10-31-2011, 11:43 AM
DKnobler DKnobler
Derek Lowe traded to Indians
5 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
derek lowe was traded to the indians

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
assuming #braves get financial relief in derek lowe trade.
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Indians also picked up Carmona's option and declined Sizemore's.

DirtySox
10-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
Atlanta is absorbing all but $5 million of the money owed to Derek Lowe in this; second-line player return going from CLE to ATL.

CHISOXFAN13
10-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Great trade for the Braves. They are loaded with young starting pitching studs and get some salary relief.

TheOldRoman
10-31-2011, 12:27 PM
I wonder what teams are going to offer Sizemore. He hasn't been healthy since 2008 and his numbers have plummetted, but he still has loads of talent. I imagine he will get a major league contract somewhere. If he's available, I wouldn't mind the Sox picking him up for a mil or so.

As for Lowe, not a bad deal for Wahoo if they aren't giving up decent prospects. That signing was terrible for the Braves.

DirtySox
10-31-2011, 12:29 PM
I wonder what teams are going to offer Sizemore. He hasn't been healthy since 2008 and his numbers have plummetted, but he still has loads of talent. I imagine he will get a major league contract somewhere. If he's available, I wouldn't mind the Sox picking him up for a mil or so.

As for Lowe, not a bad deal for Wahoo if they aren't giving up decent prospects. That signing was terrible for the Braves.

Indians are attempting to resign Grady, just for less money and with incentives. Agreed on the Lowe pickup. He could provide some fine value for $5 million, if not it isn't a huge commitment. The prospect headed the other way to the Braves is of little quality. Seems the Indians top 4 will be Masterson, Ubaldo, Carmona, and Lowe. Not terrible, especially if Lowe is serviceable and Jimenez at least partially returns to form.

DKnobler DKnobler
Indians were looking for rotation depth. As one AL official said, "For $5 million, all you'd get is Brad Penny."
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

DirtySox
10-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Great trade for the Braves. They are loaded with young starting pitching studs and get some salary relief.

I wouldn't qualify paying a guy $10 million to not pitch for you as a great trade. Especially when the prospect return is menial.

DirtySox
10-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Interesting. 3 of the top 10 groundball pitchers in all MLB will be in the Indians rotation next season.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/seasontype/2/sort/groundToFlyRatio/type/expanded-2

KMcMahon817
10-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Indians are attempting to resign Grady, just for less money and with incentives. Agreed on the Lowe pickup. He could provide some fine value for $5 million, if not it isn't a huge commitment. The prospect headed the other way to the Braves is of little quality. Seems the Indians top 4 will be Masterson, Ubaldo, Carmona, and Lowe. Not terrible, especially if Lowe is serviceable and Jimenez at least partially returns to form.

Ubaldo, Masterson, Lowe and Carmona is a solid top 4. I like the move for the Indians...$5M and non-quality prospect isn't much for a solid mid-rotation starter.

As for Grady...he will definitely get a major league deal. If the SOX got him for a few million, I'd be giddy for weeks. It just won't happen.

doublem23
10-31-2011, 02:20 PM
As for Grady...he will definitely get a major league deal. If the SOX got him for a few million, I'd be giddy for weeks. It just won't happen.

Totally, if there's one thing this team really needs, it is more unproductive center fielders.

KMcMahon817
10-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Totally, if there's one thing this team really needs, it is more unproductive center fielders.

The SOX don't need him, but I would make room for him for a couple million. His quality baseball days are not behind him. But, again, it's not happening.

CHISOXFAN13
10-31-2011, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't qualify paying a guy $10 million to not pitch for you as a great trade. Especially when the prospect return is menial.

Addition by subtraction. Do the Braves choke if Lowe wasn't pitching meaningful games for them down the stretch? Check out his September. .

The Braves don't need prospects. They have plenty.

DirtySox
10-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Addition by subtraction. Do the Braves choke if Lowe wasn't pitching meaningful games for them down the stretch? Check out his September. .

The Braves don't need prospects. They have plenty.

Even if it is addition by subtraction, paying someone $10 million to go away isn't a "great" trade.

Lip Man 1
10-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Depends on if you can afford it or not. If you can, it's not a problem.

Lip

soxfanatlanta
11-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Even if it is addition by subtraction, paying someone $10 million to go away isn't a "great" trade.

Derek Lowe was completely useless for Atlanta down the stretch; he's 38 and washed up. Getting him off the roster at all was somewhat miraculous.

I almost feel sorry for the toons.

Almost.

doublem23
11-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Derek Lowe sucks, the fact that they got someone to pay $5 million for him is a good deal for them since I am sure they likely would have just ended up outright releasing him and eating his entire deal. Having a 39-year-old **** pitcher on your roster for $15 M next season paints you in a bad corner no matter what, just making him go away and only having to pay 67% of the cost isn't the worst move ever, especially since Atlanta has more than enough arms to cover for him.

soxinem1
11-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Derek Lowe sucks, the fact that they got someone to pay $5 million for him is a good deal for them since I am sure they likely would have just ended up outright releasing him and eating his entire deal. Having a 39-year-old **** pitcher on your roster for $15 M next season paints you in a bad corner no matter what, just making him go away and only having to pay 67% of the cost isn't the worst move ever, especially since Atlanta has more than enough arms to cover for him.

I agree, however I wouldn't write Lowe off just yet. He's been out of the league for seven years and if he is a 4-5 man, you could do a lot worse.

All CLE needs is 20-25 decent starts from him to start the season.

doublem23
11-02-2011, 11:17 PM
I agree, however I wouldn't write Lowe off just yet. He's been out of the league for seven years and if he is a 4-5 man, you could do a lot worse.

All CLE needs is 20-25 decent starts from him to start the season.

Perhaps, maybe a change of venue will be good for him. But ultimately, given his poor finish, the Braves' flameout, the amount left on his deal, and the Braves' pitching-loaded farm system, I can't see how Lowe would have returned for 2012 in Atlanta. So getting someone to pick up a third of his contract was probably their best option to make him go away.