PDA

View Full Version : Torii Hunter suspension?

FJA
07-17-2002, 08:30 PM
Minnesota might be without its star for a little while ...

Twins' Hunter throws ball at pitcher
AP--8:03 p.m.

CLEVELAND -- Minnesota's Torii Hunter, angered that he was hit by a pitch, picked up the ball and threw it at Indians pitcher Danys Baez in the fifth inning of Wednesday night's game.

Hunter got hit in the left side with the first pitch from Baez and immediately dropped to the ground. After getting up, Hunter pushed past third-base coach Al Newman and catcher Einar Diaz to get to the ball.

The All-Star center fielder then fired it -- as hard as he could -- directly at Baez, who appeared to be hit in the leg but was not hurt.

Hunter was immediately ejected by plate umpire Ted Barrett and will likely face disciplinary action by the commissioner's office.

Both benches and bullpens emptied and the umpiring crew met with both managers before play resumed.

In the second inning, Baez hit Twins catcher A.J. Pierzynski with a pitch. The right-hander had hit three batters in 103 innings coming in.

Daver
07-17-2002, 08:32 PM
Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

BuehrleACE56
07-17-2002, 08:35 PM
I wanna see a replay of this. Hunter seems like a real nice, likeable guy. When they said that he did it, I was sort of surprised. Does he have any sort of a disiplanery record? I'm sure he'll get a suspension if it's as bad as it sounds. How come we haven't gotten into any beanball battles or brawls this year? We got nothing better to do.....

FJA
07-17-2002, 08:40 PM
Maybe Torii will appeal and we can throw at him next week. Hell, let's get Richie to do it so we can get him out of the rotation and kill two birds with one stone.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-17-2002, 08:46 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG THAT WAS FUNNY!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

WTG Hunter Don't take no crap from no-one.

Just don't let this happen to you........

:nolanventura

RedPinStripes
07-17-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Maybe Torii will appeal and we can throw at him next week. Hell, let's get Richie to do it so we can get him out of the rotation and kill two birds with one stone.

I like the way this guy thinks. Welcome!

Hunter is a little baby. Remember the looks he was giving Howry when he hit him? part of the game is getting hit and this moron has to realize it.

RedPinStripes
07-17-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND
LOL!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG THAT WAS FUNNY!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

WTG Hunter Don't take no crap from no-one.

Just don't let this happen to you........

:nolanventura

Bad memories dude. :(:

duke of dorwood
07-17-2002, 09:20 PM
Hunter has Gary Sheffield written all over him. Will be a career behavior problem. Or he's the black Jimmy Piersall.

FanOf14
07-17-2002, 09:25 PM
Torii Hunter seems to already have quite the attitude problem. He's a decent-to-good player, but if he really wants to succeed as a player, he needs to put his attitude in check and realize he isn't a baseball god, just a baesball player.

danman31
07-18-2002, 12:58 AM
That was cool. I'm glad to see someone do that. I hate the Twins, but I got nothing against Torii because he is on 2 of my fantasy teams.

StepsInSC
07-18-2002, 01:18 AM
I thought Torii was a respectable guy...but Baez obviously didn't mean to hit him. He felt so bad about it that he went to the Twins clubhouse to apologize...even after the game Torii stood by his actions like he didn't do anything wrong. He was like "I threw a ball at him, but he threw a ball at me too. It doesn't make sense for me to get in trouble but not him" -at least that was the jist of what he was saying.

bc2k
07-18-2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

I like the way this guy thinks. Welcome!

Hunter is a little baby. Remember the looks he was giving Howry when he hit him? part of the game is getting hit and this moron has to realize it.

He is a baby RPS. Every announcer and ESPN anchor claim Torii is the nicest guy in baseball, a perfect gentleman. BULL****! I never put too much stock into baloney like that and this is why. This is the second time in about a month I've seen him get hit. Neither time was intentional, nowhere near his head. But he threw a tantrum both times.

How come Baez tried to move when Torii threw at him when he has a glove? He should have caught Torii's throw and hit him a second time.

To steal a line from John Rooney, maybe Baez hit Torii hard enough to knock one of the extra i's off his first name. Torii is a thug.

Mathew
07-18-2002, 02:34 AM
I watched it live, it was hilarious, I was laughing when he got hit and harder when he grabbed the ball.

