumb Owner' is Angels boss Arte Moreno

Fenway
12-10-2011, 06:51 PM
This year's 'One Dumb Owner' is Angels boss Arte Moreno

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/year-dumb-owner-angels-boss-arte-moreno-article-1.989679#ixzz1gBOp8dun

soltrain21
12-10-2011, 06:54 PM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/year-dumb-owner-angels-boss-arte-moreno-article-1.989679#ixzz1gBOp8dun

Coming from a paper in New York? That's rich.

Slats
12-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Coming from a paper in New York? That's rich.

:rolling::rolling:

Fenway
12-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Albert Pujols, C.J. Wilson signing to Angels presents major problems out west for Yankees, Brian Cashman

Angels turn up heat on Yankees by landing Albert Pujols & C.J. Wilson

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/pujols-angels-hell-yankees-article-1.989034#ixzz1gBX616Xj

cards press box
12-11-2011, 01:29 AM

I know that Yankeeworld is in freefall, as it is obvious that the Phillies and Angels are the teams to beat in 2012. But where does Bill Madden come off calling Arte Moreno one dumb owner?

It is one thing for the Nationals to spend a king's ransom on an overrated Jayson Werth but we're not talking Werth here -- this is Albert Pujols whom the Angels signed and locked up for the next decade. Pujols can man first base for a while and then slide into the DH role at the end of the contract. Pujols is in the Ruth/Gehrig/Foxx/T. Williams/F. Thomas class of hitters and may be at the very top of that class.

It seems to me that Moreno made a brilliant move. He paid top dollar for the best player in the game but may well have gotten a bargain. The yearly value of Pujols' contract is roughly the same as what the Yankees pay Mark Teixeira and Alex Rodriguez. I think the Angels got the advantage there.

And if that weren't enough, Moreno then signs C.J. Wilson and gives the Angels a legitimate championship quality quartet of starting pitchers: Wilson, Dan Haren, Jared Weaver and Ervin Santana.

On the business side, Moreno signs Pujols and Wilson and then inks a 20 year/roughly $3 billion deal with Fox sports.

Dumb owner? That is nothing more than New York "sour grapes." Arte Moreno looks like one smart cookie to me.

gobears1987
12-11-2011, 03:41 AM
Furthermore, he's going to give himself a boost in the nation's 2nd largest market at a time when the other team in the market is down.

TommyJohn
12-11-2011, 08:08 AM
I know that Yankeeworld is in freefall, as it is obvious that the Phillies and Angels are the teams to beat in 2012. But how does Bill Madden come off calling Arte Moreno one dumb owner?

It is one thing for the Nationals to spend a king's ransom on an overrated Jayson Werth but we're not talking Werth here -- this is Albert Pujols who the Angels signed and locked up for the next decade. Pujols can man first base for a while and then slide into the DH role at the end of the contract. Pujols is in the Ruth/Gehrig/Foxx/T. Williams/F. Thomas class of hitters and may be at the very top of that class.

It seems to me that Moreno made a brilliant move. He paid top dollar for the best player in the game but may have gotten a bargain. The yearly value of Pujols' contract is roughly the same as what the Yankees pay Mark Teixeira and Alex Rodriguez. I think the Angels got the advantage theres.

And if that weren't enough, Moreno then signs C.J. Wilson and gives the Angels a legitimate championship quality quartet of starting pitchers: Wilson, Dan Haren, Jared Weaver and Ervin Santana.

On the business side, Moreno signs Pujols and Wilson and then inks a 20 year/roughly $3 billion deal with Fox sports.

Dumb owner? That is nothing more than New York "sour grapes." Arte Moreno looks like one smart cookie to me.

Apparently only the New York Yankees are allowed to spend money like that.

dickallen15
12-11-2011, 07:17 PM
The Angels just agreed to a 20 year $3 billion TV deal. Arte is spending money he's making.

Lip Man 1
12-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Moreno has made the Angels relevent in SoCal and has taken the Dodgers on.

I'd say he's anything but dumb.

Lip

TheVulture
12-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Besides, by 2022, twenty-five million dollars might buy you a used Hyundai and a cup of coffee.

DumpJerry
12-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Furthermore, he's going to give himself a boost in the nation's 2nd largest market at a time when the other team in the market is down.
It's a market that has consistently supported only one pro team: the Lakers (who only need less than 20,000 to sell out their arena).

doublem23
12-12-2011, 09:00 AM
It's a market that has consistently supported only one pro team: the Lakers (who only need less than 20,000 to sell out their arena).

I don't know, the Dodgers have been pretty well supported. We can debate the merits of the SoCal fan mindset that is notorious late, but since the Dodgers moved out to LA in 1958, they have been one of the top 3 draws in the NL every year except for, by my count, 4 seasons, and most of the time they are the #1 team in the league by straight attendance.

Johnny Mostil
12-12-2011, 09:17 AM
I don't know, the Dodgers have been pretty well supported. We can debate the merits of the SoCal fan mindset that is notorious late, but since the Dodgers moved out to LA in 1958, they have been one of the top 3 draws in the NL every year except for, by my count, 4 seasons, and most of the time they are the #1 team in the league by straight attendance.

Yep. http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAD/attend.shtml

For that matter, the Angels have done rather well since winning the World Series, drawing at least 3M and finishing in the top three in attendance among AL teams every year since then: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ANA/attend.shtml

Fenway
12-12-2011, 09:41 AM

The LA Kings have done very well at Staples.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Hitmen77
12-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Moreno has made the Angels relevent in SoCal and has taken the Dodgers on.

I'd say he's anything but dumb.

Lip

Yeah, no kidding.

Let's see, 5 division titles since they won the WS in 2002, and they might be pennant favorites in 2012.

Like you said, he's anything but dumb. I'll take what the Angels ownership has done in putting a team that competes for the playoffs pretty much year after year over Sox ownership that seems to reward loyalty over accountability.

Moreno has grown the Angels fanbase while the Sox have seen attendance shrink for 5 straight years. But, I'm glad JR has the "fiscal responsibility" trophy to brag about.

Like cards press box said, the Jason Werth contract was dumb. IMO, the Cubs' Soriano contract was dumb. But, Albert Pujols is pretty much a lock to be a first ballot Hall of Famer. That contract might be a bad one over it's last 2 or 3 years, but $25M/yr for Pujols doesn't sound outrageous for 2012. That's about the same the Sox are paying for the dynamic duo of Dunn and Rios for the next 3 years.

I guess to some reporters, it's only okay when NY or Boston gobbles up all the all-stars and future HOF-ers.