PDA

View Full Version : Indians owner: 'George is a large part of our problem'

Jerry_Manuel
07-16-2002, 09:45 PM
Cleveland Indians owner Larry Dolan blamed New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner for some of baseball's economic problems and said a strike might be necessary.

Dolan took offense at Steinbrenner's criticism of Minnesota Twins owner Carl Pohlad for not spending enough money.

"What he doesn't say is George is not spending George's money. George is spending revenue that most of us don't have,'' Dolan said.

They wonder why they always lose (http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0716/1406472.html)

nut_stock
07-17-2002, 12:12 AM
United we stand; Divided we fall.

Daver
07-17-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
United we stand; Divided we fall.

And that is why the players always win.Bud is not capable of unifying the people that pay his salary,yet they expect him to run a league?

Jerry_Manuel
07-17-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by daver
And that is why the players always win.Bud is not capable of unifying the people that pay his salary,yet they expect him to run a league?

Exactly. How can they expect to beat Fehr, when their fighting with Steinbrenner?

dougs78
07-17-2002, 11:35 AM
I understand the point you guys are making about the solidarity of the owners. However, you have to admit they are 100% correct in blaming Steinbrenner. He is really whats more wrong with baseball than anything else. Its the culture he has created that doesn't allow the other businesses to compete. On one hand I say great for him...he has found a way to monopolize the industry, but on the other hand, I say to him, "what an idiot." Hes exacerbating a system that if its carried out further in this direction will result in its imminent destruction.

SI1020
07-17-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Exactly. How can they expect to beat Fehr, when their fighting with Steinbrenner? It is to Steinbrenners advantage that the players win. If they win then he wins. And the players have always won haven't they?

Dadawg_77
07-17-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
I understand the point you guys are making about the solidarity of the owners. However, you have to admit they are 100% correct in blaming Steinbrenner. He is really whats more wrong with baseball than anything else. Its the culture he has created that doesn't allow the other businesses to compete. On one hand I say great for him...he has found a way to monopolize the industry, but on the other hand, I say to him, "what an idiot." Hes exacerbating a system that if its carried out further in this direction will result in its imminent destruction.

George may cause problems, but the reality is the teams which don't spend wisely are the major problem. The price of mediocre play is killing some teams. Cleavland is paying 70 million dollars this season for what? Why are people like Greg Vaughn, Wilson Alarez, Carl Everet, Mike Hampton, Darren Dreifort, Chan Ho Park, Raul Mondesi get what they are getting paid? Who was the last Yankee high priced bust? Money doesn't win championships, it really help, but talent evaluation does win championships.

dougs78
07-17-2002, 01:18 PM
Good talent evaluation (and being able to acquire and sign this talent) takes money as well.

Paulwny
07-17-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Who was the last Yankee high priced bust? Money doesn't win championships, it really help, but talent evaluation does win championships.

Drew Henson - $20 mil can't get out of AAA

Sterling Hitchcock- $4.9 mil Has been in 9 games era= 7.48

A. Hernandez (El Duques brother)- $2mil still in AAA

(?) Morales-- $2 mil , out of baseball

The yankmees will get another player to make up for their bust signings. They keep winning so noone sees the bad signings.

Dadawg_77
07-17-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Drew Henson - $20 mil can't get out of AAA

Sterling Hitchcock- $4.9 mil Has been in 9 games era= 7.48

A. Hernandez (El Duques brother)- $2mil still in AAA

(?) Morales-- $2 mil , out of baseball

The yankmees will get another player to make up for their bust signings. They keep winning so noone sees the bad signings.

The biggest price tag on that list is Henson. Which he commanded becuase of his football skills. So Hitchcock, is there biggest bust, at 4.9 million dollars. The names I posted all are getting paid over 8 million dollars.

Paulwny
07-17-2002, 01:57 PM

The biggest price tag on that list is Henson. Which he commanded becuase of his football skills. So Hitchcock, is there biggest bust, at 4.9 million dollars. The names I posted all are getting paid over 8 million dollars.

Granted, except for Hitchcock the rest are minor league busts, so much for the " evaluation of talent" by the GREAT yankmee scouts. If the sox paid this much for minor league busts all hell would break out.

Dadawg_77
07-17-2002, 02:03 PM
I guess, I am saying that money does grealty help in putting together a championship team, but you can't just buy a ring. Ask the O's. Everyone has busts, just the Yankees don't seem to ever pay 8 million dollars a year for the Greg Vaughns of the world. But then again the Yankees can be very selective if they want to be.

Paulwny
07-17-2002, 02:09 PM
I guess, I am saying that money does grealty help in putting together a championship team, but you can't just buy a ring. Ask the O's. Everyone has busts, just the Yankees don't seem to ever pay 8 million dollars a year for the Greg Vaughns of the world. But then again the Yankees can be very selective if they want to be.

Agree, but doesn't the fact that the highest payrolls have gone to the WS over the last 5 yrs. show that only $$$ can bring championships.