PDA

View Full Version : Royals Acquire Jonathan Sanchez

DirtySox
11-07-2011, 12:15 PM
BenBadler Ben Badler
RT @Royals Royals acquire LHP Jonathan Sanchez and Ryan Verdugo from Giants for OF Melky Cabrera.
7 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Finally an opening for Lorenzo Cain. He can actually play defense in CF.

The Immigrant
11-07-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm glad to see Melky out of the AL Central.

pythons007
11-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Wow, that might be a fleecing by the Royals. Sanchez is pretty good pitcher.

KMcMahon817
11-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Hallelujah. Melky just kills the SOX.

DirtySox
11-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Wow, that might be a fleecing by the Royals. Sanchez is pretty good pitcher.

It looks like a good deal for both sides. Melky likely has peaked, but he's still no schlub. A decent addition for the Giants. For the Royals, Melky was blocking a well thought of prospect in Lorenzo Cain (.312/.380/.497 in AAA, playing a fine CF) while also obtaining some much needed pitching.

KMcMahon817
11-07-2011, 12:46 PM
It looks like a good deal for both sides. Melky likely has peaked, but he's still no schlub. A decent addition for the Giants. For the Royals, Melky was blocking a well thought of prospect in Lorenzo Cain while also obtaining some much needed pitching.

True..and both Melky and Sanchez are FA after 2012. Hard for a trade to really be a "fleecing" when both players are only under contract for one season.

pythons007
11-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Melky has been nothing more than a journeyman outfielder. He put up a career year this year, and the Royals cashed in on his preformance. I'm sure the Royals will try and sign Sanchez to a multi year deal soon. Sanchez, minus last year is a high strikeout lefty pitcher.

EMachine10
11-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Good trade for the Royals. Cain looks like a good one and Sanchez is a nice pitcher.

PaleHoser
11-07-2011, 01:48 PM
I like this trade for the Royals.

If they get some more arms to go with their regular lineup, look out.

DirtySox
11-07-2011, 01:52 PM
I like this trade for the Royals.

If they get some more arms to go with their regular lineup, look out.

Plenty of rumors that the Royals are searching for a top of the rotation pitcher, using Wil Myers as trade bait. The Braves supposedly offered up Jair Jurrjens for him which Dayton turned down. One wonders if KC will be going after Shields who might be on the market.

TDog
11-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Because I like the Giants, I had hoped they wouldn't give up Jonathan Sanchez. He can be a very good pitcher, an overpowering pitcher. He has control issues. However, he didn't walk anyone in his no-hitter. The only baserunner reached on a Juan Uribe error. There was some frustration late in the season with Sanchez, along with the feeling that he wasn't going to live up to his potential.

Sanchez has only one career start against the White Sox. In San Francisco a few years ago, he lost 2-0 with Alexei Ramirez hitting his first career home run, in the seventh I believe, for the only White Sox offense.

Sabean should be commended, though. Andres Torres has been a fan favorite since his breakout season in 2010, which is beginning to look more like an anomalous season from a journeyman ballplayer. This trade would appear to relegate Torres to part-time status. The Giants didn't win the NL West last year because they were the most banged-up team in baseball. I think they used the DL close to 30 times, and it gutted their offense. This move will help the offense at least. But what the Giants really need is a solid shortstop.

Foulke You
11-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Melky Cabrera career #s in 49 games vs. the Sox:

.335 avg
9HR
32RBI
64 hits
12 doubles
.560 SLG
.920 OPS :o:

I'll take my chances against Sanchez. Melky Cabrera absolutely destroys us and I'm glad he is gone.

palehozenychicty
11-07-2011, 04:03 PM
A solid trade by the Jesters. If Sanchez can control the walks, he is filthy. He also has postseason experience, which will be an asset for a green squad.

Zakath
11-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Sabean should be commended, though. Andres Torres has been a fan favorite since his breakout season in 2010, which is beginning to look more like an anomalous season from a journeyman ballplayer. This trade would appear to relegate Torres to part-time status. The Giants didn't win the NL West last year because they were the most banged-up team in baseball. I think they used the DL close to 30 times, and it gutted their offense. This move will help the offense at least. But what the Giants really need is a solid shortstop.

Buster Posey going down in late May just killed their chances, and the D-Backs got hot. The Giants ended up 29th in runs scored and OBP. Even a pitching staff that was 2nd in the majors in ERA behind Philly can't make up for that.

Sometimes you have to give up what you got for what you ain't got.

TDog
11-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Buster Posey going down in late May just killed their chances, and the D-Backs got hot. The Giants ended up 29th in runs scored and OBP. Even a pitching staff that was 2nd in the majors in ERA behind Philly can't make up for that.

Sometimes you have to give up what you got for what you ain't got.

The only Giants game I went to last year was the one where Posey was injured. The mood afterward in the city was that the Giants were out of it. But still, in late July, long after Posey went down, it looked like the Giants had the inside track to win the division, especially with the acquisition of Beltran. But Beltran went down a short time later along with Wilson. The problem wasn't necessarily that the Giants didn't score enough runs. A big problem was that they couldn't hold close late leads and couldn't win low-scoring games.

Their pitching could have made up for being near the bottom in runs scored, and their pitching would have shut down Texas once again, if they had gotten past the Phillies and the NL Central teams.

palehozenychicty
11-07-2011, 06:18 PM
The only Giants game I went to last year was the one where Posey was injured. The mood afterward in the city was that the Giants were out of it. But still, in late July, long after Posey went down, it looked like the Giants had the inside track to win the division, especially with the acquisition of Beltran. But Beltran went down a short time later along with Wilson. The problem wasn't necessarily that the Giants didn't score enough runs. A big problem was that they couldn't hold close late leads and couldn't win low-scoring games.

