PDA

View Full Version : Does Kenny's Indian Love Equate to a Look-See at Grady?

SoxFanEarl
11-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Kenny hasn't shyed away from his Indian love....whaddaya think?

Does he start chuggin the Indian Kool Aid again? :gulp:

Chez
11-02-2011, 10:31 AM
This would be more like a Ron Schueler type pick-up (e.g. Ellis Burks, Darrin Jackson, Julio Franco) than a KW signing. Thankfully, I don't think the Sox can afford Sizemore -- someone will give him a decent deal. Though if the Sox are willing to spend close to $4mil on Frasor, who knows?! I'm against it.

soxinem1
11-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Honestly, if he checks out well, I'm not against it.

Besides, 80% of Grady is better than 100% of Rios.

doublem23
11-02-2011, 10:38 AM

Sizemore's last two seasons:

104 G, .220/.280/.379

Moses_Scurry
11-02-2011, 10:42 AM

The problem is that they won't be getting Grady unless they can get rid of Rios. So, they won't be getting Grady.

soxinem1
11-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Sizemore's last two seasons:

104 G, .220/.280/.379

Due to injuries.

Still, as bad as those numbers are, that's better than a healthy Rios since ASB 2010.

As I noted, if he checks out......

FielderJones
11-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Due to injuries.

So, Quentin is a china doll, Sizemore is ...

JB98
11-02-2011, 01:26 PM
If financial resources are as scarce as the Sox claim they are, you can't be wasting precious dollars on an injury-prone reclamation project like Sizemore. Have we learned nothing from the Peavy debacle?

I know Sizemore is a name that might excite some people, but the Sox should stay far, far away.

thomas35forever
11-02-2011, 01:26 PM
We have enough outfielders. Unless we can trade one of two of them, I think I'll pass.

TheOldRoman
11-02-2011, 01:30 PM
If financial resources are as scarce as the Sox claim they are, you can't be wasting precious dollars on an injury-prone reclamation project like Sizemore. Have we learned nothing from the Peavy debacle?Peavy was neither injury-prone nor a reclamation project when he was acquired.

Fenway
11-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Boston may look at Grady to replace JD Drew.

JB98
11-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Peavy was neither injury-prone nor a reclamation project when he was acquired.

He was injured at the time he was acquired. Once a guy starts getting hurt, he tends to keep getting hurt. Peavy hasn't made 30 starts since his Cy Young year in 2007. That was a long time ago now.

As someone else noted, Sizemore has only played in 104 games the last two years combined. The Sox are better off investing their apparently limited resources in someone who can reasonably be expected to stay on the field.

Madvora
11-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Who ever said KW loved the Indians?

TheVulture
11-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Peavy was neither injury-prone nor a reclamation project when he was acquired.

:scratch:

Did you mean to say Peavy was both injury-prone and a reclamation project?

doublem23
11-02-2011, 02:53 PM
:scratch:

Did you mean to say Peavy was both injury-prone and a reclamation project?

He wasn't and he wasn't

TheOldRoman
11-02-2011, 02:59 PM
He was injured at the time he was acquired. Once a guy starts getting hurt, he tends to keep getting hurt.Knee, eblow, shoulder? Yes. Ankle? Not so much. Him having a fluke ankle break while running the bases didn't mean he was destined to tear his lat off the bone.

SI1020
11-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Jake Peavy wasn't injury prone? A broken rib abbreviated his post season in 05. Of course the Cardinals helped matters by sweeping the Padres. In 08 he spent time on the DL with a sore elbow. In 09, the year he was traded to the Sox, he hurt his ankle on the basepaths and only made 3 starts in September for the team. He's pitched 200+ innings 3 times, twice barely and not since 07. Now he's coming off a very serious injury for which to the best of my knowledge there is no precedent in the history of MLB. I hope he makes it back, but I really don't expect all that much from him.

SoxFanEarl
11-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Who ever said KW loved the Indians?

How soon we forget the Alomars.....Vizquel.....Manny Albert Belle was the last one that Schueler signed after drinking the Indians Kool Aid

Madvora
11-02-2011, 04:25 PM
How soon we forget the Alomars.....Vizquel.....Manny Albert Belle was the last one that Schueler signed after drinking the Indians Kool Aid

Alomar, because they needed a catcher. Vizquel, because he's a good player. Ramierez because he was looking to save the team with a miracle. This has nothing to do with the Indians. The Twins are the only team that ever gets talked up.

Twin Killing
11-02-2011, 05:17 PM

Don't forget Thome!

DirtySox
11-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Jake Peavy wasn't injury prone? A broken rib abbreviated his post season in 05. Of course the Cardinals helped matters by sweeping the Padres. In 08 he spent time on the DL with a sore elbow. In 09, the year he was traded to the Sox, he hurt his ankle on the basepaths and only made 3 starts in September for the team. He's pitched 200+ innings 3 times, twice barely and not since 07. Now he's coming off a very serious injury for which to the best of my knowledge there is no precedent in the history of MLB. I hope he makes it back, but I really don't expect all that much from him.

Winner.

