PDA

View Full Version : Frasor's Option Picked Up

DirtySox
10-31-2011, 02:02 PM
ESPNChiSox Doug Padilla
White Sox pick up option on Jason Frasor.
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

MDGonzales Mark Gonzales
Sox picked up $3.75 million option on reliever Jason Frasor.
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

soxinem1
10-31-2011, 02:09 PM
Curious decision. IF we hoped to contend next year, sure, but guys in his role will be swarming the waiver wire/ $1 million signings in a few months.

The Immigrant
10-31-2011, 02:09 PM
That was unexpected.

DirtySox
10-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Curious decision. IF we hoped to contend next year, sure, but guys in his role will be swarming the waiver wire/ $1 million signings in a few months.

Agreed. Especially if money is tight and the Sox aren't able to resign MB.

tstrike2000
10-31-2011, 02:31 PM
A little surprising.

DonnieDarko
10-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Maybe they just thought that he got tired down the stetch or something and are hoping that he'll do better next year?

KMcMahon817
10-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Interesting move, no doubt. But, I am not disappointed. Frasor struggled a bit for the SOX, but he is still a solid late inning reliever.

Santos (CL)
Thornton (SU/CL)
Crain (SU)
Frasor (SU/MR)
Reed (MR)
Ohman (LH MR)
Stewart/Axelrod (Long relief)

Is a pretty solid bullpen. I guess I wouldn't be that shocked to see the SOX try to move Frasor in trade this winter.

hi im skot
10-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Interesting move, no doubt. But, I am not disappointed. Frasor struggled a bit for the SOX, but he is still a solid late inning reliever.

Santos (CL)
Thornton (SU/CL)
Crain (SU)
Frasor (SU/MR)
Reed (MR)
Ohman (LH MR)
Stewart/Axelrod (Long relief)

Is a pretty solid bullpen. I guess I wouldn't be that shocked to see the SOX try to move Frasor in trade this winter.

I'd feel much better without Ohman on that list.

KMcMahon817
10-31-2011, 02:41 PM

Meh. He was serviceable in 2010. Minus his first month, he was actually pretty good.

DirtySox
10-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Meh. He was serviceable in 2010. Minus his first month, he was actually pretty good.

He will also be needed when Thornton is traded.

LoveYourSuit
10-31-2011, 02:42 PM

Perhaps with a manager who uses Ohman the right way, as a Loogy, he might not be that big of an issue.

There was way too many head scratching Ohman appearances last year. Too many.

Foulke You
10-31-2011, 02:43 PM
If we are indeed losing Buehrle to free agency, we will need the extra bullpen depth.

Foulke You
10-31-2011, 02:46 PM
Perhaps with a manager who uses Ohman the right way, as a Loogy, he might not be that big of an issue.

Agreed. Ohman faced waaaay too many right handed batters last year. He should be a loogy only. After the injury to Tony Pena, Ozzie plopped Ohman into the long relief role in addition to situational use.

soxinem1
10-31-2011, 03:15 PM
Maybe we are 'All In' again!! :smile:

If we are indeed losing Buehrle to free agency, we will need the extra bullpen depth.

That may well be true, but again, guys who can do Frasor's job (whatever it was) will be all over the place in the next 60 days. We would be able to get three comparable pitchers for what he will cost.

doublem23
10-31-2011, 03:19 PM

Gospel.

LHB vs. Ohman in 2011 - .234/.299.354
RHB vs. Ohman in 2011 - .277.345/.475

Despite that, Will faced lefties 118 times last year and righties 114.

KMcMahon817
10-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Gospel.

Oh, Ozzie. How you will not be missed.

DirtySox
10-31-2011, 03:22 PM

Ugh. Bad memories.

Crestani
10-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Ugh. Bad memories.

The entire season was one big bad memory..!!

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Interesting move. I honestly thought he was good as gone.

Lip Man 1
10-31-2011, 04:31 PM
Didn't expect this. Just have a feeling this is tied into some other things that may be developing (i.e. Thornton traded and or Buehrle leaving).

