PDA

View Full Version : What TO look forward to next season

chisoxfanatic
12-07-2011, 05:02 PM
With all of this bad news so far this offseason, I thought I'd start a thread to try to list the positive things to actually look forward to next summer. There are only three things that I can think of, but go ahead and add more as you see fit (or repeat some of mine if they'd be on your list too).

Konerko hopefully having a similar kind of season. At least he busted his behind all last season taking very few games off.
Continuing emergence of Chris Sale either as a long reliever or starter.
Lillibeast

PicktoCLick72
12-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Churros

SephClone89
12-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Starts with "Ch", ends in "urros."

WhiteSox5187
12-07-2011, 05:04 PM
There should be lots of good seats available cheap. Other than that...there isn't much.

HomeFish
12-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Whether the kids can play.

BleacherBandit
Come on. While I have an appreciation for many of our players, I will not revel in their successes for long if they do not improve the overall play of our team. I want to see the Sox compete for a title. When Sox players contend for personal titles, that doesn't cut it for a majority of Sox fans.

chisoxfanatic
There should be lots of good seats available cheap. Other than that...there isn't much.
Yea, that's true. I might actually try for cheap tickets in the Club level on Stub Hub a few hours before gametime...The joys of living so close to the ballpark.

DumpJerry
12-07-2011, 05:06 PM
A weak AL Central and you can't beat fun at the 'ole ballpark.

Oh, and a solid infield for the White Sox.

GoGoCrede
12-07-2011, 05:06 PM

Poor students like me should be reveling in this possibility.

thomas35forever
12-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Southpaw

MeteorsSox4367
12-07-2011, 05:10 PM
1. My favorite team playing my second-favorite sport.
2. Adam Dunn winning the AL Comeback Player of the Year.
3. Brett Morel proving he is an everyday third baseman.
4. Steve Stone analyzing games.
5. One of my all-time favorite Sox players starting his career as manager.
6. Sox baseball. No matter how horsebleep they may or may not be, it's still the Sox, it's still baseball, I'll still pay attention.

Marqhead
12-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Churros

Nacho helmets are the new churros.

BleacherBandit
12-07-2011, 05:13 PM
1. My favorite team playing my second-favorite sport.
2. Adam Dunn winning the AL Comeback Player of the Year.
3. Brett Morel proving he is an everyday third baseman.
4. Steve Stone analyzing games.
5. One of my all-time favorite Sox players starting his career as manager.
6. Sox baseball. No matter how horsebleep they may or may not be, it's still the Sox, it's still baseball, I'll still pay attention.

1. My favorite team playing my favorite sport
2. Adam Dunn getting benched by Ventura if he's hitting below the mendoza line.
3. Brent Morel might actually develop into a hitter worthy of getting started.
4. Steve Stone mitigating the nonsense emitted from his partner's speaker.
5. Ventura might prove that he can manage a pro-baseball team (or any baseball team, for that matter.
6. Baseball

soxnut1018
12-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Churros, Bacardi at the Park, the Sodfather, the tweaks to the opening video, and nacho helmets.

kittle42
12-07-2011, 05:17 PM
The firing of Kenny Williams.

Baseball.

doublem23
12-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Nacho helmets are the new churros.

What this guy said

GoGoCrede
12-07-2011, 05:18 PM
What this guy said

How many of those did you end up having last season? I have yet to try one.

doublem23
12-07-2011, 05:20 PM
How many of those did you end up having last season? I have yet to try one.

I had one every game I went to except once so 5.

I'm at least looking forward to not being disappointed with the Sox for the first time in a few years. I've gone into the last 3 seasons with pretty good expectations for them and they've played like dog****. At least now I know they're going to suck.

GoGoCrede
12-07-2011, 05:21 PM

They seemed fairly cheap too, for how big they were. Probably good to share between two, although from what I gathered from various WSIers, no one was sharing much, lol.

