PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade certain players if it meant getting rid of some bad contracts?

ChicagoG19
11-15-2011, 09:56 PM
For example: Would you trade Quentin and Danks for scrubs if a team was willing to take Rios as well?

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-15-2011, 10:44 PM
That's a tough call. As much as I despise Rios, I don't know if I could say yes to that.

SoxSpeed22
11-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Teams have done that before. We do have our share of dead weight. I probably would, unless it's for a bad return.

soxfanreggie
11-15-2011, 11:25 PM
For example: Would you trade Quentin and Danks for scrubs if a team was willing to take Rios as well?

It depends on A.) if we were going to make an effort to re-sign them and B.) if we could spend the money we save to bring someone else in.

Tragg
11-16-2011, 01:13 AM

I'd have to insist that they take Dunn, too.

russ99
11-16-2011, 08:35 AM

No, we need a good return for those guys.

Ditching contracts is less important at this point than getting building blocks for the next 5 years in return for Danks and Quentin, especially considering how the Sox have neglected the farm system the last 5 years.

Selling rock bottom low or taking back a lesser return on a package on both Rios and Dunn right now is foolish. Rios is still serviceable, and may turn things around under a new hitting coach. If the Sox can get Dunn back to his career levels, they'll find a taker either at the deadline or next offseason.

seventyseven
11-16-2011, 08:57 AM
I've accepted the fact that the Sox are stuck with Rios/Dunn/Peavy, and will be a lousy/mediocre team until they are gone.

KMcMahon817
11-16-2011, 12:37 PM
No, no and no. Don't waste the few bullets we have. Every team has some bad contracts, it is part of baseball. Sox are much better holding onto Rios and Dunn and hoping they have decent years than blowing any chance at getting a great return for Q, Danks and/or Floyd. No, no and no.

Jerko
11-16-2011, 01:29 PM
I say no. We die hards may accept a rebuilding process just to strengthen the future of the team, but the casual fan will stay away in droves if they don't know anybody on the team. The bottom line is still the bottom line.

Zisk77
11-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Depends on the players...I'd do Floyd, Rios, + some money to Colorado for Dexter Fowler and maybe a good pen piece. (would really want Cargo but don't think they'd do that).

esbrechtel
11-16-2011, 03:20 PM
I've accepted the fact that the Sox are stuck with Rios/Dunn/Peavy, and will be a lousy/mediocre team until they are gone.

agreed.

KMcMahon817
11-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Depends on the players...I'd do Floyd, Rios, + some money to Colorado for Dexter Fowler and maybe a good pen piece. (would really want Cargo but don't think they'd do that).

hahaha, ya think?

parlaycard
11-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Dunn and Rios aren't going anywhere.

No need to waste your time dreaming up scenarios.

Do you really think you can nfool some team into taking that garbage? Sorriano has a bad contract, but at least you get some production from him.

Dunn and Rios are automatic outs and everyone knows it.

No one wants either of them in their lineup no matter what they are being paid.