PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie featured in this month's edition of ESPN the Magazine

doublem23
11-30-2011, 12:34 PM
They have some choice cuts online right now, including Ozzie talking about the Sox, his relationship with KW, and how he doesn't like the DH

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7297708/mlb-manager-ozzie-guillen-throwing-helmets-saying-feels-building-miami-marlins

Brian26
11-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Typical contradictory, all-over-the-highway stuff from Ozzie. I think one of his quotes is something like, "just give me 25 players to work with, I don't care who they are."

Oh, ok. So, the entire Thome vs. Kotsay debate was a waste of time then?

Boondock Saint
11-30-2011, 08:08 PM
I didn't even get a single word into the article.

That dog's tongue is ALL UP IN HIS MOUTH.

GoGoCrede
11-30-2011, 08:18 PM

AUGHHH. I literally recoiled in horror. I'm all for loving pets, but that's a bit too much for me (mileage may vary for others, obviously).

Frater Perdurabo
11-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Serious, honest, earnest question: at what point do Ozzie threads belong in Talking Baseball, and not in the Clubhouse?

#1swisher
11-30-2011, 09:02 PM
White Sox made the right decision. :smile:

spawn
11-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Serious, honest, earnest question: at what point do Ozzie threads belong in Talking Baseball, and not in the Clubhouse?
I was thinking more along the lines of Ozzie threads going to the Roadhouse...

DrCrawdad
11-30-2011, 09:21 PM

That is gross. What was that dog doing sticking it's tongue in that vile place.

A. Cavatica
11-30-2011, 09:46 PM

Make it so.

DirtySox
11-30-2011, 09:48 PM

Nice.

thomas35forever
11-30-2011, 09:51 PM

Oh shoot. I didn't even notice that when I first clicked it. Yeah, that's gross.

DrCrawdad
11-30-2011, 09:59 PM
Nice.

That photo begs for a Caption This discussion here.

palehozenychicty
11-30-2011, 10:44 PM
More of just Oz being Oz.

Frater Perdurabo
12-01-2011, 06:05 AM

Like!

russ99
12-01-2011, 08:52 AM
More of just Oz being Oz.

Yup, pretty much the same as other interviews.

I did have to laugh about the DH comment. That's a pretty blunt picture of Dunn painted there...

russ99
12-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Typical contradictory, all-over-the-highway stuff from Ozzie. I think one of his quotes is something like, "just give me 25 players to work with, I don't care who they are."

Oh, ok. So, the entire Thome vs. Kotsay debate was a waste of time then?

The Thome vs. Kotsay deal was all Kenny. Kenny signed Kotsay in November, and wouldn't bring in a DH through January, when guys like Vlad Guerrero were signing cheap.

Then instead of doing his job as GM, he punts the issue to Ozzie at Soxfest. Blame Ozzie if you want, but that was 90% Kenny.

Rocky Soprano
12-01-2011, 09:13 AM
The Thome vs. Kotsay deal was all Kenny. Kenny signed Kotsay in November, and wouldn't bring in a DH through January, when guys like Vlad Guerrero were signing cheap.

Then instead of doing his job as GM, he punts the issue to Ozzie at Soxfest. Blame Ozzie if you want, but that was 90% Kenny.

:rolleyes:

Ozzie did NOT want Thome on the team. Period.
Ozzie wanted a DH by comittee.
It was 100% Ozzie.

spawn
12-01-2011, 09:13 AM

Your Ozzie love will never end, will it? Thome wanted to return, but Ozzie decided he didn't want him because he couldn't play in the field. This 90% KW crap over those two is just that...crap. Yes, KW has made his fair share of mistakes, but to put this almost entirely at his feet is ****ing ridiculous.

GoGoCrede
12-01-2011, 09:47 AM

Ha! :thumbsup:

TomBradley72
12-01-2011, 09:49 AM
If the "real" Ozzie was the sames as the Ozzie that Ozzie promotes to the media- I'd still like him as a manager- but after watching the way he handled Dunn, Rios-and the overall poor fundamental play of this team the past few years- his tough talk about "playing the game the right way" seems like complete bull****.

peelwonder
12-01-2011, 09:52 AM

Of course....Ozzie can never do wrong in your eye's can he?

russ99
12-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Your Ozzie love will never end, will it? Thome wanted to return, but Ozzie decided he didn't want him because he couldn't play in the field. This 90% KW crap over those two is just that...crap. Yes, KW has made his fair share of mistakes, but to put this almost entirely at his feet is ****ing ridiculous.

Fine, that's your opinion. Mine is that Kenny could have and should have addressed the situation well before the mess that was SoxFest. And yes, Ozzie made the wrong move at that time, but he shouldn't have been deciding on personnel moves.

TomBradley72
12-01-2011, 10:01 AM

The DH by committee was a good idea-especially with Thome aging and basically losing the ability to hit lefties.

BUT- the "committee" should have been Thome(he signed for $1.5M that year) vs. RHs instead of Kotsay and Konerko/Rios, etc. rotating through the role vs. LHs.

They then go out and spend $4M on Manny Ramirez- so they spent almost $5M dollars on Kotsay/Ramirez when they could have had Thome (and kept him from the Twins) for less than half that- one of the big blunders of the past few years by KW/Ozzie.

Martinigirl
12-01-2011, 10:26 AM
I will not miss him, and his constant need to be the focus of the team, at all. Nor will i miss his media whore, talentless son.

tstrike2000
12-01-2011, 10:38 AM
From moron kids, to pissing on statues, to bad managing, to unprofessional rants, to mouth kissing dogs....thankfully, he gone.

