PDA

View Full Version : Gene Lamont to interview for Red Sox manager

Fenway
11-08-2011, 08:50 PM
This came out of left field.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/11/red_sox_to_inte.html

Vernam
11-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Makes sense, assuming Bevington isn't available.

Vernam

DSpivack
11-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Gene Lamont? Are they that desperate?

He wasn't very good with the White Sox, right?

Daver
11-08-2011, 09:11 PM

I had no issue with Lamont, he did what he was expected to do, stay out of the way.

Fenway
11-08-2011, 09:17 PM

Manager of a division winner in 93- 94 club was doing fine until the strike.

Had a slow start in 95 and was canned in favor of Bevington.

Moses_Scurry
11-08-2011, 09:21 PM
I just remember him being really boring.

Brian26
11-08-2011, 09:57 PM
I had no issue with Lamont, he did what he was expected to do, stay out of the way.

Lamont was solid. I can't figure out why you didn't like Torborg, though.

tstrike2000
11-08-2011, 10:02 PM
He wasn't exciting, but most good managers aren't. I always liked Lamont.

Huisj
11-08-2011, 10:02 PM
He mostly looked like he was asleep in the dugout from what I remember. But a good kind of asleep, not a Jerry Manuel kind of asleep.

Brian26
11-08-2011, 10:09 PM
He mostly looked like he was asleep in the dugout from what I remember. But a good kind of asleep, not a Jerry Manuel kind of asleep.

Watch the Ventura-Nolan Ryan fight again to see what a fired-up Gene Lamont looked like. It was pretty fun to watch. In the same fight, which Lamont was in the heart of, you can see Ozzie dancing around somewhere behind the pitchers mound afraid to get touched.

Fenway
11-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Watch the Ventura-Nolan Ryan fight again to see what a fired-up Gene Lamont looked like. It was pretty fun to watch. In the same fight, which Lamont was in the heart of, you can see Ozzie dancing around somewhere behind the pitchers mound afraid to get touched.

3zwDkrGKlCg

PalehosePlanet
11-08-2011, 10:31 PM
No way Sleepy Gene gets this job, he's still in baseball because he's Leyland's sidekick. He is the baseball version of Dick Jauron.

tstrike2000
11-08-2011, 10:32 PM

I was just thinking about that fight. Lamont was about as fired up as I've seen any manager in a bench clearing incident.

Brian26
11-08-2011, 10:47 PM
3zwDkrGKlCg

You get to see four of the next five Sox managers in the first 16 seconds of this clip. Ventura charges the mound, Bevington has Ryan in a headlock at 0:13, Lamont is in the middle of the pile at 0:16 (centerfield shot) and Ozzie is dancing around behind the mound at 0:16. Good Lamont at 4:15 or so. Look at Lamont yelling at someone in the crowd at 4:43! Look at Ozzie from 5:25-5:35....bad (while Lamont is on the ground). More good Lamont at 6:00.

slavko
11-08-2011, 11:14 PM
For some of us it's style over substance. We'd probably never hire Wallter Alston if we ran a team.

Vernam
11-08-2011, 11:34 PM
For some of us it's style over substance. We'd probably never hire Wallter Alston if we ran a team.

This really cracked me up. I can just see Sox fans hatin' on Alston for imagined slights. It's in our genes.

New respect for Lamont after seeing him in that video. I was living out of state then, or maybe I'd remember it more clearly. Other than that, the guy was still a mope, though. :tongue:

Vernam

Lamp81
11-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Had a slow start in 95 and was canned in favor of Bevington.
This, in retrospect, may have been one of the worst decisions in Sox history. Bevington was beyond awful as a manager. How he was retained after the '96 season is beyond me. 1997 was one of the hardest years to be a Sox fan. Of course, I wanted them to win the games, but in a way I wanted them to lose, so they'd finally get rid of Bevington.

I was surprised when he was invited back for the Thomas 35 retirement ceremony.

