PDA

View Full Version : Danks or Buehrle at 4/$58M?

XplodingScorbord
12-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Would you rather have signed Danks or Buehrle at the 4/$58 that Mark just got?

KMcMahon817
12-10-2011, 01:03 PM
I voted Danks, but really neither. I would happily offer Danks a five year $58M contract, however.

SI1020
12-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Even with today's insane baseball salaries Danks is not worth anything close to that. He peaked in 08 and is at best a middle of the rotation guy. On a strong staff not even that.

gobears1987
12-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Danks hasn't shown me he is worth $14.5 MM a year. He is too inconsistent.

Noneck
12-10-2011, 01:31 PM
I have seen more pitchers than not be busts with long term contracts. 58M is too much to invest in long term for a pitcher but that is with my money. With the Sox money I say get them both.

LITTLE NELL
12-10-2011, 01:49 PM
I would want both of them on my staff but not at that kind of money, I voted neither.

WhiteSox5187
12-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Danks hasn't shown me he is worth $14.5 MM a year. He is too inconsistent.

I agree but it's the market that dictates the price. Unless he gets hurt or bombs next year Danks is going to command at the very least a similar contract. And for all the talk of the Marlins "overpaying" for Buerhle, lefties who can throw 200 innings, win at least ten games and put up an ERA in the 3's don't grow on trees.

TommyGavinFloyd
12-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Danks has been getting worse and worse in games we need him. He's been going backwards since 08. Every game he pitches, Hawk mentions how he needs to keep the changeup down, next thing you know he's grooving one right down the middle to a guy like Jason Kubel. Last year Danks was my least favorite pitcher to watch. I hope we trade him ASAP.

Steelrod
12-10-2011, 05:50 PM
I voted neither! In the words of the sage to the north, pay for future performance, not past, regarding Buehrle. With the other, prove that you are something besides someone who throws from the left side. Not to mention the fact that he and his agent have been eyeing free agency for the last 4 years!

doublem23
12-10-2011, 06:02 PM
FWIW, FanGraphs "Value" measurement has Danks' performance last year, at $14.2 M, so yeah, I'd say he'd be worth such an investment.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=6329&position=P#value

Buehrle's pitched like a $15 M/year pitcher for the past 3 seasons.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=225&position=P#value

slavko
12-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Danks gets that money and has a first half like last season there'll be lynch mobs. Buehrle has had first halves from hell in the past too.

TheVulture
12-10-2011, 07:19 PM
The Sox were 19-12 when Buehrle started and 60-71 otherwise. In other words, the Sox were a good team when Buehrle pitched but a pretty awful team the rest of the time. That's why Buehrle is making the big money.

Frontman
12-10-2011, 08:46 PM
I was thinking either or; but after reading some of the comments here, you guys convinced me:

#56.

MarksBrokenFoot
12-11-2011, 02:23 AM
I voted for Danks. His run support was horrid last year and I think it took a toll on him mentally. Mark has historically been the benefactor of some great hitting. If Danks moves to a team that can hit, we will regret it for years.

Konerko05
12-11-2011, 03:04 AM
Danks' potential is worth 4/58, but not his results.

I have drafted Danks in fantasy baseball the last three years, waiting for him to finally develop in the ace type pitcher I thought he would. In reality, he hasn't made any progress over the last four years.

I like Danks alot, but at that price I wouldn't re-sign him. If he took any step forward whatsoever since his second season, I'd have no problem with it.

So I guess I'm voting neither, but if I had to chose one it would be Buehrle. Just for nostalgia and intangibles. Yes, I know meaningless to some.

asindc
12-11-2011, 09:45 AM
I voted neither because of the amount of money. If I had to choose, then Danks. There is a reason only one team offered MB more than three years.

soxfanreggie
12-11-2011, 10:13 AM
If I had Yankees/Red Sox money to spend, I'd sign MB. However, if I'm sitting with a payroll that's looking to be closer to 2010's (approx.) $100MM than last year's $128MM, it would be neither.

I think next year will be the last of Peavy, which will free up significant $$$. It would be tough to bring him back for $22MM in 2013 unless he wins the Cy Young. We'll eat the $4MM buyout and see where we are at from there.

Danks and Quentin are looking to make around $14-16MM between the two of them next year if they stick around. Since we're paring off talent, it's logical to see those as the next two guys to go.

Hopefully we'll take some of these expiring contracts and look for a value SP, future leadoff hitter, and future catcher if we can't find those future guys in the Sox system or trade for them.

kittle42
12-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Ah, yes, the return of the fans who would like the Sox to win the Fiscal Responsibility Championship. Kenny Williams and Jerry Reinsdorf salute you.

They should post the Sox players' salaries when they are hitting, so we know to cheer Morel extra hard when he's hitting that near-league-minimum homer.

Konerko05
12-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Ah, yes, the return of the fans who would like the Sox to win the Fiscal Responsibility Championship. Kenny Williams and Jerry Reinsdorf salute you.

They should post the Sox players' salaries when they are hitting, so we know to cheer Morel extra hard when he's hitting that near-league-minimum homer.

I really doubt anyone here cares about Reinsdorf's money, but the fact is that fiscal fesponsibility is a reality. When a team signs a player to a bad contract, it has an effect on every move made after that. They don't have an infinite amount of money so the smarter they are with their signings, the better shape the organization is in. I wouldn't be saying this if they were cheap and not spending money, but their 127mil last season could've been spent a lot more wisely.

And what is the near-league-minimum homer? Zero?

kittle42
12-11-2011, 12:54 PM
I really doubt anyone here cares about Reinsdorf's money, but the fact is that fiscal fesponsibility is a reality. When a team signs a player to a bad contract, it has an effect on every move made after that. They don't have an infinite amount of money so the smarter they are with their signings, the better shape the organization is in. I wouldn't be saying this if they were cheap and not spending money, but their 127mil last season could've been spent a lot more wisely.

I'm not saying toss it around, but this contract for Buehrle or Danks is pretty near market value.

doublem23
12-11-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm not saying toss it around, but this contract for Buehrle or Danks is pretty near market value.

Right, unless Danks completely falls apart this season I think any team would be happy to have a young, lefthanded pitcher like him for 4 years at $14 M/season.

DirtySox
12-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Danks.

Though he won't be getting any extension from the White Sox.

soxinem1
12-12-2011, 08:55 PM
I voted neither, and for separate reasons.

I love Buehrle, however like most veteran FA players, he is a car that is for sale for a new car price and 85,000 miles on the engine.

Danks has been very inconsistent, as many have pointed out, since the end of 2008 and hasn't really stepped it up IMHO to get to that next level.

I'm sick of hearing about the lack of runs, defense, drawing unfavorable pitching match-ups, etc. excuses for Danks. Nobody tells you to hang 0-2 change-ups in a tight game. Learn from your mistakes already.....

However..... When it was rumored that STL might be interested in Buehrle and was looking to unload Westbrook and/or Lohse, did anyone see the salaries those two had? Neither of them has ever even come close to being considered ace material or even steady contributors, and each of them has like $12 million coming for 2012.

So if I HAD to, I would give that $$$$ to Danks or Buehrle if that was what the market dictated over two marginal starters like Westbrook and Lohse.