PDA

View Full Version : Hey Cubs, which is it?

JC456
12-01-2011, 11:30 AM
So the Cubs hire Theo Epstein who says the policies of the past must be stopped in order to move forward with success. So he has this algorithym that he believes he invented in order to procure players and build the farm system. Over buying for high profile players is over. He will focus on building the farm team. Then I hear on the radio last night that the Cubs are interested in both Fielder and Pujols. So which is it?

I'm so tired of the Cubs feeling the need to be on the sports talk. They are obsessed with hearing their club on the news. Well this is one White Sox fan who is quite tired of all the free press. All these media folks who are Cub fans who just want to talk about their team. Fine go talk about them, just not on my TV. It is Bear season, let's talk about them, how about the Hawks. My god man, enough with the flippin Cubs already!

BTW, do the Cubs know the GM for the Cardinals now has two world series rings, maybe they can bring him in too so they can win one! LOL!!!!

spawn
12-01-2011, 11:49 AM
If you're so tired of them, why did you start a thread about them? :scratch:

JC456
12-01-2011, 12:12 PM
If you're so tired of them, why did you start a thread about them? :scratch:
To find out if anyone else was! Isn't that generally happens on here? you post looking for a discussion!

kittle42
12-01-2011, 12:19 PM
To find out if anyone else was! Isn't that generally happens on here? you post looking for a discussion!

Aren't most of us over this already? Theo got the back pages for a week+, as should be expected. There is zero Sox news. The Cubs are back there with the Hawks and whatever after extensive Bears coverage.

spawn
12-01-2011, 12:42 PM

Just interesting that you want to talk about a team you're tired of everyone talking about. But, hey, you're free to discuss them I guess. :shrug:

cws05champ
12-01-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't see the Cubs signing Pujols, but that doesn't mean they can't drive up the bidding so their main rival has to shell out more to a guy that they had no intention of really signing. Theo did this last year with Mariano Rivera....it's gamesmanship, nothing more. End of story.

SI1020
12-01-2011, 03:23 PM
What is a message board for if not to vent? I warned about a new wave of Cubbie love in the local and national sports media. It will only get worse. Wait until the Cubs have their first three game winning streak.

DSpivack
12-01-2011, 03:46 PM
BTW, the Cardinals GM hasn't won 2 World Series titles; Jocketty won one then left for Cincinnati, Mozeliak has been GM for 4 years now.

PalehosePlanet
12-02-2011, 01:43 AM
I don't see the Cubs signing Pujols, but that doesn't mean they can't drive up the bidding so their main rival has to shell out more to a guy that they had no intention of really signing. Theo did this last year with Mariano Rivera....it's gamesmanship, nothing more. End of story.

And had it done to him by The Yankees in the case of Carl Crawford.

DumpJerry
12-02-2011, 07:46 AM
So the Cubs hire Theo Epstein who says the policies of the past must be stopped in order to move forward with success. So he has this algorithym that he believes he invented in order to procure players and build the farm system. Over buying for high profile players is over. He will focus on building the farm team. Then I hear on the radio last night that the Cubs are interested in both Fielder and Pujols. So which is it?

I'm so tired of the Cubs feeling the need to be on the sports talk. They are obsessed with hearing their club on the news. Well this is one White Sox fan who is quite tired of all the free press. All these media folks who are Cub fans who just want to talk about their team. Fine go talk about them, just not on my TV. It is Bear season, let's talk about them, how about the Hawks. My god man, enough with the flippin Cubs already!

BTW, do the Cubs know the GM for the Cardinals now has two world series rings, maybe they can bring him in too so they can win one! LOL!!!!
First of all, what is the source of the rumor they are pursuing Fielder and Pujols? I'm guessing it is not the Cubs since that is a violation of the rules. Borass took advantage of this rule when he soaked the Rangers for extra $$$ for A-Rod. Teams cannot comment on what free agents they are actively pursuing or the proposed terms put on the table. Nothing prevents an agent from hinting that someone else is also interested in his guy which is what Borass told the Rangers even though it was a lie.

Second, welcome to the Hot Stove League. This is an annual occurrence which takes place during the baseball offseason. The media will report every hint of rumored acquisitions. Just the other day, I heard on the radio that Konerko, Quentin and Pierzynski were mere days from being traded. This is the talk on the radio during the offseason. Since there are two baseball teams in the Chicago radio market, you're going to hear about rumors involving both teams. Happens every year.

Bob Roarman
12-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Get another TV.

JC456
12-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Get another TV.
The problem with that is, it will get the same channels!

g0g0
12-02-2011, 09:50 AM
1. You are in IL so you might hear about the Cubs. Maybe move to another state?

2. The Cubs might be interested in Pujols/Fielder now that the CBA has changed and you won't be able to spend the same way with the farm system as you did before.

3. Isn't sports talk dictated by the show hosts and fans?? If they are talking about Cubs stuff, then people are interested in it. There have been a lot of changes with the Cubs this off-season. Not so much with the White Sox besides Ozzie leaving.

