PDA

View Full Version : Sox and animals


Dadawg_77
07-16-2002, 09:32 PM
May 14 - A Black Cat runs out on the field. The season began to go down hill from there. Can the duck reverse the curse?

Daver
07-16-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
May 14 - A Black Cat runs out on the field. The season began to go down hill from there. Can the duck reverse the curse? That was NOT a duck,it was a flying rat,AKA a pigoen.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-16-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by daver
That was NOT a duck,it was a flying rat,AKA a pigoen.

It looked like a juvenile seagull to me. The ballpark is only a few blocks from Lake Erie.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-16-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by daver
That was NOT a duck,it was a flying rat,AKA a pigoen.

Were you looking through a gunsight when you made that determination?

:)

Dadawg_77
07-16-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by daver
That was NOT a duck,it was a flying rat,AKA a pigoen.

Sorry I really don't know my birds, but whatever it was maybe it can help.

Daver
07-16-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND


Were you looking through a gunsight when you made that determination?

:)

Nah,I can tell an Italian Chicken sans gun sights.....

BuehrleACE56
07-16-2002, 09:42 PM
It was a seagull. Not a pigeon or duck.

sox_fan_forever
07-16-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
It was a seagull. Not a pigeon or duck.

That's what I thought but I don't know birds either.

Daver
07-16-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
It was a seagull. Not a pigeon or duck.

Your half right,it is a hybrid of a seagull and a pigeon,a common sight along the great lakes.Seagulls are white with black or grey wingtips,not mottled colored like the bird in question.That being said these birds are classified as pigeons because of their carrion type diet,a seagull hunts its prey in the water.

BuehrleACE56
07-16-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by daver


Your half right,it is a hybrid of a seagull and a pigeon,a common sight along the great lakes.Seagulls are white with black or grey wingtips,not mottled colored like the bird in question.That being said these birds are classified as pigeons because of their carrion type diet,a seagull hunts its prey in the water.

If anybody would know......I think it would be Daver. :D:

Daver
07-16-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56


If anybody would know......I think it would be Daver. :D:

What other baseball site on the net offers ornithology as well as baseball talk?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-16-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by daver


Your half right,it is a hybrid of a seagull and a pigeon,a common sight along the great lakes.Seagulls are white with black or grey wingtips,not mottled colored like the bird in question.That being said these birds are classified as pigeons because of their carrion type diet,a seagull hunts its prey in the water.

Is anybody else repulsed by the mental image of a seagull doing it with a pigeon? Ewwww...

It's sort of like those women in the bikini tops at the Urinal getting pawed by all those sloven pigs who pee in the sinks.

Randar68
07-16-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


Is anybody else repulsed by the mental image of a seagull doing it with a pigeon? Ewwww...

It's sort of like those women in the bikini tops at the Urinal getting pawed by all those sloven pigs who pee in the sinks.

:woo-woo

"What's a WOOO!!! sink?"

chisoxfanatic
07-16-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
May 14 - A Black Cat runs out on the field. The season began to go down hill from there. Can the duck reverse the curse?

Actually, I think that animals are the cure for the Sox. The Sox happened to win the game with the "black cat" incidence, and they won this game today with the "bird" effect. So, we can say that the Sox are 2-0 in games with the animal effect.

Will somebody bring the Aflac Insurance duck to Kauffman Stadium tomorrow? We're gonna need it...Ritchie's pitching!

Heather the Redbird

steff
07-17-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by daver


Your half right,it is a hybrid of a seagull and a pigeon,a common sight along the great lakes.Seagulls are white with black or grey wingtips,not mottled colored like the bird in question.That being said these birds are classified as pigeons because of their carrion type diet,a seagull hunts its prey in the water.


Can't wait until Ron Rapoport's article tomorrow... "It's a bird, no it's a gull, no it's a pigeon...WSI's Daver leads the discussion and exposes the life of the "flying rat" :D:

rmusacch
07-17-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Randar68


:woo-woo

"What's a WOOO!!! sink?"

Last week on the Best Damn Sports Show Period, they had a mini 85 Bears reunion as part of Tom Arnold's great American road trip and they opened the show with that f-ing moron when they were broadcasting from McMahon's in Glenview.

