PDA

View Full Version : Sox Managers

PaleHoseGeorge
11-24-2011, 10:41 AM
True Confessions: I was dead-set against the Sox hiring Ozzie Guillen back in 2003. I didn't believe he had the necessary experience to be successful managing a major league club. Besides being a cheap hire, it also smacked of a publicity stunt by Sox management to let an ex-Sox be the one on TV and radio for Sox Fans to relate to.

Wrong on all counts.

I wish Ozzie and Kenny could have figured out a way not to air dirty laundry publicly, and I'm still not convinced Reinsdorf kept hold of the "right-half" of the problem letting Ozzie skate while Kenny plays Pontius Pilate.

I do know one thing: These Sox now belong 100 percent to Kenny Williams. The team was decent when he arrived ('00 AL Central champs) and a train wreck by the time he hired Ozzie three years later. Will Robin Ventura be the one to bring the Sox back like Ozzie did in his second year? I sure hope so, but I won't be blaming him if he doesn't.

I'm keeping the faith with the Sox and one of my favorite Sox from the Nineties. Big Frank hoisting Robin on to his shoulders and shaking him like a sack of potatoes after another Ventura game-winning dingers is probably the first-great memory I have of the Sox playing inside what then was still-new Comiskey Park. I'm glad the Sox -- and Kenny -- are reconnecting the pieces to those near-glory years.

TomBradley72
11-24-2011, 03:37 PM
True Confessions: I was dead-set against the Sox hiring Ozzie Guillen back in 2003. I didn't believe he had the necessary experience to be successful managing a major league club. Besides being a cheap hire, it also smacked of a publicity stunt by Sox management to let an ex-Sox be the one on TV and radio for Sox Fans to relate to.

Wrong on all counts.

I wish Ozzie and Kenny could have figured out a way not to air dirty laundry publicly, and I'm still not convinced Reinsdorf kept hold of the "right-half" of the problem letting Ozzie skate while Kenny plays Pontius Pilate.

I do know one thing: These Sox now belong 100 percent to Kenny Williams. The team was decent when he arrived ('00 AL Central champs) and a train wreck by the time he hired Ozzie three years later. Will Robin Ventura be the one to bring the Sox back like Ozzie did in his second year? I sure hope so, but I won't be blaming him if he doesn't.

I'm keeping the faith with the Sox and one of my favorite Sox from the Nineties. Big Frank hoisting Robin on to his shoulders and shaking him like a sack of potatoes after another Ventura game-winning dingers is probably the first-great memory I have of the Sox playing inside what then was still-new Comiskey Park. I'm glad the Sox -- and Kenny -- are reconnecting the pieces to those near-glory years.

Not sure I agree the 2003 team was a "train wreck"- after the "Paniagua" game- they were 2 games up in 1st place on Sept 9th.

TDog
11-24-2011, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't say managerial experience or even coaching experience for a manger is not a positive attribute, but people commonly overrate its importance.

As far as strategy is concerned, many fans who have watched baseball for decades, especially those who watch it to the exclusion of other sports, understand the strategic aspects of the game, even if they don't understand what is going on with specific players at certain times, especially with many ailments being kept secret for competitive reasons.

In general, experienced managers, by and large, seem to bunt more than inexperienced managers. They are more likely to understand the game, not as a game of percentages as fans often see it anymore, because they have seen percentages not work in their favor hundreds of times. They tend to look at what they want they need to accomplish and what they believe players can do in given situations.

Managing, though, isn't entirely about moves. Most moves that managers make, even the ones that fans scream about and analysts criticize, are moves that most managers would make. Managing is more about managing players. I have been told that Don Gutteridge was a great coach who knew as much about baseball as anyone alive, certainly as much as future Hall of Famer Leo Durocher who was managing the Cubs across town when Gutteridge was running the White Sox. But he had trouble transitioning from the coach buffering players from the manager to the leader in control of the team.

Guillen certainly established that he was in charge years after Jerry Manuel earned the derisive nickname Gandhi among Sox fans. The media seemed to love Manuel, but before I moved out of the area in the middle of the 2003 season, I never met a fan at the park who didn't hate him. There was a huge difference between Manuel and Guillen, but they both came to the Sox as first-time managers after being on the Marlins' World Series championship coaching staff.

I have no idea what kind of manager Robin Ventura is going to be. The thing with experienced managers is that you know (or think you do, as in the case with the last two experienced managers the Cubs hired when they were supposed to be on the verge of winning it all). In the 1970s, a lot of people were saying Maury Wills should get his chance to manage. Dave Baum, who I believe is still on Chicago radio, was a big champion of the idea and wanted the White Sox to hire him. Wills got his chance and is now recognized as, if not the all-time worst major league manager, at least horribly bad at a psychotic level.

Ventura certainly knows baseball. He isn't going to face any game situations he has never seen before. And the media won't be absorbed in writing about his abrasive personality. But I have no idea how he will manage the season.

Red Barchetta
11-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Robin Ventura was one of my favorite all-time White Sox players. I'm hoping he becomes one of my favorite all-time White Sox managers.

I liked Ozzie as a player and was thrilled when they won the WS in 2005. However, like Ditka, I grew tired of the media circus as a result of his sound bytes and agree it's time for a change.

I know LaRussa has a love/hate relationship when it comes to fans, however now that he has retired, I would have taken 3 White Sox World Series Championships over 30 years if he would have managed in Chicago his entire career.