I personally hope the hot dogs are still tasty and they don't raise the prices again. Fat chance. And for ****'s sake, warm up the churros!

kobo
12-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Hard to look forward to next season when I have no idea who is going to be on the roster.

chisoxfanatic
12-07-2011, 05:22 PM
I bet I could crush one of those myself...Maybe we could have the first WSI nacho helmet eat-off? :D:

doublem23
12-07-2011, 05:23 PM
I bet I could crush one of those myself...Maybe we could have the first WSI nacho helmet eat-off? :D:

I will waste you!

chisoxfanatic
12-07-2011, 05:25 PM
I will waste you!
Doubt it! Mt. Ceasar would speak for me, but he was eaten almost a year ago. :wink:

Marqhead
12-07-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm at least looking forward to not being disappointed with the Sox for the first time in a few years. I've gone into the last 3 seasons with pretty good expectations for them and they've played like dog****. At least now I know they're going to suck.

I agree with this sentiment. No expectations going into this season, who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

TaylorStSox
12-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Ramirez
De Aza
Viciedo
Sale
Reed
Stewart
Axelrod
Flowers
Morel

I think ill be okay.

JB98
12-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Short lines at the concession stands.

BleacherBandit
12-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Short lines at the concession stands.

Short lines everywhere!

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/961-aww-yeah.jpg

kravdog
12-07-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm looking forward to not feeling the need to watch every game either in person or on TV. That's 2-3 hrs back everyday for 5+ days a week.

Very similar to the Bears from this point out this season.

Wife should be happy & I will get to spend more quality time with my 5 mo old daughter.

Now we just need the Bulls & Hawks to have deep runs so that I don't find myself watching all of the wife's shows!

GoGoCrede
12-07-2011, 05:34 PM
I can stretch out my legs on the seat in front of me and my arms to the seats on either side of me. :gulp:

ChiSoxGal85
12-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the thread...it helps me take my mind off of MB being gone. :whiner: I don't have a crystal ball, but here's what I'll be hoping for:

Adam Dunn and Alex Rios actually playing as they are capable.

Robin will be fun to watch as a new manager.

Would like to see Gordon Beckham and Brent Morel kick it up a (big) notch at the plate.

Chris Sale as a starter.

and finally:

White Sox baseball. No matter who's on the roster, I'll watch anyway (at least on TV).

DSpivack
12-07-2011, 05:42 PM
They seemed fairly cheap too, for how big they were. Probably good to share between two, although from what I gathered from various WSIers, no one was sharing much, lol.

I personally hope the hot dogs are still tasty and they don't raise the prices again. Fat chance. And for ****'s sake, warm up the churros!

The ONE game I got to least season the churros were cold. :angry:

GoGoCrede
12-07-2011, 05:43 PM
The ONE game I got to least season the churros were cold. :angry:

They were cold the last three times I got them. I was not amused.

Lip Man 1
12-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Maybe the end of the season?

Lip

GoGoCrede
12-07-2011, 05:48 PM

Lip

Scary part is that might not have to be in teal. :o:

Domeshot17
12-07-2011, 05:55 PM
The scumbag manager not blaming the fans for losing, or calling out the fans.

Make or break season for Gordon. It will be nice to finally either see him not suck, or to be able to move on from him.

Sale should develop into an all star caliber starting pitcher.

Thats about it. Most the team is going to suck. De Aza is nothing to be excited about, Axelrod is nothing more than AAAA, Stewart is going to get shelled at the cell. Morel has a nice glove, but there is little room on a team for a .700 ops 3b.

I don't mind the rebuild, I just wish we had a GM capable of evaluating talent and actually rebuilding the team.

The days of being a 56 million dollar team will be back soon.

Woofer
12-07-2011, 05:55 PM
At this point I don't see much to be excited about for next season. Opening day tickets should be pretty easy to find for once. That is all.

downstairs
12-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Saving money by not re-upping Extra Innings and MLB.tv

soltrain21
12-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Uniform counting.

tstrike2000
12-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Class coming from the dugout, hopeful rebound years from Dunn, Rios, and Beckham, a surprisingly good team, and maybe KW leaving.

JB98
12-07-2011, 06:02 PM
The scumbag manager not blaming the fans for losing, or calling out the fans.

Make or break season for Gordon. It will be nice to finally either see him not suck, or to be able to move on from him.

