PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Manto doesn't like walks.

soxnut1018
11-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Uh oh. :o::(:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/11/04/manto-dunns-struggles-in-the-past/

Daver
11-04-2011, 03:38 PM
This thread title is confusing, or is it just me?

soxnut1018
11-04-2011, 03:42 PM
This thread title is confusing, or is it just me?

Oops. Meant to type Jeff Manto doesn't like walks.

soltrain21
11-04-2011, 03:44 PM

Yeah, I heard that interview. I was...not excited about his thought process.

jdm2662
11-04-2011, 03:44 PM
What I got out of the article is that the new hitting coach would prefer our so called slugger actually focus on driving in runs instead of trying to walk. If you want an example, take Konerko's approach when there are runners in scoring position. He tries what he can to get the run in. A lot of times, he has swung at pitches out of the zone to get the run in. Of course, if you don't get a hittable pitch, you don't swing.

SI1020
11-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Oh boy here we go. I discovered this controversy somewhere else and it is my opinion that people are seriously twisting his words to give it an unforgivable anti Sabermetrics slant. Anyone who wants to have a nervous breakdown or fire the guy before he even starts is welcome to self flagellate. I'm not willing to pitch him overboard just yet.

Daver
11-04-2011, 04:01 PM

I fixed it, now instead of confusing it is misleading.

Tragg
11-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Uh oh. :o::(:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/11/04/manto-dunns-struggles-in-the-past/

When you take a walk, you DON'T hit into a double play. Adam Dunn darn sure better take his walk rather than swing at a pitch outside that would be hit into a DP.
Konerko does it because he can and is willing to go the other way. Pure pull hitters need to take their walks.

DonnieDarko
11-04-2011, 04:05 PM
When you take a walk, you DON'T hit into a double play. Adam Dunn darn sure better take his walk rather than swing at a pitch outside that would be hit into a DP.
Konerko does it because he can and is willing to go the other way. Pure pull hitters need to take their walks.

Ding! I think I remember ONE time that Dunn hit to the left side last year. One.

And he still got out. Albeit, barely.

Konerko05
11-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Nowhere in that article does Manto say, "I don't like walks."

He gave one very specific example of an instance where he'd rather have one specific hitter try to drive in a run rather than take a walk.

Although, the introduction contrasting his viewpoint of one situation with the Cubs' new GM's general "World Series" viewpoint is rather humorous.

MisterB
11-04-2011, 04:11 PM
I have no problem with Dunn's walks.

I do have a problem with his utter inability to make contact, which is why he consistently has high strikeout totals and a low batting average.

Just put the ****ing ball into play...

DonnieDarko
11-04-2011, 04:20 PM

I do have a problem with his utter inability to make contact, which is why he consistently has high strikeout totals and a low batting average.

I'd agree with you...

...as long as there wasn't a man on 1st.

A. Cavatica
11-04-2011, 06:17 PM

Then don't think of it as failing to make contact.

Think of it as almost walking.

Vernam
11-04-2011, 06:23 PM
This is both the funniest and saddest thing I've read in quite a while: Dunn is "arguably the most prolific left-handed hitter in the game"? Wow, I'm sure glad he put the "arguably" in there, or he might have been out on just a bit of a limb. Arguably.

Vernam

SI1020
11-04-2011, 07:07 PM
This is both the funniest and saddest thing I've read in quite a while: Dunn is "arguably the most prolific left-handed hitter in the game"? Wow, I'm sure glad he put the "arguably" in there, or he might have been out on just a bit of a limb. Arguably.

Vernam He's new on the job and the Sox apparently are stuck with Dunn. So what is he going to do but make the usual politically safe comment about someone he is expected to turn around? I do agree with you that Manto stretched the normal limits of credulity. I also think your post is both funny and clever and that's not even arguable.

DumpJerry
11-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Ding! I think I remember ONE time that Dunn hit to the left side last year. One.

You need to watch more Sox games. He beat the shift against the Cleveland for hits.

Vernam
11-05-2011, 07:30 AM
He's new on the job and the Sox apparently are stuck with Dunn. So what is he going to do but make the usual politically safe comment about someone he is expected to turn around? I do agree with you that Manto stretched the normal limits of credulity. I also think your post is both funny and clever and that's not even arguable.

Having established that we both agree about my wit (at least in this one instance), let me just say I have a completely open mind about this Manto guy and feel very slightly guilty that my first (and probably penultimate) post about him implied I think he's dumb. He's the Sox hitting coach, how could he be dumb?! :wink:

Vernam

Zisk77
11-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Much to do about nothing. I heard him interviewed on the score and they to took what he said out of context. He gave a prime example. He said he wouldn't want Jason Bay (pirates version) tahing a pitch an inch of the plate for a walk with a guy on 3b and less than 2 outs. He wants the slugger driving him in. Walking just brings the spectre of an inning ending double play with an inferior hitter (to Bay) up next.

TheVulture
11-05-2011, 05:21 PM

Yeah, but a hitter as a bad as Dunn shouldn't have been at the plate at all.

Jerko
11-07-2011, 09:05 AM
What I got out of the article is that the new hitting coach would prefer our so called slugger actually focus on driving in runs instead of trying to walk. If you want an example, take Konerko's approach when there are runners in scoring position. He tries what he can to get the run in. A lot of times, he has swung at pitches out of the zone to get the run in. Of course, if you don't get a hittable pitch, you don't swing.

That's how I took it too.

DonnieDarko
11-07-2011, 09:11 AM
You need to watch more Sox games. He beat the shift against the Cleveland for hits.

Maybe I was just so disgusted by Dunn's at-bats last year that I instinctively turned away whenever he was at the plate. Can you really blame me? :redface:

I do remember being in person for that one three-run bomb he hit into the right field seats in that one game against the A's, and thinking that that would be that catalyst for him turning his season around. I think that was either June or July 12th? Pretty sure it was June 12th.

jdm2662
11-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Maybe I was just so disgusted by Dunn's at-bats last year that I instinctively turned away whenever he was at the plate. Can you really blame me? :redface:

I do remember being in person for that one three-run bomb he hit into the right field seats in that one game against the A's, and thinking that that would be that catalyst for him turning his season around. I think that was either June or July 12th? Pretty sure it was June 12th.

It was June 12. I was in rf a few rows over from the blast. The Soc did get lucky that game. CoCo was safe at first, but was called out to end the same. Santos was rather shaky.