PDA

View Full Version : thome to be a cub in '03?

guillen4life13
07-17-2002, 05:58 PM
in the tribune this morning, there were a couple of paragraphs on the back page (white sox plus) on jim thome. in it, some close friends of thome said that if he doesn't sign with cleveland in '03, his first choice for a team to sign with would be the cubs. now how weird would that be?

Cheryl
07-17-2002, 06:01 PM
What's strange about the Cubs signing some over the hill ex-star with nothing to contribute except some homers?

Randar68
07-17-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
What's strange about the Cubs signing some over the hill ex-star with nothing to contribute except some homers?

They have Choi coming up, and I don't think signing Thome to a bug $$$ deal is the smartest thing they could do.

Jerry_Manuel
07-17-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
They have Choi coming up, and I don't think signing Thome to a bug $$$ deal is the smartest thing they could do.

I didn't see the article, but on the radio this morning they were saying that Thome might be able to play third. I'm not sure if that was said in the article or what.

guillen4life13
07-17-2002, 06:36 PM

i dunno. i just think it would be weird for the cubs to have a guy who seems to kill our team whenever we play his team. and it would just be weird to see that guy in a cub uniform. i'm too used to seeing jim thome the cleveland indian.

Daver
07-17-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13

i dunno. i just think it would be weird for the cubs to have a guy who seems to kill our team whenever we play his team. and it would just be weird to see that guy in a cub uniform. i'm too used to seeing jim thome the cleveland indian.

Peoria's own Jim Thome grew up as a Cub fan.

Mathew
07-17-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by daver

Peoria's own Jim Thome grew up as a Cub fan.

Sorry about his luck.

Cheryl
07-17-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Mathew

Sorry about his luck.

He must have been a bad person in his last life to be born a Cub fan.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-17-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

according to espn.com

The Des Moines Register reports the South Korean government could call 1B prospect Hee-Seop Choi to serve his two-year military obligation if he doesn't get called up this year. The Cubs are not happy with the report, according to the Chicago Sun-Times, but don't think it will be a problem because they're planning on calling Choi up in September.

Foulke You
07-17-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
in the tribune this morning, there were a couple of paragraphs on the back page (white sox plus) on jim thome. in it, some close friends of thome said that if he doesn't sign with cleveland in '03, his first choice for a team to sign with would be the cubs. now how weird would that be?

I don't forsee this happening but there is one thing I do know. Thome in the launching pad of Wrigley field would be a terror to opposing pitchers. He'd probably hit 60 playing there. Still, it ain't gonna happen because they've been raving about Hee Chop Suey for a long time now and they can pay him much less.

WinningUgly!
07-17-2002, 07:50 PM

He must have been a bad person in his last life to be born a Cub fan.

Is one born a sCrUB fan or is it learned?

WinningUgly!
07-17-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

I don't forsee this happening but there is one thing I do know. Thome in the launching pad of Wrigley field would be a terror to opposing pitchers. He'd probably hit 60 playing there.

Would SamME be able to handle a teammate that would be (at the very least) his equal? The egomaniac couldn't even stand Mark Grace's popularity.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-17-2002, 09:43 PM
More Flubbie Kool Aid

:chimp

"I WANT THOME!!!"

FJA
07-17-2002, 11:08 PM
Maybe this means they're getting rid of McWhiff.

nut_stock
07-18-2002, 12:06 AM
Well I never liked Thome anyway, so one more dumbass on the Northside doesn't bother me.