PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else think that Dunn will bounce back and have a good season?

Danielgosox38
12-08-2011, 01:17 PM
I think that he will. Maybe I am just being overly optomistic, but I have faith that he can do it.

Moses_Scurry
12-08-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm mentally prepared for him to suck again. The whole "reduced expectations and pleasant surprise if wrong" thing.

soxfanatlanta
12-08-2011, 01:28 PM
It cannot get worse, right? If he performs like last year, I could see him riding the bench more. Or is that wishful thinking?

At any rate, factor in last year and his career numbers are not that impressive at this point:

.243/.374/.503

Saracen
12-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Even at his best, he's Dave Kingman. I dislike this kind of player, always have. Expecting more complete suck.

Madvora
12-08-2011, 01:32 PM
I don't think he could possibly be as bad, but I can't see him being "good" either.

soxfanatlanta
12-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Even at his best, he's Dave Kingman. I dislike this kind of player, always have. Expecting more complete suck.

At least Kingman had some semi-entertaining run ins with the media.

KMcMahon817
12-08-2011, 01:43 PM
I think he'll have a nice rebound. .220/30/80

If he doesn't hit in the April, I hope Robin has a very short leash. I could not imagine watching him embarrass himself like last season for another entire year.

Golden Sox
12-08-2011, 01:44 PM
I hope Dunn gets off to a halfway decent start. Hopefully the White Sox will be able to trade him then. Realistically I'm expecting the worse from him. I feel that Dunn is done.

Max Power
12-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Considering he put up the worst season by a full time player in decades I would hope he couldn't be any worse. I have little hope he'll have a good season, but I would think he'll improve enough to be just bad.

sox1970
12-08-2011, 01:53 PM
I think he may bounce right back to 35 homers and 90 rbis. Could happen.

If there was ever a time spring training matters, it would be with Dunn.

If his March is more of the same, they may have a tough decision to make.

LITTLE NELL
12-08-2011, 02:07 PM
I think he may bounce right back to 35 homers and 90 rbis. Could happen.

If there was ever a time spring training matters, it would be with Dunn.

If his March is more of the same, they may have a tough decision to make.

I don't know what kind of decision they would make with him, would they release him and eat the remaining years on his contract? I would hope if he stinks up the place again that he would have the class to hang em up.
Another note, Robin has to get these guys ready in spring training, not only Dunn, something that Ozzie didn't do the last few years.We just can't afford another horrible start. If the roster stays the same, the talent is there to contend.

peelwonder
12-08-2011, 02:10 PM

If he doesn't hit in the April, I hope Robin has a very short leash. I could not imagine watching him embarrass himself like last season for another entire year.

.220 Is a nice rebound?

I guess when you hit .160 it's considered a rebound.

GoGoCrede
12-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Well, he couldn't get any worse...right? So yes.

Domeshot17
12-08-2011, 02:21 PM
I think he will respond very well to Ventura, .245-39-118

That said, with a good half a season, he will almost surely be dealt in July

Goose
12-08-2011, 02:22 PM

I don't know...I think having him contend for worst-player-ever again this year would make the Sox so much more interesting to watch. Otherwise, what's the point? This team is going nowhere as it is.

Noneck
12-08-2011, 02:25 PM
A better year? Even if he goes blind in the off season, he wont be much worse than last year.

Dick Allen
12-08-2011, 02:27 PM
If he goes through another season like last year, cut his ass loose by July. I don't care how much $ he's owed, get him the hell out of my sight.

KMcMahon817
12-08-2011, 02:34 PM
.220 Is a nice rebound?

I guess when you hit .160 it's considered a rebound.

For him, yes. I was all for the Dunn signing last year, but I didn't expect him to hit over .230.

If he hits 30 home runs and drives in 80-90 runs, every single SOX fan should be thrilled.

tstrike2000
12-08-2011, 02:35 PM
I think he'll have a rebound season .235 35 95 100 walks .375 OBP.

doublem23
12-08-2011, 02:50 PM

Yeah except Kingman in 16 seasons hit 30+ HR 7 times. Dunn in his 10 seasons prior to last year hit 40+ HR 5 times. Kingman's OBP for his career was .302. Dunn's OBP was .381.

