PDA

View Full Version : As it stands...

JohnTucker0814
12-02-2011, 08:28 PM
With the winter meetings fast approaching and Kenny sure to listen to offers on Quentin, Danks, Floyd, Thornton and more, I wanted to look at what our starting line-up would be as is:

C - Pierzynski / Flowers
1b - Konerko
2b - Beckham
3b - Morel
ss - Ramirez
lf - Rios / Viciedo
cf - De Aza / Rios
rf - Quentin / Viciedo
dh - Dunn / Viciedo

Potential line-up:
1. DeAza
2. Ramirez
3. Konerko
4. Quentin
5. Dunn
6. Pierzynski
7. Rios / Viciedo
8. Beckham
9. Morel

sp - Peavy
sp - Danks
sp - Floyd
sp - Sale
sp - Humber / Stewart
cl - Santos
su - Thornton
su - Frasor

It looks like we definately have the room to move Quentin if his value is high and possibly get a top tiered pitching prospect that could possibly help this year. Colorado received Chatwood for a far less hitter from Colorado. Maybe we match up with Atlanta and Jair Jurrjens???

It'll be a fun offseason, I'm happy the Ozzie/ KW drama is over. I believe we can rebuild this team to win next year. We have some very tradable pieces that should stock us with some promising young talent!

balke
12-03-2011, 12:28 PM
We have arguably the worst all-around player in baseball history at DH still. Bah humbug. Ready for a full refresh.

Bobby Thigpen
12-03-2011, 12:49 PM
We have arguably the worst all-around player in baseball history at DH still.
Overstatement of the year? The judges say- Yes!

If he were the worst all around player in baseball history, he wouldn't be in the major leagues. One horrendous year and people act like the guy's never hit a baseball in his life.

Daver
12-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Carlos Quentin has very little real value.

EMachine10
12-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Overstatement of the year? The judges say- Yes!

If he were the worst all around player in baseball history, he wouldn't be in the major leagues. One horrendous year and people act like the guy's never hit a baseball in his life.

Some people forget about the Andy Gonzalez era.

DirtySox
12-03-2011, 01:05 PM

This my opinion as well. We will see what other teams think starting Monday.

TomBradley72
12-03-2011, 03:13 PM

I think that's a little strong- he's a .250-25-80 guy with a ~.800 OPS- with some upside if he stays completely healthy- and at age 29 should have at least 3-4 more productive years before he declines.

delben91
12-03-2011, 03:16 PM

Well, all we need is one GM to disagree. I don't think that's outside the realm of possibility.

KMcMahon817
12-03-2011, 03:17 PM

hahahaha. I think the SOX could get a pretty good return for Q. I would prefer the SOX keep him however, even though I know this is unlikely. I think Q has a huge 2012, whether its in a SOX uniform or not.

russ99
12-03-2011, 06:42 PM
hahahaha. I think the SOX could get a pretty good return for Q. I would prefer the SOX keep him however, even though I know this is unlikely. I think Q has a huge 2012, whether its in a SOX uniform or not.

I think the Sox can get a decent return for Quentin, but not great.

Despite power bats being at a premium, other GMs may be scared away by his injury history, the raise he's due in arbitration and his impending free agency next offseason.

The Sox probably would have gotten a better return dealing Quentin at the deadline when he was healthy, but Kenny didn't want to sell at that point.

MARTINMVP
12-04-2011, 12:40 AM
I'm feeling real pessimistic towards this team's future. Glad the KW/Ozzie drama is over, and while I wanted Ozzie gone, I'm starting to also suspect that KW is on the verge of going bat **** crazy as well (if he hasn't already).

I think the Cubs are likely going to start doing a lot of things right in the coming years, and if the Sox continue to lose money and faulter, what does that mean for the long term health of the team?

I'm not at all anxious for the 2012 season.

Daver
12-04-2011, 02:12 AM
Well, all we need is one GM to disagree. I don't think that's outside the realm of possibility.

He's worth more to the Sox than he is to most other teams, they really don't have a replacement for him, as the only outfield position that is filled is Rios in center.

mzh
12-04-2011, 10:58 AM
He's worth more to the Sox than he is to most other teams, they really don't have a replacement for him, as the only outfield position that is filled is Rios in center.
:scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch:
http://9hop.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/vici.jpeg

FGarcia34
12-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Players I'm excited to see next season:

1) SP Chris Sale - It will be interesting to see his transition to a starting pitcher. He was very good in his bullpen role. Will his innings be limited and people compare him to Randy Johnson. He has every look to be a dominant pitcher in the league, however can he make it happen?

2) OF/DH Dayan Viciedo - It is time for him to be a big time player for us. His raw power is ridiculous and he can take the ball the other way, which is very impressive as well. But where does he play defensively. I like him as a platoon OF/DH situation.

3) C/1B Tyler Flowers - He played strong last year and has certainly earned an increased role on this ball club. AJ is flat out one of my favorite players on the Sox but his career is nearing an end. All the innings he has racked up over time, it is time for Flowers to have a larger role.

Players I am weary about:

1) DH Adam Dunn - Last year was historically miserable. I can't believe how bad he was. I wouldn't say I'm optimistic about a big turn around either. However, the money has been spent and he will be in the lineup.

2) 2B Gordon Beckham - He's so good defensively but man he looks lost up at the dish quite a bit. I'm beginning to lose faith that he has the ability to be a Pedroia or Kinsler type of player. I had that faith after his rookie season but as of right now, he just looks like your everyday second baseman.

3) SP Jake Peavy - He is continuously been a storyline for the ChiSox. He has been often injured and has yet to even pitch a full season with the Sox. It's unfortunate, but right now this looks like a bad investment. Nothing but disappointment.

Players I expect to be in another uniform:

OF Carlos Quentin
SP John Danks or Gavin Floyd
RP Matt Thornton

Kenny has a lot of work to do. The bullpen is going to need some help and our lineup is atrocious. Once again, we do not have a leadoff hitter or really anyone to build this lineup around. Paulie is a great player, but we need more than just him.

DirtySox
12-04-2011, 11:45 AM
:scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch:
http://9hop.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/vici.jpeg

Daver is not sold on the defense at all.