PDA

View Full Version : Yonder Alonso???

JohnTucker0814
11-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Reds are shopping Yonder Alonso... should the white sox throw their hat into the ring?

Danks for Alonso

Floyd/Thornton for Alonso

Any of these intrigue the Reds enough???

DirtySox
11-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Floyd and Thornton is probably too much. Yonder is an awful awful LF though, and is truly a 1B/DH in the long run. The Reds had him learning a corner OF position because he's blocked by Votto. Here he would be blocked by Paulie and Dunn I suppose. If the Sox wanted to keep him in LF, the defense from both corner OF positions would be wretched. Their hitting production could be mighty fine though.

SoxSpeed22
11-25-2011, 02:30 PM
I would take that chance only if the Sox trade Konerko first. He's the type of young, cheap talent they can build an offense around. It's possible to do that in a 3 way trade, where the Sox trade Konerko somewhere.

DumpJerry
11-25-2011, 03:32 PM
I would take that chance only if the Sox trade Konerko first. He's the type of young, cheap talent they can build an offense around. It's possible to do that in a 3 way trade, where the Sox trade Konerko somewhere.
Konerko is a 5/10 player. Also, De Aza will be fine in LF and at lead off.

JohnTucker0814
11-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Konerko is a 5/10 player. Also, De Aza will be fine in LF and at lead off.

Maybe we can flip Konerko to Arizona for a top prospect. Konerko may not want to go through a re-building phase and Arizona is in need of some veteran leadership.

Kenerko - Skaggs
Danks - Alonso

Sign me up!!!

SoxSpeed22
11-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Paulie was complaining about finishing 2nd before, I don't know how he would feel about finishing last. At this point in his career, Kenny and Jerry should just ask him what he wants to do and go with it. I don't think Arizona would work, since Goldschmidt played pretty well for them. If the Rangers want to replace Moreland, then that could work since they will have the money for him. The Angels would make the most sense, but thanks to quite a few bad contracts, they don't have the money for him.
I always figured De Aza would be playing center for us next year.

cws05champ
11-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Paulie was complaining about finishing 2nd before, I don't know how he would feel about finishing last. At this point in his career, Kenny and Jerry should just ask him what he wants to do and go with it. I don't think Arizona would work, since Goldschmidt played pretty well for them. If the Rangers want to replace Moreland, then that could work since they will have the money for him. The Angels would make the most sense, but thanks to quite a few bad contracts, they don't have the money for him.
I always figured De Aza would be playing center for us next year.

Not to mention that Konerko was claimed by Arizona off waivers this year. When the Sox tried to work out a deal they asked for Goldschmidt and Arizona promptly said no. No way Arizona is trading Skaggs for Konerko.

The Nationals could be a spot for Konerko with them hoping to start to win in the next 2 years, and with some prospects to trade. But again, would he waive his no trade clause?

As for Alonso, great potential but too similar of a player to what we already have (Dunn, Viciedo, TCQ, Konerko)....just doesn't seem to fit here.

Domeshot17
11-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Square Peg Round Hole.

The Sox are set with 1b/DH/Corner OF Types. They need a 3b and a 2b and the answer is NOT moving Dayan back to 3rd.

DumpJerry
11-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Square Peg Round Hole.

The Sox are set with 1b/DH/Corner OF Types. They need a 3b and a 2b and the answer is NOT moving Dayan back to 3rd.
The Sox are set in the infield. Viciedo will play RF after TCQ is traded. Then all nine positions are set.

The only question marks are the pitching staff and bench. Bench is a question mark for all teams every offseason, by the way.

Frater Perdurabo
11-26-2011, 09:44 AM

Actually, they need young, good starting pitching. Morel and Beckham are fine.

SI1020
11-26-2011, 09:51 AM
I enjoyed watching the video of Alonso turning a single into an inside the park home run in Wrigley Field.

EMachine10
11-26-2011, 10:27 AM
I like Alonso's bat, and thought we'd take either him or Smoak in the Beckham draft, but he's not really a fit here (for a few reasons mentioned above). I also don't see the domino effect of trading Konerko to acquire Alonso happening.

DumpJerry
11-26-2011, 11:15 AM
I am constantly mystified as why some people think Paulie can be easily traded.

Oh well. It's the offseason-the time of year when anything and everything is possible and will happen. Heck, for the past 50 Februarys, the Cubs have won the World Series that month.

Domeshot17
11-26-2011, 02:32 PM
The Sox are set in the infield. Viciedo will play RF after TCQ is traded. Then all nine positions are set.

The only question marks are the pitching staff and bench. Bench is a question mark for all teams every offseason, by the way.

Being Set and being good are 2 totally different things. Quentin is more of a building block than Gordon or Morel

Actually, they need young, good starting pitching. Morel and Beckham are fine.

I don't know how anyone can say that and believe it. They are solid defensive players, but you have to be offensive and defensive minded in the pros. Gordon is a career .249 hitter with a career .704 OPS. Morel was dreadful at the plate last year. Gordon has 33 homers over 1300 + major league at bats. The days of him being a top prospect are long gone. He basically had an identical stat line to freaking Rios last year.

The idea you build around Gordon Beckham is basically saying you would build around Alex Rios.

russ99
11-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Being Set and being good are 2 totally different things. Quentin is more of a building block than Gordon or Morel

I don't know how anyone can say that and believe it. They are solid defensive players, but you have to be offensive and defensive minded in the pros. Gordon is a career .249 hitter with a career .704 OPS. Morel was dreadful at the plate last year. Gordon has 33 homers over 1300 + major league at bats. The days of him being a top prospect are long gone. He basically had an identical stat line to freaking Rios last year.

The idea you build around Gordon Beckham is basically saying you would build around Alex Rios.

Give the kids some time, especially with a new hitting coach. It seems obvious that Walker didn't do the best job with Beckham.

Also, while Quentin may be a better building block, his proclivity for hitting homers will price him well out of the Sox' range when he's a FA next offseason, not to mention how injury prone the guy is. So this is the perfect time to get something of value for him.

DirtySox
11-26-2011, 08:44 PM
In Phil Rogers latest whispers column, he notes the White Sox are wondering if Yonder could be a serviceable left fielder. Presumably trading pitching for him.

It's Phil Rogers though.

TheVulture
11-26-2011, 10:33 PM

Look up recent World Series champions, they all had multiple infielders with OPS around .704. 2005 White Sox had several players not far off .704. The recent trend is actually in the opposite direction with more defensive oriented players, which is keeping in line with the bulk of baseball history outside of the steroid era.

Besides, Beckham is twenty four. It's kind of ridiculous to assume his future production is limited to his 2011 performance, plenty of good hitters struggle at 24.

Domeshot17
11-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Look up recent World Series champions, they all had multiple infielders with OPS around .704. 2005 White Sox had several players not far off .704. The recent trend is actually in the opposite direction with more defensive oriented players, which is keeping in line with the bulk of baseball history outside of the steroid era.

Besides, Beckham is twenty four. It's kind of ridiculous to assume his future production is limited to his 2011 performance, plenty of good hitters struggle at 24.

I am not saying Gordon can't improve, but his sample size is HUGE, 1300 at bats. No one in the majors considers him anything close to a top prospect any more. He gets mentioned in the bust/reclamation project category.

In terms of the idea you win titles with bad hitters, that is just comical. The Sox don't have 2 pitchers anywhere near the caliber of Lincecum-Cain, nor a hitter like Pujols.

The 2005 White Sox were the explosion of the Kenny Williams era, build a team that should win 85 games, hope everything goes right and clicks. It can work 1 year, but as proven by the White Sox and Giants, it doesn't sustain.