Irishsox1
11-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Kenny is only interested in members of the 1999 Indians. Last time I checked that left only Travis Fryman, Einar Diaz and David Justice who have not ended up on the Sox.

DickAllen72
11-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Don't forget Thome!
Or Lofton.

JB98
11-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Knee, eblow, shoulder? Yes. Ankle? Not so much. Him having a fluke ankle break while running the bases didn't mean he was destined to tear his lat off the bone.

I don't really want to revisit the Peavy trade here. I was in favor of the move at the time it was made.

But the fact of the matter is the trade hasn't worked out for the White Sox. With the benefit of hindsight, that move was a mistake. I think it's a mistake our front office can learn from by staying away from injury risks like Grady Sizemore.

I know the guy is a name player, but he hasn't been healthy or productive in a long time. Don't take the cheese.

Brian26
11-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Or Lofton.

Or Bartolo Colon.

DumpJerry
11-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Everyone is talking as if Kenny has been on the phone with Sizemore's agent.

Something tells me he has not called the guy and is not planning on calling him. He is more focused on Buehrle and trades.

A. Cavatica
11-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Absolutely, KW will be very interested. We need an outfielder and a top-of-the-order hitter. When healthy, Sizemore is a really good one. He's a recognizable name. Plus there's the apparent fetish for Indians, or at least AL Central vets.

Kenny isn't going to sign many free agents because he's got a budget problem, but if he can get Sizemore at a bargain price, that could be the exception.

Vernam
11-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Or Bartolo Colon.

Or Rocky Colavito.

In a parallel universe, there's a Sox GM who resists the urge to acquire has-beens long past their expiration date.

Vernam

Nelson Foxtrot
11-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Kenny is only interested in members of the 1999 Indians. Last time I checked that left only Travis Fryman, Einar Diaz and David Justice who have not ended up on the Sox.

KW has signed or traded for Thome, both Alomars, Manny, Vizquel, Lofton, Baines (re-signed him for 2001), Colon, Mike Jackson, and David Riske, along with making Jeff Manto hitting coach.

DumpJerry
11-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Absolutely, KW will be very interested. We need an outfielder and a top-of-the-order hitter. When healthy, Sizemore is a really good one. He's a recognizable name. Plus there's the apparent fetish for Indians, or at least AL Central vets.
I think the organization feels that De Aza is that person.

TheOldRoman
11-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Winner.
Hashtag used in lieu of adding anything to the conversation.

Peavy suffered a broken rib in 2005 by, you know, breaking his rib. That is something that heals fully and doesn't lead to other injuries. Same thing with the broken ankle in 2009. Having two freak bone breaks unrelated to pitching happen four years apart doesn't make one injury prone. The elbow soreness in 2008? That would have been a completely legitimate claim to him being a huge injury risk if it was an ongoing issue. However, he hadn't had elbow problems before and hasn't since. The Peavy deal hasn't worked out because he suffered a catastrophic shoulder injury in 2010, at a time he was pitching about as well as any other time in his career. It is enough to note that the deal hasn't worked out, we don't need to rewrite history to give Peavy Tommy John surgery and a peg-leg to show that the deal hasn't worked out.

Chez
11-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Or Bartolo Colon.

David Riske, Paul Assenmacher -- the list is seemingly endless.

doublem23
11-03-2011, 10:17 AM

I'm not sure how three isolated injuries over the course of 5 seasons turns a guy "injury-prone." In the two seasons prior to us aquiring him, he pitched a tick under 400 innings, started 61 games, had a WHIP around 1.113 and an ERA under 3. And we got to acquire him for absolutely nothing!

russ99
11-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Hopefully after the last few years, Kenny can resist his impulses to take risks on big names with question marks, like Sizemore.

If the Sox are looking to acquire an OF, I'd rather see them focus on younger higher-ceiling players like Brett Gardner.

Lip Man 1
11-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Chez:

Paul Assenmacher was a Ron Schueler signing and he pitched very well for the Sox in his time with the club.

Lip

DirtySox
11-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Hopefully after the last few years, Kenny can resist his impulses to take risks on big names with question marks, like Sizemore.

If the Sox are looking to acquire an OF, I'd rather see them focus on younger higher-ceiling players like Brett Gardner.

Kenny will have plenty of competition if he wants Sizemore. Many GMs will be drooling over the possibility that he can stay healthy and return to a semblance of his former self. I don't see him ending up here.

DirtySox
11-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
Sources: #Indians in serious discussions with Sizemore on one-year deal. One source says, "70-30." Another says, "very likely." #mlb
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Lamp81
11-19-2011, 12:12 AM
KW has signed or traded for Thome, both Alomars, Manny, Vizquel, Lofton, Baines (re-signed him for 2001), Colon, Mike Jackson, and David Riske, along with making Jeff Manto hitting coach.

And KW just named former Indian manager, coach, and player Joel Skinner to be our AAA manager, in Charlotte.

Of course Skinner also is part of the JR/KW wing of former Sox players returning to the organization as part of the organizational coaching staff like: Ozzie, Baines, Raines, Ventura, Cora, Schueler, Kusnyer, Walker, Dotson, Thigpen, Hickey, Salas, etc...

EMachine10
11-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Sizemore signed with Cleveland.