Their pitching could have made up for being near the bottom in runs scored, and their pitching would have shut down Texas once again, if they had gotten past the Phillies and the NL Central teams.

C'mon now. The Giants have a great starting staff, but their offense is pathetic. Their defense is not airtight either, and with injuries all on the diamond, it's not surprising the pen and team ran out of gas.

They will be in the mix again, but they have to upgrade that offense. Prince is actually what they need rather than Beltran. We'll see what happens.

TDog
11-08-2011, 02:23 AM
C'mon now. The Giants have a great starting staff, but their offense is pathetic. Their defense is not airtight either, and with injuries all on the diamond, it's not surprising the pen and team ran out of gas.

They will be in the mix again, but they have to upgrade that offense. Prince is actually what they need rather than Beltran. We'll see what happens.

The injuries were the reason the offense was so pathetic. Sandoval had a nice comeback season, but he spent time on the disabled list. Freddy Sanchez was having a very good season before it ended with a dislocated shoulder. Buster Posey's injury made former White Sox farmhand Chris Stewart a major league catcher. Even Beltran was injured for most of his time with the Giants.

If your pitching is good enough, you don't need much offense. I'm not sure that trading Jonathan Sanchez is going to leave the Giants with enough pitching even if they get more offensive production from their centerfielder. I'm not sure Vogelsong will have another great season. No one expects anything from Zito.

I expect the Giants to do more to upgrade their offense. But I'm not sure this trade improves the team even it should improve the offense.

pythons007
11-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Melky Cabrera career #s in 49 games vs. the Sox:

.335 avg
9HR
32RBI
64 hits
12 doubles
.560 SLG
.920 OPS :o:

I'll take my chances against Sanchez. Melky Cabrera absolutely destroys us and I'm glad he is gone.

Meh, that's a small sample size against one team, to justify that you'd rather face Sanchez then Cabrera. There were a lot of Sox killers that sucked against most other teams, a billion come from the Twins organization.

doublem23
11-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Melky has been nothing more than a journeyman outfielder. He put up a career year this year, and the Royals cashed in on his preformance. I'm sure the Royals will try and sign Sanchez to a multi year deal soon. Sanchez, minus last year is a high strikeout lefty pitcher.

Sanchez is actually quite terrible save for 1 decent season in 2010. And this is a guy who has spend his entire career calling that enornous cavern of a ballpark they have in San Francisco home.

I would love it if the Royals signed him to a nice, fat extension.

palehozenychicty
11-08-2011, 03:05 PM
The injuries were the reason the offense was so pathetic. Sandoval had a nice comeback season, but he spent time on the disabled list. Freddy Sanchez was having a very good season before it ended with a dislocated shoulder. Buster Posey's injury made former White Sox farmhand Chris Stewart a major league catcher. Even Beltran was injured for most of his time with the Giants.

If your pitching is good enough, you don't need much offense. I'm not sure that trading Jonathan Sanchez is going to leave the Giants with enough pitching even if they get more offensive production from their centerfielder. I'm not sure Vogelsong will have another great season. No one expects anything from Zito.

I expect the Giants to do more to upgrade their offense. But I'm not sure this trade improves the team even it should improve the offense.

That is why they play the games. You never know what's going to happen. The team got hurt, but their offense has little margin for error when healthy. They have to execute perfectly to win, and that drains a team.

As people have mentioned, Sanchez has been a player with flashes, but has put only together one season. Due to basic economics, you have to take your chances with Vogelsong.

Foulke You
11-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Meh, that's a small sample size against one team, to justify that you'd rather face Sanchez then Cabrera. There were a lot of Sox killers that sucked against most other teams, a billion come from the Twins organization.
Let's assume for a minute that Sanchez is a pitcher the Sox won't hit...we may face Sanchez once in a series against KC or we may miss his spot in the rotation entirely. Melky Cabrera kills every Sox pitcher he faces and we play KC 16-18 times per year where he will be in the lineup. It's an easy choice for me which is a better situation for the Sox.

TDog
11-08-2011, 04:06 PM
That is why they play the games. You never know what's going to happen. The team got hurt, but their offense has little margin for error when healthy. They have to execute perfectly to win, and that drains a team.

As people have mentioned, Sanchez has been a player with flashes, but has put only together one season. Due to basic economics, you have to take your chances with Vogelsong.

Vogelsong only made it back to the majors because Zito went on the DL, which proved a blessing for the Giants because Vogelsong gave the team more than they had any reason to expect from Zito. Vogelsong is not unlike Humber, a pitcher who has been around, ends up with team that has an injury in the starting rotation that gives him the opportunity to perform beyond anyone's expectations. Such pitchers are more likely to less consistent a season later. They have a little more wear. Teams have better scouting reports. Whether Vogelsong, or Humber for that matter, are pitchers who have suddenly found it will have a lot to do with how successful their teams will be in 2012.

Sanchez, on the other hand, impresses people with his potential, although he is just a few weeks younger than Humber. He has great stuff but can lack control. His stuff is good enough that I am guessing he gets a big free agent contract next offseason, whether he wins a lot of games or not.

If you don't have great pitching, or at least superior pitching relative to your competition, you have a small margin of error. Teams with superior pitching can shut your offense down. Teams with inferior offenses can score runs against inferior pitchers.

The Giants didn't just have a couple of injuries last year. The team was devastated by injuries to their best offensive players. If it were just a matter of Eli Whiteside and Chris Stewart replacing Buster Posey, there was margin for error enough to give up that much offense and win the division. If they had lost Lincecum or Cain in addition to Zito, they would have had trouble winning the division even without the injuries that decimated the offense.