PDA

View Full Version : KW talks to Boston Globe about Ventura

Fenway
11-20-2011, 08:53 AM
The interesting tidbit is KW says he probably would not have hired a manager with no experience if Don Cooper wasn't around.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/11/20/theres_a_working_model_for_managing_in_boston/?page=full

Later he tells the Globe it is unlikely the White Sox will sign Mark Buehrle even though he would like to as there isn't the money available.

Frater Perdurabo
11-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Later in the story KW says Rios had some minor injuries in 2011. What kind of injury causes a player to keep his hands so low? It would be nice if Rios would hit .280 with 15 homers, 30 doubles and 30 steals in 2012.

Fenway
11-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Later in the story KW says Rios had some minor injuries in 2011. What kind of injury causes a player to keep his hands so low? It would be nice if Rios would hit .280 with 15 homers, 30 doubles and 30 steals in 2012.

Carfardo told me last summer that KW likes to use Boston and NY writers to get stuff out there. He apparently does not want to play favorites in Chicago.

SI1020
11-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Later in the story KW says Rios had some minor injuries in 2011. What kind of injury causes a player to keep his hands so low? It would be nice if Rios would hit .280 with 15 homers, 30 doubles and 30 steals in 2012. Quite possibly my most un favorite White Sox player ever. I just wish he would go away. As for that stance, very ugly and of course ineffective.

Brian26
11-20-2011, 10:42 AM
The interesting tidbit is KW says he probably would not have hired a manager with no experience if Don Cooper wasn't around.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/11/20/theres_a_working_model_for_managing_in_boston/?page=full

Later he tells the Globe it is unlikely the White Sox will sign Mark Buehrle even though he would like to as there isn't the money available.

The article says unlikely unless he's able to trade a couple of the arbitration-eligible guys like Danks and Quentin. So, he's not shutting the door on it.

KMcMahon817
11-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Rios was battling "toe issues" all last season..that was his injury.

DirtySox
11-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Later Mark. I probably wouldn't be all that eager to sign with this current Sox team either.

WhiteSox5187
11-20-2011, 04:09 PM

There isn't enough money left to re-sign Mark because Kenny ****ing wasted it on Rios, Peavy and Dunn. How Kenny still has a ****ing job is beyond me.

I was listening to the "Talking Baseball" show on ESPN 1000 yesterday and they asked Jerry Reinsdorf about the Ventura hiring and he said "When I first heard about it made me go 'Hmm,'" and then he went on to defend the move but that response suggests to me that not only was that move ALL Kenny but that even Reinsdorf is starting to be baffled by some of Kenny's moves.

Noneck
11-20-2011, 06:21 PM
I was listening to the "Talking Baseball" show on ESPN 1000 yesterday and they asked Jerry Reinsdorf about the Ventura hiring and he said "When I first heard about it made me go 'Hmm,'" and then he went on to defend the move but that response suggests to me that not only was that move ALL Kenny but that even Reinsdorf is starting to be baffled by some of Kenny's moves.

You really think a Sox manager has ever been hired without Reinsdorfs approval?

WLL1855
11-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Quite possibly my most un favorite White Sox player ever. I just wish he would go away. ....

You must not have been around for the Jaime Navarro years.

thomas35forever
11-21-2011, 12:45 AM
There isn't enough money left to re-sign Mark because Kenny ****ing wasted it on Rios, Peavy and Dunn. How Kenny still has a ****ing job is beyond me.
Don't forget the straw that broke the camel's back: re-signing Frasor.

Brewski
11-21-2011, 01:10 AM

No. You got a problem with that?

asindc
11-21-2011, 09:49 AM

I actually think he sincerely believes that.

russ99
11-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Don't forget the straw that broke the camel's back: re-signing Frasor.

I don't think that's a bad move.

The Sox were never getting compensation for him even if they qualified him, so now you either have an experienced arm in the pen or you can deal him to another team later. Also, even taking away Frasor's salary we still won't compete for what Buehle is eventually going to get.

Frasor's salary is fairly in line with his role, too. It's Thornton getting borderline closer money for a lefty setup guy that's more onerous.

SI1020
11-21-2011, 03:15 PM
You must not have been around for the Jaime Navarro years. Around for him and Claudell Washington and a lot even before that.

WhiteSox5187
11-21-2011, 04:05 PM
I actually think he sincerely believes that.

Of course Jerry knew about it, but it shows that this wasn't a case where Jerry one upped Kenny by hiring Ventura. It was Kenny's idea to hire Ventura. Of course Kenny's backers will probably say "No no, he was hired by Jerry," just like they did with Ozzie.

SI1020
11-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Of course Jerry knew about it, but it shows that this wasn't a case where Jerry one upped Kenny by hiring Ventura. It was Kenny's idea to hire Ventura. Of course Kenny's backers will probably say "No no, he was hired by Jerry," just like they did with Ozzie. I'm pretty convinced that KW preferred Cito Gaston over Ozzie. In the end it seemed that he turned out to be the favorite son after all with his boss.

Harry Chappas
11-29-2011, 02:44 PM
I'm pretty convinced that KW preferred Cito Gaston over Ozzie. In the end it seemed that he turned out to be the favorite son after all with his boss.

Why are you convinced of that? Reinsdorf has always struck me as a kind of 'hands off' owner when it comes to personnel issues, especially over the last few years. I don't believe for a second that OG or RV were ideas concocted by Reinsdorf. He obviously signed off on them, but this is Kenny's show and all signs point to Ventura being his (Kenny's) brain child.

Kenny bought himself a little time with his latest project but the chickens will eventually come home to roost. If Ventura falls on his face, Kenny is toast.