PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Braun Tests Positive for Performance Enhancing Drugs

soxnut1018
12-10-2011, 07:41 PM
YSSRTwinCities YSSR Twin Cities
sources saying NL MVP Ryan Braun has tested positive for performance enhancing drugs. We'll update you with the latest as this story...
21 minutes ago

BNightengale Bob Nightengale
#MLB about to be hit with a bombshell. Hard to believe this news
1 minute ago

jay_jaffe Jay Jaffe
I'm told the Braun story is about to break nationally.
1 minute ago

DirtySox
12-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Wow. :o:

soltrain21
12-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Well, holy ****.

soxnut1018
12-10-2011, 07:44 PM
jordanschelling Jordan Schelling
Wow. Braun suspended 50 games for using PEDs.
22 seconds ago

DirtySox
I'm disappointed.

soxnut1018
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7338271/ryan-braun-milwaukee-brewers-tests-positive-performance-enhancing-drug

SoxandtheCityTee
12-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Will this never end?

BleacherBandit
I want to know more before I cast judgment.

TDog
I'm really not surprised.

SephClone89
12-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Goddammit,.

thomas35forever
12-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Uh-oh. There goes Milwaukee's image as a completely clean team.

That's really messed up.

EMachine10
12-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Incredible.

Vestigio
12-10-2011, 07:50 PM
This is a huge disappointment, Braun was probably one of my favorite non-Sox players

SephClone89
12-10-2011, 07:51 PM
This is a huge disappointment, Braun was probably one of my favorite non-Sox players

I was growing rather fond of him as well.

Viva Medias B's
12-10-2011, 07:51 PM
:tool
"Oh, ****."

thomas35forever
12-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Who else out there is unclean?

EMachine10
12-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Who else out there is unclean?

That's the million dollar question.

GoGoCrede
12-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Saw this on Facebook, thought it was a joke. :o:

soltrain21
12-10-2011, 07:55 PM
saw this on facebook, thought it was a joke. :o:

Oh did you now? Do I look like a prankster? HUH?

GoGoCrede
12-10-2011, 07:55 PM
I want to know more before I cast judgment.

What more would you need to know? Honest question.

GoGoCrede
12-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Oh did you now? Do i look like a prankster? HUH?

You do have a jovial nature. :D:

RKMeibalane
12-10-2011, 07:57 PM
As this was just released, we should wait until we have more information before passing judgement. That being said, any suspicion of PED use makes Frank Thomas' achievements in a Sox uniform all the more remarkable.

:hurt

"I am the man."

Brian26
12-10-2011, 08:01 PM
YSSRTwinCities YSSR Twin Cities
sources saying NL MVP Ryan Braun has tested positive for performance enhancing drugs. We'll update you with the latest as this story...
21 minutes ago

BNightengale Bob Nightengale
#MLB about to be hit with a bombshell. Hard to believe this news
1 minute ago

jay_jaffe Jay Jaffe
I'm told the Braun story is about to break nationally.
1 minute ago

Speechless.

Fenway
12-10-2011, 08:05 PM
He is fighting it so let us see how it plays out.

BUT

That Montreal lab is usually dead on.

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/Footer-Links/Contact/Office-Locations/

GoGoCrede
12-10-2011, 08:07 PM
He is fighting it so let us see how it plays out.

BUT

That Montreal lab is usually dead on.

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/Footer-Links/Contact/Office-Locations/

His denial is interesting...we will indeed have to see how it plays out. I think it's important to remember that these accusations make baseball as a whole look bad to an extent, so these allegations must not have been made lightly.

cheezheadsoxfan
12-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Damn, I hate to hear that. But the silver lining could be that the new system is working. (Said hopefully)

Fenway
12-10-2011, 08:22 PM
His denial is interesting...we will indeed have to see how it plays out. I think it's important to remember that these accusations make baseball as a whole look bad to an extent, so these allegations must not have been made lightly.

This Montreal lab was born because of Canada's shame over Ben Johnson in the 1988 Olympics. They are the best in the world.

In any event you would think a player would call the union these days before he takes an aspirin.

HomeFish
12-10-2011, 08:23 PM
I too am very disappointed.

PaleHoser
12-10-2011, 08:24 PM
I still think the only way to make this stop is to allow clubs to void guaranteed contracts for players who test positive.