Saracen
12-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Yeah except Kingman in 16 seasons hit 30+ HR 7 times. Dunn in his 10 seasons prior to last year hit 40+ HR 5 times. Kingman's OBP for his career was .302. Dunn's OBP was .381.
And Kingman never struck out more than 156 times in a season. Dunn has done it 9 times in his 10 year career. Kingman has a .236 career average, Dunn, .243. I think it's a fair comparison. Of course home run numbers were inflated in the early 2000's.

doublem23
12-08-2011, 03:04 PM
And Kingman never struck out more than 156 times in a season. Dunn has done it 9 times in his 10 year career. Kingman has a .236 career average, Dunn, .243. I think it's a fair comparison. Of course home run numbers were inflated in the early 2000's.

It's really not, when you look at the league adjusted ratio stats (OPS+, for example) Dunn is clearly in another class than Kingman and that's even including last year's disaster. Plus, for all his strikeouts, Dunn still averaged less Outs Created/162 G than Kingman for his career.

34rancher
12-08-2011, 03:25 PM
It's really not, when you look at the league adjusted ratio stats (OPS+, for example) Dunn is clearly in another class than Kingman and that's even including last year's disaster. Plus, for all his strikeouts, Dunn still averaged less Outs Created/162 G than Kingman for his career.

It's not even fair to compare the two. Kingman did something at least 4 times that Adam Dunn has never done. He played on a team with a winning record. The curse of Dunn will continue for at least 3 more years of sucksville.....

WORST SIGNING EVER. I'd take 5 Jaime Navarro's over 1 Dunn...

hi im skot
12-08-2011, 03:28 PM
It's not even fair to compare the two. Kingman did something at least 4 times that Adam Dunn has never done. He played on a team with a winning record. The curse of Dunn will continue for at least 3 more years of sucksville.....

This post is hilarious for multiple reasons.

Lip Man 1
12-08-2011, 03:48 PM
How can it be worse?

Lip

SCCWS
12-08-2011, 04:02 PM
How can it be worse?

Lip

He is on the DL all year.

GoGoCrede
12-08-2011, 04:03 PM

I hope to be far, far away from the internet's reaction to that one, if it did happen.

SI1020
12-08-2011, 04:10 PM
If he goes through another season like last year, cut his ass loose by July. I don't care how much $ he's owed, get him the hell out of my sight. I want him and Rios gone five minutes ago.

Domeshot17
12-08-2011, 04:21 PM
I hope to be far, far away from the internet's reaction to that one, if it did happen.

Why, People still lump Peavy in with Dunn and Rios with blame despite the fact he had the freakest injury in mlb history.

amsteel
12-08-2011, 04:29 PM
If he doesn't hit in the first week or two, he won't be able to recover mentally.

WhiteSox5187
12-08-2011, 04:34 PM
I see him hitting 30 HRs with 90 RBIs and a .220 batting average. Statistically he cannot do any worse, can he?

Rikirk
12-08-2011, 05:18 PM
You'ld think the pain of embarrassment would force him to strive to be better this season. I dont know if it will happen...but Id like to see it happen. If anyone can crush a baseball...this guy can, lets just hope he can do it consistantly.

DumpJerry
12-08-2011, 05:56 PM
He doesn't have a second appendix, does he? Good. He'll be back to Opening Day, 2011 form.

TomBradley72
12-08-2011, 06:05 PM
I think he probably will return to career norms- I'm just not thrilled with a low .200's batting average w/RISP and low .200's vs.lefties (career norms prior to 2011)- I think the most discouraging thing about Dunn isn't his horrible 2011- but what you DO get with his career norms. He's facing higher quality pitching in the AL and he's a little older than his NL days- so there may be some decline from his career stats.

A DH who doesn't hit well w/RISP or vs. Lefties is not worth $14M/year for 4 years- the DH role is a great landing place for the aging position player who can't play the field anymore or the great hitting prospect who just can't play the field- I'm not a big fan of burning a ton of payroll for the DH role- save that to fill holes "up the middle" or on the pitching staff.

