PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle On Chicago Tribune Live!

Lip Man 1
12-10-2011, 01:13 AM
Buehrle called in and was on Chicago Tribune Live! this afternoon. The highlights:

1. Thanked not only teammates and coaches but people like security guards, ticket takers, ballpark maintenance people and Sox fans. Said his neighbors where he lived were like "a second family to Jamie and the kids." (Afterwards Gonzo said, "that's the real Mark Buehrle, simply a class guy...)

2. Said that he had no preconceived notions about Florida when he went for a visit but that after seeing the new stadium, clubhouse and area he "felt comfortable."

3. Said Ozzie being there was definitely part of the reason he signed. Knowing Ozzie and that he was a family guy who liked having kids in the clubhouse played a part in the decision.

4. Called the Sox back a few hours before they made the final decision to go to Florida. Said (and he briefly hesitated at this point as if he was thinking over how to say this) he never told the Sox they had to match anything (implying that he might have considered a 'hometown' discount) but was told that it was probably best that both sides move on. (when he said this I simply shook my head in amazement...)

5. Gail Fisher then showed her true colors by then blurting out, "before we let you go Mark I've got to ask you, I cover the Cubs and would have llllloooovvvveeeeddd to see you on the North Side, would you ever have considered signing with them?" :rolleyes: (what a ****ing idiot) Mark replied that it would have been nice to stay in Chicago but his family and a lot of friends who are Sox fans told him if he did they'd boo him every time he pitched. He said you 'never say never' but that would have been a hard decision to make. (I got the sense that the fawing Cub fan / moron was disappointed he didn't say something like, "I would have signed with them in a heartbeat, absolutely, what a wonderful place to end my career at...)

Lip

DrCrawdad
12-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Buehrle called in and was on Chicago Tribune Live! this afternoon. The highlights:

1. Thanked not only teammates and coaches but people like security guards, ticket takers, ballpark maintenance people and Sox fans. Said his neighbors where he lived were like "a second family to Jamie and the kids." (Afterwards Gonzo said, "that's the real Mark Buehrle, simply a class guy...)

2. Said that he had no preconceived notions about Florida when he went for a visit but that after seeing the new stadium, clubhouse and area he "felt comfortable."

3. Said Ozzie being there was definitely part of the reason he signed. Knowing Ozzie and that he was a family guy who liked having kids in the clubhouse played a part in the decision.

4. Called the Sox back a few hours before they made the final decision to go to Florida. Said (and he briefly hesitated at this point as if he was thinking over how to say this) he never told the Sox they had to match anything (implying that he might have considered a 'hometown' discount) but was told that it was probably best that both sides move on. (when he said this I simply shook my head in amazement...)

5. Gail Fisher then showed her true colors by then blurting out, "before we let you go Mark I've got to ask you, I cover the Cubs and would have llllloooovvvveeeeddd to see you on the North Side, would you ever have considered signing with them?" :rolleyes: (what a ****ing idiot) Mark replied that it would have been nice to stay in Chicago but his family and a lot of friends who are Sox fans told him if he did they'd boo him every time he pitched. He said you 'never say never' but that would have been a hard decision to make. (I got the sense that the fawning Cub fan / moron was disappointed he didn't say something like, "I would have signed with them in a heartbeat, absolutely, what a wonderful place to end my career at...)

Lip

I would have liked to see Buehlre stay but not if it meant matching the years he got from Florida. I don't wish ill on him at all (in fact, I hope that I'm wrong with this next part) but I doubt he'll be productive in the final couple years of that deal.

Regarding Gail Fisher, is she the female Dave Kaplan?

I suppose that Cubbie Clowns will hold on to that comment by Buehrle as further proof that he is a Cubbie hater, even though he stated he wasn't absolutely opposed to it. I wonder too if after his 12 year career with the Sox if he's grown tired of the Cubbies always being brought up to him.

Anyway, best wishes to Mark.