Oblong
11-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Lamont is now the 3B coach for the Tigers and his reputation is that he's the worst 3B coach of all time. Tigers fans would love to see him get this job. I wish I could find the stat somewhere if it's even tracked, I've looked all over, to see if the Tigers lead the league in runners thrown out at home. That's his reputation. When in doubt, send him. He cost Maggs $8 million in 2011. Sent him home in July of 2010 and he broke his ankle, missed the rest of the year, missed out on an option that would have kicked in for $18 million.

I saw him send Casper Wells this year.... when the OF got the ball, he was still 2 full strides from even reaching 3B.

SI1020
11-09-2011, 09:28 AM
He wasn't exciting, but most good managers aren't. I always liked Lamont. I did too and never understood all the criticism around here. They pulled the plug on him way too soon in 95, and then hired someone that really was bad.

downstairs
11-09-2011, 10:31 AM
You get to see four of the next five Sox managers in the first 16 seconds of this clip. Ventura charges the mound, Bevington has Ryan in a headlock at 0:13, Lamont is in the middle of the pile at 0:16 (centerfield shot) and Ozzie is dancing around behind the mound at 0:16. Good Lamont at 4:15 or so. Look at Lamont yelling at someone in the crowd at 4:43! Look at Ozzie from 5:25-5:35....bad (while Lamont is on the ground). More good Lamont at 6:00.

Good catch at 4:43. "Go **** yourself, *******!"

SOXSINCE'70
11-09-2011, 11:04 AM
I am a White Sox fan,and I still say this is one of the funniest thinsgs I have ever seen happen in a baseball game.
Nolan's "Noogies" are second only to Steve Lyon's pulling down his pants at first base in Detroit in 1990.:D:

Lip Man 1
11-09-2011, 11:57 AM
From my interview with Donn Pall:

DP: "As far as Pudge having lost it, I donít agree with that at all. He still worked very hard but the problem was he was only playing maybe once a week and when you are at that age, not playing causes you to lose your skills quickly. He and Gene (Lamont), didnít get along at all and it started one day when Pudge got thrown out for arguing balls and strikes with an ump.

He must have been out there two or three minutes and during that entire time, Gene never came out of the dugout! I mean managers always come out to defend their players and Gene didnít do that. I lost some respect for him that day and Iím sure the other guys did as well."

Lip

TheVulture
11-09-2011, 02:59 PM
1997 was one of the hardest years to be a Sox fan.

What about '98? Thomas, Ventura AND ALBERT FRICKIN' BELLE leads to 80-82? God that pitching staff was putrid.

TDog
11-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Lamont is now the 3B coach for the Tigers and his reputation is that he's the worst 3B coach of all time. ...

Did he ever get a runner called out during a ninth-inning rally that fell short because he made contact with a runner coming around third base? Did a player ever call him out for sending him home on a play that led to an injury?

If Tigers fans believe Lamont has a reputation as baseball's all-time worst third-base coach, they don't watch enough baseball. Or maybe Lamont's actions as third-base coach included incidents cited in the above paragraph, and I don't watch enough Tigers baseball.

doublem23
11-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Did he ever get a runner called out during a ninth-inning rally that fell short because he made contact with a runner coming around third base? Did a player ever call him out for sending him home on a play that led to an injury?

If you would have read about 2 more sentences in the post you quoted you would have seen yes, that did happen.

slavko
11-09-2011, 04:53 PM
I am a White Sox fan,and I still say this is one of the funniest thinsgs I have ever seen happen in a baseball game.
Nolan's "Noogies" are second only to Steve Lyon's pulling down his pants at first base in Detroit in 1990.:D:

They were noogies, all right. Nolan took it easy on him. Robin should have gone in hard, either high or low. Instead he basically stuck his head in "put me in a headlock" position and paid the price.:cool:

TheVulture
11-09-2011, 05:21 PM
They were noogies, all right. Nolan took it easy on him. Robin should have gone in hard, either high or low. Instead he basically stuck his head in "put me in a headlock" position and paid the price.:cool:

I don't know, he got a pretty good blow in, uppercut to the face, right before they went down.

WSox597
11-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Gee, I wonder how many times that video will make the Ranger scoreboard when the Sox are in town?

