PDA

View Full Version : Another Red Sox thread hijack

Fenway
11-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Yeah, Lamont was money for those early 90s Sox teams. The only red flag with him is that its apparently taken him 11 years to get back to a managerial position... Not sure if that's his design or not. Anyway, whatever.

Oh god, will you shut up? Boston "HAS" to win in 2012? Get the **** over yourself.

That is exactly the problem a new manager in Boston faces....he MUST make the playoffs in year one. (and I don't think they can)

Bob Roarman
11-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Oh god, will you shut up? Boston "HAS" to win in 2012? Get the **** over yourself.

Uhhhh yeah that's kind of unwarranted. What he said is true, the pressure is going to be strong for the Red Sox and whoever they hire to make the playoffs. Different story with the Cubs. Not hard to see that.

hi im skot
11-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Uhhhh yeah that's kind of unwarranted. What he said is true, the pressure is going to be strong for the Red Sox and whoever they hire to make the playoffs. Different story with the Cubs. Not hard to see that.

I think Doub is just one of the many that is sick of hearing about Boston in threads that have little to do with them.

Fenway
11-17-2011, 10:16 AM

This is a nutty baseball town. Where else could the in-game reporter be cut loose and it makes the front page of both papers.

The Dirt Dogs site is loving this.

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/2011/11/blonde_bombshell.html

Heidi made the mistake of getting a little too close to some players on the road.

Bob Roarman
11-17-2011, 10:17 AM
I think Doub is just one of the many that is sick of hearing about Boston in threads that have little to do with them.

But it did. Sveum was being considered for the Red Sox as well.

doublem23
11-17-2011, 10:18 AM
That is exactly the problem a new manager in Boston faces....he MUST make the playoffs in year one. (and I don't think they can)

Boo ****ing hoo. Every October 22 MLB teams seasons end with 0 games in the postseason. SOMEHOW, those teams are able to survive the off-season and come back and play again on Opening Day of the next season.

Here, I at least ripped the thread in half so people at least know when they open this to expect another bull**** Red Sox Pity Party.

http://www.mommyauctions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/baby-crying.jpg
We have to win next year! I don't like watching baseball when my team doesn't win every single season.

DumpJerry
11-17-2011, 10:27 AM
This is a nutty baseball town. Where else could the in-game reporter be cut loose and it makes the front page of both papers.

The Dirt Dogs site is loving this.

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/2011/11/blonde_bombshell.html

Heidi made the mistake of getting a little too close to some players on the road.
So, she's leaving to cover the Lakers? As in the NBA Lakers? I guess she wants some free time on her hands.

Fenway
11-17-2011, 10:39 AM
So, she's leaving to cover the Lakers? As in the NBA Lakers? I guess she wants some free time on her hands.

That network doesn't even go on the air until next September. She told the crew she was not coming back next year.

Sveum so far was the only person to have a second interview and he met ownership in Milwaukee. The guy they really want manages Toronto.

You Boston haters may get your wish in 2012 - They may well finish 4th in the east.

Lip Man 1
11-17-2011, 10:55 AM
"I think Doub is just one of the many that is sick of hearing about Boston in threads that have little to do with them."

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lip

Fenway
11-17-2011, 01:02 PM
"I think Doub is just one of the many that is sick of hearing about Boston in threads that have little to do with them."

Lip

Except the Red Sox and Flubs are chasing after the same people so it IS related.

Boston has bungled this badly...

http://www.boston.com/sports/video/globe10/?bctid=1281410120001

Meanwhile the Red Sox are still demanding a lot from the Cubs and Selig may give Boston what they want to put and end of executives jumping around.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/11/17/red_sox_seek_significant_compensation_from_cubs_fo r_epstein/

This Lucchino/Epstein fued is really getting ugly.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/standing-room-only/post/A-Message-from-Larry-Lucchino?blockID=595770&feedID=9961

Fenway
11-17-2011, 02:52 PM
:o::?:

I was afraid of this

http://bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/red_sox/?p=6629&srvc=home&position=recent

bridgeportcopper
11-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Lip

I, for one, appreciate Fenway's insight. It is good to hear about other teams, I wish we had 28 other Fenways from the other teams. Or you can be narrow-minded and listen to Mully & Hanley to put your Chicago blinders on. If you guys have a problem with Fenway's input, don't open his threads.

