PDA

View Full Version : Memo to Theo - Chicago is not Boston

Fenway
11-10-2011, 02:45 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/11/a_memo_to_theo.html

There is another team in town, which can occasionally ease or enhance the pressure. But bear in mind, for you the South Side is a foreign country.

Whitesox029
11-10-2011, 03:33 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/11/a_memo_to_theo.html
He should have added that the South Side will already be sick of hearing his name by the time November rolls around. Certainly true in my case. ("A Cubs Story"? Really, Tribune?)

DumpJerry
11-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Pretty lame attempt at humor. He tells him because of the grid system, he'll never be lost, but in the next breath he says "get a limo.":scratch:

Oh, what about all the diagonal streets? They can throw you off on your directions around town.

Just chalk this up as another writer who claims to "know" Chicago. It's a shame this guy lived here, he did not learn anything.

TDog
11-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Pretty lame attempt at humor. He tells him because of the grid system, he'll never be lost, but in the next breath he says "get a limo.":scratch:

Oh, what about all the diagonal streets? They can throw you off on your directions around town.

Just chalk this up as another writer who claims to "know" Chicago. It's a shame this guy lived here, he did not learn anything.

I never lived in Chicago, but was in Chicago quite a bit while living in Northwest Indiana. Some years ago, I was on Archer Avenue and lost. I just kept driving trying to find a reference point and suddenly the street signs were in Chinese.

DumpJerry
11-10-2011, 04:39 PM
I never lived in Chicago, but was in Chicago quite a bit while living in Northwest Indiana. Some years ago, I was on Archer Avenue and lost. I just kept driving trying to find a reference point and suddenly the street signs were in Chinese.
That's a long drive!

DSpivack
11-10-2011, 05:00 PM

Like Clark!

SoxandtheCityTee
11-10-2011, 05:37 PM
OK, you big talkers: Sporcle has a quiz about Chicago's diagonal streets. Knock yourselves out -- easy it ain't.

slavko
11-10-2011, 07:03 PM
OK, you big talkers: Sporcle has a quiz about Chicago's diagonal streets. Knock yourselves out -- easy it ain't.

As if I didn't already have enough time waster websites. This is going to put me over the top. The quiz missed a lot of valid diagonal streets, even if you leave out the half-block long ones that adjoin Milwaukee and Elston. Not that I got all the ones it did contain.

Nice respite from the Big Sordid Topic of the day.

doublem23
11-11-2011, 08:37 AM

I suppose that is possible if you can't do third grade math

cheezheadsoxfan
11-12-2011, 04:10 PM
I was born, raised and lived in Chicago for 30 years. I still go every chance I get and I still can get lost on the North Side. I can do math, I just think it's partly subconscious.

The South Side to me, has the best system, half numbers, half names. Kenosha has all numbers and people will say "52nd and 40th" without adding which is the street and which the avenue. Not good for your average right-brainers.

Maybe I just miss the South Side.:rolleyes:

doublem23
11-17-2011, 08:52 AM
I was born, raised and lived in Chicago for 30 years. I still go every chance I get and I still can get lost on the North Side. I can do math, I just think it's partly subconscious.

The South Side to me, has the best system, half numbers, half names. Kenosha has all numbers and people will say "52nd and 40th" without adding which is the street and which the avenue. Not good for your average right-brainers.

Maybe I just miss the South Side.:rolleyes:

It's too bad that only a very small part of the south side is west of Pulaski Road, but that is the best of both worlds; the east-west streets are all numbered and then the north-south streets have names, but their grouped by 1st letter so you have a general idea of if you have to go east or west (for instance, the 1st mile between Pulaski and Cicero, every side street begins with a K, the 2nd mile between Cicero and Central, everything begins with an L, and so on).

FielderJones
11-17-2011, 09:29 AM
(for instance, the 1st mile between Pulaski and Cicero, every side street begins with a K.

Except for Tripp! :tongue: (grew up at 68th & Kildare)

DumpJerry
11-17-2011, 10:30 AM
It's too bad that only a very small part of the south side is west of Pulaski Road, but that is the best of both worlds; the east-west streets are all numbered and then the north-south streets have names, but their grouped by 1st letter so you have a general idea of if you have to go east or west (for instance, the 1st mile between Pulaski and Cicero, every side street begins with a K, the 2nd mile between Cicero and Central, everything begins with an L, and so on).
You know why the streets on the North Side are not numbered?

North Siders can't count that high.

tebman
11-17-2011, 12:24 PM
You know why the streets on the North Side are not numbered?

North Siders can't count that high.

http://www.fuduntu.org/forum/images/smilies/user83559_pic43268_1255723460.gif