PDA

View Full Version : kudos for shoeless joe jackson.....

hsc1
07-16-2002, 03:31 PM
thought this was of interest and wanted to share......now that ted is gone i do hope someone else picks up the cause to have joe reinstated.......

Shoeless Joe Gets Statue in S.C.
By The Associated Press

July 16, 2002, 6:43 AM EDT

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Fourteen-year-old Joe Wade Anders wore his baseball uniform -- minus shoes -- to unveil a life-size statue of Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Anders was selected because his grandfather, Joe Anders, was one of Shoeless Joe's closest friends. The elder Anders, now 81, met Shoeless Joe when he was 15. Jackson liked the shy teen and helped him improve his game.

"We played on the same field, lived on the same street, worked in the same plant, were members of the same church and both married Kates," Anders said. "Isn't that ironic?"

The bronze statue depicts Jackson in his prime, watching the flight of the baseball after hitting it with Black Betsy -- his famous bat. The 450-pound statue by sculptor Doug Young contains bricks from the old Comisky Field surrounding its base.

Former Los Angeles Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda was among the speakers at Saturday's dedication ceremony, which was attended by some 500 people.

Rep. Jim DeMint, also in attendance, said he received a telephone call Friday evening from Bud Selig. The MLB commissioner told DeMint to tell the crowd that he was still reviewing Jackson's case for reinstatement, a process that began about three years ago.

Jackson, a lifetime .356 hitter, was banned from baseball after he and seven other Chicago White Sox players were accused of throwing the 1919 World Series.

idseer
07-16-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by hsc1
thought this was of interest and wanted to share......now that ted is gone i do hope someone else picks up the cause to have joe reinstated.......

Shoeless Joe Gets Statue in S.C.
By The Associated Press

July 16, 2002, 6:43 AM EDT

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Fourteen-year-old Joe Wade Anders wore his baseball uniform -- minus shoes -- to unveil a life-size statue of Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Anders was selected because his grandfather, Joe Anders, was one of Shoeless Joe's closest friends. The elder Anders, now 81, met Shoeless Joe when he was 15. Jackson liked the shy teen and helped him improve his game.

"We played on the same field, lived on the same street, worked in the same plant, were members of the same church and both married Kates," Anders said. "Isn't that ironic?"

The bronze statue depicts Jackson in his prime, watching the flight of the baseball after hitting it with Black Betsy -- his famous bat. The 450-pound statue by sculptor Doug Young contains bricks from the old Comisky Field surrounding its base.

Former Los Angeles Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda was among the speakers at Saturday's dedication ceremony, which was attended by some 500 people.

Rep. Jim DeMint, also in attendance, said he received a telephone call Friday evening from Bud Selig. The MLB commissioner told DeMint to tell the crowd that he was still reviewing Jackson's case for reinstatement, a process that began about three years ago.

Jackson, a lifetime .356 hitter, was banned from baseball after he and seven other Chicago White Sox players were accused of throwing the 1919 World Series.

would you have a link to a pic?

Cheryl
07-16-2002, 04:13 PM
I looked for a pic but there don't seem to be any.

hsc1
07-16-2002, 04:31 PM
there wasnt a pic with the article ...im sure that at www.blackbetsy.com which is the shoeless joe jackson web site they will have one up soon....they usually keep up on this stuff....

Conehead
07-17-2002, 02:09 PM

Check this out:

http://www.herald-sun.com/sports/18-247838.html

duke of dorwood
07-17-2002, 02:16 PM
His case is being reviewed by a car salesman-geez.

:tool

"We'll reinstate with cash back or 0% finanancing"

kermittheefrog
07-17-2002, 02:18 PM

Great player. Bet on baseball, doesn't deserve to be reinstated.

Cheryl
07-17-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Great player. Bet on baseball, doesn't deserve to be reinstated.

You're confusing him with Pete Rose. Jackson was paid to help throw a World Series. Not exactly the same thing. People have argued since '19 whether or not Jackson actually helped throw the WS, though he was one of the few to actually get paid to do so.