Risk
12-01-2011, 11:21 AM
From moron kids, to pissing on statues, to bad managing, to unprofessional rants, to mouth kissing dogs....thankfully, he gone.

QFT

Risk

Konerko05
12-01-2011, 12:48 PM
For being such a "quote machine," Ozzie sure recycles the same lines enough in every interview.

SI1020
12-01-2011, 02:51 PM
The DH by committee was a good idea-especially with Thome aging and basically losing the ability to hit lefties.

BUT- the "committee" should have been Thome(he signed for $1.5M that year) vs. RHs instead of Kotsay and Konerko/Rios, etc. rotating through the role vs. LHs.

They then go out and spend $4M on Manny Ramirez- so they spent almost $5M dollars on Kotsay/Ramirez when they could have had Thome (and kept him from the Twins) for less than half that- one of the big blunders of the past few years by KW/Ozzie. I was reading with interest until you got to the highlighted part.

Frontman
12-09-2011, 02:49 PM

Oh come on now. Ozzie wanted the "small ball" and play the field DH rotation. Problem is that national league style of play doesn't work in the american league. Kenny might be at fault for a good number of things; but it was Ozzie who wanted "guys with gloves."

And as much as you all got sick at seeing the ESPN cover; imagine being a mail carrier and seeing it 20 times a day for a few days while delivering.

Almost got sick in my truck a few times. :)

Frater Perdurabo
12-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Oh come on now. Ozzie wanted the "small ball" and play the field DH rotation. Problem is that national league style of play doesn't work in the american league. Kenny might be at fault for a good number of things; but it was Ozzie who wanted "guys with gloves."

Rotating your DH works if you have more position players who can field well and hit well than you have positions (Texas Rangers). It doesn't work when you rotate bench players into the starting lineup (Kotsay).

Frontman
12-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Rotating your DH works if you have more position players who can field well and hit well than you have positions (Texas Rangers). It doesn't work when you rotate bench players into the starting lineup (Kotsay).

Exactly. National League teams are built with more depth on bench/position players to do double switches and what not when it comes to hitting for the pitcher.

A rotating DH has to have some SOLID players as a core to work, not just one slugger and a bunch of bench guys to fill in when the guy is struggling.

ktssox
12-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Exactly. National League teams are built with more depth on bench/position players to do double switches and what not when it comes to hitting for the pitcher.

A rotating DH has to have some SOLID players as a core to work, not just one slugger and a bunch of bench guys to fill in when the guy is struggling.

Exactly. That's what Ozzie was asking for, and that's why people blame Kenny. The idea can work, but the GM has to get the right players.

Frater Perdurabo
12-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Exactly. That's what Ozzie was asking for, and that's why people blame Kenny. The idea can work, but the GM has to get the right players.

Ozzie said he couldn't find at bats for Thome. He said he thought re-signing Kotsay was a great move. In retrospect, KW should have fired Guillen then for saying something so incomprehensibly stupid, signed Thome, and then hired a different manager.

If so, the Sox probably would have won the division in 2010 and been closer to Detroit in 2011. We wouldn't be saddled with Dunn's contract, and could have resigned Buehrle before he became a free agent.

Frontman
12-10-2011, 03:23 PM

No, Ozzie wanted guys like Kotsay, and Lillibridge, and other "scrappy" style players. Yes, anyone would kill for what the Rangers have right now; but we didn't get anywhere near close to that. For crying out loud, Ozzie thought DeWayne Wise was the CF of the future for the White Sox.

Both men had their share of blame on how bad the team has become; but this one isn't all on Kenny. The majority of it is on Ozzie; as Kenny got him the team he wanted.

doublem23
12-10-2011, 03:36 PM

It's kind of a give and take, though. Except for the Yankees, most teams aren't able to just go and buy every kind of player they want. There's a reason why Mark Kotsay was much more productive for the Brewers than he was for the Sox... Since he had 100 less plate appearances for them than the '10 Sox.

ktssox
12-11-2011, 11:19 AM
No, Ozzie wanted guys like Kotsay, and Lillibridge, and other "scrappy" style players. Yes, anyone would kill for what the Rangers have right now; but we didn't get anywhere near close to that. For crying out loud, Ozzie thought DeWayne Wise was the CF of the future for the White Sox.

Both men had their share of blame on how bad the team has become; but this one isn't all on Kenny. The majority of it is on Ozzie; as Kenny got him the team he wanted.

Well, I'm of the opinion that Ozzie didn't want glorified bench players like Kotsay and Lillibridge; he just didn't want guys like Thome. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't want guys like Thome either - slow, lumbering, hit-into-the-damn-shift guys. In theory what Ozzie wanted made sense. What's wrong with Paulie playing DH a day or two a week? Or Quentin? Or even Pierre? Everyone plays the field, but everyone also gets rest. Plus, you get enough guys that aren't always trying to smash the ball into the seats, who can actually run, and runs may materialize.

I realize that when you have salary restrictions it's difficult to fill the bench roles with superstars. It's nearly impossible to build a team in which every role is filled with greatness, but I think you can create an above-average team Ozzie-style. You say Ozzie got what he wanted. I say Ozzie got Andruw Jones, Mark Kotsay and Mark Teahan (3 years?!?). Now, perhaps in order for this idea to work within the salary restrictions, you'd have to rebuild the whole team (not really possible), but I say Kenny goes "all in" when he's getting what he wants and half-in when he's trying it someone else's way.

But none of this really matters anymore. Ozzie's gone, and we have to take what Kenny gives us.

Sox
12-11-2011, 09:24 PM

:thumbsup: