PDA

View Full Version : Why do some Sox fans hate Tony La Russa?

SoxThunder
11-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Since TLR was managing the Sox while I was still in diapers, I was wondering why some Sox fans hate him so much. Was it his managerial style, his personality or both? Also, what was the conflict with Hawk/Schueler that caused him to get fired? And lastly, do you think it's kinda weird that the Cell has concession stands (La Russa's Pizza) named in his honor?

I look forward to you thoughts...thanks.

captain54
11-03-2011, 02:15 PM
26 - 38 to start 86'
not repeating in 84'
mediocre in 85'

all had a lot to do with the fans not being happy with LaRussa

http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118718

LITTLE NELL
11-03-2011, 02:25 PM
I don't remember much hate when he was with the Sox except for my old buddy Jimmy Piersall not caring for him too much.
I know I didn't hate him when he was with us.

Noneck
11-03-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't remember much hate when he was with the Sox except for my old buddy Jimmy Piersall not caring for him too much.

Him and his young tough guy coach (Leyland) going to the sportsvision studio to intimidate an older guy coming off heart surgery because of a silly comment he made, turned my stomach for both him and leyland forever.

gaelhound
11-03-2011, 02:54 PM
1983. Leaving a hobbled Britt Burns in long enough to give up a homer to Tito Landrum. Denny Lamp and Dick Tidrow watching from the bullpen. You never know what would have happened but i would have bet on Lamarr Hoyt winning a game five, and as the O's made it look easy, I think we would have beat the Phillies. Cost us a championship IMHO.

amsteel
11-03-2011, 02:54 PM
He's a humorless ******* who drives drunk.

Chez
11-03-2011, 03:16 PM
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but here's what I honestly believe -- and I lived through it. When La Russa was managing the Sox, he was a young, good-looking guy with a law degree. He didn't fit the mold of what a lot of Sox fans back then thought a manager on the South Side should look like or sound like. Many fans percieved him to be an arrogant, pretty-boy. This, more than his actual managerial abilities, rubbed many the wrong way.

sox1970
11-03-2011, 03:20 PM
My dislike of La Russa is mostly about being part of the steroid era, defending and hiring McGwire.

Lip Man 1
11-03-2011, 03:38 PM
From my interview with Jimmy on Tony:

ML: Sox ownership decided to go with the SportsVision experiment in 1982 and you were removed from the play by play booth while Harry left to go to the Cubs. You wound up doing the pre and post game shows. The Sox started out like gang-busters but by July were a .500 club, then one nightTony LaRussa apparently had it with some of your comments and drove down to the studios after a game and confronted you. I have never heard of such a thing happening before or since at least until the Steve Stone / Cubs controversy. What happened that night?

JP: “I had said during a show that whoever was coaching the outfielders wasn’t doing a very good job. They were out of position, they were throwing to the wrong base. It was a bad situation. So one night about 11 or 11:30 at night, LaRussa, Charlie Lau and Jimmy Leyland drive down to the studios. They told the guard they had an appointment to see me and he let them in. I’m in the studio and they march in. LaRussa’s yells, ‘are you trying to get Leyland fired?’ I didn’t know who was coaching the outfielders so I said ‘no, but whoever he is he’s doing a lousy job.’ They started to act tough when one of our producers walked in, he was a real big guy, about 6-4 and when they saw him they left. I tore Tony’s ass from then on. LaRussa acts real tough but he isn’t and Leyland is nothing but a little phony.”

“All I can say is that Tony’s real lucky he’s had great players in Oakland and in St. Louis because he is a terrible manager.”

ML: It almost seems like the Sox organization was split over Tony. Some thought he would turn out to be a great manager and some actually wanted to fire him around 1982 and 1983. Jerry Reinsdorf appeared to always be on his side. Why was that?

JP: “Reinsdorf fell in love with Tony. He was a lawyer, was real smart and Jerry liked that.”

Lip

ComiskeyBrewer
11-03-2011, 03:43 PM

Reason enough for me too.

LITTLE NELL
11-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Him and his young tough guy coach (Leyland) going to the sportsvision studio to intimidate an older guy coming off heart surgery because of a silly comment he made, turned my stomach for both him and leyland forever.

