PDA

View Full Version : Chicago area couple buy ‘Field of Dreams’ site

Fenway
10-30-2011, 03:55 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/8506610-417/chicago-area-couple-buy-field-of-dreams-site.html

roylestillman
10-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Believe it or not, I think this guy is one of our own. I just PM'ed him to see if he'd post to give us some info.

DumpJerry
10-30-2011, 08:04 PM
Believe it or not, I think this guy is one of our own. I just PM'ed him to see if he'd post to give us some info.
You mean it's not you, Mr. Stillman?:tongue:

Hollywood13
10-30-2011, 09:50 PM

Yes I am. I wanted your name but it was taken:smile: My current name? My son's nickname and number. It's going to be cool and I welcome WSI's advice. One thing I can guarantee, we will not forget Shoeless Joe and our White Sox!

tebman
10-30-2011, 09:59 PM
Yes I am. I wanted your name but it was taken:smile: My current name? My son's nickname and number. It's going to be cool and I welcome WSI's advice. One thing I can guarantee, we will not forget Shoeless Joe and our White Sox!

Congratulations! This is great news for that site. I remember reading that the property had been held by two different owners and there had been some past contention about maintaining the ballfield. Glad you're on the case.

Oh, and :welcome:

Lip Man 1
10-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Congrats to you and your family and best wishes in the project. I think when the complex is ready to open if you'll contact the Sox they may be able to have a few former players attend.

If you'd rather, contact me and I'll bring it to the attention of the folks I know in the front office. I think this is something that they'd be happy to participate in.

Lip

DumpJerry
10-30-2011, 10:43 PM
I have been there twice and really enjoyed visiting it. The first time was before there was "peace" between the two owners, so there were two souvenir shops and restrictions on what part of the field you could use their equipment on. The second time, the dispute had been resolved. I really love how peaceful the whole scene is. Also, is there a way to let people who visit Galena, Illinois know they're not too far from the farm? That should draw more visitors. U.S. 20 goes from Galena to Dyersville....

manders_01
10-30-2011, 10:59 PM

Wow, how cool! Congratulations!

ChiSoxGal85
10-30-2011, 11:56 PM
Wow...Congratulations on your purchase, Hollywood13! I thought your plans for the area on the ballpark complex were very interesting. My son and I made our trip to the Field of Dreams on the way home from a USSSA tournament in Kansas City a few years back. It was such a neat experience for him to get to actually play on the field. The addition of such a complex should bring a ton of visitors to the Field. Best of luck, and hope you keep us posted!

HangWiffum
10-31-2011, 12:14 AM
i was there last year and it was one of the best experiences of my life. i definitely plan on going back. i was running around like a child and my girlfriend was a saint putting up with me and my requests for pictures in every inch of the place. i agree that there should be some advertising in Galena. That's where we went on our mini vacation and hit up the field because it was close.

voodoochile
10-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Okay that's a cynical title, but the property where the movie was shot has been sold and they gonna build a baseball/softball complex on the site.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-field-of-dreams-property-sold-complex-planned-20111030,0,4028260.story

mrwag
10-31-2011, 03:09 PM
Very cool, but I honestly hope it doesn't lose the appeal and serene-ness of the setting. That's part of the appeal - it's just a ballfield out in the middle of nowhere in a corn field.

manders_01
10-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Very cool, but I honestly hope it doesn't lose the appeal and serene-ness of the setting. That's part of the appeal - it's just a ballfield out in the middle of nowhere in a corn field.

You're not the only one with that question: Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/New-8216-Field-of-Dreams-8217-owners-plan-bi?urn=mlb-wp26100). However, it sounds like this place is very near and dear to the Stillman's heart and they will do their best to preserve it.

gobears1987
11-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Congrats on your purchase. I'm very happy to see that the land is in the hands of a Sox fan who will ensure that the field remains a place where those who love baseball can continue to visit.

Hollywood13
11-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Here is a question for all of my fellow WSI members: What would you like added to Field Of Dreams?

Nellie_Fox
11-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Here is a question for all of my fellow WSI members: What would you like added to Field Of Dreams?I haven't been there since my kids were young, but plan to take my grandchildren when they get old enough. So, I haven't seen it in a long time, but my knee-jerk reaction is "change nothing." However, you're going to eventually get a generation that hasn't seen the movie, so they may not appreciate the left-field "wall" being a corn field.

DumpJerry
11-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Here is a question for all of my fellow WSI members: What would you like added to Field Of Dreams?
A sign banning Ty Cobb because "none of us like him.":wink:

asindc
11-01-2011, 03:56 PM
I haven't been there since my kids were young, but plan to take my grandchildren when they get old enough. So, I haven't seen it in a long time, but my knee-jerk reaction is "change nothing." However, you're going to eventually get a generation that hasn't seen the movie, so they may not appreciate the left-field "wall" being a corn field.

Sacrilege!