Probably non-stop in a corner somewhere. The whole Ryan and Ventura thing will be too hard to resist, I'm sure.

We'd probably do the same thing if it were reversed. LOL

TDog
11-09-2011, 07:59 PM
If you would have read about 2 more sentences in the post you quoted you would have seen yes, that did happen.

I don't believe it did. I don't believe the runner blamed the coach in a news conference, which has happened elsewhere.

Lip Man 1
11-09-2011, 10:49 PM
WSox597:

Ryan said that video will not run when the Sox are in Arlington out of respect to Ventura.

Lip

Lamp81
11-10-2011, 12:14 AM
This, in retrospect, may have been one of the worst decisions in Sox history. Bevington was beyond awful as a manager. How he was retained after the '96 season is beyond me. 1997 was one of the hardest years to be a Sox fan. Of course, I wanted them to win the games, but in a way I wanted them to lose, so they'd finally get rid of Bevington.

I was surprised when he was invited back for the Thomas 35 retirement ceremony.

On top of this, IIRC, Leyland turned the Sox down to replace Bevington, because he didn't like how the Sox fired Lamont, and replaced him with Bevington.

Fenway
11-13-2011, 02:39 AM
Lamont had his interview on Saturday.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/11/lamont_makes_hi.html

http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/2011_1113lamont_talks_good_game/

Reminds me of Jimy Williams - which isn't a bad thing.

Brian26
11-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Lamont was the third base coach of the Red Sox of the Red Sox in 2001 under Jimy Williams and Joe Kerrigan. He went from there to the Astros and for the last six seasons has been with the Tigers.

Have to love the editorial staff in Boston. :redneck

Fenway
11-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Have to love the editorial staff in Boston. :redneck

:scratch: He followed Jimy Williams to Houston...

Brian26
11-13-2011, 12:53 PM
I was talking about "of the Red Sox of the Red Sox".

It is amazing how many of these mistake you see on newspaper sites on a daily basis.

Fenway
11-13-2011, 01:12 PM

It is amazing how many of these mistake you see on newspaper sites on a daily basis.

LOL I am so used to it now my brain edits them out.

Lamont may get this gig as the others may not want to be a yes man for the GM - Gene wants to manage again badly and may agree.

slavko
11-13-2011, 01:15 PM

And in books. From reputable publishers. By known authors. The spell checker can't be the only means of cleaning up what someone writes. But getting someone else to actually read what is written before it's sent to the presses is a thing of the past in this new, cost-conscious world.

I try to help my local library by underlining, in pencil, the mistakes.:smile:

TDog
11-13-2011, 03:07 PM

There are reasons for that, and a big one is economics. Media corporations, being in it to make money as opposed to news organizations that were looking to make money while reporting news, have drastically cut the number of copy editors. There is a belief among bean counters that many of the functions of copy editing can be computerized. When I was in journalism school, there was a belief that computer assisted journalism would eliminate copy editors altogether.

I had a tendency to double words and phrases that I didn't always catch before turning in copy. When you compose a story, you hesitate at moments to think about what you are going to write next. Some writers have a tendency to begin with the word or phrase where they left off. It is more difficult to edit your own work because you know what you were trying to write. The copy editors I worked with were aware of my tendency and they would catch it.

With fewer copy editors spending less time with copy, and fewer copy editors still who have a relationship with the writers, you find a lot more mistakes, and it is more frequent online because things are run through more quickly. The way human brains work (and this may change with evolution), it is easier to catch errors in hard copy than on a display screen, especially when scrolling is involved, but there aren't many corrections made from hard copy anymore because fewer people go over page proofs before things are printed, and when they do, they generally only go over things like headlines. Still, I remember waking up to the Dallas Times Herald as a kid and seeing that "Mebicare" was passed. Typos have always existed and probably always will. I once saw an ad for "soiled oak toilet seats," fortunately before it made its way into print.