Sale should develop into an all star caliber starting pitcher.

Thats about it. Most the team is going to suck. De Aza is nothing to be excited about, Axelrod is nothing more than AAAA, Stewart is going to get shelled at the cell. Morel has a nice glove, but there is little room on a team for a .700 ops 3b.

I don't mind the rebuild, I just wish we had a GM capable of evaluating talent and actually rebuilding the team.

The days of being a 56 million dollar team will be back soon.

That's a good one. Win or lose, our manager will conduct himself with dignity and class. Now, if only the GM would do the same.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-07-2011, 06:08 PM

My buddy and I went to a game and each got a helmet. I crushed mine, and he couldn't even get through half. I ended up eating the rest of his...so I had 1 5/8 nacho helmets all by myself...and I could still have gone for another one.

DSpivack
12-07-2011, 06:08 PM
My buddy and I went to a game and each got a helmet. I crushed mine, and he couldn't even get through half. I ended up eating the rest of his...so I had 1 5/8 nacho helmets all by myself...and I could still have gone for another one.

I couldn't eat more than 1 3/16.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-07-2011, 06:10 PM
I couldn't eat more than 1 3/16.

Your loss. :redneck

Steelrod
12-07-2011, 06:20 PM

Lip
We will have a better record in 2012 then 2011!

QueerGirrl
12-07-2011, 06:23 PM

Baseball.

Hahaha!! That made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that!

As what to look forward to: warm days bathing in the outfield sun....alone.

asindc
12-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Watching my favorite team.

ZombieRob
12-07-2011, 06:26 PM
A whole bunch of good seat available.

russ99
12-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Even in the dregs of the late 80s, win or lose, I love watch White Sox baseball, especially in person.

I'll be happier about the future direction of the team once we dump the "white elephants".

DirtySox
12-07-2011, 06:29 PM
A high draft pick?

LITTLE NELL
12-07-2011, 06:43 PM
I have been a Sox fan for 60 years now and will always root for them. If I can endure the 68-69 and 70 seasons I will be able to bear this next season. Actually I'm not giving up on 2012 unless KW completely blows up the team. PK, TCQ, TCM should have their normal seasons and lets hope that Dunn and Rios get their acts together and we just might surprise people. We still have a good pitching staff, Sale is going to have to fill MBs shoes. Mark was damn good for us but he is not Cy Young. Danks will win more than 8 games so MBs 13 wins will not be that hard to make up.

PS While I was up in Chicago this summer I bought a Sox jersey, guess who's name was on the back? He is now a Marlin.

Moses_Scurry
12-07-2011, 06:55 PM
I am looking forward to seeing the young talent that Kenny hopefully gets in some of these trades progress. As bad as the farm system has been, the team is going to be really young this year. It is also going to be a pivotal year for Gordon Beckham and Brent Morel. I think it will be Beckham's last chance.

I'm looking forward to following this Molina kid.

It will be interesting to varying degrees to watch Flowers, Viciedo, Morel, Beckham, De Aza, Reed, Sale, Humber, and Zach Stewart.

It will be depressing as hell to have to sit through Dunn and Rios.

It will be frustrating as hell to see Peavy go on the DL.

Konerko will likely be the lone all star game rep, but at least he'll probably deserve it unlike some of the other lone representatives.

The best thing going for this team is the lack of expectations. There is not much reason to be excited about 2012, but we may see some positives for 2013 and beyond. And really, if the Tigers fall on their faces (which is definitely possible, see 2008), then there is no other team in the division that is head and shoulders above the Sox even with the rebuild. Stranger things have happened.

soxlady8
12-07-2011, 07:29 PM
I look forward to getting good cheap seats on Stub Hub last minute when the weather is nice.

I look forward to seeing Paulie have a great year.

I look forward to Elivs night.

VenturaFan23
12-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Opening Day and Blackhawks Night. Also, hopefully better fundamental baseball.

dwitt76
12-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Opening day at the cell

chisoxfanatic
12-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Did you have an Amoretto Stone Sour with it? :redneck

Bucky F. Dent
12-07-2011, 07:54 PM
I look forward to Viciedo,Flowers, Humber, Stewart and Sale
I look forward to Beckham turning it around
I look forward to the true professional that is Paul Konerko
I look forward to seeing Robin's first season as a manager
I look forward to baseball.