TheOldRoman
11-17-2011, 04:03 PM
That is exactly the problem a new manager in Boston faces....he MUST make the playoffs in year one. (and I don't think they can)Or else... people will be REALLY mad, the Red Sox will spend a lot of money next offseason, and life will go on as normal. Seriously, with a first year manager and a first year GM, nobody is getting fired after 2012 unless the GM gets in multiple fist-fights with players or the manager exposes himself to a reporter.

Gordon Shumway
11-17-2011, 04:06 PM
I, for one, appreciate Fenway's insight. It is good to hear about other teams, I wish we had 28 other Fenways from the other teams. Or you can be narrow-minded and listen to Mully & Hanley to put your Chicago blinders on. If you guys have a problem with Fenway's input, don't open his threads.

Technically this wasn't Fenway's thread, it's an offshoot of this thread http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131352. Hence the title "Another Red Sox thread hijack".

Bob Roarman
11-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Yeah I can understand people growing tired of Fenway's talk about Boston, but this wasn't a hijack. Sveum was in consideration for the Red Sox job at the same time he was for the Cubs. So yeah, it had to do with the Red Sox. Even moreso in that Theo has some experience and familiarity with him during his tenure in Boston as I believe the third base coach which I'm sure played a part in this hire for the both of them.

Fenway
11-17-2011, 07:40 PM
The Red Sox ownership did not offer Sveum the job yesterday. Apparently they were told by Bob Melvin why the Brewers never considered him for the job twice.

Brian26
11-17-2011, 07:44 PM
The Red Sox ownership did not offer Sveum the job yesterday. Apparently they were told by Bob Melvin why the Brewers never considered him for the job twice.

Well, that is juicy.

My prediction is that the Sandberg shun will be a colossal mistake by the northsiders.

Fenway
11-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Well, that is juicy.

My prediction is that the Sandberg shun will be a colossal mistake by the northsiders.

Sveum will always have the distinction of being an interim manager in the post-season.

cards press box
11-18-2011, 03:09 AM
Sveum will always have the distinction of being an interim manager in the post-season.

Wasn't Dale Sveum the Sox' temporary replacement for Ozzie Guillen at shortstop when Ozzie went down with a season ending knee injury in a collision with Tim Raines early in the 1992 season? If I am not mistaken, Ozzie got hurt in the 9th inning of a game against the Yankees in April or May 1992.

Frater Perdurabo
11-18-2011, 06:15 AM
Wasn't Dale Sveum the Sox' temporary replacement for Ozzie Guillen at shortstop when Ozzie went down with a season ending knee injury in a collision with Tim Raines early in the 1992 season? If I am not mistaken, Ozzie got hurt in the 9th inning of a game against the Yankees in April or May 1992.

Yes.

The 90s White Sox left side of the infield is becoming a managerial factory.

Lip Man 1
11-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Actually it's not. Craig Grebeck was Ozzie's replacement. Then Craig suffered an injury the final month (in Oakland I think) that caused him to miss the rest of the season. Dale was signed to replace him the last month.

Lip

AZChiSoxFan
11-18-2011, 02:47 PM

Lip

Why not simply choose to not check out those threads? Seems simple enough.

Lip Man 1
11-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Because they are like a virus that seems to be everywhere.

Plus when a threat is 'hijacked' with Boston / East Coast references on a White Sox site it's hard to realize that references are being made when again, it's in a middle of a thread.

I try to avoid most of the meaningless dribble but sometimes it's impossible to.

Lip

Fenway
11-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Because they are like a virus that seems to be everywhere.

Plus when a threat is 'hijacked' with Boston / East Coast references on a White Sox site it's hard to realize that references are being made when again, it's in a middle of a thread.

I try to avoid most of the meaningless dribble but sometimes it's impossible to.