Of course, when studies count up the mistakes from different sources, they don't differentiate between "of the Red Sox of the Red Sox" and outright distortions of fact. I am more concerned with rumors and blogs and flat-out distortion passing for news, as well as news being whoever screams the loudest or what most people want to believe. Forget the art, a great article is one that reinforces your beliefs instead of one that challenges them.

That doesn't make the mistake you referenced any less embarrassing for the writer.

Fenway
11-13-2011, 03:12 PM
How THIS slipped by

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/167872_1744609807766_1014362077_31970924_7692397_n .jpg

Lamp81
11-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Lamont had his interview on Saturday.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/11/lamont_makes_hi.html

http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/2011_1113lamont_talks_good_game/

Reminds me of Jimy Williams - which isn't a bad thing.

In the BH article, it says Lamont even managed Sveum in Pittsburgh, yet no mention of managing Sveum with the White Sox 1992. IIRC, Sveum was picked up to replace Ozzie, after Ozzie was injured and out for the season.

TommyJohn
11-14-2011, 08:25 AM
How THIS slipped by

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/167872_1744609807766_1014362077_31970924_7692397_n .jpg

That isn't even the only mistake: Bears-Packers is not the NFL's oldest rivalry, Bears-Cardinals is.

SI1020
11-14-2011, 08:52 AM
How THIS slipped by

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/167872_1744609807766_1014362077_31970924_7692397_n .jpg Some others are even better than this one.

http://www.oddee.com/item_96156.aspx

Lip Man 1
11-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Lamp:

I believe that Dale replaced Grebeck after he got hurt the final month of the 92 season. Craig replaced Ozzie in late April after Ozzie blew out his knee.

Lip

BleacherBandit
11-14-2011, 11:28 AM
That isn't even the only mistake: Bears-Packers is not the NFL's oldest rivalry, Bears-Cardinals is.

Continuous rival? I don't know anyone who still thinks the Bears and Cardinals are rivals.

soxinem1
11-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Lamp:

I believe that Dale replaced Grebeck after he got hurt the final month of the 92 season. Craig replaced Ozzie in late April after Ozzie blew out his knee.

Lip

Don't forget that Esteban Beltre was part of the SS merry-go-round in 1992.

Johnny Mostil
11-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Continuous rival? I don't know anyone who still thinks the Bears and Cardinals are rivals.

OT from original post, but I suppose the Bears and Cardinals are old rivals in the same way Princeton and Rutgers are . . .

But the Bears and Packers aren't even that old as continuous rivals, albeit because of a historical quirk. Because of the strike of 1982, which cancelled seven weeks of games, the Bears and Packers did not play each other that year. (The Bears did play the Lions twice that year and the Vikings once--making them older continuous rivals for the Bears than the Packers are.)

jdm2662
11-14-2011, 01:13 PM

Of course, there are some that wish the Cardinals never moved and pretend to be fans of them on the very few years they actually win more than six games... But, that's for another thread.

TommyJohn
11-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Of course, there are some that wish the Cardinals never moved and pretend to be fans of them on the very few years they actually win more than six games... But, that's for another thread.

Whatever.

TommyJohn
11-15-2011, 04:06 PM

I'm going by calendar. The first Bears (Decatur Staleys)-Cardinals game was in 1920. The first Bears-Packers game was in 1921. And as one poster pointed out, it isn't even the longest continuous rivalry due to the strike in 1982.

End thread hijack.

Fenway
11-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Lamont is coming back for a second interview which indicates Bobby Valentine is not a slam dunk.

Sandy Alomar, jr was told he is no longer in the running.

Valentine would be a disaster as he totally lost the Mets a decade ago.

asindc
11-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Why is no one seriously considering Dave Martinez?

PalehosePlanet
11-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Why is no one seriously considering Dave Martinez?

I have absolutely no idea, it makes no sense especially when you consider the options.

Or a better question would be: Why would anyone in their right mind consider Sleepy Gene Lamont for manager? There is a reason no team has decided to retread him in 17 years.

palehozenychicty
11-23-2011, 06:54 AM
I can't understand why nobody wants D Martinez either. Perhaps he'll get lucky and find a better opportunity next year. He won't be worse for learning more under Maddon.

palehozenychicty
11-23-2011, 06:57 AM
Lamont is coming back for a second interview which indicates Bobby Valentine is not a slam dunk.