That was really bad on TLRs part. I would have had a lot more respect for TLR if he had gone to confront Jimmy on his own. Jimmy and I had many discussions on Tony as a manager, some late at night over the phone after the game and Jimmy's show. I still don't remember that much hate from the fans back in those days.

Bobby Thigpen
11-03-2011, 03:49 PM
My dislike of La Russa is mostly about being part of the steroid era, defending and hiring McGwire.
That and he generally acts like a dick every chance he gets.

Another forgotten gem was he and Dave Duncan's temper tantrums a few years ago about Dave's kid getting plunked.

robertks61
11-03-2011, 06:50 PM
When the Cards were in town and one of his pitchers (don't remember his name or all the details) hit 2 Sox batters in a row. The Sox retaliated (surprisingly) and hit Chris Duncan (Dave's kid). I remember Tony and Dave getting pissed off. We swept them and I believe the last game of the series we were 1 hit and we won 1-0. Sox swept the series and rolled them in 2 of the 3. That started my dislike.

TommyJohn
11-03-2011, 07:05 PM
When the Cards were in town and one of his pitchers (don't remember his name or all the details) hit 2 Sox batters in a row. The Sox retaliated (surprisingly) and hit Chris Duncan (Dave's kid). I remember Tony and Dave getting pissed off. We swept them and I believe the last game of the series we were 1 hit and we won 1-0. Sox swept the series and rolled them in 2 of the 3. That started my dislike.

And the Cards responded by accusing the White Sox of stealing signals.

WLL1855
11-03-2011, 08:27 PM
I don't really hate the guy but I get irritated at the "I'm smarter than everyone else" quirks he pulls like batting the pitcher in the eight hole.

Scratch that. When I'm at Busch supporting my Cards fan buddies on a sweltering hot August day game and Tony pulls his patented 'three calls to the bullpen' inning I hate his ass a ton. Thank god that era is over.

Daver
11-03-2011, 08:46 PM
And the Cards responded by accusing the White Sox of stealing signals.

They probably were.

Brian26
11-03-2011, 10:10 PM
1983. Leaving a hobbled Britt Burns in long enough to give up a homer to Tito Landrum. Denny Lamp and Dick Tidrow watching from the bullpen. You never know what would have happened but i would have bet on Lamarr Hoyt winning a game five, and as the O's made it look easy, I think we would have beat the Phillies. Cost us a championship IMHO.

I'd take Britt Burns on pitch #150 over Tidrow in any situation.

Vernam
11-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Didn't hate him when he was here. I blame the fans' attitude toward LaRussa on Caray and Piersall, who took the term "loose cannon" to a whole different level. LaRussa got booed the day the 1983 division flag got raised, and it was already clear that his days were numbered.

I didn't even hate him with Oakland or St. Louis, though there were times when I intensely disliked him. I'm not very familiar with his drinking and driving, but it is reprehensible, needless to say. His behavior as a leading steroids apologist is another thing he should answer for in the end.

But in the end, he's going to be in Cooperstown. Thank god we didn't have a Hall of Fame manager on our bench over the last 30 years. Really dodged a bullet there. Good deal having Leyland and Duncan practicing their trade elsewhere, too.

Vernam

Brian26
11-03-2011, 10:13 PM
That was really bad on TLRs part. I would have had a lot more respect for TLR if he had gone to confront Jimmy on his own. Jimmy and I had many discussions on Tony as a manager, some late at night over the phone after the game and Jimmy's show. I still don't remember that much hate from the fans back in those days.

I remember fans booing LaRussa relentlessly back then. Every time he went out to change pitchers, he was hammered, and it was the kind of ire that would make the Greg Walker hate seem silly.

Brian26
11-03-2011, 10:16 PM

That was in June '06. The 2nd game of the series was a blowout where the Sox scored 20 runs, the 3rd game was a Sox winner 1-0 when Anthony Reyes threw a one hitter, with the one hit being a Jim Thome homer.

That was around the time that Jay Payton said the Sox were undoubtedly the best team in baseball.

Brian26
11-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Jimmy and I had many discussions on Tony as a manager, some late at night over the phone after the game and Jimmy's show.