Soxman219
12-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Sox baseball, no matter what will always watch. What else is there to watch during the summer?

I also believe in a weak division, you always have a shot at the playoffs. And once you're in, as we saw this year, anything can happen.

Hitmen77
12-07-2011, 09:25 PM
What TO look forward to next season

Not much.

Baseball.

Ha! You speak as if there is such a thing as accountability in Sox management. Ozzie had to ultimatum his way out the door. Pissing on the fans wasn't enough to do it for him.

Kenny is going nowhere no matter how many busts we have in our lineup.

SportsPg
12-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Amnesty for Adam Dunn...Alex Rios...Jake Peavy...

DOH, wrong sport. Man, would an amnesty clause look good right now... :angry:

Since we can't get rid of those three bozo's, I'd say we've got to look forward to Chris Sale and Phil Humber learning to be a #1 and #2 starter. Otherwise, I think we've got about 70-92 or so to look forward to...

SoxSpeed22
12-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Smarter baseball (talented or not)
No more bitching on this board about Greg Walker every time we have a bad game (Now bitching about Jeff Manto)
Hopeful for improvement from Morel and Beckham.
Sale in the rotation

Jurr
12-07-2011, 10:06 PM
A team that might be talented, young, and "dumb" enough to not get bogged down by expectations.

No significant expectation may bode well for a team that chronically presses.

This team has ached for new blood for 3-4 years. It's time.

DumpJerry
12-07-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm looking forward to going to Wrigley Field to watch Mariner's hurler Mark Buehrle mow down the best Theo can field against him.

thomas35forever
12-07-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm looking forward to going to Wrigley Field to watch Mariner's hurler Mark Buehrle mow down the best Theo can field against him.
:scratch:

Noneck
12-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Over the past couple years the decline of the Sox have turned the Sox fan base to clamoring for the dismal of ozwaldo, now its on to williams and maybe with a total collapse it will continue upward.

BleacherBandit
12-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Over the past couple years the decline of the Sox have turned the Sox fan base to clamoring for the dismal of ozwaldo, now its on to williams and maybe with a total collapse it will continue upward.

The fall of an obese, teetering empire.

DSpivack
12-07-2011, 11:46 PM

I don't know what's worse, the misidentifying of the team he is now on, or that Mariner is now possessive. :tongue:

Nellie_Fox
12-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Nacho helmet main course.

Churros for dessert.

That's some fine dining right there.

soxfanreggie
12-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Hopefully the emergence of Sale (he has been very promising), Morel, Beckham, and De Aza. If a couple of those guys can do what Alexei did, that will really help us.

Andy T Clown
12-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Not looking forward to next right season now. Maybe something good will happen soon. This team does not get better with less pitching. If I feel the need to watch prospects I will go to Crestwood and watch the thunderbolts (cost a lot less to park). If you can't afford to field a competitor then don't pretend to compete. Now I know why the Sox were giving me the hard press on ticket packages last week. Looks like "The Kids Can Play part II"

cards press box
12-08-2011, 01:04 AM
This team has ached for new blood for 3-4 years. It's time.

I agree with this. It has been time to turn the page for a while. And, you know, if Alex Rios, Adam Dunn and/or Jake Peavy rebound in spring training or early in the 2012 season, the Sox might be able to move one or more of them, too.

The Sox have a young infield (Morel, Ramirez and Beckham), will have a young catcher (Flowers) split time with A.J., are moving Chris Sale to the rotation and will likely work Addison Reed in as the closer. Is Alejandro de Aza a legitimate outfield prospect? He might be, as he is only 27.

The Santos deal netted Nestor Molina, a young possible starter that John Nickels rated as the #2 prospect in the Blue Jay organization.

I am sure that more moves will come. I have to say that the Sox needed to re-tool on the fly and it appears that they are doing so. I am also pleased to see that they do not appear to be making moves for the sake of making moves. One more thing: if the Sox don't deal John Danks, I hope that they lock him up to a long-term deal soon.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-08-2011, 01:33 AM

Exactly what I was going to say.

