PDA

View Full Version : Aramis Ramirez declines $16 mil option to become FA

soxfanreggie
10-31-2011, 05:47 AM
As reported by ESPN, Aramis Ramirez will turn down his $16 mil option for next year to become a FA. This must mean he feels he can get a nice multi-year deal that pays him near $16 mil per year or that he doesn't want to waist a season on the rebuilding Cubs.

For a guy who had a productive 2011 after a big production dip in 2010, I could see him getting some decent offers. At 33, this will likely be his last deal that could go for more than 3 years. To make it worth turning down his $16 mil option, I could see him asking over $35 mil for 3 years. If he was going to stay with the Cubs, you think they would have just reworked the deal. FWIW, Ramirez' agent seems to have Jim leaving Chicago, but again, FWIW worth on what Agents say.

Cubs will get draft pick compensation if he leaves, and other teams won't mind signing him as much as he is only a type-B FA because of his down year in 2010.

jamokes
10-31-2011, 06:23 AM
I would NEVER want the White Sox to acquire a player like Ramirez, he is nothing but a dog.

doublem23
10-31-2011, 09:05 AM
FWIW, the option for the 2012 season on Aramis' contract is a club option; the Cubs are turning it down, not Aramis, there's no way he's going to make $16 M on the open market next season.

soxfanreggie
10-31-2011, 09:11 AM
FWIW, the option for the 2012 season on Aramis' contract is a club option; the Cubs are turning it down, not Aramis, there's no way he's going to make $16 M on the open market next season.

The way it's structured is really a mutual option that they both have to want, he can void and forfeit it.

Goose
10-31-2011, 09:44 AM

It is a mutual option, not a team option. I think the way it works is that either one of them can pick up the option and it would kick in. Since they are both turning it down, it is nullified.

kittle42
10-31-2011, 10:34 AM

It was a mutual option and the Cubs exercised theirs. Ramirez declined. So he did leave $16mil on the table. He is thinking he can get 3-4 years.

http://rotoworld.com/player/mlb/2592/aramis-ramirez

Goose
10-31-2011, 11:13 AM
It was a mutual option and the Cubs exercised theirs. Ramirez declined. So he did leave $16mil on the table. He is thinking he can get 3-4 years.

Hmmm...OK...so I did not understand that. If AR picked up the option and the Cubs did not, then he would then be a free agent too, correct?

chisoxjtrain
10-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Hmmm...OK...so I did not understand that. If AR picked up the option and the Cubs did not, then he would then be a free agent too, correct?

Yeah, but the Cubs would have to buy him out at around 2 million or something like that.

DumpJerry
10-31-2011, 11:50 AM
He went to bed last night hoping to play for LaRussa.

gobears1987
10-31-2011, 02:00 PM
The only Ramirez I care about has a name that begins with an "A" but it certainly isn't Aramis.

GlassSox
10-31-2011, 02:13 PM
He went to bed last night hoping to play for LaRussa.

Does he know anything about working in a book store.

DumpJerry
10-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Does he know anything about working in a book store.
He can direct you to the self-help books with no effort whatsoever.

doublem23
10-31-2011, 02:24 PM

Well paint me wrong, that's the first time I had heard it was a mutual option all year.

Yes, but in order for the Cubs to decline the option on him, they'd have to pay him $2 M and then they would not be able to offer him abritration and recieve compensation draft picks for him when he signs elsewhere. Now, they save $2 M and will end up with a sandwich round pick since he's likely going to be a Type B FA.

PatK
10-31-2011, 02:53 PM
If he declined, it's the worst move since David Caruso left NYPD Blue.

DumpJerry
10-31-2011, 03:56 PM
Well paint me wrong, that's the first time I had heard it was a mutual option all year.
You're not alone. Cot's (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-cubs_112114177768677294.html) says it's a team option.

soxfanreggie
10-31-2011, 04:48 PM
You're not alone. Cot's (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-cubs_112114177768677294.html) says it's a team option.

They do but about two lines below they mention his ability to void and forfeit it.

soxnut1018
10-31-2011, 06:55 PM
I would NEVER want the White Sox to acquire a player like Ramirez, he is nothing but a dog.

A dog with a career OPS of .842.

