PDA

View Full Version : Twins GM Fired

#1swisher
11-07-2011, 03:04 PM
MLB

BREAKING: Twins announce that Terry Ryan has assumed role of
interim general manager, replacing Bill Smith.

KMcMahon817
11-07-2011, 03:12 PM
For those of you who don't know, Terry Ryan was the GM of the Twins from 1994-2007. Bill Smith, who has a great story of how he got to where he is (was) today, replaced Ryan prior to the 2008 season.

DirtySox
11-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Should have happened a few weeks ago.

WhiteSox5187
11-07-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm surprised they fired him, granted they had a terrible season this year but they've been very good every other year.

Fenway
11-07-2011, 03:17 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/133383113.html

ElevenUp
11-07-2011, 03:50 PM
He got the axe in a very fundamentally sound way.

DumpJerry
11-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Next on the chopping block: Gardenhire. New manager: Timberwolf.

palehozenychicty
11-07-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm kinda smirking. For all of our problems, I think we are better than the Twins right now. I really do. :redneck

Nellie_Fox
11-07-2011, 11:57 PM
I'm kinda smirking. For all of our problems, I think we are better than the Twins right now. I really do. :redneckOnly if Mauer and Morneau continue to have health issues.

palehozenychicty
11-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Only if Mauer and Morneau continue to have health issues.

2012 will be a big year for both of them. My gut doesn't see them rising to their 05-09 levels. They are still relatively young, but two consecutive years of injury become four.

Twins_Morneau
11-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Wow this is a shocker... Glad Bill got the axe he's been making horrible trades since taking over for Ryan.

Santanna for Gomez
Bartlett/Garza for Delmon
Ramos for Capps

tstrike2000
11-08-2011, 07:25 AM

They also really need to address that bullpen. Losing Crain, Guerrier, and having Nathan stink also hurt them.

asindc
11-08-2011, 07:56 AM
They also really need to address that bullpen. Losing Crain, Guerrier, and having Nathan stink also hurt them.

... and they also need to do something to improve their starting rotation. Pavano became Pavano again, Liriano looks like he will never find 2006 again, and the rest are who they are. They also need to find a way to keep Cuddyer and Kubel as Mauer's annual salary continues to increase. Other than that, they should be fine.

ma-gaga
11-08-2011, 08:10 AM
:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

I hated Bill Smith. He wasn't a "talent evaluator" and it showed.

:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

DonnieDarko
11-08-2011, 08:59 AM
He got the axe in a very fundamentally sound way.

i c wut u did thar

And I think that we have our reason for why he was fired.

Irishsox1
11-08-2011, 09:26 AM
They win the division, then come in last place and the guy gets fired.

Kenny wouldn't last too long with the Twins.

TheOldRoman
11-08-2011, 09:35 AM

Kenny wouldn't last too long with the Twins.Totally. They'd really be pissed off about him winning a world series, too. Apples to oranges. The White Sox are clearly the worst team EVAR! but the Twins are in a worse situation. Their rotation is worse, their bullpen is worse, they are likely to lose Kubel and Cuddyer this year, their two best players, who are taking up an insane amount of their payroll, may never be the same again, and Smith has made a lot of bad moves since he took over. The Twins are suffering in part because they aren't able to pull some crappy player off the AA pile and have him hit .400 for half a season anymore. If Mauer and Morneau aren't able to return to full health, the Twins are going to be looking at some high draft picks over the next five years.

asindc
11-08-2011, 09:58 AM

Kenny wouldn't last too long with the Twins.

When KW has a team finish last in the division after finishing the previous season first, then I'll see an apple for an apple.

Foulke You
11-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I can definitely see Mauer rebounding next year but I really believe Morneau's career might be finished. He was injury prone before the concussion and afterward seemed like a shell of his former self.

DumpJerry
11-08-2011, 04:47 PM
I can definitely see Mauer rebounding next year but I really believe Morneau's career might be finished. He was injury prone before the concussion and afterward seemed like a shell of his former self.
I agree with you on Morneau, but Mauer seems to get hurt every year for the past couple of seasons.

KMcMahon817
11-08-2011, 05:55 PM
There have been whispers among Twins fans/Minnesotans that Mauer's health woes are quite serious, and that the team hasn't quite made all of his issues public.

This year will definitely be quite interesting as far as Mauer's ability to stay on the field and his performance while on it. The Twins badly need him to be in the everyday lineup. That is the type of contract that could immediately cripple the organization for the majority of the next decade.