I used to love staying up late with my transistor radio to listen to Piersall's call-in show after night games on WMAQ. The best callers were the ones that would go after Jimmy, and he'd tell the producer, "Nancy, hit the button."

gosox41
11-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Since TLR was managing the Sox while I was still in diapers, I was wondering why some Sox fans hate him so much. Was it his managerial style, his personality or both? Also, what was the conflict with Hawk/Schueler that caused him to get fired? And lastly, do you think it's kinda weird that the Cell has concession stands (La Russa's Pizza) named in his honor?

I look forward to you thoughts...thanks.

He's a hypocrite and a liar. The "truth" depends on how important you are to him. Go read interviews about his opinions on Mark McGwire and steroids.

It just doesn't just start there. Everything from his pitcher's death to his drunk driving incident to the way if you hit one of his batters it was intentional but in no way would he ever hit another teams hitter on purpose.

He comes off as a whiny, crybaby.

And who feels the need to grab two of his buddies and go up to the booth and threaten with physical violence? Only a weak minded fool.

But he does know his baseball. Still I'm glad he's not the manager and face of the White Sox.

Bob

Brian26
11-03-2011, 10:57 PM
What's the Darryl Kile situation have to do with this?

Lamp81
11-03-2011, 10:59 PM
I remember fans booing LaRussa relentlessly back then. Every time he went out to change pitchers, he was hammered, and it was the kind of ire that would make the Greg Walker hate seem silly.

That's exactly how I remember it. I also remember the rumors that Billy Martin was going to be brought in as a replacement, and there may have been a Martin sighting at a Sox game.

gosox41
11-03-2011, 11:00 PM

Who said that?

Brian26
11-03-2011, 11:11 PM
He's a hypocrite and a liar. The "truth" depends on how important you are to him. Go read interviews about his opinions on Mark McGwire and steroids.

It just doesn't just start there. Everything from his pitcher's death to his drunk driving incident to the way if you hit one of his batters it was intentional but in no way would he ever hit another teams hitter on purpose.

Who said that?

What am I missing here? Did another pitcher die that I'm forgetting? That wasn't a reference to Darryl Kile?

PKalltheway
11-03-2011, 11:14 PM
I believe he is referring to the unfortunate death of Cardinals pitcher Josh Hancock in 2007, which was alcohol-related.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2853149

Not much longer after this occurred, La Russa threatened to "start swinging his fungo bat" at any reporter who dared to ask an insensitive question.

LongLiveFisk
11-03-2011, 11:47 PM
I liked him when he was the Sox manager, and was really bummed when he got fired ('86, I believe). Since then I have been pretty much indifferent.

TheVulture
11-04-2011, 12:55 AM
I don't like him because I consider him a villain in the whole steroid issue that came close to ruining MLB in my opinion.

SoxThunder
11-04-2011, 02:00 AM
I still don't understand why TLR has a concession stand named after him at the Cell (La Russa's Pizza). TLR had the majority of his baseball success while not with the White Sox and only won ONE division title.

Why don't we open up Jerry Manuel's Hot Dogs, Manny Ramirez's Cotton Candy and Ken Griffey Jr.'s Ice Cream?

gobears1987
11-04-2011, 06:39 AM
This is why I hate Tony LaRussa.

http://sportcohort.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/steroid-needle.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/132634/thumbs/s-JOSE-CANSECO-MARK-MCGWIRE-LYING-STEROIDS-large.jpg

He was the biggest enabler of steroids in baseball.

doublem23
11-04-2011, 07:39 AM
That and he generally acts like a dick every chance he gets.

Another forgotten gem was he and Dave Duncan's temper tantrums a few years ago about Dave's kid getting plunked.

Yeah, I was only 2 years old when TLR got the heave-ho on the South Side so I don't remember his tenure here at all; he's an outsider to me, but he comes off as pretty much a self-righteous prick.

And the steroids thing.

jdm2662
11-04-2011, 09:43 AM
I still don't understand why TLR has a concession stand named after him at the Cell (La Russa's Pizza). TLR had the majority of his baseball success while not with the White Sox and only won ONE division title.

Why don't we open up Jerry Manuel's Hot Dogs, Manny Ramirez's Cotton Candy and Ken Griffey Jr.'s Ice Cream?

When you are good friends with the chairman, you get things named after you. If I was close to the chairman, there would be a JDM hotdog stand. That be awesome, actualy.