P.S. If he's such a gentleman why was the third base coach down there holding him back as soon as he was hit and he had to throw around him?

LongDistanceFan
07-18-2002, 09:15 AM
i thought is was "bush". it was obvious on the reply that the pit had no intentions of throwing at him. he should've walk it off and taken the base. my impression of his interview was BS on his part, kinda of bragging about what he did.

ma-gaga
07-18-2002, 09:31 AM
It was totally bush, and absolutely hilarious. Can you imagine? This is probably every players dream, to pick up the ball and bean the pitcher.

RPS, LDF, Matthew, Steps, Fanof, and Duke: Who would you rather have on your team:

Torii Hunter or Kenny Lofton?
Torii Hunter or prospect?
Torii Hunter or Lofton/prospect?

Bush or not, the guy can play. Attitude problem? yeah right. Comparing him to Sheffield, LOL.

:) Maybe he'll get 5 games. I doubt he'll get more than a 3 game suspension.

EDIT:
LDF - LTP
Duke - LTP
bc2k - LTP

LongDistanceFan
07-18-2002, 09:36 AM
prospects, we do not need a carl evertt if what is said is true.

furthermore, i am disappointed at the pit going over and saying "i am sorry" :angry:

SoxRule
07-18-2002, 10:44 AM
That was hilarious! High fives for Hunter!

duke of dorwood
07-18-2002, 10:46 AM
His behavior has turned me off this year, and is apt to continue to decline. I'll take our prospect, LTP.

FarWestChicago
07-18-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
It was totally bush, and absolutely hilarious.It was hilarious. I saw it on the local news out here and got a serious laugh out of it. :D:

bc2k
07-18-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
His behavior has turned me off this year, and is apt to continue to decline. I'll take our prospect, LTP.

Damn right Duke. I'll take a switch-hitting five-tool player with light tower power over a thug any day.

Soxheads
07-18-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
It was hilarious. I saw it on the local news out here and got a serious laugh out of it. :D:

It was really hard not to laugh at. :smile:

Of course, this will probably be a thing to fire up the Jndjans, and they'll probably go on a tear.

It just goes along with being a Sox fan.

RedPinStripes
07-18-2002, 05:42 PM
As you saw in my first post on this thread, i thought Hunter was being a moron about it at first. Then i saw the interview with him later and he said "Some guys charge the mound. I just gave him right back what he gave me. That's all"

When i heard that and saw the replay again, I couldn't help but laugh my ass off. I'd think lower of him if he charged the mound. This might start a new trend. lol He's still a dick though.

SoxRule
07-19-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
As you saw in my first post on this thread, i thought Hunter was being a moron about it at first. Then i saw the interview with him later and he said "Some guys charge the mound. I just gave him right back what he gave me. That's all"

When i heard that and saw the replay again, I couldn't help but laugh my ass off. I'd think lower of him if he charged the mound. This might start a new trend. lol He's still a dick though.

Would he still be a dick if he played for the Sox?

Cheryl
07-19-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by SoxRule

Would he still be a dick if he played for the Sox?

Yes, but he'd be our dick.

RedPinStripes
07-19-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Yes, but he'd be our dick.

Now that don't sound good.
:D:

Jerry_Manuel
07-19-2002, 05:17 PM
3 games (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0719/1407783.html).

Minnesota Twins outfielder Torii Hunter was suspended for three games and fined an undisclosed amount Friday for throwing a ball at Cleveland's Danys Baez.

Ol Aches & Pains
07-19-2002, 08:05 PM
I think the Sox need something like this to wake them up, nothing else is working.

For what it's worth, Hunter was very contrite in the story I read in the Sun Times today. He said he "hates that he did it". All I know is I'd trade Kenny Lofton and Frank Thomas for him in a heartbeat. Hell, throw in Todd Richie too!

SOXSINCE'70
07-19-2002, 08:20 PM
I had a lot of respect for Torii Hunter before he wnated to charge the mound on Howry earlier this year.And now with the Danys Baez incident,it confirms what I thought all along.Hunter's a crybaby punk,like most players.Hey Torii,if you're such a man,I would have loved to see you charge the mound after getting hit by a pitch from Drysdale,Gibson or Marichal.
Be a man and go to first base,you punk!!You want revenge??
If you face the same pitcher later in the game,take his ass downtown!!