I can see both sides of the argument. I'm of the opinion that was a long time ago and he should be re-instated, then the Vet Committee can decide if he deserved the hall. I promise to feel the same way about Rose after he's been dead about 50 years.

kermittheefrog
07-17-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

You're confusing him with Pete Rose. Jackson was paid to help throw a World Series. Not exactly the same thing. People have argued since '19 whether or not Jackson actually helped throw the WS, though he was one of the few to actually get paid to do so.

I can see both sides of the argument. I'm of the opinion that was a long time ago and he should be re-instated, then the Vet Committee can decide if he deserved the hall. I promise to feel the same way about Rose after he's been dead about 50 years.

Thanks for the correction, I know what Jackson did I just was thinking the offenses are pretty close to eachother. Both call into question the integrity of the game.

Daver
07-17-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

His ban was a lifetime ban,last time I checked Shoeless Joe was still dead,so isn't his lifetime ban over?

FanOf14
07-17-2002, 07:08 PM
He may have taken money, and from what I have heard about Chuck Comiskey he may have had reason, the big problem is that no one can prove he did anything to actually throw it. If I remember correctly, it's been awhile since I have read the stats and facts so I might be wrong here, but he was one of the best in that series. Between that and as daver said the lifetime ban is over since the man has been dead over 50 years, there is no need to keep him out.

kermittheefrog
07-17-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
He may have taken money, and from what I have heard about Chuck Comiskey he may have had reason, the big problem is that no one can prove he did anything to actually throw it. If I remember correctly, it's been awhile since I have read the stats and facts so I might be wrong here, but he was one of the best in that series. Between that and as daver said the lifetime ban is over since the man has been dead over 50 years, there is no need to keep him out.

Laying down the facts:

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/2001/0730/1232950.html

Daver
07-17-2002, 08:29 PM

Laying down the facts:

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/2001/0730/1232950.html

Two points,Rob Neyer is,and has always been a pompous,self important ass.

And I still think a lifetime ban should not exceed the players lifetime,I just checked again and Joe is indeed still dead as an armidillo hit by an eighteen wheeler.

kermittheefrog
07-17-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by daver

Two points,Rob Neyer is,and has always been a pompous,self important ass.

And I still think a lifetime ban should not exceed the players lifetime,I just checked again and Joe is indeed still dead as an armidillo hit by an eighteen wheeler.

Even if he were an undead zombie I don't see how that would effect his Hall of Fame canidacy.

Jerry_Manuel
07-17-2002, 08:45 PM
Even if he were an undead zombie I don't see how that would effect his Hall of Fame canidacy.

Of course you understand what Daver is saying. They shouldn't use the word "lifetime" then.

Main Entry: 1life·time
Pronunciation: 'lIf-"tIm
Function: noun
Date: 13th century
1 a : the duration of the existence of a living being or a thing (as a star or a subatomic particle) b : LIFE 12
2 : an amount accumulated or experienced in a lifetime <a lifetime of regrets>

Kilroy
07-18-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by daver

His ban was a lifetime ban,last time I checked Shoeless Joe was still dead,so isn't his lifetime ban over?

I'm on Shoeless Joe's side here, but I suspect that the use of the word lifetime doesn't refer to Joe, but to the Hall itself. As long as there is a Hall of Fame, Joe Jackson shall be banned from it.

Its stupid, really. The Black Sox scandal is one baseball's most famous incidents, and Jackson one of it's most famous protagonists. There's no point in denying that in the history of baseball, gambling was involved. And back then it was a lot more rampant than just the 1919 Sox.

kermittheefrog
07-18-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

I'm on Shoeless Joe's side here, but I suspect that the use of the word lifetime doesn't refer to Joe, but to the Hall itself. As long as there is a Hall of Fame, Joe Jackson shall be banned from it.

Its stupid, really. The Black Sox scandal is one baseball's most famous incidents, and Jackson one of it's most famous protagonists. There's no point in denying that in the history of baseball, gambling was involved. And back then it was a lot more rampant than just the 1919 Sox.

There isn't any sort of denying the incident happened, they just don't give the guys involved baseball's highest honor. I don't see anything wrong with that.