KMcMahon817
12-08-2011, 06:20 PM
I think he probably will return to career norms- I'm just not thrilled with a low .200's batting average w/RISP and low .200's vs.lefties (career norms prior to 2011)- I think the most discouraging thing about Dunn isn't his horrible 2011- but what you DO get with his career norms. He's facing higher quality pitching in the AL and he's a little older than his NL days- so there may be some decline from his career stats.

A DH who doesn't hit well w/RISP or vs. Lefties is not worth $14M/year for 4 years- the DH role is a great landing place for the aging position player who can't play the field anymore or the great hitting prospect who just can't play the field- I'm not a big fan of burning a ton of payroll for the DH role- save that to fill holes "up the middle" or on the pitching staff.

A lot of players get paid more than they are worth. From reading this board, you'd think the White Sox are the only team in the league that has some bad contracts. No, most teams do.

Just in the past 2 days several players were given contracts that are more "than they are worth". It's part of baseball.

slavko
12-08-2011, 07:30 PM
He doesn't have a second appendix, does he? Good. He'll be back to Opening Day, 2011 form.

This year it'll be a hernia transplant by Tax Day. :D:

Frater Perdurabo
12-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Yes, I think he will have a typical Dunn-like season. I also predict Ventura will help the cause by limiting Dunn's plate appearances v. LHP.

Crooked Number
12-08-2011, 09:45 PM

:o:

That is not a very good endorsement!

Dunn's season last year helped me put the game of baseball in perspective. Meaning, while the game is heavily dependent upon statistics, there are sometimes anomalies. There is no such thing...as a sure thing. Stats be damned. Dunn proved that last year. Is it possible that Albert Pujols may have a huge down year? What if he only hits .270/25/85? For him that would be a disaster.

Now, the question here, which will be answered when April rolls around, is if this was an anomaly. I am in the camp that it was. A professional, in whatever he or she does, must have the mental strength to forget about last season. Athletes must have a short memory. If Dunn has the strength to put it behind him, and realize that he has averaged close to 40 and 100 basically since his career started, well, I think we will see a resurgence.

With the Sox bleak, meager outlook for 2012 - Dunn will be the focal point in my opinion. I am really, really interested to see how he responds. I refuse to the believe a athlete of his talent can have such a staggering drop off out of the blue. Unless it comes out later he has some mysterious condition that developed when he came here...see Koch, Billy. That guy went from throwing 101mph with Oakland, to barely hitting 94 with us. This will be a huge reason why I will be tuning in next year. I want to see Adam Dunn be Adam Dunn.

guillensdisciple
12-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Of course. Historically plays well in low pressure situations.

StillMissOzzie
12-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Since a technicality on plate appearances kept Dunn from officially the worse season EVER in MLB history, he's got nowhere to go but up. And besides, there is not much else to look forward to at this juncture.

SMO
:o:

soxfanreggie
12-08-2011, 10:37 PM
If he does, it will be a pleasant surprise over what I think the season will go like. I'm just waiting for a trade of Danks, Quentin, or both.

TaylorStSox
12-08-2011, 10:37 PM
I think there's something physically wrong with Dunn. His inability to make contact is insane. Its not that he's missing pitches. He's missing them by more than a foot. I've never seen so many futile at bats.

Rios is a more interesting case. He made contact, but was both unable to drive the ball and incredibly unlucky. He's more of a candidate for a rebound. Working with a new hitting coach might do him wonders.

If they both continue to suck, cut em both. Send a message.

soxnut1018
12-08-2011, 10:48 PM

That's one way to guarantee a better WAR than he had in 2011.

cards press box
12-09-2011, 02:03 AM
I think he will respond very well to Ventura, .245-39-118

That said, with a good half a season, he will almost surely be dealt in July

I agree with one caveat: if Dunn has a good first half, the Sox may be in the race by July. In that event, the Sox might hold onto him.

Yes, I think he will have a typical Dunn-like season. I also predict Ventura will help the cause by limiting Dunn's plate appearances v. LHP.