DSpivack
12-10-2011, 01:41 AM

5. Gail Fisher then showed her true colors by then blurting out, "before we let you go Mark I've got to ask you, I cover the Cubs and would have llllloooovvvveeeeddd to see you on the North Side, would you ever have considered signing with them?" :rolleyes: (what a ****ing idiot) Mark replied that it would have been nice to stay in Chicago but his family and a lot of friends who are Sox fans told him if he did they'd boo him every time he pitched. He said you 'never say never' but that would have been a hard decision to make. (I got the sense that the fawing Cub fan / moron was disappointed he didn't say something like, "I would have signed with them in a heartbeat, absolutely, what a wonderful place to end my career at...)

Lip

If she doesn't ask that, I assume that Kaplan would have.

Daver
12-10-2011, 01:45 AM
I would have liked to see Buehlre stay but not if it meant matching the years he got from Florida. I don't wish ill on him at all (in fact, I hope that I'm wrong with this next part) but I doubt he'll be productive in the final couple years of that deal.

He could prolly pitch till he was fifty if he really wanted too, without a marked difference in production, junkball lefties with good mechanics just keep going and going.

WhiteSox5187
12-10-2011, 01:54 AM

Lip

This really hurts. It certainly seems like Mark wanted to stay, sadly Kenny could either not afford to keep him or didn't want him. I am shocked that Jerry didn't intervene here.

peelwonder
12-10-2011, 01:56 AM
This really hurts. It certainly seems like Mark wanted to stay, sadly Kenny could either not afford to keep him or didn't want him. I am shocked that Jerry didn't intervene here.

This is my point about Kenny...his bad decisions over the past few years now cost a fan favorite.

cards press box
12-10-2011, 02:19 AM
Regarding Gail Fisher, is she the female Dave Kaplan?

I think so. I am glad that Mark Buerhle politely told her that he wasn't drinking the Cubbie Kool-Ade.

He could prolly pitch till he was fifty if he really wanted too, without a marked difference in production, junkball lefties with good mechanics just keep going and going.

I hope Buerhle pitches great with the Marlins and that they win the NL pennant. Having said that, I don't know how long Buerhle can be a top of the rotation starter. I would guess around four or five more seasons. In his approach and stuff, Buerhle always seemed more similar to a Jimmy Key than a Jamie Moyer. Key's career numbers are similar to Buerhle's and he pitched until he was 37. Buerhle could possibly do that but I'm not sure how effective he would be.

Boondock Saint
12-10-2011, 02:25 AM
This is my point about Kenny...his bad decisions over the past few years now cost a fan favorite.

Damn him for trying to build a winner! Damn him to hell!

TDog
12-10-2011, 03:55 AM
4. Called the Sox back a few hours before they made the final decision to go to Florida. Said (and he briefly hesitated at this point as if he was thinking over how to say this) he never told the Sox they had to match anything (implying that he might have considered a 'hometown' discount) but was told that it was probably best that both sides move on. (when he said this I simply shook my head in amazement...) ...

What is so amazing about that? That Sox couldn't have come close to matching the offer. Both sides were likely aware of how high the Sox could afford to go, considering the huge investment the team has made on players with big longterm contracts to please fans in the last couple of years. If they hadn't signed Dunn last year, things likely would have been much different.

It is interesting to read of nice things Buehrle said about Guillen, though.

kufram
12-10-2011, 04:12 AM
He's gone now so as a fan I want to show the same class he has and let him go. Also, it should be accepted that one of the reasons he chose Florida was because he likes to be around Ozzie. Tough pill for some to swallow but he said it himself.

gobears1987
12-10-2011, 05:42 AM
He's gone now so as a fan I want to show the same class he has and let him go. Also, it should be accepted that one of the reasons he chose Florida was because he likes to be around Ozzie. Tough pill for some to swallow but he said it himself.

But, but that flies in the face of everything the hate Ozzie crowd has been saying!

LITTLE NELL
12-10-2011, 06:09 AM
As far as the Sox go; the only reasoning of not signing Mark is that they are going to make a determined effort to sign Danks.

kufram
12-10-2011, 08:21 AM
In my opinion there was only one reason for the White Sox not to sign Mark Buehrle. He was able to get too many years and too much money elsewhere at this stage of his career. The right decision was made by both parties.

I hate to lose him but, sadly, that is baseball today.

DumpJerry
12-10-2011, 08:25 AM
It's true that Gail Fisher is a Cub tool, however, Chuck Garfein is all ours. I know his cousin he tells me Chuck is a huge Sox fan.

I simply ignore Fisher anytime she opens her mouth. She could be reporting a hard news story from Europe and somehow work the Cubs into the story.

dickallen15
12-10-2011, 08:31 AM
It's true that Gail Fisher is a Cub tool, however, Chuck Garfein is all ours. I know his cousin he tells me Chuck is a huge Sox fan.

I simply ignore Fisher anytime she opens her mouth. She could be reporting a hard news story from Europe and somehow work the Cubs into the story.
Or the Illini.

sox1970
12-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Video...

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-talk/post/Did-Buehrle-ever-consider-the-Cubs?blockID=609404&feedID=621

veeter
12-10-2011, 09:10 AM
But, but that flies in the face of everything the hate Ozzie crowd has been saying!Well, he didn't really say he likes being around Ozzie. Ozzie is a familiar face and he lets kids run around the clubhouse. The biggest complaint about Ozzie wasn't how he treated his players, although there is some debate about that too. Mark's comments don't "fly in the face" of Ozzie haters at all. My extremely long list of why I can't stand Ozzie anymore are separate from that. Because Buehrle likes Ozzie doesn't take away all the classless and ignorant behavior Ozzie displayed for thr last three or four seasons.

TomBradley72
12-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Damn him for trying to build a winner! Damn him to hell!

Trying is great- that's the job of a major league GM.

Completely failing and screwing up the franchise for years- not so much.

Golden Sox
12-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Just think, the money wasted on Adam Dunn, Alex Rios and Jake Peavy could of been used to Keep Mark Buehrle. Is there anybody who would rather have Dunn, Rios or Peavy instead of Buehrle?

#1swisher
12-10-2011, 10:09 AM

Padilla
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7337362/chicago-white-sox-chairman-jerry-reinsdorf-says-team-ok-mark-buehrle

JR: "He gave us a chance to keep him, he just doesn't fit into our plans. The SOX were thinking in the range of 3 years, $30 million".

kufram
12-10-2011, 10:10 AM
I don't mean to open up the whole Ozzie debate again because polarized opinions are never likely to alter. But, in my experience, totally class people who carry themselves with the dignity that MB always has find it easy to avoid crass, classless people and certainly don't let them close to their children. In the least they find it easy to avoid saying anything whatsoever about someone they find distasteful. That's not to say I don't think it was time for Ozzie to move on.

I think MB is smart enough not to choose a team with a manager that he can't trust. He certainly was not short of choices.

SI1020
12-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Well, he didn't really say he likes being around Ozzie. Ozzie is a familiar face and he lets kids run around the clubhouse. The biggest complaint about Ozzie wasn't how he treated his players, although there is some debate about that too. Mark's comments don't "fly in the face" of Ozzie haters at all. My extremely long list of why I can't stand Ozzie anymore are separate from that. Because Buehrle likes Ozzie doesn't take away all the classless and ignorant behavior Ozzie displayed for thr last three or four seasons. I agree. I would like to add that although I wanted Ozzie gone for a long time (which means I'm a hater?) I never for a minute thought that he was unpopular across the board with his players. It appeared to me that more than a few of them were comfortable with him, particularly veteran players. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Ozzie has some success in Miami. He is much more temperamentally suited to NL style ball. Ozzie is a complex and sensitive man. The dust up with the jerk at the Sun Times was the beginning of the end for him I think. I also believe that the Guillen clan vs KW feud had Hatfield Vs McCoy intensity, thankfully without real bloodshed. Now that Ozzie is no longer in the picture it becomes painfully obvious how deeply into the ground KW has driven this franchise.

forrestg
12-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Buehrle will fluorish in a tough national league division. How many times have american league opponents seen MB. MB will have the benefit of a strong run producing marlins lineup. I would bet he will see his first 20 win season with the Marlins soon something that has elude him while a member of our Whitesox.

