PDA

View Full Version : Marlins Sign Heath Bell

DirtySox
12-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
#Marlins indeed on verge of completing 3-year, $27M deal with Heath Bell, as first reported by @jaysonst #MLB
12 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

JimBowdenESPNxm JIM BOWDEN
The Marlins & Heath Bell have agreed to terms on a 3-year 27m dollar deal with a vesting option on year 4 as I said they were close to deal
6 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

SoxSpeed22
12-01-2011, 11:37 PM
This is worthy of a big splash for the Marlins.

LoveYourSuit
12-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Sounding more and more like Ozzie courting as much veteran talent as he can get. Marlins have been on talks for every big veteran name out there.

Figures.:rolleyes: The guy couldn't teach one lick here to any young talent handed to him.

WhiteSox5187
12-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Sounding more and more like Ozzie courting as much veteran talent as he can get. Marlins have been on talks for every big veteran name out there.

Figures.:rolleyes: The guy couldn't teach one lick here to any young talent handed to him.

What young talent did Ozzie have here?

cws05champ
12-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Word is they had to pay and extra $2M just so he would wear the new uniforms.

russ99
12-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Word is they had to pay and extra $2M just so he would wear the new uniforms.

LOL!

BTW - the Marlins have tons of young talent already, they need a few good veterans to push them to playoff contention in a division with the free-spending Phillies.

doublem23
12-02-2011, 11:57 AM
LOL!

BTW - the Marlins have tons of young talent already, they need a few good veterans to push them to playoff contention in a division with the free-spending Phillies.

Don't worry about them, Ozzie will make sure to send them into a career-ending death spiral at the first signs of struggle.

Chez
12-02-2011, 12:47 PM

Josh Fields and Joe Borchard.

TomBradley72
12-02-2011, 01:01 PM

GREAT talent like: Brian Anderson, Jerry Owens, Josh Fields- all who went on to have great MLB careers after leaving Ozzie.

pythons007
12-02-2011, 01:26 PM

The Marlins' have been talking about signing big time vets before getting Ozzie. They are opening a new stadium, in a new city. I'm sure they are tying to draw as many fans as possible.

You're comment on teaching young talent is a little harsh too.

Lip Man 1
12-02-2011, 01:34 PM
I think its fair to say though that Ozzie never felt comfortable having to deal with "young" players.

How often did he tell the media (paraphrasing) "The big leagues are for winning games not for teaching..."

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
12-02-2011, 04:44 PM
I think its fair to say though that Ozzie never felt comfortable having to deal with "young" players.

How often did he tell the media (paraphrasing) "The big leagues are for winning games not for teaching..."

Lip

I think Ozzie didn't want to be bothered with any kind of teaching, training, explaining, practicing, reading or studying. That's why he delegated all of that to his coaches. Not liking dealing with young players was just a by-product of his overall laziness/self satisfaction/desire to delegate.

soxfanreggie
12-03-2011, 02:17 PM
The Marlins' have been talking about signing big time vets before getting Ozzie. They are opening a new stadium, in a new city. I'm sure they are tying to draw as many fans as possible.

You're comment on teaching young talent is a little harsh too.

You're right; we all knew these "splashes" were coming. Part of why their name is linked to every big name out there is that they want to use that as a draw for other top talent. This signing shows they are willing to put their money where their mouth is. I don't think you'll see them spending $50 million more than last year, but jumping their payroll to $80-90 million would mean they're spending $20-30 million more than last year.

However, they do owe bumps to some guys (just listing the ones over $1 million): Ramirez jumps up by $4 million; Johnson $6 million; Nolasco $3 million; Buck $1.5 million; Infante $1.5 million: totaling at least $16 million. They also have to re-sign a lot of guys at higher wages than last year, so that will eat up more. Add in Bell, and you're looking seeing $80 million real quick, especially if its $9M per year.

If they're willing to jump it up to $100 million, then you're talking about adding one or two really good player to the mix - perhaps a superstar or two solid players, like a Burls and another guy.

The good news for them; the payroll won't jump up really big in 2013 like it did this year because Ramirez and Johnson won't see additional salary bumps then.

The big thing for the Marlins is be competitive and win this year and generate the revenue to jump their payroll up another $5-10 million and so on.

roylestillman
12-05-2011, 03:55 PM
The introduction of Heath Bell press conference is on right now. It confirms that the Marlins new uniform and especially the cap is the ugliest in decades.

I'm starting to get a sense that given the dollars that are flying, the Marlins story is not going to end happily.

DSpivack
12-05-2011, 08:47 PM
The introduction of Heath Bell press conference is on right now. It confirms that the Marlins new uniform and especially the cap is the ugliest in decades.

I'm starting to get a sense that given the dollars that are flying, the Marlins story is not going to end happily.

I suspect you are right (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7318895/securities-exchange-commission-probing-financing-new-miami-marlins-stadium).

guillensdisciple
12-05-2011, 11:58 PM
This is a really good signing- one more good one by the Marlins should catapult them into contention next year. Will be a difficult team to play at the very least.