Sandy Alomar, jr was told he is no longer in the running.

Valentine would be a disaster as he totally lost the Mets a decade ago.

Gene Lamont, as many said, was a sleepy, but solid manager after Torborg, but '94 killed his reign and the franchise for awhile. If nobody wants you after 17-18 years, there is a reason. Are they really convinced that he'd handle the fishbowl of the Hub better than Martinez, who is in the AL East regularly?

Fenway
11-25-2011, 04:46 PM
It 'appears' Lucchino wants Valentine - Charrington wants Lamont

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2011/11/25/and-then-there-were-probably-two-lamont-and-valentine-likely-finalists-for-sox/

Fenway
11-28-2011, 06:04 PM
The Red Sox are at complete civil war.

Shaugnessey posted a column at 2 PM and both sportstalk radio stations forgot about the Patriots.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/11/28/looks_like_theres_a_power_struggle_on_yawkey_way/?p1=News_links

Dan based his column in part on this

http://www.murraychass.com/?p=4056

NOW - WEEI is suggesting Charrington will quit if Valentine is hired.

Where are the other 2 owners? In Liverpool :tongue:

palehozenychicty
11-28-2011, 06:41 PM
They are looking like a fourth-place team if they don't have a good winter. Toronto is getting better by the hour. They are real close if they can get a good starter.

Fenway
11-28-2011, 06:55 PM
They are looking like a fourth-place team if they don't have a good winter. Toronto is getting better by the hour. They are real close if they can get a good starter.

2 months to hire a manager?? That has to be a record.

There has to be something we don't know about going on as these are not stupid people running that club.

PKalltheway
11-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Or a better question would be: Why would anyone in their right mind consider Sleepy Gene Lamont for manager? There is a reason no team has decided to retread him in 17 years.
Well, it hasn't been quite that long (Lamont last managed in 2000 for the Pirates), but I definitely understand your point. Odd choice.

PKalltheway
11-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Dan based his column in part on this

http://www.murraychass.com/?p=4056

Wow, that was absolutely scathing. He gets pretty personal with this, but I've read somewhat similar stuff in the past about Valentine's nature. Perhaps that is why he has gone so long without a MLB managing gig?

Also, I did not know that he has managed the third-most games in MLB history without finishing in first-place. Yikes.

Fenway
11-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Karl Ravech of ESPN is reporting that Gene Lamont has been eliminated from the Red Sox search and that an offer to Bobby Valentine is imminent.

BUT

UPDATE, 6:40 p.m.: A Red Sox source says that report is not true and Lamont remains in the mix.

Lamont said just minutes ago on WEEI that he has not been informed any such thing by the Red Sox.

BainesHOF
11-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Lamont was a sleepy dope with us. The players quit on him in his last season. Plus he jacked around Fisk to make him look bad.

SoxandtheCityTee
11-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Not a sleepy dope, IMO, in '92 (his first year), '93 (Manager of the Year) or '94 (first place when strike hit). The following year -- his last - was bad for all sorts of reasons. Maybe the players did quit on him, getting him fired mid-season. But as they didn't unquit for his replacement (:shudder) I'm not sure it was all his fault. Fisk, like many supremely great players, had a hard time letting go.

Oblong
11-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Seems to me that the Red Sox want drama and charisma around and Lamont doesn't provide that. Valentine does.

Lip Man 1
11-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Sox:

The team actually had a better record under Bevington (shudder) than under Lamont in 95.

Lip

SoxandtheCityTee
11-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Sox:

The team actually had a better record under Bevington (shudder) than under Lamont in 95.

Lip

I know. Sometimes the manager has to go, and things get better for a while, but that doesn't always mean the bad dynamic was down to him 100%.

I guess with Bevington I think reflexively of the body of work, not just '95.

Anyway, Boston went the other way (no surprise) so Lamont is just still a third base coach.