I was nine when LaRussa got axed, and I had only been watching Sox baseball for a year. I can't say I'm an expert in his Sox tenure. I think he was a great manager and a fine baseball man. He was also a grade A assphat. But, most great coaches are assphats. They sometimes have to be to control large egos in the clubhouse.

Madvora
11-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Another agreement.

TomBradley72
11-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Who knows? He was a way better manager than his predecessors (Doby and Kessinger) and most of his successors (especially Fregosi, Lemont, Bevington and Manuel)- so over a 24 year span- he was the best manager the team had.

The fact that he had a 33 year uninterrupted run as a MLB manager with a ton of postseason appearances and 3 world series championships means alot more than what some Sox fans think or ****ing Jimmy Piersall.

TomBradley72
11-04-2011, 12:28 PM
This is why I hate Tony LaRussa.

http://sportcohort.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/steroid-needle.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/132634/thumbs/s-JOSE-CANSECO-MARK-MCGWIRE-LYING-STEROIDS-large.jpg

He was the biggest enabler of steroids in baseball.

So is Kenny Williams in the same boat since he signed Jose Canseco?

TomBradley72
11-04-2011, 12:34 PM

And yet we still worship "Da Coach" in Chicago despite multiple drunk driving incidents and the fact that he showed up on Johnny Morris' show more than once clearly under the influence.

TommyJohn
11-04-2011, 01:04 PM
And yet we still worship "Da Coach" in Chicago despite multiple drunk driving incidents and the fact that he showed up on Johnny Morris' show more than once clearly under the influence.
And yet we don't know if the LaRussa haters are Ditka worshippers, do we? Or do we?

kaufsox
11-04-2011, 05:57 PM
As far as a manager, I think, especially toward the end of his career, he over-managed, many times making the wrong move and costing his team a win. Also I find his derision of Moneyball a bit hypocritical because TLR was a bit of a pioneer in the use of data and statistics for preparing before a game.

w/r/t steroids, I don't give him a pass by any stretch, but we will never know the extent of use in baseball during the height of the era and I think a lot of managers and executives enabled/turned a blind eye/encouraged the use of steroids. I always think back to Ken Caminiti's quote that 80-90% of players were using and people just couldn't believe it. I don't know if it was ever that high, but it wasn't an isolated issue either.

Personally, TLR has always struck me as kind of a jerk and the drunk driving didn't help that opinion at all.

thechico
11-04-2011, 09:10 PM
OK. I've heard enough people rip on TL, it is time to tell the story I heard first hand.

Back in '83, TL lived in Westmont, and often got off I-88 (then IL-5) at the Highland Avenue exit and stopped at the convenience store near Ogden Avenue. From what I heard, he usually didn't say much.
After the Sox clinched in '83, the guy working at the register (the one who told me this story) saw TL once again in the store and and said "Hey, congrats coach."
TL said "Thanks", stopped for a second, and gave him THE SHIRT OFF HIS BACK. Yes, that's the jersey he wore when we clinched on '83 he was actually wearing. It wasn't asked for, he just did it.
So, rip on TL for whatever reason you want. To me, that story gives me respect for TL maybe others will never have.
Oh, and I last saw the guy he gave the shirt to in about 2000. He still wore the jersey on occasion. It was when I asked him about it in about '93 that he told me the story.

-Chico

Nellie_Fox
11-05-2011, 01:12 AM
OK. I've heard enough people rip on TL, it is time to tell the story I heard first hand.

Back in '83, TL lived in Westmont, and often got off I-88 (then IL-5) at the Highland Avenue exit and stopped at the convenience store near Ogden Avenue. From what I heard, he usually didn't say much.
After the Sox clinched in '83, the guy working at the register (the one who told me this story) saw TL once again in the store and and said "Hey, congrats coach."
TL said "Thanks", stopped for a second, and gave him THE SHIRT OFF HIS BACK. Yes, that's the jersey he wore when we clinched on '83 he was actually wearing. It wasn't asked for, he just did it.
So, rip on TL for whatever reason you want. To me, that story gives me respect for TL maybe others will never have.
Oh, and I last saw the guy he gave the shirt to in about 2000. He still wore the jersey on occasion. It was when I asked him about it in about '93 that he told me the story.