Lip

TheOldRoman
10-31-2011, 04:32 PM
Gospel.

I became disenfranchised and watched less and less games in the second half of the season, but I seem to remember Ozzie throwing him out there a lot in blowout games to pitch and inning or two. I think he was used pretty well until the end of July.

Chez
10-31-2011, 04:34 PM
I thought Frasor was pretty bad after he joined the Sox. Gave up a lot of homers.

Foulke You
10-31-2011, 06:58 PM
That may well be true, but again, guys who can do Frasor's job (whatever it was) will be all over the place in the next 60 days. We would be able to get three comparable pitchers for what he will cost.
Eh, I'm not so sure. Frasor is pretty solid. Not flashy, but solid. The market for free agent setup men has risen considerably in the last couple years. Guys like Jesse Crain, Joaquin Benoit, and others have gotten long term deals at high dollar amounts on the open market. Now, I'm not saying Frasor is at their skill level but I'm not so sure how many veteran relievers of his quality will be available for only $1 million.

soxfanreggie
10-31-2011, 07:52 PM

You're right, and perhaps we are spending money like we know he's already gone.

Frater Perdurabo
10-31-2011, 10:05 PM
You're right, and perhaps we are spending money like we know he's already gone.

Or perhaps none of us know what the real budget is. I still think JR intervenes to retain Buehrle, if necessary.

Tragg
11-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Or perhaps none of us know what the real budget is. I still think JR intervenes to retain Buehrle, if necessary.

Certainly hope so.
We really need to trade Danks. Without Danks and MB we'd have Floyd plus 4 #5 starters.

johnnyg83
11-01-2011, 01:43 AM

Holy ****. I never understood why he was facing more than two batters ever.

russ99
11-01-2011, 01:23 PM
He will also be needed when Thornton is traded.

My thinking exactly.

Thornton's contract extension ($5.5 per) was for a larger role than he has now, or has shown that he can handle. I'd expect him to be dealt in the offseason.

Frasor at $3.75 can likely do the same job.

Curious, I'd have thought if a reliever was signed for $4M over 2 years, I'd think he should be able to face more than one batter. BTW: Ohman faced 87 RHB and 99 LBH in 2010.

JB98
11-01-2011, 01:59 PM
If Thornton is traded and Sale is in the rotation, who can be counted upon for left-handed relief? I don't trust Ohman.

I don't understand why they picked up Frasor's option. You've got Santos and Crain under contract, and you've got a cheaper option in Addison Reed for right-handed relief.

With all the emphasis on pinching pennies, I didn't think they would go this route. Maybe they aren't "rebuilding" after all. Rebuilding teams typically do not pick up costly options on average middle relievers.

KMcMahon817
11-01-2011, 02:08 PM
If Thornton is traded and Sale is in the rotation, who can be counted upon for left-handed relief? I don't trust Ohman.

I don't understand why they picked up Frasor's option. You've got Santos and Crain under contract, and you've got a cheaper option in Addison Reed for right-handed relief.

With all the emphasis on pinching pennies, I didn't think they would go this route. Maybe they aren't "rebuilding" after all. Rebuilding teams typically do not pick up costly options on average middle relievers.

A few things:

-I agree that we cannot trust Ohman as the main LH reliever.

-Picking up Frasor's option was an interesting move, but just because they did doesn't mean A) he cannot be traded or B) Addison Reed cannot still be an integral part of the 2012 bullpen.

-Frasor is better than average. He was an average reliever for the SOX, but that was a tiny sliver of his career.

SoxSpeed22
11-01-2011, 02:09 PM
I get the feeling that Crain and Thornton are gone this offseason (or Crain goes at the trade deadline). Playoff teams will need guys like Crain and Thornton. I don't think Frasor will do much for the Sox going forward, but at least he's a healthy arm.

DirtySox
11-01-2011, 02:14 PM

While I don't necessarily think he's an optimal replacement, the organization is very high on Santiago in a lefty bullpen role. I fully expect Thornton to be on the block in the coming months.