Jason Giambi made $100M from the Yankees on a contract based on numbers he put up while juiced. In the real world, this would constitute fraud.

The Players Association would never allow it, and ownership would be afraid to fight the battle because they've never won a battle with the Players Association.

But by God, put me on that jury and you'd have a hard time convincing me that someone who put up enormous numbers and tested positive in the same season doesn't deserve to be fired.

BleacherBandit
12-10-2011, 08:24 PM
What more would you need to know? Honest question.

When I responded to this all the evidence there was were these three tweets.

TheVulture
12-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Damn, I hate to hear that. But the silver lining could be that the new system is working. (Said hopefully)

If it was really working, the reigning MVP from a team competing for the World Series wouldn't have been doping in his award winning season. They need harsher penalties IMO - 1st strike out a year, 2nd out for life, if not 1st strike.

Lip Man 1
12-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Amazing.

Lip

cheezheadsoxfan
12-10-2011, 08:36 PM
If it was really working, the reigning MVP from a team competing for the World Series wouldn't have been doping in his award winning season. They need harsher penalties IMO - 1st strike out a year, 2nd out for life, if not 1st strike.

Can't argue with that. And as another poster said, voiding guaranteed contracts.

TaylorStSox
12-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Honestly, I think about half of MLB is still dirty and 90% of the NFL.

Noneck
12-10-2011, 08:45 PM
The reason this continues is because of money, money is the reward so the deterrent has to be the possible loss of more money than the reward. Lifetime ban after 1st positive, contract voided.

cheezheadsoxfan
12-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Will be interesting to see if there really are "unusual circumstances" or if they are just playing for time while figuring how to spin it.

sox1970
12-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Honestly, I always suspected that guy.

What a nightmare for Baseball.

soxnut1018
12-10-2011, 09:02 PM
ChuckGarfien Chuck Garfien
Right after Braun got PED positive results, he immediately asked for another test which reportedly came back normal.
2 minutes ago

WhiteSox5187
12-10-2011, 09:05 PM
ChuckGarfien Chuck Garfien
Right after Braun got PED positive results, he immediately asked for another test which reportedly came back normal.
2 minutes ago

That's not very reassuring as the drug might have been out of his system by then. This is very disappointing and it makes me wonder about a lot of other guys out there.

DirtySox
12-10-2011, 09:08 PM
That's not very reassuring as the drug might have been out of his system by then.

This is indeed the case. Especially if it was weeks after ingestion.

guillensdisciple
12-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Don't really see how anyone could have suspected it with this guy. It's not like his numbers have been otherworldly like Bonds and all of those other guys have pulled. He's been consistent throughout. I want to hear the whole story.

Patrick134
12-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Don't really see how anyone could have suspected it with this guy. It's not like his numbers have been otherworldly like Bonds and all of those other guys have pulled. He's been consistent throughout. I want to hear the whole story.

You could take PED's , and then have a great season that you would have had anyway without taking them. but that's irrelevant. Once you've taken them, it taints everything you've done.

Noneck
12-10-2011, 09:17 PM
You could take PED's , and then have a great season that you would have had anyway without taking them. but that's irrelevant. Once you've taken them, it taints everything you've done.
And everything you have done previously is looked upon as PEDS enhanced.

Bucky F. Dent
12-10-2011, 09:19 PM
damn!

Noneck
12-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Matt Kemp has a Frank Thomas beef now.

Fenway
12-10-2011, 09:31 PM
"Does crime pay?" one executive asked Saturday night. "Absolutely." (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7339760/mlb-ryan-braun-test-result-positively-bad-mlb)

guillensdisciple
12-10-2011, 09:31 PM
See, Kemp would probably be a contender for juicage. HIs numbers really went up.

I am not saying Braun is innocent, but this really can make anything skeptical.

How the hell are we supposed to take anyone seriously anymore?

Domeshot17
12-10-2011, 10:33 PM
I want to see how this all plays out. My big reasons are:

(1) As a fan, first, Braun has always been a good guy

(2) Braun's people are coming out telling everyone not to judge until this is over. I think something very funny might be going on

(3) Bud Selig mentioned years ago when speaking on the minor leagues how Ryan Braun had been tested for YEARS and never tested positive. He had been tested before at the MLB level, never positive. He is tested after, never positive. Something about it all just does not add up.

