PDA

View Full Version : Could Sox, Cubs meet just three times a year?

Fenway
11-14-2011, 07:14 PM
http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-talk/post/Could-Sox-Cubs-meet-three-times-a-year?blockID=594106&feedID=10338&awid=4990963255852600928-915

robertks61
11-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Sounds good to me!

ChicagoG19
11-14-2011, 07:25 PM
I like it. Although when I first saw the title of the thread I thought they were going to increase the number of series to 3.

slavko
11-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Three's company, six is a crowd. Isn't the bloom off the rose of this idea? Hasn't it been so for a long time? Make it happen, MLB.

I'm very sure that this was proposed 20 years ago but JR objected because he wanted the revenue. But...the last time I posted this, I was the only one who remembered it. Wouldn't be the first time my memory misfired. But I remember it.

Parrothead
11-14-2011, 08:06 PM
whew. when i read the title i thought it meant a total of nine games. i look forward to only 3 games, however, i would like no interleague play at all.

Foulke You
11-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Meh, maybe I'm in the minority here but I enjoy the six crosstown games. It's an interesting interlude around June or July that breaks up a regular homestand against normal opponents like KC, Detroit, etc. One series at Wrigley, one series at The Cell. I don't think you need more or less. It's fine the way it is. I'm also skeptical that they would shave 3 games off. Both series sell tickets at premium prices and get good TV ratings. I don't think either team will want it reduced.

Oh, and to all the "bloom is off the rose" people... it really has to do with how the teams are doing in the standings. There was tons of buzz and hype for the two series in 2008 when both teams were in first place. Last season with the Cubs terrible and the Sox fighting around .500? Not so much.

Tragg
11-14-2011, 09:38 PM
3 would be better.

HomeFish
11-14-2011, 09:40 PM
It would end those awkward ties for the BP Cup.

Lamp81
11-14-2011, 10:25 PM
They could also go to a home and home, back to back, 2 game series for a total of 4 games. I wouldn't mind that.

Crooked Number
11-15-2011, 12:55 AM
They could also go to a home and home, back to back, 2 game series for a total of 4 games. I wouldn't mind that.

I think this would be fantastic, however bunching them up at once would not be conducive for business. Baseball, first and foremost is a business. As Homer would say "The all ighty ollar?...oh...i get it!"

Home at Home would be so cool though. Agree with Foulke here, when the Sox are good, those games are way more fun. Don't blame those who are against it either, as the media hype is nauseating sometimes.

Noneck
11-15-2011, 02:26 AM
First of all I dont like interleague in anyway shape or form. But since its here to stay, I will sacrafice my dislike for playing the cubs in order to possibly create more baseball fans and hopefully Sox fans because of this. People watch Sox- cubs games that dont watch any other games, so 6 games are better than 3.

Hitmen77
11-15-2011, 07:56 AM
http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-talk/post/Could-Sox-Cubs-meet-three-times-a-year?blockID=594106&feedID=10338&awid=4990963255852600928-915

Good!

Chez
11-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Meh, maybe I'm in the minority here but I enjoy the six crosstown games. It's an interesting interlude around June or July that breaks up a regular homestand against normal opponents like KC, Detroit, etc. One series at Wrigley, one series at The Cell. I don't think you need more or less. It's fine the way it is. I'm also skeptical that they would shave 3 games off. Both series sell tickets at premium prices and get good TV ratings. I don't think either team will want it reduced.

Oh, and to all the "bloom is off the rose" people... it really has to do with how the teams are doing in the standings. There was tons of buzz and hype for the two series in 2008 when both teams were in first place. Last season with the Cubs terrible and the Sox fighting around .500? Not so much.

I completely agree. You want to eliminate the three most popular home games of the season every other year and replace them with what? Three more games against Seattle or Baltimore or Colorado? No thanks. I thoroughly enjoy the Cubs series. And when the Sox are bad (which many on this board are predicting will be the case for the next few years), the series is usually the high point of the season.

Jerko
11-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Isn't that what the original plan was? Central v Central, etc etc? It's the fairest way IMO.

Soxman24
11-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Sounds good to me!

And me!

chisoxfanatic
11-15-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm tired of the whole thing, despite us having the upper-hand in it. I'd just rather scrap interleague play altogether and go back to the scheduling we had pre-1997. Have a more balanced league schedule by adding more games with the AL East teams.

Foulke You
11-15-2011, 05:44 PM
I completely agree. You want to eliminate the three most popular home games of the season every other year and replace them with what? Three more games against Seattle or Baltimore or Colorado? No thanks. I thoroughly enjoy the Cubs series. And when the Sox are bad (which many on this board are predicting will be the case for the next few years), the series is usually the high point of the season.
I agree. However, I wouldn't say the "high point" of the season but definitely more interesting than a mid June series against the Blue Jays or Orioles. Despite what is being said in this thread, WSI pays a ton of attention to these games. The game thread alone on 7/3/11 as the Sox tried to get a sweep vs. the Cubs had 336 posts. You don't stir that kind of attention or emotion in a 3 game set vs. Baltimore.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=128920&highlight=Sox+Cubs

Lip Man 1
11-15-2011, 11:19 PM
The original plan was division vs. division (i.e. East vs. East etc...) but some owners raised hell because they wanted to see the Yankees every three years or so in their ballpartk so naturally Selig caved in.

And you have postseason appearances being decidied in part by unbalanced interleague schedules that make little sense.

Lip

CLUBHOUSE KID
11-16-2011, 12:09 PM

All of this, 100% agreed. Glad I don't have to type all of that myself lol 2008 was unreal. That night game at home was the best. It has gotten worse but it's because both teams have gotten worse. Lastly, it was also fun pre-championship.

TommyGavinFloyd
11-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Anyone who thinks interleague should be "scrapped", don't pay attention to baseball news tomorrow...you're about to get a hell of a lot more of it.

sox1970
11-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Anyone who thinks interleague should be "scrapped", don't pay attention to baseball news tomorrow...you're about to get a hell of a lot more of it.

Could be 30 interleague games per team, which would mean there would be 6 AL, 6 NL, and 3 interleague series going at all times. Awful.

They would be going from 84 IL series and 252 games, to 150 IL series and 450 games. They better be careful or an NL team is going to make the playoffs with a losing record one of these years.

The only thing they're accomplishing is that the schedules would be even within the division, and having less travel coast-to-coast. Other than that, the new format is awful with the added wild card in 2013.

chisoxfanatic
11-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Does this cut into the number of games each team plays teams in their division?

sox1970
11-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Does this cut into the number of games each team plays teams in their division?

Here's what I think will happen:

18 vs Indians, Twins, Tigers, Royals (72 games)
6 vs the rest of AL teams (60 games)
3 vs Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers, Reds, Pirates every year--home and away alternate. (15 games)
3 vs the NL West teams one year. 3 vs the NL East teams the next year. (15 games)

Hitmen77
11-16-2011, 06:58 PM

Cutting a Cubs series isn't going to make us play Seattle more often. If anything, it will give us more of a chance to see more NL teams. I'm all for that.

I hate the Cubs/Sox series, so I'd be glad to see it reduced. It's all a matter of preference. Some people might think the season revolves around the Cubs match ups. But, to me, if the Sox suck, playing the Cubs more isn't going to make me more excited about Sox games.

If Jerry Reinsdorf needs 3 Cubs games every year to make sure enough people come to games, then he needs to re-think his policy of just rewarding loyalty over results. Build a consistent winner and we won't be relying on the Cubs to boost our attendance.

gregoriop
11-16-2011, 08:57 PM
I like the 6 games. They are usually good games no matter how well either team is doing. I also like the novelty of it in the middle of the season. In June, I take for granted those KC > DET > CLE stretches (or whoever).

Bruizer
11-21-2011, 08:39 AM
I like the idea. Perhaps they could do two games in one stadium and one in the other, and rotate that every year. :cool:

FarmerAndy
11-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Could be 30 interleague games per team, which would mean there would be 6 AL, 6 NL, and 3 interleague series going at all times. Awful.

They would be going from 84 IL series and 252 games, to 150 IL series and 450 games. They better be careful or an NL team is going to make the playoffs with a losing record one of these years.

The only thing they're accomplishing is that the schedules would be even within the division, and having less travel coast-to-coast. Other than that, the new format is awful with the added wild card in 2013.

I agree.

I wish Bud would croak before he has a chance to ruin everything even more.

chisoxfanatic
11-21-2011, 12:18 PM
I like the idea. Perhaps they could do two games in one stadium and one in the other, and rotate that every year. :cool:
If that happens, you'd have to have an unbalanced amount of home/road games against another team, since all teams must have 81 home and 81 road games. Not happening.

doublem23
11-21-2011, 12:26 PM
If that happens, you'd have to have an unbalanced amount of home/road games against another team, since all teams must have 81 home and 81 road games. Not happening.

That already happens now anyways. We had unbalanced number of home/road games against the Angels (3 home, 5 road), A's (7 home, 3 road), Mariners (3 home, 6 road), Rangers (5 home, 3 road), and Blue Jays (3 home, 7 road) last year.

DumpJerry
11-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Where is it written that teams are to have the same number of home and road games against their opponents? Nowhere.

DumpJerry
11-21-2011, 12:43 PM
I wish Bud would croak before he has a chance to ruin everything even more.
That won't change anything. Bud is just a mouthpiece for the owners who want to maximize their revenues even if it messes up long-held traditions.

sox1970
11-21-2011, 12:56 PM
That won't change anything. Bud is just a mouthpiece for the owners who want to maximize their revenues even if it messes up long-held traditions.

Agreed, and Reinsdorf is at the front of the line.

chisoxfanatic
11-21-2011, 01:08 PM
That already happens now anyways. We had unbalanced number of home/road games against the Angels (3 home, 5 road), A's (7 home, 3 road), Mariners (3 home, 6 road), Rangers (5 home, 3 road), and Blue Jays (3 home, 7 road) last year.
I'm aware of that. Perhaps I should've included "interleague" games in there, because it would mean that another interleague match-up would have to have the opposite number of home and road games to offset Sox/Cubs having a series where not all games are played in a single ballpark. That just creates logistical nightmares.

doublem23
11-21-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm aware of that. Perhaps I should've included "interleague" games in there, because it would mean that another interleague match-up would have to have the opposite number of home and road games to offset Sox/Cubs having a series where not all games are played in a single ballpark. That just creates logistical nightmares.

Well now that interleague is going to be happening year-round, I don't know if it qualifies as a "nightmare," but I agree it won't happen because it's kind of a silly idea.

nut_stock
11-21-2011, 01:41 PM
This poster's idea makes a lot of sense. While we lose 3 popular games agianst the Cubs...we gain 3 games vs the Cardinals and 3 vs the Brewers. I'll take this trade! :D::D:

Here's what I think will happen:

18 vs Indians, Twins, Tigers, Royals (72 games)
6 vs the rest of AL teams (60 games)
3 vs Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers, Reds, Pirates every year--home and away alternate. (15 games)
3 vs the NL West teams one year. 3 vs the NL East teams the next year. (15 games)

sox1970
11-21-2011, 02:35 PM
This poster's idea makes a lot of sense. While we lose 3 popular games agianst the Cubs...we gain 3 games vs the Cardinals and 3 vs the Brewers. I'll take this trade! :D::D:

It's not my idea. In fact, I hate it. It's just what I think they'll do if they go to 30 interleague games.

mahagga73
11-21-2011, 10:41 PM
It's not my idea. In fact, I hate it. It's just what I think they'll do if they go to 30 interleague games.
I like the idea of replacing the Cubs with the Cards ,I can see the Sox on the road,not at the Urinal.Thing is,what if the Cubs get good again with Theo,then we will miss that 2nd series.