-ChicoI don't believe LaRussa was wearing his jersey home from the game. I don't believe the LaRussa jersey the clerk in the convenience store was wearing was LaRussa's jersey from the clinching game. I believe he TOLD you that, but that's the only part of the story I believe.

michned
11-05-2011, 06:14 PM
I don't believe LaRussa was wearing his jersey home from the game. I don't believe the LaRussa jersey the clerk in the convenience store was wearing was LaRussa's jersey from the clinching game. I believe he TOLD you that, but that's the only part of the story I believe.

I love the premise though, major leaguers wearing their uniforms home like Little Leaguers.

TheVulture
11-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I love the premise though, major leaguers wearing their uniforms home like Little Leaguers.

Brian Wilson wears his uniform to taco bell, so I believe it.

wassagstdu
11-05-2011, 11:08 PM
1. He let the Sox obsess about being thrown at by the Orioles in the '83 playoffs and that, more than leaving Burns in too long, cost them a championship.

2. In a game I saw at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, the Sox had a comfortable lead and LaRussa decided to run the bullpen, finally getting to the closer, who promptly got hit on the knee by a line drive. The only pitcher left had an ERA about 20 and proceeded to blow the lead and the game on a 309-foot walkoff by Fred Lynn. And he overmanaged that way until he retired.

3. He was a big time enabler of steroid use.

gosox41
11-05-2011, 11:52 PM
What am I missing here? Did another pitcher die that I'm forgetting? That wasn't a reference to Darryl Kile?

I think I may have my facts wrong. Didn't the Cards have a pitcher who drove drunk? I know he killed someone. Didn't he die too?

Bob

TommyJohn
11-06-2011, 12:10 AM
1. He let the Sox obsess about being thrown at by the Orioles in the '83 playoffs and that, more than leaving Burns in too long, cost them a championship.

2. In a game I saw at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, the Sox had a comfortable lead and LaRussa decided to run the bullpen, finally getting to the closer, who promptly got hit on the knee by a line drive. The only pitcher left had an ERA about 20 and proceeded to blow the lead and the game on a 309-foot walkoff by Fred Lynn. And he overmanaged that way until he retired.

3. He was a big time enabler of steroid use.

I know the game you're talking about-Bob James had two out in the 9th and was facing the last hitter when he delivered a pitch and his knee locked and didn't bend, bringing the full force of his weight down onto the knee. He had to leave the game. He was replaced by Mike Stanton, who didn't get a single batter out and wound up serving the home run to Lynn.

A far worse example happened that same year on August 2 against the Yankees. The Sox had a 5-3 lead in the bottom of the 10th. Lefty Gerry Don Gleaton retired the first two batters, then waled the next guy to bring up Dave Winfield. The Genius wanted a righthander in to face Winfield, so who did he bring in? You guessed it-Mike Stanton, who proceeded to give up a game-tying homer.

The Sox did score in the 11th and Juan Agosto got the final three outs. Stanton's performance was so ****ty that the official scorer invoked a seldom-used "brief and ineffective" rule and awarded the win to Agosto.

Lip Man 1
11-06-2011, 01:13 AM
July 11, 1985 - The Sox blow a game and lose to the Orioles in Baltimore 7-6. The loss would have long term consequences for the franchise because it eventually led to the firing of longtime G.M. Roland Hemond. With two outs and the Sox leading 6-3, Bob James, the team closer hurt his right knee. In came journeyman relief pitcher Mike Stanton who was picked up out of the minors a few weeks before. Stanton didn’t get a man out and gave up a three run, game winning home run to Fred Lynn.

Up in the broadcast booth, Sox announcers Don Drysdale and Ken “Hawk” Harrelson were openly questioning the organization if the ‘best’ they could do was Stanton. It planted the seed in the mind of ownership that a change was needed. That ‘change’ turned out to be Harrelson... named the new G.M. that off season. The rest as they say is history.

Lip

TomBradley72
11-06-2011, 11:21 AM
I know the game you're talking about-Bob James had two out in the 9th and was facing the last hitter when he delivered a pitch and his knee locked and didn't bend, bringing the full force of his weight down onto the knee. He had to leave the game. He was replaced by Mike Stanton, who didn't get a single batter out and wound up serving the home run to Lynn.

A far worse example happened that same year on August 2 against the Yankees. The Sox had a 5-3 lead in the bottom of the 10th. Lefty Gerry Don Gleaton retired the first two batters, then waled the next guy to bring up Dave Winfield. The Genius wanted a righthander in to face Winfield, so who did he bring in? You guessed it-Mike Stanton, who proceeded to give up a game-tying homer.