ComiskeyBrewer
12-10-2011, 11:35 PM

(2) Braun's people are coming out telling everyone not to judge until this is over. I think something very funny might be going on

(3) Bud Selig mentioned years ago when speaking on the minor leagues how Ryan Braun had been tested for YEARS and never tested positive. He had been tested before at the MLB level, never positive. He is tested after, never positive. Something about it all just does not add up.

What I've heard here is that he took a test "immediately" after the first one and it came back negative, so Braun's people think that will help get this overturned. I'm reserving judgement till this is all sorted out, but as of right now, it's hard not to be disappointed in the guy.

Fenway
12-11-2011, 12:03 AM
From the Milwaukee paper

"The truth will prevail; I really feel good about that," said the source. "It just stinks that this got out before the appeal process is finished. Initial positive tests have been overturned before, proving the player is innocent, and nobody ever knows."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/135386013.html

doublem23
12-11-2011, 12:13 AM
are we sure it's not something from the cheese? they give cows all sorts of weird, delicious chemicals these days.

tstrike2000
12-11-2011, 01:26 AM
If true, very unfortunate news.

Nellie_Fox
12-11-2011, 02:26 AM
...Braun's people are coming out telling everyone not to judge until this is over. I think something very funny might be going onThey always say that.

soxfanatlanta
12-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Although the testing is very effective, it's not perfect; I shall wait until more information is available before I make a judgement.

Wsoxmike59
12-11-2011, 09:57 AM
I still think the only way to make this stop is to allow clubs to void guaranteed contracts for players who test positive.

Jason Giambi made $100M from the Yankees on a contract based on numbers he put up while juiced. In the real world, this would constitute fraud.

The Players Association would never allow it, and ownership would be afraid to fight the battle because they've never won a battle with the Players Association.

But by God, put me on that jury and you'd have a hard time convincing me that someone who put up enormous numbers and tested positive in the same season doesn't deserve to be fired.

Palehoser, you win the thread. I agree with everything you said.

SI1020
12-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Because I once spent a night in jail, arrested for a crime I was completely innocent of, and because I'm human and like Ryan Braun, I want to wait and see if it's true.

asindc
12-11-2011, 10:27 AM

That's true, but the PR is on the owners' side with this issue, so I think they would ultimately win this battle. It's just a matter of how resolved they are to establish that disincentive.

kittle42
12-11-2011, 11:54 AM

So were a lot of the other guys. I missed the part where someone had to be an ass otherwise in life to be a PED user.

They *always* say that.

Maybe he just started?

GoGoCrede
12-11-2011, 11:56 AM

None of us have met him, so I think your first point is invalid. There are plenty of players with good PR people or who know how to say the right thing, but are secretly *******s. And anyway, I'm sure you can be a nice guy on the outside and still take PEDs.

soxfanreggie
12-11-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt while this plays out. Let them have a chance to present their evidence. If it isn't good enough, then feel free to continue slamming him.

There isn't a prize for being the first to pile on someone for something going wrong - unless you're a reporter looking to push stories. If he really did take PEDs, I agree that it casts doubts on his accomplishments and will for his entire career.

The #1 thing they I think they can do twice is take two different samples the same day. For as much $$$ as pro sports have, it can't cost them too much extra to do this. Have a second lab handle the second sample and go from there if it's needed. The #2 thing they can do is have the player get immediately tested again for a third sample if the first one fails. Thus, you would have two samples of proof if someone does test positive to say, "Hey, you have multiple positives here that were done differently..."

sullythered
12-11-2011, 12:29 PM

How about because the guy is little and he puts up huge power numbers? I don't care what they list him at, he's clearly under 6 feet tall, and kinda skinny.

SI1020
12-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Older sports fans probably don't remember this guy. Younger ones more than likely never heard of him. He was a world class swimmer who lost an Olympic gold medal in the 400 meter freestyle after a failed drug test. The year was 1972 and his story was overshadowed by Mark Spitz and of course the horrific massacre of Israeli athletes. He didn't knowingly cheat, but made an honest mistake. I hope that something like that is the case with Ryan Braun. If not, then this will have lifelong consequences for him.

http://espn.go.com/talent/danpatrick/s/2001/0202/1057642.html

guillensdisciple
12-11-2011, 12:42 PM
How about because the guy is little and he puts up huge power numbers? I don't care what they list him at, he's clearly under 6 feet tall, and kinda skinny.

