PDA

View Full Version : The 'brillance' of Jeffrey Loria

Fenway
11-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Former PR director of the Expos and now a columnist for the Toronto Star marvels at what Loria pulled off.

12 years ago he spent $18 M Canadian for 24% of the Expos and now has a team worth $360M US.

http://www.thestar.com/article/1087473--griffin-miami-marlins-set-to-be-a-huge-bonanza-for-loria

Brian26
11-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Was Loria "unethical" in what he did (or what he let happen) in Montreal?

I'm trying to distinguish between the fine line of being a good businessman and a criminal. Neither, by the way, is not mutually exclusive with him being a scumbag.

Fenway
11-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Was Loria "unethical" in what he did (or what he let happen) in Montreal?

I'm trying to distinguish between the fine line of being a good businessman and a criminal. Neither, by the way, is not mutually exclusive with him being a scumbag.

Demandez-leur ce que pense à Montréal de M. Loria.

His 'partners' in the Expos wound up with Marlins ownership and can only sell to him which they refuse to do.

guillensdisciple
11-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Did he win the 2003 Series with the Marlins or was that a different owner?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
11-15-2011, 10:33 PM
Did he win the 2003 Series with the Marlins or was that a different owner?

Yeah, Loria won it with the Marlins in '03...he purchased the team the year prior.

Fenway
11-16-2011, 02:19 AM
Yeah, Loria won it with the Marlins in '03...he purchased the team the year prior.

Loria promised he would sue MLB/Selig if contracted.

Now while MLB can pretty much do what it wants in the US with the anti-trust exemption - Canada was another story.

Selig decided that John Henry should buy Boston....and by having Loria 'buy' the Marlins his problem was solved. Somehow Loria wound up with the Expos vaunted scouting department.

Loria from all accounts wanted to move the Expos to New Jersey but Bud gave him a sweetheart deal for Miami. No money ever changed hands ( I got that from a Red Sox executive ). MLB simply made sure that the Expos 'credit' would satisfy John Harrington and the Yawkey Trust would get the money.

Once Fleet Bank signed off on it ( they are now part of BoA ) the deal was done.