I just realized, that is all goes to plan, I won't even have a damn jersey to wear to the games. First Buehrle, all I got left is Q...

Falstaff
12-08-2011, 01:45 AM
as long as we are still dreaming, next year looking fwd to :

1- John Danks - wins 18 (for white sox)
2- Peavy - rules as the new closer
3- Morel - will hit .279 and make some crazy good plays
4- New mid grade pitcher - in exchange for TCQ
5- Going to win 60 and lose 60, its the other 42 that count.

DSpivack
12-08-2011, 01:50 AM

I just realized, that is all goes to plan, I won't even have a damn jersey to wear to the games. First Buehrle, all I got left is Q...

You'll always have the Buehrle jersey to wear to Sox games. Always.

gobears1987
12-08-2011, 02:16 AM

Baseball.

gobears1987
12-08-2011, 02:17 AM

Your Buehrle jersey will be good until the end of time. If people can still wear Fisk jerseys, then it's safe to say we will see Buehrle jerseys for decades to come. I know I'll keep wearing mine whenever I get a chance to go to a game.

DumpJerry
12-08-2011, 06:30 AM

I don't know what's worse, the misidentifying of the team he is now on, or that Mariner is now possessive. :tongue:
Mariners, Marlins.....does it really make a difference any more?

soxfanatlanta
12-08-2011, 06:53 AM
Watching some decent talent in Charlotte.

SI1020
12-08-2011, 07:05 AM
5- Going to win 60 and lose 60, its the other 42 that count. Who invented that cliche? I wish it would go away.

bigdommer
12-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Looking forward to another year of that Rios contract coming off the books. It's kind of like loan payments for a really crappy car that you don't like. You can either complain about it, or just keep writing those checks knowing that eventually it will be over.

chisox12
12-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Looking forward to another year of that Rios contract coming off the books. It's kind of like loan payments for a really crappy car that you don't like. You can either complain about it, or just keep writing those checks knowing that eventually it will be over.

True, but you still have to drive that ****ty car (watch Rios play) everyday.

Golden Sox
12-08-2011, 08:15 AM
1) You still have 4 players in your starting lineup who can't hit. 2) Your best relief pitcher was traded for a prospect who might not make the team. . 3) Your best starting pitcher left to go to Miami, receiving nothing in return. 4) Hudson will have another good year in Arizona. You also received basically nothing in return for him. ALL OF THE ABOVE equals one massive train wreck. The only positive that I can see is that 2012 will probably be the last season for Ken Williams on the great Southside of Chicago.

chisox12
12-08-2011, 08:17 AM
1) You still have 4 players in your starting lineup who can't hit. 2) Your best relief pitcher was traded for a prospect who might not make the team. . 3) Your best starting pitcher left to go to Miami, receiving nothing in return. 4) Hudson will have another good year in Arizona. You also received basically nothing in return for him. ALL OF THE ABOVE equals one massive train wreck. The only positive that I can see is that 2012 will probably be the last season for Ken Williams on the great Southside of Chicago.

Agree. Agree. Agree. Agree.

Moses_Scurry
12-08-2011, 08:19 AM
I think it is going to be interesting to see what happens if the team manages to stay afloat in the first half of the season. With all of these massive, paradigm shifting changes, it is really hard to imagine the team starting out as horribly as they did in the past two years. This team could randomly be in contention by July with just a few breaks going their way, especially in the AL central. Then what will Kenny do? Will he stay committed to the course or will he succumb to the temptation to start dealing the young talent for veteran help and trade for more big contracts? I worry about the second option.

JR is going to have to watch very closely.

Procol Harum
12-08-2011, 08:47 AM

I second that motion.

gobears1987
12-08-2011, 08:48 AM
On hot days next year, a nice breeze will flow through the stadium whenever Adam Dunn swings and misses. That should help when it gets to 90 degrees.

asindc
12-08-2011, 08:50 AM

You still have 4 players in your starting lineup who can't hit.
That will, without any doubt, remain the case.