He's still insanely small for someone who took steroids. I'm sorry, I've seen juiced up people before and his body type does not fit that in any way- unless he decided to be slightly stronger in which case that probably is not doing much for him anyway.

voodoochile
12-11-2011, 12:52 PM
His people say there are special circumstances for the case and that's why he will prevail on appeal...
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/28721.png&w=350&h=254
"Yeah, it was the playoffs and I wanted to hit the ball extra hard..."

spongyfungy
12-11-2011, 03:22 PM
The ESPN report said Braun tested positive for an abnormally high level of testosterone in his system and that the testosterone was synthetic.

It better be one heck of a good excuse. I won't buy tainted meat

BleacherBandit
12-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Go look at www.mlb.com (http://www.mlb.com). See anything about Braun? Anywhere?

When do you think the actual league will acknowledge this? Does the hold up concern the possible rescinding of the NL crown?

EDIT: there actually is one article on the first page, but it isn't one of the main features. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111210&content_id=26144628&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

white sox bill
12-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Been in gym biz since the 80's, seen hundreds of guys on AAS and yes Ryan sure doesn't look at all juiced. Would like to know just how high his test. levels are. Maybe under that uni he's shredded.

I'm not shocked, this will never end. May as well get used to it

12-11-2011, 04:41 PM
The test results showed double the levels of testosterone of any player to ever test positive. Certainly unusual.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/ryan-braun-initial-ped-test-results-insanely-high-nl-mvp-lawyer-insists-client-peds-article-1.990020

DumpJerry
12-11-2011, 05:43 PM
The test results showed double the levels of testosterone of any player to ever test positive. Certainly unusual.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/ryan-braun-initial-ped-test-results-insanely-high-nl-mvp-lawyer-insists-client-peds-article-1.990020
He's da man!

kittle42
12-11-2011, 06:41 PM
He's da man!

No one can question his masculinity!

Lip Man 1
12-11-2011, 06:46 PM
MLB is not commenting in any way shape or form because he is appealing the case.

I suspect they don't want to do anything that could cause any repercussions with the arbitrator.

Supposedly he immediately asked for a second test and it came back clean.

That also is unusual assuming it was conducted a short time after the first one.

Lip

g0g0
12-11-2011, 07:16 PM
AHAHAHAHA! Another one bites the dust. I hope he gets more than 50 games. :bandance:

Too bad as he is generally well-liked.

EMachine10
12-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Maybe Kramer got into the lab after hours with a lab tech to have a little fun. Hey, it happened to Giuliani, right?

soltrain21
12-11-2011, 07:34 PM
AHAHAHAHA! Another one bites the dust. I hope he gets more than 50 games. :bandance:

Too bad as he is generally well-liked.

Cubs fans are getting awfully puffy chested about this and Pujols leaving. Forgetting their team is pretty terrible for next year, too.

cheezheadsoxfan
12-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Older sports fans probably don't remember this guy. Younger ones more than likely never heard of him. He was a world class swimmer who lost an Olympic gold medal in the 400 meter freestyle after a failed drug test. The year was 1972 and his story was overshadowed by Mark Spitz and of course the horrific massacre of Israeli athletes. He didn't knowingly cheat, but made an honest mistake. I hope that something like that is the case with Ryan Braun. If not, then this will have lifelong consequences for him.

http://espn.go.com/talent/danpatrick/s/2001/0202/1057642.html

Thanks for this. You're right, I don't remember him and I followed that Olympics closely because of Spitz.

Marqhead
12-11-2011, 08:03 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/135405518.html

Not a PED, but maybe a stimulant?

g0g0
12-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Cubs fans are getting awfully puffy chested about this and Pujols leaving. Forgetting their team is pretty terrible for next year, too.

Hey, every little bit helps, and them not being active in the Central is great news. It doesn't mean I deliver the division to them. If Verlander left Detroit, I would think you would be happy too.

Lip Man 1
12-11-2011, 09:50 PM
When you're the Cubs you grasp for anything that you possible can. Hey it's worked for well over 100 years now!

:D:

Lip

white sox bill
12-12-2011, 10:49 AM
So did he do a test previously and his Testosterone levels increased abnormal levels? Or does he just have naturally high levels?

Nellie_Fox
12-13-2011, 12:54 AM
So did he do a test previously and his Testosterone levels increased abnormal levels? Or does he just have naturally high levels?They know the possible natural range of testosterone/epitestosterone ratio. His was WAY beyond the possible natural range. And they report that it was synthetic testosterone.