Foulke You
11-01-2011, 02:34 PM
While I don't necessarily think he's an optimal replacement, the organization is very high on Santiago in a lefty bullpen role. I fully expect Thornton to be on the block in the coming months.
In the few outings I saw Santiago, he looked pretty solid. He threw strikes and pitched unafraid. However, it would be asking a lot to take over for Thornton and Sale considering his lack of experience.

I like Thornton but wouldn't be opposed to moving him this offseason while he still has value. Matt's velocity dropped by about 1-2 mph last season and he rarely flashed that 97 mph that made him a bullpen force for several years. Thornton needs that velocity as he has always bee more of a thrower than a pitcher. The secondary pitches of Thornton just aren't good enough. If the velocity declines further, he could become a very overpriced and average setup man.

JB98
11-01-2011, 08:51 PM
A few things:

-I agree that we cannot trust Ohman as the main LH reliever.

-Picking up Frasor's option was an interesting move, but just because they did doesn't mean A) he cannot be traded or B) Addison Reed cannot still be an integral part of the 2012 bullpen.

-Frasor is better than average. He was an average reliever for the SOX, but that was a tiny sliver of his career.

Frasor's career ERA is 3.74. To me, that is average. He was decidedly below average for the Sox this year.

Like a lot of middle relievers, he's up and down. Couple good years with an ERA below 3, couple bad years with an ERA well over 4.

He's probably the fifth-best reliever on the current roster. If I had to choose, I'd rather decline the option on Frasor and keep Thornton and/or Crain.

Brian26
11-01-2011, 09:34 PM
If Jason Frasor is worth $3.75 million a year, Buehrle's worth $15 million.

Very depressing.

thomas35forever
11-01-2011, 11:46 PM

Very depressing.
I was hoping we'd let Frasor walk to free up space to re-sign Mark. Wonder what this means for those prospects now.

Hitmen77
11-02-2011, 09:34 AM

Very depressing.

No kidding.

I'd like to see how the Sox justify picking up this option when we our offer to Buehrle comes up a couple of million short.

I know we really don't know what direction the Sox are taking this winter, but all signs point to slashing payroll. I'm really at a loss to figure out how this fits in with that overall plan. Is it that KW thinks that Frasor might be valuable as part of a possible trade he might work out this winter? :dunno:

doublem23
11-02-2011, 10:12 AM
He's probably the fifth-best reliever on the current roster. If I had to choose, I'd rather decline the option on Frasor and keep Thornton and/or Crain.

Yeah, Frasor is a nice back of the bullpen guy to have, but if the Sox are going to lean on him for heavy innings at the expense of more reliable guys like Thornton or Crain, then I will be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed.

I'm going to take the optimistic approach right now and hope that this signals the Sox aren't cutting salary as much as some worry.

TheVulture
11-02-2011, 02:42 PM

Very depressing.

Buehrle is worth 15 mil in today's market. A look at similar pitchers, they are making close to 15 or more.

KMcMahon817
11-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Frasor's career ERA is 3.74. To me, that is average. He was decidedly below average for the Sox this year.

Like a lot of middle relievers, he's up and down. Couple good years with an ERA below 3, couple bad years with an ERA well over 4.

Fair enough. Our definition of average is quite different.

Foulke You
11-03-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm going to take the optimistic approach right now and hope that this signals the Sox aren't cutting salary as much as some worry.
This very well might be the case. All of the talk of cutting payroll has been an expectation from Kenny Williams based on last year's performance and revenue. We have yet to hear from the Chairman himself. KW interviews from a few weeks ago stated that he has yet to receive a specific number for his 2012 payroll from Jerry and that is was expecting it to be significantly lower. Perhaps that number isn't as low as Kenny feared it would be.

Dibbs
11-03-2011, 02:03 PM

Very depressing.

Completely agree. I still don't understand this move. Maybe Kenny does need to go as well.

Tragg
11-03-2011, 11:22 PM
This seems a lot to pay for a mediocre middle reliever.