Tragg
10-31-2011, 08:26 PM
There's no way he's getting anywhere near $16 mill a year. But I suppose he can get $25 Mill over 3, which to him is probably better return that he'd get over the next 3 years taking the $16 this year and praying after this year.

DumpJerry
10-31-2011, 09:10 PM
They do but about two lines below they mention his ability to void and forfeit it.
Only if the team picks up his option. He had a player option for the 2011 season.

soxfanreggie
10-31-2011, 10:43 PM
I could easily see him getting an offer for say 3 years, $30-33 million, but I can't see a team committing more than $36 million to him over 3 years. I guess it depends on third base needs around the league. This is probably his last chance at a deal of three years or longer though.

doublem23
11-01-2011, 09:24 AM
I could easily see him getting an offer for say 3 years, $30-33 million, but I can't see a team committing more than $36 million to him over 3 years. I guess it depends on third base needs around the league. This is probably his last chance at a deal of three years or longer though.

This is a pretty weak 3B market... After Aramis you have Andy LaRoche, Wilson Betemit, Kevin Kouzmanoff, Eric Chavez, and then a bunch of UIF guys who can play 3B if needed.

g0g0
11-01-2011, 10:18 AM
He wanted 3-5 years and the Cubs weren't going to pay him. They knew he was going to turn it down and test FA so they offered it to him to save the aforementioned $2 million. Good move by the Cubs...though I don't know who they'll have playing 3B next year lol.

Brian26
11-01-2011, 08:40 PM

I'm with jamokes on this one. This guy makes Alex Rios look motivated.

soxinem1
11-02-2011, 02:33 PM
I'm with jamokes on this one. This guy makes Alex Rios look motivated.

Sometimes talent and results overcome the visual efforts. Most of Ramirez off-years look better or equal to Rios career seasons.

Do realize his off years eclipsed the accomplishments of any White Sox 3B since Ventura left, minus Crede's 2006 season?

Believe me, I do not like the guy, however the results are there.

DumpJerry
11-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Sometimes talent and results overcome the visual efforts. Most of Ramirez off-years look better or equal to Rios career seasons.

Do realize his off years eclipsed the accomplishments of any White Sox 3B since Ventura left, minus Crede's 2006 season?

Believe me, I do not like the guy, however the results are there.
Aramis is one of those guys who becomes a hit and RBI machine when it does not matter late in the season or late in a blow-out game.

kittle42
11-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Aramis is one of those guys who becomes a hit and RBI machine when it does not matter late in the season or late in a blow-out game.

shoota rules!

cws05champ
11-03-2011, 11:21 AM

Not to mention, he had the option to go to a contender at the deadline this past year and turned it down. Basically not wanting to get into any pressure situation and screwing the Cubs from trading for young talent.

I know these guys are human and have families etc....but they are not normal people. He would only be moving for 2 months, in the summer while kids out out of school and has the $ to bring them anywhere he may go.

Foulke You
11-07-2011, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't call him a dog but he is definitely a flawed player. He seems to always start out slow and then hits for good power during the Summer months. I wouldn't say he hits meaningless HRs all the time. I remember him having a lot of big HRs for the Cubs in their "It's Gonna Happen" 2008 season. Ramirez is a terrible defender. If he didn't have Derrek Lee fishing out a lot of his errant throws all those years, his error total would have been even higher than it was. Aramis might regret turning down that option the Cubs offered him. I'm not sure he'll get as much as he thinks on the open market.

palehozenychicty
11-07-2011, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't call him a dog but he is definitely a flawed player. He seems to always start out slow and then hits for good power during the Summer months. I wouldn't say he hits meaningless HRs all the time. I remember him having a lot of big HRs for the Cubs in their "It's Gonna Happen" 2008 season. Ramirez is a terrible defender. If he didn't have Derrek Lee fishing out a lot of his errant throws all those years, his error total would have been even higher than it was. Aramis might regret turning down that option the Cubs offered him. I'm not sure he'll get as much as he thinks on the open market.

Teams like the Phillies and Brewers have a need for 3B, but not the budget. He'll find a team. Power is becoming a harder commodity in the game at certain positions, and the FA market is weak. Trade market could be a different story (Wright).

thomas35forever
11-15-2011, 12:39 PM
It's official.
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7235842/aramis-ramirez-back-chicago-cubs