2) Your best relief pitcher was traded for a prospect who might not make the team.
Yeah, the Sox would have probably been better off having the guys who decided to convert him to a relief pitcher in the first place make the call on whether he was worth holding onto.

3) Your best starting pitcher left to go to Miami, receiving nothing in return.
Yes, that would have, without any doubt, been $58 million well-spent over the next four years.

4) Hudson will have another good year in Arizona. You also received basically nothing in return for him.
Once again, no doubt about it. Just like Javy Vazquez had a great year in Atlanta, proving how the Sox failed to recognize and harness his talents.

ALL OF THE ABOVE equals one massive train wreck. The only positive that I can see is that 2012 will probably be the last season for Ken Williams on the great Southside of Chicago.
There most certainly is nothing to look forward to. You forgot to mention how Pauly, Alexei, Humber, Lillibridge, De Aza, AJ, Beckham, and Frasor will all certainly perform well below career norms/expectations, and there is no young talent on the club that we can look forward to possibly getting better. Additionally, there is not even one pitcher available from our farm system to come up and possibly contribute this year, like Santos did in 2010.

You've summarized the overall outlook quite well.

WhiteSox5187
12-08-2011, 09:49 AM
I think it is going to be interesting to see what happens if the team manages to stay afloat in the first half of the season. With all of these massive, paradigm shifting changes, it is really hard to imagine the team starting out as horribly as they did in the past two years. This team could randomly be in contention by July with just a few breaks going their way, especially in the AL central. Then what will Kenny do? Will he stay committed to the course or will he succumb to the temptation to start dealing the young talent for veteran help and trade for more big contracts? I worry about the second option.

JR is going to have to watch very closely.

If the Sox are relatively close (which they could be, I could see them being under .500 but still vaguely in the hunt for the division) I could totally see Kenny going or a veteran guy by trading any young guys he may have gotten this off season. That's another big reason why I don't want Kenny in charge of rebuilding.

bigdommer
12-08-2011, 11:12 AM
True, but you still have to drive that ****ty car (watch Rios play) everyday.

Glass half full! Just keep crossing those days off the list. Can WSI comeup with a Rios game countdown?

Lip Man 1
12-08-2011, 11:12 AM
JR will never fire Kenny unless he does something illegal. Now Kenny might eventually walk away but he won't be fired.

Lip

doublem23
12-08-2011, 11:33 AM
If the Sox are relatively close (which they could be, I could see them being under .500 but still vaguely in the hunt for the division) I could totally see Kenny going or a veteran guy by trading any young guys he may have gotten this off season. That's another big reason why I don't want Kenny in charge of rebuilding.

That's a joke, right? If the Sox are in the hunt for the play-offs come July 31 you don't want your GM to pull the trigger on a deal for a veteran who fills a need?

Good god people.

asindc
12-08-2011, 11:37 AM
That's a joke, right? If the Sox are in the hunt for the play-offs come July 31 you don't want your GM to pull the trigger on a deal for a veteran who fills a need?

Good god people.

Doub,

You don't understand. The fact that they would be playing well and contending at the time is no reason for team officials to do what they can to support that effort. [Put in teal only because some here seem to actually believe that would be the best approach. :rolleyes:]

guillensdisciple
12-08-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm gonna get a season ticket plan to cap off the year so I'm expecting some fun at the ball park.

No expectations what so ever for once, and I hope I get to see some talent from the youth and some exciting baseball when I'm there.

tacosalbarojas
12-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Seven pages long and only three mentions of Dayan Viciedo? Let me be the fourth.

Moses_Scurry
12-08-2011, 12:18 PM

Good god people.

It is how we ended up with Rios. Of course I would want the trigger pulled. I would also be nervous with Kenny pulling the trigger.

Golden Sox
12-08-2011, 02:14 PM
When Ron Schueler made the white flag trade years ago, he didn't show up at Soxfest that offseason. I'm wondering if Ken Williams will show up at Soxfest this coming January.

LITTLE NELL
12-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Seven pages long and only three mentions of Dayan Viciedo? Let me be the fourth.

He did not exactly make us forget about the the Big Hurt in his time up here last summer. 113 ABs with 1 homer and 6 RBIs.

chisox12
12-08-2011, 02:35 PM
When Ron Schueler made the white flag trade years ago, he didn't show up at Soxfest that offseason. I'm wondering if Ken Williams will show up at Soxfest this coming January.

He will be there. I almost want to go just to be there for the town hall meeting w/ KW.

tstrike2000
12-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Mariners, Marlins.....does it really make a difference any more?

Opposing oceans?

A. Cavatica
12-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Players and staff with less job security.

Getting my daily sunshine fix here at WSI.

GoGoCrede
12-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Players and staff with less job security.

Getting my daily sunshine fix here at WSI.

I cackled. Although the Parking Lot is really fun in the offseason.

Tragg
12-08-2011, 03:44 PM

Good god people.
If we have an under .500 record, which was the question posed? Not necessarily, especially at the price Williams usually pays.

doublem23
12-08-2011, 03:46 PM
If we have an under .500 record, which was the question posed? Not necessarily, especially at the price Williams usually pays.

The OP only posed that he felt the Sox could be under .500 but still kicking in the division but that was an aside from his actual question

WhiteSox5187
12-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Good god people.

If you're going to commit to rebuilding then ****ing commit to rebuilding. I don't want to see our GM going into the season promising to rebuild the minor leagues only to trade the guys he ****ing traded for to fill a need he COULD and probably SHOULD have filled in the off season. His trading young guys for veterans is why we are in this mess. We wouldn't have needed to trade Santos if we hadn't traded Holmberg and Hudson for Edwin Jackson. I don't want to see Edwin Jackson 2.0 happen. THOSE are the moves that the Royals and Pirates make (or have made up until they started to rebuild their minor leagues in 2007).

DumpJerry
12-08-2011, 04:49 PM
3) Your best starting pitcher left to go to Miami, receiving nothing in return.
Compensation pick is something.

DSpivack
12-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Compensation pick is something.

Barely.

Rikirk
12-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Kenny Williams getting the axe.
Dunn and Konerko both having 40+ HR seasons...
(Yeah, I can dream cant I?)

dickallen15
12-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Looking forward to a lot of room to stretch at White Sox games this year, short lines at restrooms and concession stands and being able to sit on the Red Line after the game.

GoGoCrede
12-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Looking forward to a lot of room to stretch at White Sox games this year, short lines at restrooms and concession stands and being able to sit on the Red Line after the game.

I always sit on the Red Line. The secret is to go all the way down on the platform to the first car.

Crooked Number
12-08-2011, 09:51 PM
1. I am very interested to see if Adam Dunn can be Adam Dunn.

2. A full season of the Tank

3. Sale, blossoms in his starter role?

4. Morel taking the next step?

5. No drama in the clubhouse / professionalism from the manager (i loved ozzie but he grew very tiresome and irritating)

6. Pressure will be off, maybe this team responds. Tons of pressure going into last year. Being chosen by the pundits and baseball faculty. They will be predicted as also-rans going into the season.

7. Seeing all my fellow die hards in the Lots come opening day!

There is always something to look forward too, it's the game we all love. How about just being able to be here (alive) and enjoy Sox baseball?

guillensdisciple
12-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Love the post Crooked, and my sentiments exactly.

bigdommer
12-09-2011, 12:18 PM
He did not exactly make us forget about the the Big Hurt in his time up here last summer. 113 ABs with 1 homer and 6 RBIs.

his 162 game projection comes to .282 with 15 HR's and 46 RBI's. 742 OPS is better than AJ and 3 points below Alexei. I know it's all relative, but on this team that is outstanding.

LITTLE NELL
12-09-2011, 01:25 PM
his 162 game projection comes to .282 with 15 HR's and 46 RBI's. 742 OPS is better than AJ and 3 points below Alexei. I know it's all relative, but on this team that is outstanding.

Thats based on his 2 year stats, if you went by 2011 stats he would have 6 HRs and 36 ribbies. If we keep the team we now have, where does Viciedo play? Right now it looks like TCQ in LF, DeAza in CF and Rios in RF.

sox1970
12-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Thats based on his 2 year stats, if you went by 2011 stats he would have 6 HRs and 36 ribbies. If we keep the team we now have, where does Viciedo play? Right now it looks like TCQ in LF, DeAza in CF and Rios in RF.

