PDA

View Full Version : Reyes signs with Marlins for 6-year deal

palehozenychicty
12-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Per Ken Rosenthal, the deal is for $106 million at 6 years. Reyes did NOT receive a NTC.

Reyes, for all his talent, is too injury-prone. The Marlins needed to make this move, but dag. Now they have a disgruntled Hanley Ramirez, who is moody enough as is.

DSpivack
12-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Per Ken Rosenthal, the deal is for $106 million at 6 years. Reyes did NOT receive a NTC.

Reyes, for all his talent, is too injury-prone. The Marlins needed to make this move, but dag. Now they have a disgruntled Hanley Ramirez, who is moody enough as is.

They agreed to terms with Ramirez tonight, he'll move to 3B.

Lip Man 1
12-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Nothing on ESPN.com or any other places yet about any agreement with Ramirez (if you're talking about Hanley I assume it's some sort of extension?)

Lip

DirtySox
12-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Nothing on ESPN.com or any other places yet about any agreement with Ramirez (if you're talking about Hanley I assume it's some sort of extension?)

Lip

There isn't any Hanley extension. He has agreed to play 3B with Reyes signing though.

thomas35forever
12-04-2011, 11:18 PM
How much input do you suppose Ozzie had in this?

Domeshot17
12-04-2011, 11:38 PM
I am going to say Ozzie had no input, Hanley is moving to 3rd, not to CF.

Marlins overpaid big time here, but thats what you have to do to get FA to play for teams like the marlins.

balke
12-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Sounds like Ozzie finally gets what he asks for. Now will they win?

soxinem1
12-04-2011, 11:49 PM
They'll regret it in two years. How ridiculous.

I wonder if Juan Pierre is on the radar of FLA?

DSpivack
12-05-2011, 12:04 AM

Lip

There isn't any Hanley extension. He has agreed to play 3B with Reyes signing though.

I think I just misread what one baseball writer wrote on Twitter, that he had agreed to terms and would agree to play 3B. I thought he meant that he had agreed to some sort of contract.

soxinem1
12-05-2011, 12:05 AM
I am going to say Ozzie had no input, Hanley is moving to 3rd, not to CF if Reyes landed in FLA.

Marlins overpaid big time here, but thats what you have to do to get FA to play for teams like the marlins.

Ozzie stated all along that Ramirez would more than likely go to 3B and not the OF.

At the same token, Hanley might be playing SS a lot anyway when Reyes gets his first hamstring injury by the end of June.

And while what you say is true about over-paying to go to FLA, it was KW who paid $56 million for a guy to DH even though he stated about 46 times from the ASB of 2010 until the winter meetings of 2010 he didn't want to DH.

PalehosePlanet
12-05-2011, 12:10 AM

Agreed, he's the Ferrari that's always in the repair shop.

This is Carl Crawford, part deux.

DirtySox
12-05-2011, 12:13 AM
I think I just misread what one baseball writer wrote on Twitter, that he had agreed to terms and would agree to play 3B. I thought he meant that he had agreed to some sort of contract.

Yea. It was either Buster or Rosenthal. They accidentally said Hanley instead of Reyes.

VMSNS
12-05-2011, 12:49 AM
Bell and Reyes...not a bad start for the fish. Now, if they sign Buehrle or Wilson or somehow acquire another decent starter, they could be a dangerous team.

Still, there seems to be a lot of drama following that team. You've got an owner who's widely considered to be one of the worst owners in sports who is now spending like crazy. Hanley, their franchise player, is a total head case (and probably isn't too happy that he's now playing 3B). The constant drama with Logan Morrison. The intense pressure of needing to play well now with their expanded payroll and new stadium. Throw Ozzie and his stupid managing and family drama into the mix....and you quite possibly have the recipe for a complete disaster.

hi im skot
12-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Bell and Reyes...not a bad start for the fish. Now, if they sign Buehrle or Wilson or somehow acquire another decent starter, they could be a dangerous team.

Still, there seems to be a lot of drama following that team. You've got an owner who's widely considered to be one of the worst owners in sports who is now spending like crazy. Hanley, their franchise player, is a total head case (and probably isn't too happy that he's now playing 3B). The constant drama with Logan Morrison. The intense pressure of needing to play well now with their expanded payroll and new stadium. Throw Ozzie and his stupid managing and family drama into the mix....and you quite possibly have the recipe for a complete disaster.

Yeah, it's going to be awesome.