Johnnydogs
12-13-2011, 01:21 AM
I think Braun's people are trying to scam the public and tilt perceptions. I saw this Yahoo Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-passan_10_degrees_ryan_braun_ped_suspension_121111 ) article and, to me, it makes sense. I think he's getting that 50 game suspension and it's a shame against him and the sport. My guess is he's been doing HGH all along not steroids-- which can cause some of the sudden changes in physical stature that HGH does not. FWIW, I saw some grumbling of his PEDS use back in college on a MIL board but nobody believed it until now.

Truth is, you really have to slip-up to get caught under the terms of the current MLB testing agreement. The "scientists" have been staying one step in front of the test administrators. Things will change when MLB fully incorporates blood testing because a urine test is much easier to mask.

white sox bill
12-13-2011, 07:40 AM
GH is virtually worthless without some kind of AAS. I know that drug companies are now releasing anabolics that don't amortize meaning they keep working w/o the user having to up the dosage or go off completely in order to clean the receptors. Athletes can get around drug tests if savy enough, apprantly Braun wasn't.

Like I said its not gonna stop....

guillensdisciple
12-13-2011, 09:44 AM
GH is virtually worthless without some kind of AAS. I know that drug companies are now releasing anabolics that don't amortize meaning they keep working w/o the user having to up the dosage or go off completely in order to clean the receptors. Athletes can get around drug tests if savy enough, apprantly Braun wasn't.

Like I said its not gonna stop....

Plus isn't testing impossible considering there are so many brands of juice and hormones?

white sox bill
12-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Plus isn't testing impossible considering there are so many brands of juice and hormones?
I'm not sure how that works yes I would assume the test has to be programmed to ID certain drugs. I've judged many BB shows and clearly many athletes were "on" even in the natural shows. How they beat the test is unknown to me as thats not my department.

SI1020
12-19-2011, 12:06 PM
The latest news.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Ryan-Braun-failed-drug-test-caused-by-medication-121911

http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/19/ryan-braun-medication-baseball-steroids/#.Tu9vd0dT-qQ

Nellie_Fox
12-19-2011, 04:06 PM
B.S. These guys have been told repeatedly to check before taking anything.

Domeshot17
12-19-2011, 04:09 PM
I don't think it is B.S. yet. There have been some rumors that the medicine he was taken may have been for an STD (herpes). I would guess it would be easy to miss calling that one in to the hotline. Just have to see what it is when the truth comes out.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages/chrono/33881076

WhiteSox5187
12-19-2011, 04:18 PM
B.S. These guys have been told repeatedly to check before taking anything.

That's my immediate reaction too and I don't regard TMZ as a great place for breaking sports news. But we'll see.

Brewski
12-19-2011, 04:30 PM
It's enough to make your eyes bug out!

Hendu
12-20-2011, 12:44 AM
I don't think it is B.S. yet. There have been some rumors that the medicine he was taken may have been for an STD (herpes). I would guess it would be easy to miss calling that one in to the hotline. Just have to see what it is when the truth comes out.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages/chrono/33881076

Ouch...if this is true, imagine if he still gets the suspension for violating the letter of the law (despite not using a performance enhancer), plus his embarrassing ailment is made public. Talk about a double whammy.

ZombieRob
12-20-2011, 04:00 AM
If that is the case it isn't our business or MLB's business what the issue is specifically for. All he needs is a legit doctor explain the the type of medication he's on. The Hippa act is the best thing ever to happen as it should be private whatever condition his meds were for.

white sox bill
12-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Naa let the guy have his day in court

Hendu
12-20-2011, 08:53 AM
If that is the case it isn't our business or MLB's business what the issue is specifically for. All he needs is a legit doctor explain the the type of medication he's on. The Hippa act is the best thing ever to happen as it should be private whatever condition his meds were for.

In a perfect world, but the rumor is already out there. Either it's b.s. or someone with inside info. leaked it.

Edit" Also puts MLB in an awkward position if they overturn the ban without explaining the exact nature of the medication. Would they overturn a positive test if it was some role player instead of the MVP?

asindc
12-20-2011, 09:38 AM
In a perfect world, but the rumor is already out there. Either it's b.s. or someone with inside info. leaked it.

Edit" Also puts MLB in an awkward position if they overturn the ban without explaining the exact nature of the medication. Would they overturn a positive test if it was some role player instead of the MVP?

MLB would not be "overturning" anything. They would be making a new decision based on new facts, specifically that the circumstances surrounding the test suggest that Braun has a legitimate reason for having tested the way he did. In that regard, I can see no difference in Braun's case than that of a journeyman reliever.

soltrain21
12-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Ouch...if this is true, imagine if he still gets the suspension for violating the letter of the law (despite not using a performance enhancer), plus his embarrassing ailment is made public. Talk about a double whammy.

Yeah. That would really sting, wouldn't it?

Hiyooooo!

slavko
12-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Not without precedent. The "Stomach Ache Heard Around the World" that kept Babe Ruth out of action for a while in 1925 was really VD. Maybe that would work here.

SI1020
12-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Not without precedent. The "Stomach Ache Heard Around the World" that kept Babe Ruth out of action for a while in 1925 was really VD. Maybe that would work here. Really?

Domeshot17
12-20-2011, 11:55 AM

The MLB is in a bad spot here too. If this is true, his HIPPA rights were already violated, and if they could trace back to who, it could put a lot of doubt in players trusting the system.

SI1020
12-20-2011, 12:02 PM
If that is the case it isn't our business or MLB's business what the issue is specifically for. All he needs is a legit doctor explain the the type of medication he's on. The Hippa act is the best thing ever to happen as it should be private whatever condition his meds were for. It's not without problems. Lots of people don't know that you have to be specific about who you allow access to your records. It has caused problems when even close family members are denied information. I'm all for privacy, but as the Ryan Braun situation shows that may not always be possible. Whatever condition he might have many will now continue to speculate the worst, regardless of what is true. Celebrity isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

Hendu
12-20-2011, 12:11 PM
MLB would not be "overturning" anything. They would be making a new decision based on new facts, specifically that the circumstances surrounding the test suggest that Braun has a legitimate reason for having tested the way he did. In that regard, I can see no difference in Braun's case than that of a journeyman reliever.

Isn't "I thought it was a b-12 shot" a legitimate excuse too? These guys need to know exactly what they're putting in/on their body and, MLB can't start making exceptions. The CBA does have a therapeutic exemption, but it can't be applied for retroactively. Everything I'm reading states that Braun did not have an exemption.

Therefore, he gets suspended 50 games due to stupidity instead of using a drug to enhance his performance.

Domeshot17
12-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Isn't "I thought it was a b-12 shot" a legitimate excuse too? These guys need to know exactly what they're putting in/on their body and, MLB can't start making exceptions. The CBA does have a therapeutic exemption, but it can't be applied for retroactively. Everything I'm reading states that Braun did not have an exemption.

Therefore, he gets suspended 50 games due to stupidity instead of using a drug to enhance his performance.

Which defeats the entire purpose. The rules were put in place to keep steroids out of baseball, not to prevent players from treating Herpes.

Hendu
12-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Which defeats the entire purpose. The rules were put in place to keep steroids out of baseball, not to prevent players from treating Herpes.

But you can't go making exceptions to the rules either or everyone will find a way to get our of positive tests. I know Braun is one of the good guys, so it's easy to take his situation at face value...but what if Manny had gotten out of his suspension by paying off a doctor to come up with a legitimate excuse for his positive test(s)?

You either tested positive for a banned substance or you didn't, and you either had an exemption or you didn't. No fighting it after the fact.

ComiskeyBrewer
12-20-2011, 10:00 PM

I believe banned stimulants are only a 25 game suspension.

Domeshot17
12-20-2011, 11:12 PM
But you can't go making exceptions to the rules either or everyone will find a way to get our of positive tests. I know Braun is one of the good guys, so it's easy to take his situation at face value...but what if Manny had gotten out of his suspension by paying off a doctor to come up with a legitimate excuse for his positive test(s)?

You either tested positive for a banned substance or you didn't, and you either had an exemption or you didn't. No fighting it after the fact.

But you CAN fight it after the fact through the appeals process.

Again, we don't have all the facts, but if this ends up true, and Braun is banned 50 games, not for using a PED, but for using medication to treat an STD, then major league baseball, NOT RYAN BRAUN, has failed.