If the Sox have TCQ and Viciedo on the roster next April, then I could certainly see Ventura limiting Dunn's at bats against some lefties.

PeteWard
12-09-2011, 02:24 AM
At least Kingman had some semi-entertaining run ins with the media.

His fielding was pretty entertaining, too. I remember the time he tripped over the bullpen mound on the the right field line. Pure poetry (if you are a fan of the agility of Herman Munster).

balke
12-09-2011, 06:54 AM
I don't really care. He needed to be good last year - now I'm just waiting for his contract to expire and to see what young talent the Sox can add the next 5 years.

TheVulture
12-09-2011, 08:57 PM
I find it funny people are trying to argue Dunn hasn't always been a bad baseball player. He obviously can't hit when he's pitched to. He has had enough power for pitchers to avoid pitching to him in the crap lineups he has been a part of his entire career, that's the only reason he has been passable. He can't play defense and he has always struck out 30-35% of the time while managing a basehit 15-18% of the times he came to the plate. Playing on a team that has the past 20 years usually had a multitude of good hitters in a division where the pitchers pitch, it was inevitable he would fail. Even so, it was surprising he failed at such an epic level, but bottom line is he's just not good. Ventura's talking about him having to play the field in order to hit, if that's the case I don't think anyone should be happy if he hits 30 homeruns when we've got that inept a fielder who still doesn't hit much.

Vernam
12-09-2011, 09:28 PM
It cannot get worse, right? If he performs like last year, I could see him riding the bench more. Or is that wishful thinking?

Oh, it can always get worse. And since someone was willing to give him at-bats when the 2011 team was ostensibly in contention until late August, I can totally see him in the lineup come what may in 2012. If they're somehow in contention at that same point next season, it can only mean Dunn is having a monster year, in which case our discussion will be moot. :cool:

But if somehow -- and I sure can't imagine how -- they're in contention late in August despite another **** season by Dunn, then Ventura damn sure will bench his sorry ass instead of sending him up to pinch hit in the 9th inning of a make-or-break game against a prime division rival.

Vernam

Whitesox029
12-10-2011, 02:37 PM
2011 was a failure of epic proportions. If next year is like last year for Dunn, I honestly wouldn't blame the Sox if they traded him and offered to pay his full salary just to get him out of our sight. I also think his career is basically over if he doesn't bounce back. If a whole offseason doesn't help, then nothing will. That said, I don't think it's very likely that he'll be quite so terrible. I'm not expecting 40 HR again, but I'm certainly expecting more than 11.

tstrike2000
12-10-2011, 03:55 PM

I'm still hanging on to the hope he'll have an artificial appendix put in and that will make him start hitting again.

TommyGavinFloyd
12-10-2011, 04:11 PM
I can't count the number of times this year that I thought "Well, he will turn it around soon, he has too, right?". Whenever he hit a double I thought, "Hey, maybe this is it!". Even when it was obvious he was killing us, I'd see him in the lineup and think "Well, maybe today is the day". It never happened.

I would not be surprised if this year he played 162 games and went 0/4 with 4 strikeouts in each of them.

TDog
12-10-2011, 05:13 PM
I find it funny people are trying to argue Dunn hasn't always been a bad baseball player. He obviously can't hit when he's pitched to. He has had enough power for pitchers to avoid pitching to him in the crap lineups he has been a part of his entire career, that's the only reason he has been passable. He can't play defense and he has always struck out 30-35% of the time while managing a basehit 15-18% of the times he came to the plate. Playing on a team that has the past 20 years usually had a multitude of good hitters in a division where the pitchers pitch, it was inevitable he would fail. Even so, it was surprising he failed at such an epic level, but bottom line is he's just not good. Ventura's talking about him having to play the field in order to hit, if that's the case I don't think anyone should be happy if he hits 30 homeruns when we've got that inept a fielder who still doesn't hit much.

