PDA

View Full Version : MLB/Players tentatively have reached a new CBA

Fenway
11-18-2011, 10:06 PM
New deal may include blood testing for human growth hormone
BY BILL MADDEN

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mlb-nears-collective-bargaining-agreement-cut-costs-article-1.980022#ixzz1e7YHHlmJ

Hitmen77
11-22-2011, 12:20 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/22/the-new-collective-bargaining-agreement-mostly-small-changes-but-total-success-all-the-same/

The new CBA will be announced today.

MrX
11-22-2011, 12:30 PM
It really punishes teams that go over slot.

Teams that go more than 5% over slot get a 75% tax. From 5-10% over, a 75% tax and loss of 1st-round pick the next year. Go 10-15% over, 100% tax and loss of 1st- and 2nd-round picks. 15% and higher is 100% tax and loss of two first-round picks.

Oblong
11-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Man... they just roll through these now...

I remember the deal around 2002 because it came on the heels of the 94/95 strike. But the one after that, I do not remember at all.

Nice job fellas. Way to keep the focus on the field.

DonnieDarko
11-22-2011, 12:37 PM
New deal may include blood testing for human growth hormone

THAT'S what struck me. I cannot believe that the players' union agreed to that! Still nice that they did, though.

It really punishes teams that go over slot.

Teams that go more than 5% over slot get a 75% tax. From 5-10% over, a 75% tax and loss of 1st-round pick the next year. Go 10-15% over, 100% tax and loss of 1st- and 2nd-round picks. 15% and higher is 100% tax and loss of two first-round picks.

So...this means that the White Sox, who don't seem to ever go over slot, will have a more level playing field with other teams in the draft? Nice to know. Also, any chance to screw over Scott Boras is fine by me. :D

Nellie_Fox
11-22-2011, 01:18 PM
THAT'S what struck me. I cannot believe that the players' union agreed to that! Still nice that they did, though.I think they realized that they were on the wrong side of public opinion on this issue.

Oblong
11-22-2011, 02:11 PM
This will have a bigger impact on the game than I thought. The international signing and draft changes are huge. Forfeiture of draft picks?

The worry I'm reading is that it will push multi sport talent away from baseball.

PalehosePlanet
11-22-2011, 04:14 PM
No more Type A and Type B free agents. A team will receive compensation only if the player is offered the average of the highest 125 salaries in MLB.

TheVulture
11-22-2011, 05:18 PM
I think they realized that they were on the wrong side of public opinion on this issue.
Plus, it actually benefits the players. If the player doesn't have to compete against HGHers, he doesn't have to risk his health to keep the playing field even.

Oblong
11-22-2011, 10:31 PM
reading into this there's a lot more in this deal than I initially thought. The changes in the draft and international stuff will be huge. KC spent the last few years building the best farm system some analysts have ever seen.... now that's going toessentially be illegal.

I personally don't like it. It's not a bad thing for baseball if a team would rather spend $10 million on draft picks over a 2 or 3 year period as opposed to spending that on a below average ML player. It's all about what a team views as it's priority and how they'd rather spend their money.