PDA

View Full Version : Labor Peace in MLB

PaleHoseGeorge
11-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Truly amazed how MLB owners and players have managed to NOT screw up their own sport (and profits) by settling the latest in a string of CBA's negotiations without so much as one public word about a strike or a lockout.

BRAVO!

I'm thinking a few people owe Selig some props. His idiotic ideas from 15 years ago are slowly beginning to bear fruit, and the one-and-done wild card playoff is something I support because NOBODY wants to go home after 162 games because of one bobbled ball. You don't think it's fair? Next time win your division.

The path is now clear for more a balanced schedule and (hope, hope, hope) a true World Series featuring just each league's best team -- the one with the best overall record. Leave all the NFL-style playoff tiers for a separate tournament that can carry all the way into November each year, played "Super Bowl" style in Miami for all I care. Wins accrued across 162 games ought to count for more than a Game 7 home field advantage.

HGH testing, another big plus. No more Scammys in MLB ever!

:corker

Keep it coming, Bud!

SephClone89
11-24-2011, 11:56 AM
You really think this clears the path for a return to the pre-LCS World Series only format? Or am I misreading you?

Because I personally think that has a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

Viva Medias B's
11-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Baseball learned its lesson from 1994.

Fenway
11-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Must be a good CBA

Scott Boras doesn't like it

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/agent-scott-boras-swinging-mlb-labor-deal-article-1.982513

SoxSpeed22
11-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Must be a good CBA

Scott Boras doesn't like it

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/agent-scott-boras-swinging-mlb-labor-deal-article-1.982513While most of those changes in the draft signings were made thanks to him. Now the days of forking over $15 million for a Stephen Strasburg are now gone. Now teams can actually draft the best players instead of the ones they can sign. I also like the earlier deadline for draft picks so they can stay in baseball shape before heading off to the minors.
HGH might not be as big a problem in baseball as it is in football, but it's still good to see. This new CBA should be good for the league.

TDog
11-26-2011, 08:33 PM
... I'm thinking a few people owe Selig some props. His idiotic ideas from 15 years ago are slowly beginning to bear fruit, and the one-and-done wild card playoff is something I support because NOBODY wants to go home after 162 games because of one bobbled ball. You don't think it's fair? Next time win your division.

The path is now clear for more a balanced schedule and (hope, hope, hope) a true World Series featuring just each league's best team -- the one with the best overall record. Leave all the NFL-style playoff tiers for a separate tournament that can carry all the way into November each year, played "Super Bowl" style in Miami for all I care. Wins accrued across 162 games ought to count for more than a Game 7 home field advantage. ...

I wonder if the one-game wild card playoff was inspired or at least made more acceptable by the playoffs at the end of the regular season that have generated some interest in the last few years. And two wild card teams playing to face the team with the best record in the league also puts the wild card team at a disadvantage by putting more stress on the wild card's pitching going into the divisional series. The more I think about the concept, the more intriguing it is. There really is no way a wild card team could coast into the postseason, even if they went in with the second-best record in the league. That one game playoff isn't postseason as much as a game to play into the postseason.

As for comments in this thread about Boras being unhappy with the CBA, he really doesn't have anything to complain about, considering how much he has profited from the game already. Really, a perfect CBA would have declared Boras outlaw ... and voided Dunn's contract. Unfortunately, a perfect CBA wouldn't be legal.

wassagstdu
11-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Boras says kids will stop playing baseball because of the new CBA. Wow. What a depraved world view. I played baseball every possible day of my childhood and never thought about "slot". One thing that has made kids stop playing baseball IMHO is Scot Boras and the multimillionaires-with-attitude he has helped to populate the sport with.

Don't get me wrong. I think it was a crime that the Sox paid Aparicio $40,000 in his prime (and cut his salary for a modest decline in performance), but as great a crime that the Sox paid Manny Ramirez $5MM (and Adam Dunn $56 MM) for nothing. At least you could see Aparicio for $1.50, but Adam Dunn costs $40 -- in spring training!