Brian26
12-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Don't make any mistake about it. Buehrle signed with the Marlins because they offered the fourth year at 14.5 million.

Knowing Ozzie will allow his kids in the Clubhouse was a nice touch, but probably had very little to do with the decision.

jdm2662
12-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Don't make any mistake about it. Buehrle signed with the Marlins because they offered the fourth year at 14.5 million.

Knowing Ozzie will allow his kids in the Clubhouse was a nice touch, but probably had very little to do with the decision.

Yes, this was revealed on AM 1000. The Marlins were the only team to give him the fourth year. Don't sell free agents short. The majority of them go where the money is.

doublem23
12-10-2011, 10:55 AM
It is interesting to read of nice things Buehrle said about Guillen, though.

I guess, thought it'd be pretty shocking if he said anything else. Guy just signed a 4-year-deal with his team, does anyone think he'd have said anything remotely controversial?

Anyways, as I noted in another thread, just because Ozzie kept one guy in his pocket doesn't mean it wasn't time for him to move on to new things. Hope Ozzeroo and Mark have a good time in Florida but this Sox fan is ready to open the post-Ozzie era.

TaylorStSox
12-10-2011, 11:01 AM
MB's decision doesn't outweigh years of evidence of Ozzie acting classless.

Lip Man 1
12-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Dump:

True but Garfein at least is professional enough not to show it.

In fact a few days ago at the winter meetings, Mark Schnowski (sorry about the spelling) referred to him as "being a Sox fan..." when he tossed to him in Dallas and Garfein got pissed.

Before he said anything about what went on, he said to the camera on air, "I'm not a Sox fan..." (now he is, I've sat next to him in the press box) but he was upset that a colleague would throw that out over the air verbally.

Lip

CLUBHOUSE KID
12-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Just think, the money wasted on Adam Dunn, Alex Rios and Jake Peavy could of been used to Keep Mark Buehrle. Is there anybody who would rather have Dunn, Rios or Peavy instead of Buehrle?

Yes, if Peavy would stay healthy, Dunn hit like he was in Cincy, and Rios was just a bit better.

With that said, I am very sad that MB will not return.

JB98
12-10-2011, 01:24 PM
I guess, thought it'd be pretty shocking if he said anything else. Guy just signed a 4-year-deal with his team, does anyone think he'd have said anything remotely controversial?

Anyways, as I noted in another thread, just because Ozzie kept one guy in his pocket doesn't mean it wasn't time for him to move on to new things. Hope Ozzeroo and Mark have a good time in Florida but this Sox fan is ready to open the post-Ozzie era.

I agree. I'm disappointed Buehrle is gone because, well, I like players who produce for my favorite team. Ozzie, OTOH, it was time for a change -- for both sides.

Even if the Marlins win the next five World Series, I will still believe Ozzie's departure was the right thing for the Sox organization.

JB98
12-10-2011, 01:25 PM

I think we're all forgetting the real issue at hand here: What is Kaplan going to do with his Cubbie jersey with No. 5 and Pujols on the back? What about his Cubbie jersey with No. 56 and Buehrle on the back?

ChiSoxGal85
12-10-2011, 01:52 PM
I understand how Mark could go play for Ozzie. I had a situation in which I went to work for a manager that had been fired for various reasons from my previous employer. I had had no problems with him, so I decided to chance it even though the people I worked with all thought I was crazy; they thought he was awful. It was a good decision for me and I never had any problems with him.

Mark is easygoing, knows how to do his job, and he does it with minimal fuss. He can work with anyone as his manager. All the manager needs to do is give him the ball every 5 starts.