As long as there isn't some shocking Konerko trade where Viciedo moves to 1B, Quentin is as good as gone.

If they trade Quentin, but keep the rest of the team, it's a team that would have low expectations but the potential to surprise.

Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Humber, Sale isn't chopped liver if they all stay healthy. Unlikely, but possible.

And the same stuff....if Dunn, if Rios, if Beckham, if Morel, if De Aza, if Viciedo....a lot of individual potential for good years, but all of it has to hit right for the Sox to compete.

doublem23
12-09-2011, 01:50 PM
As long as there isn't some shocking Konerko trade where Viciedo moves to 1B, Quentin is as good as gone.

Perhaps though I don't think it's out of the question to think the Sox can find a way to rotate 6 guys in 5 spots, especially considering two of those guys (Rios, Dunn) really, really suck.

LITTLE NELL
12-09-2011, 01:51 PM

If they trade Quentin, but keep the rest of the team, it's a team that would have low expectations but the potential to surprise.

Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Humber, Sale isn't chopped liver if they all stay healthy. Unlikely, but possible.

And the same stuff....if Dunn, if Rios, if Beckham, if Morel, if De Aza, if Viciedo....a lot of individual potential for good years, but all of it has to hit right for the Sox to compete.

I think TCQ stays. I'm sure KW tried to trade him but did not like what was offered in return, same with Danks and Floyd.
I have a feeling that this team will surprise this year, there is still a lot of talent and like you say if they all come on and have good years, who knows? I also think that Robin is going to have a calming influence on the team, something the Sox need after the last few years of the Ringling Bros, Barnum and Ozzie circus.

MarySwiss
12-09-2011, 02:03 PM
I think TCQ stays. I'm sure KW tried to trade him but did not like what was offered in return, same with Danks and Floyd.
I have a feeling that this team will surprise this year, there is still a lot of talent and like you say if they all come on and have good years, who knows? I also think that Robin is going to have a calming influence on the team, something the Sox need after the last few years of the Ringling Bros, Barnum and Ozzie circus.
The last time the Sox were projected to suck, they won the World Series. Now I'm not saying that will happen again, but on my next trip to Laughlin, I will bet on my team. Worked for me last time! :cool:

kittle42
12-09-2011, 02:14 PM
The last time the Sox were projected to suck, they won the World Series. Now I'm not saying that will happen again, but on my next trip to Laughlin, I will bet on my team. Worked for me last time! :cool:

Weren't they mostly projected to suck the last two seasons?

LITTLE NELL
12-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Weren't they mostly projected to suck the last two seasons?

No, they were picked to win the division in 2011 by a lot of so-called experts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview/2011/news/story?page=11expertpicks

I think most of us here at WSI also thought that we were the favorites to win the division.

JB98
12-09-2011, 02:31 PM

I'm hoping you are correct about this. I think the environment around the Sox hasn't been good the last couple years. The players can say the tension between KW and Ozzie didn't affect them, but I'm not sure I buy that.

I've spent the better part of three seasons listening to coaches and players talk about "pressing" and "trying to do too much." I don't expect the Sox to be good in 2012, but I do hope the atmosphere around the club is a little less pressurized, allowing guys to play to their ability levels.

Jerko
12-19-2011, 09:25 AM
1. I am very interested to see if Adam Dunn can be Adam Dunn.

2. A full season of the Tank

3. Sale, blossoms in his starter role?

4. Morel taking the next step?

5. No drama in the clubhouse / professionalism from the manager (i loved ozzie but he grew very tiresome and irritating)

6. Pressure will be off, maybe this team responds. Tons of pressure going into last year. Being chosen by the pundits and baseball faculty. They will be predicted as also-rans going into the season.

7. Seeing all my fellow die hards in the Lots come opening day!

There is always something to look forward too, it's the game we all love. How about just being able to be here (alive) and enjoy Sox baseball?

I agree with most of these. I think 1) is impossible, but you never know. I'm really looking forward to #5.