PDA

View Full Version : Annual Charity Blowout Sale

ohiosoxfan
11-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Anyone ever go to this? Is it chaos? Are the prices out this world?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111129&content_id=26055468&vkey=pr_cws&c_id=cws

amsteel
11-30-2011, 04:12 PM
The game used stuff is way overpriced, and some regular merch is 10%-20% off. Its worth it just to see the clubhouses.

MeteorsSox4367
11-30-2011, 04:16 PM
The game used stuff is way overpriced, and some regular merch is 10%-20% off. Its worth it just to see the clubhouses.

Agreed. In the past, I've picked up a green Buehrle St. Patrick's Day t-shirt and some other smaller stuff, but the game-used stuff is much too expensive for my budget.

And, yeah, it is way cool being in the clubhouses.

ChiSoxGirl
11-30-2011, 08:40 PM
This used to be a three-day event....

BainesHOF
12-02-2011, 02:16 AM
This used to be a three-day event....

Yeah, I don't know what to make of that. The event hasn't been that great in the past. The game-used stuff was very limited. It was basically a smattering of leftover stuff from the Garage Sales.

Maybe they'll be better deals on regular apparel that they want to clear out now that the new store has opened.

Or maybe it'll be the same as in recent years, but just one day.

Brian26
12-03-2011, 05:05 PM
This was an interesting event. The Sox did a good job.

The Sox let everyone enter through the Sports Depot shop (which is absolutely amazing), and then you crossed over to the lower level and down a maze of stairs to the Clubhouse area. It was fun to see the field during the winter but really eerie walking down the absolutely deserted concourse.

For $25, you could fill up a bag to the top with various stuff. I probably grabbed about 25 items, so at a buck a piece it was worth it, especially since the money goes to White Sox Charities. They also had smaller bags for $10.

Haul:
2011 White Sox Yearbook
2009 Sox Program Vol 3 (Buehrle)
2010 Sox Program Vol 2 (PK)
2011 Sox Program Vol 1 (Dunn)
2011 Sox Program Vol 2 (Alexei)
2011 Sox Media Guide
2004 Sox Media Guide (completes my run from 2000-2011)
Out of the Blue 2005 cd
1993 Sox Good Guys Wear Black Championship video (VHS)
(2) Thome 500th HR cards
(2) Konerko 2000th Hit posters
The Grinder Rules World Series poster
Pablo Ozuna signed/authenticated ball
Cliff Politte signed/authenticated ball
Brandon McCarthy signed/authenticated ball
Ryan Sweeney signed/authenticated ball
(2) authenticated game used balls (will have to look them up on MLB site)
Jose Contreras signed & authenticated 8 x10
Bartolo Colon signed & authenticated 8 x 10
Konerko unsigned 8 x 10
(2) Neal Cotts signed 8 x 10's
(2) Thome 500th HR photos
(2) Sox World Series wristbands
Back to School Sox Kids t-shirt
Nancy Faust bobblehead
2011 Sox team poster
And the Buehrle Perfect Game Sports Illustrated 11" x 17" poster (last one they had, so it's not in the best condition).

soxfanreggie
12-04-2011, 12:09 AM
That's quite the haul Brian. Glad you had a great time! Did anyone else take advantage of that nice deal?

BainesHOF
12-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Lots of quality, game-used items were available at reasonable prices in the home clubhouse. Incredibly, even some items from 2005. I picked up a Carl Everett Turn-Back-The-Clock 1959 helmet that was autographed for a mere $75, along with an Omar Vizquel cap, perhaps his last cap ever, for $100. That's a great price for a future Hall of Famer. A friend bought Aaron Roward's 2005 green helmet and autographed cap. Bats were in abundance and more reasonably-priced than normal.

As Brian wrote, the visitors clubhouse was a bargain bonaza. I'm sure the biggest hauls occurred early, but I still made out great after walking in about 90 minutes into the sale. Incredibly, early birds were allowed to bag as many as 10 game-used balls and 10 autographed photos. (If you looked hard enough, you could find autographed photos of Thome, Dye and Iguchi. There was even one containing about 12 autos from old-timers on a photo from a Soxfest gathering.) While I was in there it was announced that the limit was cut in half, still an amazing deal, along with all of the other items that were available. Other baggable items included World Series press pins and, for a short time, Frank Thomas giveaway statues.

I'm assuming the Sox got rid of a lot of their extra stuff. If they have such a sale again, I'm guessing that it will never be like this one.

amsteel
12-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Wow, this sounds better than previous years, I'm bummed I was outta town.

soxfanreggie
12-07-2011, 12:02 AM
I'm assuming the Sox got rid of a lot of their extra stuff. If they have such a sale again, I'm guessing that it will never be like this one.

You would be surprised how quickly teams/athletic departments gather stuff; how desks get cleaned out from staff turnover; how a random box gets found with a TON of stuff. They'll have a big sale again. Maybe not next year, but I bet in the next few years.