Lip

To suggest there was no direct connect between Boston and Sveum is laughable considering Sveum himself addressed the issue.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2011/11/18/dale-sveum-cubs-managing-job-a-better-fit-than-red-sox/

But now it is starting to come out that the person who spilled the beans to the Boston Globe on Francona and everything else that went wrong was Theo himself.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/11/17/gresh-zo-reports-are-theo-was-the-leak/

Nellie_Fox
11-18-2011, 11:06 PM
I do get a little tired of the "if you don't like what I post, don't read it" defense. If you post, you are also subject to being criticized for your post. Most Sox fans are sick to death of the baseball world revolving around New York and Boston, and we really don't need to be pounded with that on a White Sox board.

People say that Yankees/Red Sox attracts huge audiences all over the country, but I'm convinced that's because a lot of casual fans have bought into the message that they are supposed to care about Yankees/Red Sox.

Fenway
11-18-2011, 11:13 PM
I do get a little tired of the "if you don't like what I post, don't read it" defense. If you post, you are also subject to being criticized for your post. Most Sox fans are sick to death of the baseball world revolving around New York and Boston, and we really don't need to be pounded with that on a White Sox board.

People say that Yankees/Red Sox attracts huge audiences all over the country, but I'm convinced that's because a lot of casual fans have bought into the message that they are supposed to care about Yankees/Red Sox.

Point taken - but it was also in a Cubs thread and right now Boston and the Cubs are joined at the hip.

Rumors are flying Charrington may quit over Sveum whom he wanted. He doesn't want Valentine but apparently Lucchino does.

DSpivack
11-18-2011, 11:14 PM

Especially on the second paragraph, I agree. It's a feedback loop, the media feeds people the Red Sox/Yankees because they say it's more popular>more latch on to those teams because they perceive them as popular>media pays more attention because of that popularity. What's the chicken there and what is the egg, and which came first, I don't really know. The Yankees have always been popular, at least, simply because they're the big bully on the block that everyone either hates or sucks up to.

That said, there's a difference to me between reading about baseball teams in Talking Baseball, even if they are those two teams, as people tend to care about and argue over more successful franchises rather than argue about, say, the Astros and Royals; and suddenly bringing about the Red Sox or Yankees in a thread in, say, What's The Score or the Clubhouse, as those forums exist for other reasons (moreso the latter than the former). The former I understand, as Talking Baseball exists to talk about baseball teams outside of Chicago, the latter I do find quite annoying.

Fenway
11-20-2011, 11:47 AM
The sense in New England is that Boston in 2012 is going to be a disaster of epic proportions.

Bobby Valentine? He was last seen in a Mets clubhouse that fell apart as bad as Boston did. If Valentine turns them down they may turn to Jerry Remy.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/11/20/red_sox_are_in_chaos/

NESN management seems clueless why CSN-New England is getting the non live game viewers and the reason is simple - they are not paying people.

Ownership seems clueless at how angry the fanbase is - not because they failed to make the playoffs, but the way it happened.

I predict the White Sox will have more wins this year than Boston.

harwar
11-22-2011, 10:35 AM
If Valentine turns them down they may turn to Jerry Remy.

why not bring in wally instead .. kids like him and he can roll on about all his wacky adventures during post-game press

SI1020
11-25-2011, 09:19 AM
But now it is starting to come out that the person who spilled the beans to the Boston Globe on Francona and everything else that went wrong was Theo himself.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/11/17/gresh-zo-reports-are-theo-was-the-leak/ Maybe he did and maybe he didn't but there is nothing in that article that makes me think he's the guilty party. This is the kind of "speculation" worthy of a scandal sheet. I mean everyone else denies it so it must be Theo. OK.

TheVulture
11-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Yes.

The 90s White Sox left side of the infield is becoming a managerial factory.

Jose Valentin was recently named manager of the Ft Wayne Tincaps, BTW. The tradition continues...

Sox
11-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Jose Valentin was recently named manager of the Ft Wayne Tincaps, BTW. The tradition continues...

:bundy