That said, I'm with WhiteSox5187...still can't believe that JR didn't intervene and at least try to get Mark back.

TommyJohn
12-10-2011, 01:59 PM
I think we're all forgetting the real issue at hand here: What is Kaplan going to do with his Cubbie jersey with No. 5 and Pujols on the back? What about his Cubbie jersey with No. 56 and Buehrle on the back?

He'll just put them away and come up with a Fielder Cubs jersey or a Danks Cubs jersey or whatever else he can to rile people up and make them talk about him, because that's what guys like him do.

Red Barchetta
12-10-2011, 02:20 PM

I just find it funny how some Cub fans and Cub-loving media simply can't understand why sought-after free agents like Buehrle and Pujols aren't lining up outside Wrigley Field with their agents and a pen in hand (akd Andre Dawson) wanting to finish their careers in the shrine of all things baseball and with an organization that has such a rich history of winning. :rolleyes:

LongLiveFisk
12-10-2011, 02:57 PM

I know a perfect place he can stick them.

TDog
12-10-2011, 03:17 PM

I have no problem with broadcast sports people cheering for local sports teams. They are supposed to do that. They aren't journalists, and even if they were, sports doesn't have the standards or ethics of news (although there are institutions that will fire reporters for getting autographs).

However, I think it is wrong for a local sports broadcast personality to cheer for a local sports team in a situation where it is directly cheering against another local sports team, which is effectively what the Buehrle-Cubs stuff does.

cheezheadsoxfan
12-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Video...

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-talk/post/Did-Buehrle-ever-consider-the-Cubs?blockID=609404&feedID=621

Clicked on the link and as soon as I saw the headline had to close it. I have
mellowed over the years on the whole rivalry thing, but damn, sometimes:puking::puking:

Frontman
12-10-2011, 09:42 PM

Every team's got them; but the Cubs have about a dozen mouth breathers in this town who can't stop forcing the Cubs into every conversation.

I do say that it was a decent question. The Sox/Cubs rivalry is something that has been covered ad nauseum; obviously, but with two teams in town?

You'd ask a player who left one team if he ever considered the other.

Frontman
12-10-2011, 09:44 PM

Cut them up as rags and use them to polish his bald head with!

And before anyone cries foul; those who have seen me know I am just about as bald as Kaplan. I just don't get mine spray tanned and then Turtle Waxed to make it shiny!!!! :)

DumpJerry
12-10-2011, 10:50 PM
They will be put to good use when both players tell their respective teams that they will waive their NTCs and beg, BEG, to be traded to the Cubs.

MARTINMVP
12-11-2011, 01:13 AM
I think Ozzie is a good manager, though he does have his obvious shortcomings. I would have liked Ozzie to have stayed, but the relationship with him and the Sox organization was obviously broken. It was time for him to leave.

As angry as I have been at Ozzie and would have assumed that many players were probably fed up with the antics surrounding him, I think it says a lot that Buehrle was willing to follow him to Florida. Maybe his antics weren't as bad in the clubhouse as we thought?

Yeah... every one typically follows the big money, but I also suspect that if Ozzie was as bad as a lot of us thought, Buehrle would likely opt to not play for him again, despite the big money.

Just my unqualified opinion.

Frontman
12-11-2011, 10:11 AM
I think Ozzie is a good manager, though he does have his obvious shortcomings. I would have liked Ozzie to have stayed, but the relationship with him and the Sox organization was obviously broken. It was time for him to leave.

As angry as I have been at Ozzie and would have assumed that many players were probably fed up with the antics surrounding him, I think it says a lot that Buehrle was willing to follow him to Florida. Maybe his antics weren't as bad in the clubhouse as we thought?

Yeah... every one typically follows the big money, but I also suspect that if Ozzie was as bad as a lot of us thought, Buehrle would likely opt to not play for him again, despite the big money.

Just my unqualified opinion.

I'm beginning to think Ozzie annoyed the players who were loyal to Kenny and Kenny himself, obviously. Then there are those players who were either loyal to Ozzie, or else didn't care what he did and would play the game either way.

doublem23
12-11-2011, 10:41 AM
I'm beginning to think Ozzie annoyed the players who were loyal to Kenny and Kenny himself, obviously. Then there are those players who were either loyal to Ozzie, or else didn't care what he did and would play the game either way.

I would assume the Ozzie/Kenny thing just annoyed all of the players who were there to just play baseball and not office politics.

Red Barchetta
12-11-2011, 10:43 AM

I think Buerhle fits that mold. He is very even-keeled and had an almost too-relaxed approach. We know he is a competitor, however I think with his personality he can pretty much blend in anywhere.

Frontman
12-11-2011, 11:10 AM
I would assume the Ozzie/Kenny thing just annoyed all of the players who were there to just play baseball and not office politics.

True, and would be annoyed/distracted no matter who was causing the trouble/tension/conflict.

Konerko05
12-11-2011, 01:03 PM

Not to mention, the split it caused in the clubhouse between the coaching staff. If your coaching staff isn't working 100% together to win, it's going to cause an outcome on in game decisions while creating a very strange and tense clubhouse. It was obvious by watching the team play.

Frontman
12-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Not to mention, the split it caused in the clubhouse between the coaching staff. If your coaching staff isn't working 100% together to win, it's going to cause an outcome on in game decisions while creating a very strange and tense clubhouse. It was obvious by watching the team play.

That was obvious for a few seasons. The stuff with Walker/Ozzie especially was troubling.

MARTINMVP
12-11-2011, 07:55 PM
I almost expect more of the same for Ozzie in Miami. Maybe not in year one, but probably after the second or third year. That owner his hot headed, and Ozzie is hot headed. Can't help but wonder how long they will be able to get along.

Thankfully, that isn't OUR problem.

SI1020
12-11-2011, 08:22 PM
I almost expect more of the same for Ozzie in Miami. Maybe not in year one, but probably after the second or third year. That owner his hot headed, and Ozzie is hot headed. Can't help but wonder how long they will be able to get along.

Thankfully, that isn't OUR problem. I have wondered about that too. It does not appear to be a match made in heaven.

Lip Man 1
12-11-2011, 09:49 PM
I would be surprised if Ozzie lasted his contract to be honest.

Recently read a story by Tim Dahlberg of the AP questioning Miami's moves and wondering when the 'newness' of the ballpark wears off in a market that doesn't really support baseball, in a division that has the Phillies and Braves, if they are going to be able to 'pay the freight' down the line for what they are doing now.

He talked about a new park not always being the answer and brought up cities like Pittsburgh and the Mets.

Lip

doublem23
12-11-2011, 10:13 PM

I have wondered about that too. It does not appear to be a match made in heaven.

Things will be OK as long as they win. I know everyone likes to point to the Joe Girardi situation, but remember the Marlins only won 78 games in 2006 (which is a worse record than Ozzie's 2011 White Sox posted). If Ozzie can deliver the goods he did here in 2005 then I'm sure they'll get along just peachy. If it's the Ozzie we've seen since 2009 then yeah, fireworks over South Florida for sure.

Brian26
12-11-2011, 10:15 PM
I know everyone likes to point to the Joe Girardi situation, but remember the Marlins only won 78 games in 2006 (which is a worse record than Ozzie's 2011 White Sox posted).

I had to do a double-take because I completely forgot Girardi managed in Florida. That feels like 50 years ago.

doublem23
12-11-2011, 10:40 PM
I had to do a double-take because I completely forgot Girardi managed in Florida. That feels like 50 years ago.

'06... Man those were good times.

Frontman
12-13-2011, 03:24 PM

Yep, on all accounts. Ozzie is his own worst enemy; and given that his boss now is just as likely to throw down verbally as he is?

I give it two seasons before one of the Guillen kids cost Ozzie his job.