JC456
12-02-2011, 09:56 AM
So my question was actually a discussion on the morning show this morning on WSCR670. Tom Rickets was on and Hanley spoke into the which is it, giving ideas on how to get either Fielder or Pujols by discussing how to get rid of the 19 mil for Zambrano. Then Hanley gives Epstein the credit for causing the changes to the MLB CBA adjustments for draft spending thwarting Epstein's ideas. Then I turned the station.

And I expect the talk of World Series rings will be abundant in cubbie world! They are the greatest team, with the greatest players, fans, owners, everything that is cubbies are better than all other teams. LOL.

TomBradley72
12-02-2011, 09:58 AM
It's not like KW and the White Sox are giving the media anything exciting to talk about- other than unloading Danks, Thornton and Quentin and not re-signing Buehrle thanks to the $51M worth of crap we're stuck with on our payroll (Dunn, Rios, Peavy and AJ). And now the "architect" of our future is the same guy that created the mess and has shown zero ability to develop a farm system in 10+ years. There's an article in this morning's Sun Times- very depressing.

Chicago is a very baseball hungry town- when we traded for Thome or made other big moves we received plenty of attention- the Bulls aren't playing, the Bears without Cutler and competing with an unbeaten Packers team aren't that much of a story anymore- and as much as I love the Hawks- they will never dominate the media until the playoffs start- if then.

TomBradley72
12-02-2011, 10:08 AM
So my question was actually a discussion on the morning show this morning on WSCR670. Tom Rickets was on and Hanley spoke into the which is it, giving ideas on how to get either Fielder or Pujols by discussing how to get rid of the 19 mil for Zambrano. Then Hanley gives Epstein the credit for causing the changes to the MLB CBA adjustments for draft spending thwarting Epstein's ideas. Then I turned the station.

And I expect the talk of World Series rings will be abundant in cubbie world! They are the greatest team, with the greatest players, fans, owners, everything that is cubbies are better than all other teams. LOL.

Probably just depressed after the reading the Sun Times article this morning- but right now I'd take the Cubs executive/management team over ours. I have zero faith that KW is the right guy to turn this around, the minor league system is a disaster, our Latin America strategy is a joke, and our major league roster is clogged with huge, untradeable contracts- anything can happen baseball- and Dunn/Rios/Peavy could turn it around next year- but if the Sox gut the roster around them- it won't matter.

I would expect that season ticket renewals will go down, preseason ticket sales will be low- people will know they can get a lower bowl ticket as a walk up- we'll be seeing April/May attendance figures in the 12,000-15,000 range- KW and JR will restate their revenue challenges and the downward spiral will continue.

doublem23
12-02-2011, 10:17 AM
The real news of this thread is that people still apparently read the Sun-Times

DumpJerry
12-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Probably just depressed after the reading the Sun Times article this morning- but right now I'd take the Cubs executive/management team over ours. I have zero faith that KW is the right guy to turn this around, the minor league system is a disaster, our Latin America strategy is a joke, and our major league roster is clogged with huge, untradeable contracts- anything can happen baseball- and Dunn/Rios/Peavy could turn it around next year- but if the Sox gut the roster around them- it won't matter.

I would expect that season ticket renewals will go down, preseason ticket sales will be low- people will know they can get a lower bowl ticket as a walk up- we'll be seeing April/May attendance figures in the 12,000-15,000 range- KW and JR will restate their revenue challenges and the downward spiral will continue.

The real news of this thread is that people still apparently read the Sun-Times
Amen to doub's post. Cub fans are still thinking Theo has some sort of proven track record for making bad teams good. The only team he has had control over was a pretty good team when he got it and it was tweaked to a slightly higher level. Taking over the Cubs is not the same as taking over the 93 win Red Sox. I did not see the Sun-Times sports page today (I check the regular news on their website), so I did not see the picture of Ricketts being handed the Commissioner's Trophy by Selig after that Game Four win over the Yankees last night to sweep to a World Series title.

TomBradley72
12-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Amen to doub's post. Cub fans are still thinking Theo has some sort of proven track record for making bad teams good. The only team he has had control over was a pretty good team when he got it and it was tweaked to a slightly higher level. Taking over the Cubs is not the same as taking over the 93 win Red Sox. I did not see the Sun-Times sports page today (I check the regular news on their website), so I did not see the picture of Ricketts being handed the Commissioner's Trophy by Selig after that Game Four win over the Yankees last night to sweep to a World Series title.

Not so much how great the Cubs management is/will be- but also the contrast with how depressing the outlook is for our team.

The Sun Times article I'm referencing refers to the reports the White Sox are shopping Danks, Thornton and Quentin along with Buehrle's requirement of a 3 years deal/with a no trade to even discuss an offer.

Setting up a rotation of Peavy/Floyd/Sale/Humber/Stewart- and a bullpen with Ohman as our only lefty along with an outfield of Viciedo/De Aza/Rios- I'm sure the Tigers are getting nervous. Ventura should call Jeff Torborg or Jerry Manuel to get tips on managing crap rosters for a few years.

doublem23
12-02-2011, 01:55 PM
The Sun Times article I'm referencing refers to the reports the White Sox are shopping Danks, Thornton and Quentin along with Buehrle's requirement of a 3 years deal/with a no trade to even discuss an offer.