The Sox did score in the 11th and Juan Agosto got the final three outs. Stanton's performance was so ****ty that the official scorer invoked a seldom-used "brief and ineffective" rule and awarded the win to Agosto.

C'mon- Jerry Don Gleaton vs. Winfield? Most manager's would have made that move- in 1985, he had an ERA of 5.76- specifically right handed hitters hit .371 with a 1.009 OPS vs. Don Gleaton- it was an obvious move.

LaRussa did a good job with that '85 team- 85 wins put that White Sox team as the 5th best White Sox team between 1968-1989- and with a very flawed roster that included Cruz at 2nd, Hulett at 3rd, R. Law in LF and D. Boston in CF. After James went down (2.13 ERA- he was having a great year) they were so desperate they were eventually stuck with trying guys like Alifornia Jones in the closer role. If James stays healthy- the Orioles and Yankees game never happen- LaRussa didn't really have alternatives.

mahagga73
11-06-2011, 10:23 PM
I don't really hate the guy but I get irritated at the "I'm smarter than everyone else" quirks he pulls like batting the pitcher in the eight hole.

Scratch that. When I'm at Busch supporting my Cards fan buddies on a sweltering hot August day game and Tony pulls his patented 'three calls to the bullpen' inning I hate his ass a ton. Thank god that era is over.
His record suggests he is smarter than just about anyone else.

AZChiSoxFan
11-07-2011, 05:02 PM
His record suggests he is smarter than just about anyone else.

Some would point out that he was fortunate to have better talent than just about anyone else.

Seriously, the '88 A's had so much more talent than the Dodgers that year, it's not even funny. The lineup that the Dodgers ran out there in that series looked like it was right out of AAA.

TommyJohn
11-07-2011, 05:24 PM
C'mon- Jerry Don Gleaton vs. Winfield? Most manager's would have made that move- in 1985, he had an ERA of 5.76- specifically right handed hitters hit .371 with a 1.009 OPS vs. Don Gleaton- it was an obvious move.

LaRussa did a good job with that '85 team- 85 wins put that White Sox team as the 5th best White Sox team between 1968-1989- and with a very flawed roster that included Cruz at 2nd, Hulett at 3rd, R. Law in LF and D. Boston in CF. After James went down (2.13 ERA- he was having a great year) they were so desperate they were eventually stuck with trying guys like Alifornia Jones in the closer role. If James stays healthy- the Orioles and Yankees game never happen- LaRussa didn't really have alternatives.

No, he didn't. He was stuck with Stanton, who was horrid in the Baltimore game. So why go to him again? The move made no sense.

TomBradley72
11-07-2011, 07:33 PM
No, he didn't. He was stuck with Stanton, who was horrid in the Baltimore game. So why go to him again? The move made no sense.

That's the fun part of WSI- rehashing a move made 16 years ago- after Pagliarulo singled- I can see why he would want to get Don Gleaton out of there vs. a RH like Winfield.

They had played a doubleheader the day before vs. Boston- with James going 1.1 innings in Game 2, Gene Nelson started Game 1, so his choice was Don Gleaton vs. Stanton against Winfield- not a good option either way.

Stanton sucked but he was on 4 days rest and had pitched 2 decent appearances between the Baltimore "meltdown" and this game vs. the Yankees. He also pitched the next night and a few days later vs. Bos- allowing no runs over 3.1 innings.

The move didn't work out- but it's not like it was a "crazy" thought process.

gosox41
11-07-2011, 10:36 PM
That's the fun part of WSI- rehashing a move made 16 years ago- after Pagliarulo singled- I can see why he would want to get Don Gleaton out of there vs. a RH like Winfield.

They had played a doubleheader the day before vs. Boston- with James going 1.1 innings in Game 2, Gene Nelson started Game 1, so his choice was Don Gleaton vs. Stanton against Winfield- not a good option either way.

Stanton sucked but he was on 4 days rest and had pitched 2 decent appearances between the Baltimore "meltdown" and this game vs. the Yankees. He also pitched the next night and a few days later vs. Bos- allowing no runs over 3.1 innings.

The move didn't work out- but it's not like it was a "crazy" thought process.

26 years ago.