This matches up pretty well with my argument against trading for Dunn at the deadline a couple of years ago when some here were advocating such a thing. I have never believed he was a very good hitter and I think his epic failure was entirely predictable. There are people who believe batting average doesn't mean anything, that on-base percentage means everything, but Dunn supports the argument I made two or three years ago, that resulted in my being personally attacked, that if you are batting less than .240, it really doesn't matter what your on-base percentage is. People complained (last April when they believed Dunn would be some kind of an offensive monster) when Guillen sacrificed in front of Dunn because it meant the pitcher would pitch around him. The reality is, being pitched around has always been the best part of his game. If he walked so much because he had a great eye for the strike zone, he wouldn't be called out so much.

I am hoping that last season was a perfect storm for Dunn. Throughout his career, he has been praised and rewarded despite striking out an obscene amount of the time, despite not hitting for a very good batting average. He signs a big contract. He doesn't work hard enough to stay in shape in the offseason. He has emergency surgery in April and doesn't go on the DL. He has to adjust to pitchers he doesn't know, and it doesn't take long for pitchers not to be very afraid of him.

I am hoping Dunn uses last season as a wake-up call, to get serious about cutting down his strikeouts, about making contact. The days are gone when he is going to be forgiven for not being able to hit a baseball of often. It's not about trying to break Joe Borchards's record for the longest White Sox home run at U.S. Cellular Field. It's about hitting the ball with frequency.

I have to feel that way because Dunn isn't going anywhere. Unless MLB expands the rosters or the White Sox carry fewer pitchers, he will have to play. Early last year, I told a friend that I would rather see Mark Buehrle hit than Adam Dunn. This year that isn't even on the table.

voodoochile
12-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Yeah, count me in for expecting a solid year from Dunn. (I know that's going to come as a huge shock to everyone here.)

russ99
12-10-2011, 06:58 PM

LOL. Especially a DH who never wanted to DH.

I think he'll bounce back, but the bouncing back will be in HRs and OBP, especially against righthanders.

But will this fanbase be OK with a 30+ HR hitter who can't hit above .250? Will they still boo on the days he's 0-4 with multiple Ks? Yes, it's OK to be disappointed in a guy making that kind of money not performing, but that won't make him into a hitter that he's not.

Slats
12-10-2011, 07:12 PM
2012 Dunn

80 R - 35 HR - 99 RBI - .250 AVG :gulp:

SportsPg
12-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Unfortunately we broke Adam Dunn last year. Wasn't anyone's fault, but it happened. I think people are forgetting something....

Adam Dunn just completed the worst statistical season of a full time regular player IN THE HISTORY OF MLB!!!!!!! :puking:

He is in his 30's, does not have the physique of a hard worker like say Thome or PK and is a power hitter. History has shown us when they crash, typically they crash hard. Look at Manny Ramirez. He went from being one of the 10 best hitters maybe EVER to scrub in a period of months. McGwire, Canseco, Bonds, Palmeiro, Sosa, Sheffield - all were very productive into their 30's and all crashed, steroids or no steroids.

Thome is real exception, still producing in his 40's is particularly impressive in my mind. I just don't see Dunn putting in the kind of day in, day out physical effort to make the change.

tick53
12-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Adam Done

hi im skot
12-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Adam Done

Weak.

Nellie_Fox
12-11-2011, 01:17 AM
2012 Dunn

80 R - 35 HR - 99 RBI - .250 AVG :gulp:Not a chance.

WhiteSox5187
12-11-2011, 02:20 AM
Not a chance.

I could see him hitting 35 HRs, but it won't be with 99 RBIs and it won't be anywhere NEAR a .250 average.

pmck003
12-11-2011, 02:46 AM
It seemed to me that Dunn's biggest problem was being too slow on the fastball so I think he should correct that with some "extra" work
(as compared to what was apparently zero work).

Konerko05
12-11-2011, 02:57 AM
Dunn seemed miserable all last season. The majority of the team did. Some players can still produce in that type of setting, but Dunn really seems like a guy that needs to be loose.

I truly believe a new coaching staff will have a huge effect on Dunn rebounding next season. Rios I'm not so sure about.

QCIASOXFAN
12-11-2011, 03:16 AM
I echo a lot of other postings about Dunn. He's a complete waste of space. I was a big fan of the move, but that quickly went south when I was at spring training for his first couple games and he wouldn't even look at the fans.