Procol Harum
07-17-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by daver


Your half right,it is a hybrid of a seagull and a pigeon,a common sight along the great lakes.Seagulls are white with black or grey wingtips,not mottled colored like the bird in question.That being said these birds are classified as pigeons because of their carrion type diet,a seagull hunts its prey in the water.

Besides the fact that one of our people would mistake a seagullish-looking pigeon for a duck (!), I'm wanting some verification from our WSI Ornithology Section on the existence of hybrid seagull/pigeon mixes. Is that possible? Never mind the bizarre mental picture of seagulls trolling around for pigeon chicks--is this part of the animal kingdom cross-species mating spectrum? If it were, I'm thinking we would see more hybrid bluejay/robins. Or, is this a horse/donkey type of compatibility? Are seagulls and pigeons close enough to each other to mate? As in the above horse/donkey union, however, I do believe that would automatically issue forth in sterile critters what could not reproduce their own kind--so we wouldn't have a huge population of these part seagull/part pigeon halflings. Then again, maybe seagulls and pigeons just can't keep their wings off each other. Anybody out there a bird savant or animal husbandry expert? I'm from Missouri on this'n.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-17-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum


Besides the fact that one of our people would mistake a seagullish-looking pigeon for a duck (!), I'm wanting some verification from our WSI Ornithology Section on the existence of hybrid seagull/pigeon mixes. Is that possible? Never mind the bizarre mental picture of seagulls trolling around for pigeon chicks--is this part of the animal kingdom cross-species mating spectrum? If it were, I'm thinking we would see more hybrid bluejay/robins. Or, is this a horse/donkey type of compatibility? Are seagulls and pigeons close enough to each other to mate? As in the above horse/donkey union, however, I do believe that would automatically issue forth in sterile critters what could not reproduce their own kind--so we wouldn't have a huge population of these part seagull/part pigeon halflings. Then again, maybe seagulls and pigeons just can't keep their wings off each other. Anybody out there a bird savant or animal husbandry expert? I'm from Missouri on this'n.

I checked my Peterson Field Guide to Eastern Birds and there is no mention of crossbred offspring, sterile or otherwise, between seagulls and pigeons. There are, however, plenty of examples of immature seagulls with lots of brown plumage. They don't get a full-set of white/gray feathers until their third or fourth year.

Yep, I can sure put that Purdue education to use here at White Sox Interactive!

:gulp:

Procol Harum
07-17-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


There are, however, plenty of examples of immature seagulls with lots of brown plumage. They don't get a full-set of white/gray feathers until their third or fourth year.

Yep, I can sure put that Purdue education to use here at White Sox Interactive!

:gulp:

That's what Uncle Procol was thinkin'--a young seagull, which usually have a more mottled appearance. And who needs stinkin' Harvard Yard when ya got West Lafayette??? :D:

dougs78
07-17-2002, 10:09 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I find it hard to believe that a pigeon and seagull could mate, let alone actually produce an offspring. But I digress.....

More importantly, I wanted to express my condolences to PHG on his choice of institution of higher learning. As a recent graduate of the real university from the fine state of Indiana (as obviously evidenced by the name). I must say that I have some pity on your soul. :D:

Although, I do much appreciate the fact that you and your fellow Boilermakers' went out of your way to learn so much about ornithology and horticulture for 4 years while we were busy winning basketball games. :smile:

zach23
07-17-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by dougs78
I find it hard to believe that a pigeon and seagull could mate, let alone actually produce an offspring.

Why not? If two cub fans could mate and produce offspring then anything is possible.

Procol Harum
07-17-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
More importantly, I wanted to express my condolences to PHG on his choice of institution of higher learning. As a recent graduate of the real university from the fine state of Indiana (as obviously evidenced by the name). I must say that I have some pity on your soul. :D:

Although, I do much appreciate the fact that you and your fellow Boilermakers' went out of your way to learn so much about ornithology and horticulture for 4 years while we were busy winning basketball games. :smile:

Lemme help ya, PHG.

Doug, as an aloomnigh of a certain school in College Park, MD I gots three words for ya:

Fear the Turtle. :D:

dougs78
07-17-2002, 12:20 PM
touche!

.....there is always a bigger bully on every block.... :smile: