PDA

View Full Version : Marlins Make Offers to Pujols, Reyes and Buehrle

Over By There
11-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/baseball/mlb/11/11/marlins-free-agency/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a14&eref=sihp)

The Miami Heat- er, Marlins have tried to buy a bunch of free agent talent. I would guess it's probably unlikely they land any of them.

Soxman219
11-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Can't say I blame them, they just trying to get people hyped for Miami's baseball team.

guillensdisciple
11-12-2011, 09:48 AM
If they land 1 of these 3, their offseason has been a success. Miami always has a good foundation.

Second favorite team in baseball. Kinda pissed Ozzwaldo is there but whatever.

DumpJerry
11-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Burls won't take the first offer he receives. He also knows Ozzie is a nut job.

doublem23
11-12-2011, 11:09 AM
If they land 1 of these 3, their offseason has been a success. Miami always has a good foundation.

LOL, what? 8 seasons since they won the World Series, average record: 80-82. Best record: 87-75

spawn
11-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Burls won't take the first offer he receives. He also knows Ozzie is a nut job.

I also wonder if he would play for Ozzie again considering he's witnessed firsthand the circus Ozzie and his fmily created the last couple of years.

guillensdisciple
11-12-2011, 11:36 AM
LOL, what? 8 seasons since they won the World Series, average record: 80-82. Best record: 87-75

No I know that, but that's pretty impressive for not spending ANY money at all and just going off of youth.

Just saying they're solid for a team with no superstars. Add one or two and you have a really good team.

soxfanreggie
11-12-2011, 12:01 PM
No I know that, but that's pretty impressive for not spending ANY money at all and just going off of youth.

Just saying they're solid for a team with no superstars. Add one or two and you have a really good team.

I'll echo that. At spend per win, they're at probably 25% of what the Yankees spend on a win.

They might not get Pujols, but they're showing that they aren't willing to offer the big name guys a deal.

Milw
11-12-2011, 08:16 PM

Well, before this year Hanley Ramirez was superstar caliber, if not exactly high profile. But he is homegrown talent, and your point is well taken. The Marlins of the past decade remind me a lot of the 90s Expos--a cheapskate franchise with almost no fan support that somehow always manages to be relatively competitive.

The common link between the old Expos and the current Marlins is, of course, Jeffrey Loria, which is simultaneously a telling insult and an impressive compliment, I suppose.

DumpJerry
11-12-2011, 09:59 PM
The Marlins know full well that the top shelf free agents are not going to take the first offer that comes down the pike unless it is something outrageous, like $30,000,000/year for ten years.

This way, they can tell their fans they are serious about getting top name free agents without spending a lot of money in the process.

pearso66
11-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Well, before this year Hanley Ramirez was superstar caliber, if not exactly high profile. But he is homegrown talent, and your point is well taken. The Marlins of the past decade remind me a lot of the 90s Expos--a cheapskate franchise with almost no fan support that somehow always manages to be relatively competitive.

The common link between the old Expos and the current Marlins is, of course, Jeffrey Loria, which is simultaneously a telling insult and an impressive compliment, I suppose.

Didn't Ramirez come from Boston in the swap for Beckett and Lowell? I don't think he spent any time in Florida's minor league, but I could be wrong.

DumpJerry
11-13-2011, 07:40 AM
Didn't Ramirez come from Boston in the swap for Beckett and Lowell? I don't think he spent any time in Florida's minor league, but I could be wrong.
You're correct (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/ramirha01.shtml).

Milw
11-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Yeah, you're right, I misremembered that one. Nevertheless, they acquired him before he was anything more than a prized prospect, so I think it still more or less counts.