Konerko05
12-11-2011, 03:38 AM
I echo a lot of other postings about Dunn. He's a complete waste of space. I was a big fan of the move, but that quickly went south when I was at spring training for his first couple games and he wouldn't even look at the fans.

Right. I'm sure when you are famous, you will look everyone clamoring for your attention directly in the eyes.

And the guy has a .876 career OPS with five seasons at .900. He is far from a "waste of space." Let's see what he does next season before we declare his career over.

SI1020
12-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Right. I'm sure when you are famous, you will look everyone clamoring for your attention directly in the eyes.

And the guy has a .876 career OPS with five seasons at .900. He is far from a "waste of space." Let's see what he does next season before we declare his career over. One dimensional players like Dunn are relics from the steroid age. I admit to being mildly enthusiastic over this signing, but like I sometimes am, I was behind the curve. A defensive liability who even in the best of times was a strikeout machine. So much for having a high OBP.

KMcMahon817
12-11-2011, 10:24 AM
One dimensional players like Dunn are relics from the steroid age. I admit to being mildly enthusiastic over this signing, but like I sometimes am, I was behind the curve. A defensive liability who even in the best of times was a strikeout machine. So much for having a high OBP.

Who cares? The guy was signed to be a DH, you know, the position in the AL that doesn't play in the field. Who gives a flying **** if he wasn't a good fielder? He was expected to play in the field maybe a handful of times.

Dunn sucked beyond belief. He likely will never be what he was prior to 2011. But I expect him to at least be decent next year.

SI1020
12-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Who cares? The guy was signed to be a DH, you know, the position in the AL that doesn't play in the field. Who gives a flying **** if he wasn't a good fielder? He was expected to play in the field maybe a handful of times.

Dunn sucked beyond belief. He likely will never be what he was prior to 2011. But I expect him to at least be decent next year. You have much higher expectations than I do. As for the DH thing, much has been made about Dunn's unhappiness over being a DH, and that being a partial cause of his epic meltdown. Also, I do like guys who can play good defense. It's part of my White Sox traditions.

TomBradley72
12-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Back to the OP-obviously KW and JR don't have alot of faith that Dunn (or Peavy or Rios for that matter) will return to their career norms- if White Sox senior management DID believe they'd bounceback- they wouldn't dump their closer for a AA prospect and announce they are rebuilding.

One of the subtleties of the KW's "rebuilding" strategy is also a strong signal that they have given up on his big three, "Jim Hendry" type contracts with Rios, Dunn and Peavy.

johnny bench
12-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Yes, I expect Dunn to bounce back and have a good season.

asindc
12-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Back to the OP-obviously KW and JR don't have alot of faith that Dunn (or Peavy or Rios for that matter) will return to their career norms- if White Sox senior management DID believe they'd bounceback- they wouldn't dump their closer for a AA prospect and announce they are rebuilding.

One of the subtleties of the KW's "rebuilding" strategy is also a strong signal that they have given up on his big three, "Jim Hendry" type contracts with Rios, Dunn and Peavy.

You could also label them "Theo Epstein-type" contracts as well.

Zakath
12-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Bumbles bounce. :thinking:

Dan H
12-12-2011, 10:34 AM
I can't predict what Dunn will do in 2012. However, what concerns me is that out of town announcers and analysts seemed to think he just didn't have a clue at the plate. And he appeared that he didn't. Despite getting some walks, Dunn was always behind in the count. It is hard to hit when you are forever facing 0 and 2 and 1 and 2 pitches. If he isn't able to work the count better, I don't see him getting anywhere near 30 home runs.

sullythered
12-12-2011, 11:19 AM

I can't believe I'm defending Adam Dunn, but if his career numbers are all better than Dave Kingman's (which they are) how is he Dave Kingman "at his best?"

SI1020
12-12-2011, 03:49 PM
I can't believe I'm defending Adam Dunn, but if his career numbers are all better than Dave Kingman's (which they are) how is he Dave Kingman "at his best?" Kingman hit a one handed home run in Wrigley Field. Can Dunn top that? I usually skip the teal so I hope you don't think I'm baiting you.