Nellie_Fox
12-21-2011, 01:20 AM
...if this ends up true, and Braun is banned 50 games, not for using a PED, but for using medication to treat an STD, then major league baseball, NOT RYAN BRAUN, has failed.No, as stated, you have to get an exemption to use any banned substance for therapeutic reasons, and you can't get the exemption retroactively. They've all had this explained to them in extensive detail. IF whatever he took was for legitimate therapeutic reasons (and I'm still skeptical about synthetic testosterone being used for an STD) he still didn't follow protocol, so HE failed. Everybody has an excuse once caught, and anybody can find an unscrupulous physician who will certify something for enough money.

Hendu
12-21-2011, 01:26 AM
But you CAN fight it after the fact through the appeals process.

Again, we don't have all the facts, but if this ends up true, and Braun is banned 50 games, not for using a PED, but for using medication to treat an STD, then major league baseball, NOT RYAN BRAUN, has failed.

Those appeals are almost impossible to win, unless there's inconsistencies in the two samples.

I disagree with you completely (if the facts as reported are accurate). He took a banned substance without permission, in violation of the CBA. If players can get off after violating the rules, then what's the point of the test? You know the saying, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

I mentioned Manny before. He had a prescription for his medication without a therapeutic exemption too. So if you think Braun shouldn't be suspended, then should Manny have gotten off?

DSpivack
12-21-2011, 01:38 AM
Those appeals are almost impossible to win, unless there's inconsistencies in the two samples.

I disagree with you completely (if the facts as reported are accurate). He took a banned substance without permission, in violation of the CBA. If players can get off after violating the rules, then what's the point of the test? You know the saying, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

I mentioned Manny before. He had a prescription for his medication without a therapeutic exemption too. So if you think Braun shouldn't be suspended, then should Manny have gotten off?

I agree. If the player is unsure what is or is not allowed by MLB, they should contact the league's office, or have a doctor or agent who is familiar with those rules. Ignorance of the law is no defense.

Nelson Foxtrot
12-21-2011, 02:05 AM
An estimated 1 in 6 Americans has Herpes, and I suspect the rate is likely much higher among MLB players. If Ryan Braun failed the drug test because of Herpes medication, wouldn't many other players have done likewise? The excuse is possible, but seems very implausible to me.

Hendu
12-21-2011, 11:19 PM
No, as stated, you have to get an exemption to use any banned substance for therapeutic reasons, and you can't get the exemption retroactively. They've all had this explained to them in extensive detail. IF whatever he took was for legitimate therapeutic reasons (and I'm still skeptical about synthetic testosterone being used for an STD) he still didn't follow protocol, so HE failed. Everybody has an excuse once caught, and anybody can find an unscrupulous physician who will certify something for enough money.

I agree with you except for the bolded part - if a doctor will prescribe a steroid eye drop to my wife when she has conjunctivitis (happened last year), they'll prescribe that stuff for almost any swelling. What I don't buy is that someone making a living from MLB, especially a star player, would be dumb enough not to make a boatload of phone calls before taking ANY medication.

manders_01
12-22-2011, 12:49 AM
I agree with you except for the bolded part - if a doctor will prescribe a steroid eye drop to my wife when she has conjunctivitis (happened last year), they'll prescribe that stuff for almost any swelling. What I don't buy is that someone making a living from MLB, especially a star player, would be dumb enough not to make a boatload of phone calls before taking ANY medication.

Or even easier, be very clear with their doctor, and subsequently their pharmacist, that they cannot take a prescription with 'X' in it. It's pretty easy to avoid certain ingredients, doctors do it all the time.

Nellie_Fox
12-22-2011, 01:05 AM
I agree with you except for the bolded part - if a doctor will prescribe a steroid eye drop to my wife when she has conjunctivitis (happened last year), they'll prescribe that stuff for almost any swelling. What I don't buy is that someone making a living from MLB, especially a star player, would be dumb enough not to make a boatload of phone calls before taking ANY medication.There's a HUGE difference between anti-inflamatory, or catabolic, steroids, and muscle-building, or anabolic, steroids. All steroids are not the same.

Zisk77
12-22-2011, 07:45 AM
There's a HUGE difference between anti-inflamatory, or catabolic, steroids, and muscle-building, or anabolic, steroids. All steroids are not the same.

Very true, for example, cholesterol is a steroid. Try avoiding that in your diet. If you don't intake any, your body will manufacture it itself.