Nellie_Fox
11-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Sacrilege!I know.

asindc
11-01-2011, 03:58 PM
A sign banning Ty Cobb because "none of us like him.":wink:

:thumbsup:

Fenway
11-01-2011, 04:21 PM

In the farmhouse driveway a VW bus like the one Ray drove to Boston and then Minnesota. :smile:

Patrick134
11-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Hire Nancy Faust.

Chez
11-01-2011, 04:46 PM

Nacho helmets.

AnkleSox
11-01-2011, 04:50 PM

Shoeless Joe Hall of Fame Plaque.

mrwag
11-01-2011, 07:56 PM
I was there 2 years ago with my Dad and my wife and kids, representing 3 generations playing baseball together at once. I don't think it needed anything more than what was there already.

Hollywood13
11-01-2011, 11:41 PM
In the farmhouse driveway a VW bus like the one Ray drove to Boston and then Minnesota. :smile:

But what will I drive then?:D: good suggestion

Hollywood13
11-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Shoeless Joe Hall of Fame Plaque.

I like it!!

roylestillman
11-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Once again, sorry for stealing your name, but as I said at the time billnaharodney was already taken. I agree with most that the actual house and field used in the movie should remain unchanged. (I even get a little skittish about a dome looming in the background.) How about incorporating the ghosts of former ballparks into one of your new fields, with either genuine or replicated artifacts from closed and demolished parks.

Hollywood13
11-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Once again, sorry for stealing your name, but as I said at the time billnaharodney was already taken. I agree with most that the actual house and field used in the movie should remain unchanged. (I even get a little skittish about a dome looming in the background.) How about incorporating the ghosts of former ballparks into one of your new fields, with either genuine or replicated artifacts from closed and demolished parks.

Wow another good one. And don't worry about the dome, we will make sure it is in a good spot not to detract from the site. As this progresses, I will be able to make our actual drawings available to WSI members-- I'll even try to do it first here.

Rocky Soprano
11-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Awesome! Congrats on the purchase and best of luck.
I've never had the opportunity to visit, hope to do so next summer.

Hollywood13
11-03-2011, 08:05 AM
And here's a challenge: can anyone explain why we are calling it allstar ballpark heaven?

TomBradley72
11-03-2011, 10:52 AM
I think it might be kind of cool to have a "mini" Field of Dreams in the complex for wiffleball type play- good for little kids, etc.

Hollywood13
11-03-2011, 01:32 PM
I think it might be kind of cool to have a "mini" Field of Dreams in the complex for wiffleball type play- good for little kids, etc.

All of these ideas are awesome. That is why WSI is the best.

hawkjt
11-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Congrats on this purchase!
Iowa native here,who has family that still live in Dyersville area.
We used to go to Farley and Dyersville to watch town baseball when I was a youth visiting my cousins.
Hope your big plans work out well, just kind of wondering how the whole baseball complex will be used,traveling tournys where teams stay weekends,that sort of deal?

ChiSoxGal85
11-04-2011, 05:54 PM
I was just watching "Field of Dreams" on TV right now... I don't know exactly how the property you were able to purchase is situated, but it would be ideal if you could leave the outfield sightlines as it is in the movie - in other words, the view from behind the plate looking out to right, center, and left fields would still be nothing but cornfields.

And as hawkjt asked, I was curious as how the new part of the complex will be used - for youth tournaments? Like Cooperstown Dreams Park, possibly? I only drove through the area and didn't stay there - are there currently hotels in the area for tournament players and their families?

Hollywood13
11-05-2011, 07:59 AM
I was just watching "Field of Dreams" on TV right now... I don't know exactly how the property you were able to purchase is situated, but it would be ideal if you could leave the outfield sightlines as it is in the movie - in other words, the view from behind the plate looking out to right, center, and left fields would still be nothing but cornfields.

And as hawkjt asked, I was curious as how the new part of the complex will be used - for youth tournaments? Like Cooperstown Dreams Park, possibly? I only drove through the area and didn't stay there - are there currently hotels in the area for tournament players and their families?

The corn and sight lines for the main field will remain as is. No change there. We love the movie and realize the beauty of it. Beyond the corn where the all-stars left the field and disappeared will be a new type of heaven. Tournament fields for youth baseball and softball.

There are some hotels already and Dubuque is only 20 minutes away and Galena is not far either.

Fenway
02-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Crain's looks at the project.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20120218/ISSUE03/302189983/field-of-dreams-2-0

Mike if you are reading this has your family approached the White Sox for some help. It might be a way for the team to improve its footprint in Iowa.

Lip Man 1
02-21-2012, 04:38 PM
I love the Dad's sweatshirt and cap in the photo being a Rice grad myself.

Lip

MISoxfan
02-23-2012, 12:26 AM
Didn't it get divided into two lots and now has a power line running through it? I've been there before and I thought that was the deal, with a different owner on each lot.