That article was penned by our friend Joe Cowley who has a notorious axe to grind with KW and is, no doubt, writing about the absolute worst-case scenario with the Sox. KW is shopping some of the Sox's most tradeable assets? When the hell has he not done that in his tenure here? Most reports say that KW has a steep asking price for some of his most valuable players, which is the way it should be. What's wrong with that scenario? What Sox fan wouldn't welcome a deal for Quentin and Danks if it involved some highly sought-after prospects from the Rangers or Braves? He's not shopping these guys for dog ****.

KW could come out tomorrow announcing a new contract for Buehrle, and that the Sox have signed Prince Fielder and traded away Adam Dunn and Alex Rios, and he'd probably write a page-long report on how players like Prince Fielder are notorious for breaking down early. Oh, and then he'd remind us that Ozzie is the smartest manager to ever manage. It is what it is. Cowley and his editors aren't looking for any sort of insight, they're just trying to write the most sensational BS they can so a lot of people talk about it on message boards and blogs and then they can jack up the pageviews in an otherwise 3rd-grade quality newspaper.

DumpJerry
12-02-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm pretty sure the Sox are shopping all of those guys-most of them are heading into contract years, so you want to get something of value for them. However, shopping does not mean all of them will get traded. You also are getting depressed without knowing what the Sox would get in return for them.

TomBradley72
12-02-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm pretty sure the Sox are shopping all of those guys-most of them are heading into contract years, so you want to get something of value for them. However, shopping does not mean all of them will get traded. You also are getting depressed without knowing what the Sox would get in return for them.

True enough- I'm Ok with the moves and rebuilding for the longer term- I'm always OK with rebuilding when the time is right-

JC456
12-05-2011, 01:11 PM
So the Cubs signed David Dejesus. Again a move that isn't in line with anything the original story had in it! The Cubs still need to get the Soriano issue out of their locker room. Good luck with that. I heard Rickets state he is not eating the 19 mil on Zambrano, so that still is an issue. They don't have much starting pitching, and the stories in the papers and on the air waves is the Cubs are great! At least I'm interpreting that way! Theo Epstein had a completely different team in Boston, duh! He is now not following what he laid out in his press conference and that is all I'm saying. KW and the Sox have a WS with him as GM so, please don't mistake no WS wins with one. And as I saw on here, I haven't seen Theo Epstein take a trophy with a Cub hat on yet!

DumpJerry
12-05-2011, 10:02 PM
So the Cubs signed David Dejesus. Again a move that isn't in line with anything the original story had in it! The Cubs still need to get the Soriano issue out of their locker room. Good luck with that. I heard Rickets state he is not eating the 19 mil on Zambrano, so that still is an issue. They don't have much starting pitching, and the stories in the papers and on the air waves is the Cubs are great! At least I'm interpreting that way! Theo Epstein had a completely different team in Boston, duh! He is now not following what he laid out in his press conference and that is all I'm saying. KW and the Sox have a WS with him as GM so, please don't mistake no WS wins with one. And as I saw on here, I haven't seen Theo Epstein take a trophy with a Cub hat on yet!
I'm getting the impression that you're not going to be happy with any move the Cubs make this offseason. Maybe I'm misreading you. :shrug:

JC456
12-07-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm getting the impression that you're not going to be happy with any move the Cubs make this offseason. Maybe I'm misreading you. :shrug:
So I gather by your comment you think I'm a Cub fan. LOL. Nope, I'm tired of their need to be on TV or radio everyday, so they contradict themselves everytime they get air time. So, Which is it? Are they the new wave team with Theo Epstein that we all had to hear about for two weeks or, are they the same old Jim Hendry team. If they are Hendry oriented, then none of the mumbo jumbo means anything about the smarts of one Theo Epstein. And good for them those losers! I think Tom Ricketts has been on about every channel he can get on, and shoot, with the whole Ron Santo HOF thing, they can't get off the air! Argh!!!!

DumpJerry
12-07-2011, 03:16 PM
So I gather by your comment you think I'm a Cub fan. LOL. Nope, I'm tired of their need to be on TV or radio everyday, so they contradict themselves everytime they get air time. So, Which is it? Are they the new wave team with Theo Epstein that we all had to hear about for two weeks or, are they the same old Jim Hendry team. If they are Hendry oriented, then none of the mumbo jumbo means anything about the smarts of one Theo Epstein. And good for them those losers! I think Tom Ricketts has been on about every channel he can get on, and shoot, with the whole Ron Santo HOF thing, they can't get off the air! Argh!!!!
Nope, I don't get the impression you're a Cub fan (if you were, you'd be happy, happy, happy, happy all the time). I just don't get why you're so bothered by the mixed signals coming from The Savior. As a Sox fan, I could not care at all what their short-term or long-term plans are. Also, as a Sox fan, I'm used to a GM saying one thing and then the next day doing the opposite.