DSpivack
12-05-2011, 01:18 AM

And you didn't even mention that the SEC is investigating their stadium deal.

DumpJerry
12-05-2011, 07:57 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/sfl-miami-marlins-jose-reyes-1204,0,5555911.story

russ99
12-05-2011, 08:45 AM
I am going to say Ozzie had no input, Hanley is moving to 3rd, not to CF.

I think the overpay was less the Marlins, and more what it costs to get an elite leadoff talent on the open market.

If Reyes can stay healthy, he's a difference maker at the top of that lineup.

asindc
12-05-2011, 09:12 AM
I think the overpay was less the Marlins, and more what it costs to get an elite leadoff talent on the open market.

If Reyes can stay healthy, he's a difference maker at the top of that lineup.

IMO, the bolded word in your post should be a lot larger.

Fenway
12-05-2011, 09:40 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/387911_2633048058167_1014362077_32864119_923729392 _n.jpg

The Mets have become irrelevant in New York. The wheels started to falloff in 2006 when they blew the NLCS, and then came September 2007. They have not recovered.

My Mets friends despise Citi Field and miss Shea :?:

It amazes me that after 50 seasons,the team can not attract attention north of Westchester. They have the smallest radio network in MLB ( 3 stations ) WFAN and 2 near Albany - and nothing in Connecticut or New Jersey.

The Red Sox have more stations in New York State than the Mets do.

From a PR standpoint the team is associated with Bernie Madoff which is a disaster in the NY Jewish community.

They could be a bigger mess than the Dodgers.

guillensdisciple
12-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Ehhh I guess that works- Ozzie loves speed and now he has a hell of a lot. Though Reyes has always been damaged I one way of another which wastes his vast talent.

I kind of wanted them to land Pujols- knew it was not happening but still wanted to see it because that would have made the NL East ridiculous. So many teams would have chances to make it to the playoffs with the Phillies, Braves, and Marlins.

DumpJerry
12-05-2011, 10:58 AM
I kind of wanted them to land Pujols- knew it was not happening but still wanted to see it because that would have made the NL East ridiculous. So many teams would have chances to make it to the playoffs with the Phillies, Braves, and Marlins.
:scratch:Did I miss the news that Pujols signed with someone?

russ99
12-05-2011, 12:08 PM
IMO, the bolded word in your post should be a lot larger.

Good point.

But considering what Reyes just got, it makes me wonder how huge a contract Ellsbury could get if he stays healthy into his FA years.

PalehosePlanet
12-05-2011, 01:19 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/387911_2633048058167_1014362077_32864119_923729392 _n.jpg

The Mets have become irrelevant in New York. The wheels started to falloff in 2006 when they blew the NLCS, and then came September 2007. They have not recovered.

My Mets friends despise Citi Field and miss Shea :?:

It amazes me that after 50 seasons,the team can not attract attention north of Westchester. They have the smallest radio network in MLB ( 3 stations ) WFAN and 2 near Albany - and nothing in Connecticut or New Jersey.

The Red Sox have more stations in New York State than the Mets do.

From a PR standpoint the team is associated with Bernie Madoff which is a disaster in the NY Jewish community.

They could be a bigger mess than the Dodgers.

The real story on the back page here is that Karako is offering 2 suits for $159.99!! Oooooweee that's a deal!!

DirtySox
12-05-2011, 11:01 PM
joecapMARLINS joe capozzi
Miami #Marlins still seeking Albert Pujols, but meanwhile they might have an unhappy superstar: Hanley Ramirez.
6 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/marlins/2014239.html

thomas35forever
12-05-2011, 11:26 PM
joecapMARLINS joe capozzi
Miami #Marlins still seeking Albert Pujols, but meanwhile they might have an unhappy superstar: Hanley Ramirez.
6 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/marlins/2014239.html
If Pujols is seriously considering them, trading Ramirez might be just what they need to hammer down the deal.

cws05champ
12-05-2011, 11:40 PM
If Pujols is seriously considering them, trading Ramirez might be just what they need to hammer down the deal.
Why would Pujols want to go there if they trade Hanley....isn't that part of the allure of playing there to hit in the same lineup with Reyes, Hanley, Stanton, Morrison?

I mean, they would get a huge return for Hanley but unless they get a young ace, plus more it just doesn't make sense.

Dibbs
12-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Considering some of the contracts that have been given out over the years, this one seems like a good one to me. Definitely a much better value than some of the numbers I am hearing Buehrle can bring.